• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Izayoi

Banned
8skDm.png

~ The Exiled Realm of Arborea ~

Well, the old thread is over two years old now and was never updated, so I figure it's time for a new one. I'll do my best to keep this one updated with the most recent information and developments. If you have something that you think should be in the OP let me know.

Recently, the English-language version community preview event (an early, small-scale closed beta, basically) started. As this is the second time that I wasn't selected for a beta, I went ahead and bought a Korean account and VPN, and am currently downloading the game (all 22GB of it). While waiting, I've been sifting through videos and media and have come up with a pretty decent selection of stuff to share. I will say that I'm not very good with Photoshop and as such this is going to be pretty bare-bones, without all of the fancy banners and stuff, but I'll do what I can.

All images except for the class icons are thumbnailed, click to view the full-size versions.

~ Combat ~

TERA is unique in that it uses a free-targeting system, unlike almost all currently-existing MMOs. If you've played Vindictus, the combat system is very similar. Rather than being a tile-clicking game like most MMOs, it strives to keep the player more involved in combat by forcing them to actively target their skills (heals included), build combos, and constantly be in motion.

Damage is location-based. Aim for the head or try to get behind monsters in order to dish out more punishment. Success against especially powerful monsters requires that you exploit this facet of combat heavily.

~ World/Lore ~

Map

Story

From the official site:

The world of TERA began millennia ago when two titans of unimaginable power, Arun and Shara, met in a formless void. For reasons we can only guess, they fell asleep. And as they slept, Tera took shape around them.

If you look at a map of the world today, you can see Arun and Shara—their sleeping bodies became the two continents that bear their names. Centuries passed, and deserts, mountains, rivers, and forests grew upon Arun and Shara. Yet still they slept.

Even for an omnipotent titan, every sleep is a chance to dream. As Arun and Shara slept, their dreams came to life—life in the literal sense. Arun’s and Shara’s dreams coalesced into the first living beings to call TERA home. These first creatures, twelve in all, had godlike power. Yet it wasn’t long before schemes and rivalries emerged and the gods were at each other’s throats.

All the while, Arun and Shara continued to dream, and their new dreams took shapes familiar to the gods. These new creatures—the mortals--were far more numerous, but far less powerful.

Arun dreamed of ambitious elves, clever humans, honorbound amani, powerful giants, scheming devas, and mischievous poporis. Shara dreamed of sly sikandari, dark gulas and vampirs, fierce wendigos, strange faeries, and serpentine nagas.

In time, the twelve gods would go to war—first against each other directly, and then drawing the mortal races into their battles. These divine wars left most of the gods dead, imprisoned, or otherwise diminished.

The mortal races didn’t escape unscathed. Some—like the sikandari, and most of the giants—were wiped out. Others—like the barakas and the castanics—emerged from the conflict itself. And as TERA begins, the humans, high elves, amani, castanics, barakas, and poporis have banded together…

…and together they’ll fight a menace from beyond their world: the Argons, a metallic race from the Underworld. Unless stopped, they’ll destroy Arun and Shara, and then the dream will end for everyone.

~ Classes ~

There are eight classes in TERA. For specific information on each one, check out this site.

~ Races ~

There are seven races in TERA. The race you choose will have no effect on actual gameplay, the differences being merely cosmetic (although some hardcore PvPers may be interested in playing a smaller race in order to minimize the size of their hitbox). From left to right:

Amani (Male), Amani (Female), Baraka (Genderless), Castanic (Female), Castanic (Male), High Elf (Female), High Elf (Male), Human (Female), Human (Male), Popori (Male only), Elin (Female only).

It should be noted that the Popori and the Elin are technically the same race. The Elin created the Popori from their own essence. Because of the whole Westernization twaddle the real story behind them is muddled right now, and the race is officially called the Popori by En Masse, even though they are technically Elins.

~ The Goods ~

Screenshots

Screenshots were taken by TheOctagon.

Videos

Not a lot to put here... If you have any good videos to add let me know. I will add stuff as I go along, and I will probably be taking some videos of my own as well.

Allementhia to Frontera (Pegasus Flight)
Westonia to Allemantheian (Horseback)
Boss Tanking
Instance Bosses

Boxart

z11hF.jpg

~ Links ~

Official English Site
Official English Forums
Official Korean Site
Bluehole Studios (English)
Bluehole Studios (Korean)
Hangame
En Masse Entertainment

~ Release Date ~

- Mat 1, 2012

Izayoi

Banned
~ GAF Korean Retail Guild Information ~

Getting set up:

Please visit this site for information on getting an account, downloading/patching the game, and choosing a race/class. If you have any questions that are left unanswered by the site, please feel free to ask me either via PM or by posting in the thread.

Contacting me in-game:

My main (and the guild founder) is named "Yin". You can send me a message by typing:

Code:
/w Yin messagehere

into the chat window. If you don't get a response I'm offline and will be on later, or you're on the wrong server. Send me a PM on GAF if you don't get a response and I'll let you know which one it is. If you have a Steam account, check my GAF profile. The Xfire username is actually my Steam one.

Ventrilo server:

We have a Ventrilo server. Once you're in game let me know and I can give you the information.

Slash commands and hotkeys:

Many of the / commands work using Roman characters. Here's a list of the most basic ones.

Code:
/w [Player Name] messagehere          Whisper a player.
/p messagehere          Send a message to party chat.
/g messagehere          Send a message to guild chat.

Open Quest Log: L
Open Inventory: I
Open Options: O
Open Player Card: P
Open Guild Window: G
Open Skill List: K

You can hit Control+Z to hide your HUD and take pretty pictures.

Configuring chat:

Thanks to Hobs for this tutorial.

Just a small guide to get people started.

crT6Z.jpg

nRDXy.jpg

By doing this, you can filter out all the other chat in the game, stuff that you wouldn't understand without knowing Korean.

Miscellaneous tips:

Yellow quests: Non-story quests
Orange/red quests: Story quests
Blue quests: Guild quests, reward guild medallions used to level up the guild.

The five-man in the first area can be done with two people (was able to duo it with a Mystic/Berserker pair). You get an NPC who will assist you.

Thanks to Hobs:

More Basics

When you press ESC, you get this screen
mmOPr.jpg

Press Channel
XB5zN.jpg

Press Logout
jXCYY.jpg

Friends
NsmVs.jpg

Bank/Post Office
QMnwL.jpg

Bank Screen
51yxU.jpg

Post Office Screen
NQBoo.jpg

6FPm6.jpg

Extra notes:
- Two types of crafting runes, one for armor, one for weapons.
- Once you rest to 120%(?) vitality you can use resting charms for bonuses
- Chest can double your resource count or destroy it?

That's all for now. I will keep this updated.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
XwHDGl.jpg

I wanna fight it, go in it, fish it (o_O)?, anything to it, that was amazing to see in the video

Might not even go for FFXIV for PS3 and try to go for TERA overall

Blizzard

Banned
The graphics are amazing. I enjoyed TheOctagon's screens from it. Since I never saw it answered when someone else asked, does anyone know if you can go inside the buildings in the areas that actually have cities/buildings? Or is it primarily outside environments only?

Izayoi

Banned
vidal said:
This is the only MMO that's on my radar, aside from The Old Republic.
Pretty much. Well, GW2 for me as well, but we'll see how that pans out.

GraveRobberX said:
http://i.imgur.com/XwHDGl.jpg[IMG]

I wanna fight it, go in it, fish it (o.O)?, anything to it, that was amazing to see in the video

Might not even go for FFXIV for PS3 and try to go for TERA overall[/quote]
FFXIV is still a wreck right now, isn't it?

[quote=Blizzard]The graphics are amazing. I enjoyed TheOctagon's screens from it. Since I never saw it answered when someone else asked, does anyone know if you can go inside the buildings in the areas that actually have cities/buildings? Or is it primarily outside environments only?[/quote]
There are several inside environments (mainly in cities) but most of it takes place outdoors.

Blizzard said:
The graphics are amazing. I enjoyed TheOctagon's screens from it.
His pics alone made this game go from off my radar to a huge green blob on it. The art looks so good. I also LOVE how the races are unique and crazy looking. I tried Rift and all the races were just standard fantasy affair. Here we got a huge fat golem thing, a giant minotaur, a panda, bunch of others, this is gonna be epic.

Awesome job with the thread.

Izayoi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Is this F2P or P2P?
Retail box with a monthly subscription. No cash shop.

Heavy said:
His pics alone made this game go from off my radar to a huge green blob on it. The art looks so good. I also LOVE how the classes are unique and crazy looking. I tried Rift and all the races were just standard fantasy affair. Here we got a huge fat golem thing, a giant minotaur, a panda, bunch of others, this is gonna be epic.
Yeah. I love how diverse everything is. No two areas look even remotely similar.

Izayoi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Really don't want to pay monthly :/ but this game does look interesting so I will give it a shot.
Honestly the cash shop model has started to wear on me. Vindictus is a shining recent example of why I don't like cash shops and I think the game will be better off with just a monthly sub.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Amani (Male), Popori (Male only)

Main is going to be the Amani, and my toon/reserve = Popori, either Panda (50%), or Red Racoon (25%) or even Bear (25%) Teddy Ruxpin style

Elin (Female only) = Why do I get the feeling icecream and his ilk are lurking, awaiting the day for this delicious treat

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
No more MMOs for me. Never again!
You will succumb. Don't try and fight it.

JWong said:
Beta happening yet?

I signed a while ago.
Right now it's a very small closed beta for active community members/contest winners. There are plans for multiple open betas before launch, though.

GraveRobberX said:
Amani (Male), Popori (Male only)

Main is going to be the Amani, and my toon/reserve = Popori, either Panda (50%), or Red Racoon (25%) or even Bear (25%) Teddy Ruxpin style

Elin (Female only) = Why do I get the feeling icecream and his ilk are lurking, awaiting the day for this delicious treat
Haven't decided on a race yet. I'll probably do one per class or something.

Dizzy-4U said:
Uff, same here. I almost forgot I created an account there.
If you're inactive you probably won't get an invite until the non-community preview events.

maniac-kun said:
Dont like the art style at all.
To each his own, but I think it's an awfully nice break from "BROWN, GRITTY, REALISTIC".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The last fun I had with Korean MMOs was in the R.O.S.E. Beta.

... Will keep an eye on this, though.

markot said:
Why isnt teh panda race on the box art?!
Panda dude really should be on there so it doesn't look like every other MMO (Rift for one).

Reeeeeeeaaaaalllllyyy don't want to get into an MMO but TheOctagon's screenies and the art style in general is something I would love to spend some time with. Hopefully I can get into a beta before having to think about dropping money on this. Popori is the cutest thing ever.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The race on the far right in the OP looks almost, but not quite catgirls. Keep trying, Korea!
Good news for you is that there are a bunch of different ear/tail combinations to choose from.

markot said:
Why isnt teh panda race on the box art?!
Not mainstream enough for a Western audience, as awesome as they are.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man this thread made me think the game was coming out next week or something. Made me really excited for no reason :(

Clott

The art in this game is insane, there were page after page dedicated to this in the screenshot thread. This and Old Republic have a chance to get me to play an MMO again, I tried to dive back in with EVE but that game is just so hard to stick to.

JWong

Banned
When I was thinking Tera is going to be better than Rift, I am sure I'm right.

Just tried Rift and it does nothing different and makes everything more complicated.

Looking forward to Tera's combat.

Izayoi

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Man this thread made me think the game was coming out next week or something. Made me really excited for no reason :(
Sorry if I gave you that impression. I excluded OT from the title just for that reason. It's not meant to be an OT really, just an updated place for discussion on the game.

There will be more betas soon. You can sign up on the official forums.

markot said:
I hope Atari is only involved in shipping and nothing more >_<
They are just publishing. En Masse Entertainment is doing translations and level-curve tweaking, but the main game is developed by Bluehole.

---

It seems I was inadvertently using TheOctagon's screenshots. I apologize, and will give credit where due. (I got them from a zip that somebody posted on 4chan.)

Jerk

Banned
Always thought that this game looked graphically impressive, but I have never really like much of the non-environmental art.

Still, I will most likely play the standard free month.

Have been watching and highly anticipating this since the korean beta tests and launch. Still trying to decide between an Elin, male Castanic, or male High Elf. I don't typically play female characters but the other male races don't really appeal to me (what's with the Gears of War meathead human models?).

Izayoi

Banned
Clott said:
The art in this game is insane, there were page after page dedicated to this in the screenshot thread. This and Old Republic have a chance to get me to play an MMO again, I tried to dive back in with EVE but that game is just so hard to stick to.
Yeah, EVE is brutal and terribly boring when you're starting out. It's a very hard game to get invested in, and it's even worse when you lose everything after you've spent so long building it up. (That's why I quit. Shit is too hardcore for me.)

JWong said:
When I was thinking Tera is going to be better than Rift, I am sure I'm right.

Just tried Rift and it does nothing different and makes everything more complicated.

Looking forward to Tera's combat.
Yup, that was my problem with Rift as well. Too many redundant classes, too many redundant skills. Impossible to manage even a fraction of it. Just too much shit going on for its own good.

TERA takes what was good about Vindictus and turns it into an actual MMO. That's what I'm most excited about.

Jerk said:
Always thought that this game looked graphically impressive, but I have never really like much of the non-environmental art.
It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I love the look of the environments, too bad the game is full of anime catgirl bullshit and hideous cartoon armor. They at least stopped making every piece of gear asymmetrical though, if that screenshot is any indication.

Izayoi

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Have been watching and highly anticipating this since the korean beta tests and launch. Still trying to decide between an Elin, male Castanic, or male High Elf. I don't typically play female characters but the other male races don't really appeal to me (what's with the Gears of War meathead human models?).
It's just that particular combination of armor/model I think. Most don't look that beefy.

The character designs are very Korean. It's like they took Aion and increased everything's texture resolution a hundred times.

Since TERA's team is made up of NCSoft expats, maybe I shouldn't be surprised by that. I just hope it has more to do than just grind like your average NCSoft grindfest.

zlatko

Banned
Still really excited for this and Guild Wars 2.

After FFXIV bomba, and buying a new gaming PC just for FFXIV, I sort of need a MMO to help justify the purchase a bit more. I'm just glad there is a ton of other spectacular PC games that made the PC purchase worth it, but the main reason was for a MMO that would suck the hours out of me like FFXI did.

Izayoi said:
It's just that particular combination of armor/model I think. Most don't look that beefy.

Was talking about the human race. In the character creation they are displayed without armor and they are huge.

Sophia

So I watched that boss video....

I said Wow.

Any indication of how grindy it is? This looks like something I'd be interested in playing.

I want so bad for this to be Guild Wars style with no monthly fee. Even though I want to, I doubt I'll pay for another monthly MMO any time soon. Looks quite fun though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Marrshu said:
So I watched that boss video....

I said Wow.

Any indication of how grindy it is? This looks like something I'd be interested in playing.
Yes. It's Korean.

The M.O.B

Monthly Subscription? Forget that.

I know these MMO cost a crap ton to make but having to buy the game and then the Sub is BS. How much are the prices going to be, I would be willing to pay $80-100 for a year, anymore than that, forget it.

And yes I know tons of MMO's do monthly subs but I have never been interested in them.

It's just that this is one of the Most anticipated MMO's I have ever wanted, I usually play F2P ones.

Sad I am.

/rant

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Justin.tv has a bunch of live streams for this game most of the time.

Although one of them seems to ALWAYS be a group of power levelers.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The M.O.B said:

I know these MMO cost a crap ton to make but having to buy the game and then the Sub is BS. How much are the prices going to be, I would be willing to pay $80-100 for a year, anymore than that, forget it.

And yes I know tons of MMO's do monthly subs but I have never been interested in them.

It's just that this is one of the Most anticipated MMO's I have ever wanted, I usually play F2P ones.

Sad I am.

/rant
I absolutely HATE F2P models. I want a fee that gives me access to everything ;P

With that said, I really love the MMOs that sell you a lifetime sub for the cost of about 16 months of sub time (usually about $200)

Izayoi

Banned
Brazil said:
Yes. It's Korean.
Marrshu said:
That depresses me. Oh well.
Woah, hold up there guys.

It's being localized. That doesn't mean just translating. En Masse is also readjusting the leveling curve to eliminate grinding, as well as adding hundreds of brand new quests into the game.

I wouldn't worry about the grind. They know just as well as you and I do what killed Aion here, and they won't be falling into that same pitfall.

Izayoi

Banned
zlatko said:
Still really excited for this and Guild Wars 2.

After FFXIV bomba, and buying a new gaming PC just for FFXIV, I sort of need a MMO to help justify the purchase a bit more. I'm just glad there is a ton of other spectacular PC games that made the PC purchase worth it, but the main reason was for a MMO that would suck the hours out of me like FFXI did.
If you just built a PC you'll be able to max this with huge amounts of AA. The engine has been optimized incredibly well and runs on just about any modern-ish rig.

The M.O.B said:

Sad I am.

/rant
F2P and cash-shop MMOs are starting to wear on me. It ends up being way cheaper to just play regular monthly-sub based ones. If all cash shops did was charge for shit you didn't need it wouldn't be a problem, but that's never how it works in practice.

Top Bottom