• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEPCO (Fukushima NPP owner) turns a huge profit 3 years after the disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/business/tepco-books-y438-65-billion-net-profit

I doubt this post will get much attention but here it goes.

As the thread title states, TEPCO, the company responsible for the Fukushima nuclear power plant meltdowns, coverup, and the main party responsible for subsequent botched cleanup and safety of the disabled Fukushima Daichi power plant, have actually managed to publicly post record profit in the 2013-14 fiscal year. According to the news article linked below, TEPCO made 438.65 billion yen or in US dollars 4.3 billion through rate hikes, limited staff pay cuts, layoffs, and a trillion yen loan from the government.

I really am curious how they came up with the numbers. It really seems to me as if they aren't factoring in the realistic costs for the continued upkeep of Fukushima Daiichi and whatever money the they owe to the public.

This is an absolute disgrace in my eyes as they have continually proven they're reluctance to improve, refusal to provide renumeration for the refugees, and their continued amateur approach of handling the Fukushima Daiichi plant and surrounding area. Yet they get a seemingly free pass from one of the largest government infusions of money to a private corporation, now mostly owned by the govt, and on top of that they're allowed to fleece their customers with 8 to 10% higher rates since 2012 when they were already proven to be overcharging for decades.

Seriously fuck this company. If TEPCO were actually making an honest effort to help the refugees with renumeration, and not continue with their long established culture secrecy and misinformation, I'd be more comfortable with this news as the money would be used wisely. But these are profits for the company to pocket and use as they see fit. I've said it many times before but TEPCO should've been split apart or dissolved as a company nearly 2 years back. I really would like to think that in any other country the same kind of company would've been hung out to dry long ago. Business as usual for Japan. Corporation first people last... But I suppose that's status quo for any modern nation.

Sorry for any typos or weird formatting. I posted from my phone.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They raised prices on all utilities like 2 or 3 times since the disaster so yeah.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
TEPCO is emperor god scam company. My monthly electricity bill is sickening ( ´_⊃`)

Abe pls.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
whilst i am sure there are some huge levels of shistery going on, they still are on the hook for huge settlement claims

However, yeah, still smells like a 10 year old kipper stuck behind a radiator.

Ultrabum

TEPCO is emperor god scam company. My monthly electricity bill is sickening ( ´_⊃`)

Abe pls.

This post powered by disgruntled consumer bot.

Seriously, this is crazy. I also hate my power company :(

Abe pls.
Yep I'm a customer as well. If I lived closer to Nagano I wouldn't have been affected by the rolling blackouts during the summer of 2011 and all the subsequent government approved price hikes. The really ironic thing is that Japan did such a good job cutting back on power consumption since the 2011 disasters that it's most likely cut into the bottom line.

So any efforts to save by a private customer like myself, is completely negated by the rate increases. Also we pay a tax for the restoration of northern Japan on top. The tax isn't so much of a problem but it most likely takes additional financial responsibility off the shoulders of TEPCO. Sickening.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That "any talk about nuclear energy is considered state secret" bill passed right?

whilst i am sure there are some huge levels of shistery going on, they still are on the hook for huge settlement claims

However, yeah, still smells like a 10 year old kipper stuck behind a radiator.
They are on the hook for now but are doing what they can to reduce their responsibly in the form of cutting off payments to anyone who decides to not return to Fukushima when their cities are prematurely reopened by the government, and also if you live in any region that was officially decontaminated by the government. This doesn't include TEPCO paying for permanently lost property, lost work, psychological therapy, and lost livelihoods. With over 100,000 refugees still living in temporary shelters to thugs date, I'd be reluctant to say they're on the hook for anything.

That "any talk about nuclear energy is considered state secret" bill passed right?
Yep in a way. The secrets law passed last December was created most likely with the disaster effort in mind, but was probably more due to PM Abe's drive to change the Japanese condition and limit the public's rights to keep the oligarchy strong in hasty defense against quick information sites like twitter.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yep in a way. The secrets law passed last December was created most likely with the disaster effort in mind, but was probably more due to PM Abe's drive to change the Japanese condition and limit the public's rights to keep the oligarchy strong in hasty defense against quick information sites like twitter.

How has that worked out so far? Have any people been sued for spreading alleged secret intel or has the deterrent worked?

How has that worked out so far? Have any people been sued for speading alleged secret intel or has the deterrent worked?
Nobody has been prosecuted under the secrets law yet. It's only been four months since its approval . I'm not quite sure when it will start to be used but the fact that it exists is worrisome.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody has been prosecuted under the secrets law yet. It's only been four months since its approval . I'm not quite sure when it will start to be used but the fact that it exists is worrisome.

It absolutely is.

May16

Holy fuck this is the first I've heard of this. That is some nasty sickening shit right there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...nationalw-hailed-by-u-s-denounced-by-japanese

anyone curious about the secrecy law you can get more info here in this informative NPR webcast.

The gist of it is that anyone who disseminates information, including journalists, that's classified as a national secret by the Japanese government can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. Anything deemed a secret will be held from the public for 60 years.

The way secrets are classified is fuzzy at best. It's left up to the interpretation of any government official. This can be for anything, including any bribes or what have you. The secrets law is worthy of a topic of its own really.

Although the current political party in charge of the government swears up and down that this law will not be abused, it's very hard to be taken seriously. The law was ram rodded through parliament despite very vocal public outcry.

WoodWERD

Any decent reads on the current status of the clean-up? Last I remember it was on the brink of chaos and then it just went quiet.

Abounder

Banned
"Many homeless people are just put into dormitories, and the fees for lodging and food are automatically docked from their wages," said Aoki, the pastor. "Then at the end of the month, they're left with no pay at all."
---
Obayashi, which is one of more than 20 major contractors involved in government-funded radiation removal projects, has not been accused of any wrongdoing. But the spate of arrests has shown that members of Japan's three largest criminal syndicates - Yamaguchi-gumi, Sumiyoshi-kai and Inagawa-kai - had set up black-market recruiting agencies under Obayashi.
---
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9BT00520131230?irpc=932

They better be able to turn a profit after the gangs used homeless people as basically slave labor for the 'clean up'.

Holy fuck this is the first I've heard of this. That is some nasty sickening shit right there.

"Germany's Weimar Constitution was changed into the Nazi Constitution before anyone knew," he said in comments widely reported by the Japanese media. "It was changed before anyone else noticed. Why don't we learn from that method?"

-Taro Aso, Japanese deputy prime minister and finance minister

To be fair he did retract those comments, but it shows just how different and in my opinion volatile the political climate can be in the far east.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...nationalw-hailed-by-u-s-denounced-by-japanese

anyone curious about the secrecy law you can get more info here in this informative NPR webcast.

The gist of it is that anyone who disseminates information, including journalists, that's classified as a national secret by the Japanese government can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. Anything deemed a secret will be held from the public for 60 years.

The way secrets are classified is fuzzy at best. It's left up to the interpretation of any government official. This can be for anything, including any bribes or what have you. The secrets law is worthy of a topic of its own really.

Although the current political party in charge of the government swears up and down that this law will not be abused, it's very hard to be taken seriously. The law was ram rodded through parliament despite very vocal public outcry.
Big brother wouldn't do such a thing

May16

Although the current political party in charge of the government swears up and down that this law will not be "abused"
It being used at all falls under my definition of abuse. I'm interested in (and afraid of) the government's.

"Germany's Weimar Constitution was changed into the Nazi Constitution before anyone knew," he said in comments widely reported by the Japanese media. "It was changed before anyone else noticed. Why don't we learn from that method?"

-Taso Abo, Japanese deputy prime minister and finance minister
He later said to his friends, "Yeah and like, nobody remembers all the really good stuff Hitler did, you know? It's not fair."

Man, this whole situation is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom