• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

i'm really excited for this game, i've been following it for a long time now. i hope it releases this year in NA.

but i recently heard that the localization team is censoring the game? like changing up armor sets and art..they're not only changing translation/narration but even applying cosmetic changes, even tho its supposed to be an M rated game. thats kinda taking away my hype :/

Sykotik

As far as I know they're just adding pants to the small child-like race, rather than armor that shows panties. At least, that's all I've read about. Also, that patch isn't even planned to be put in at release, so you'll be able to see all the panties you can handle if you're an early buyer!

Sykotik said:
As far as I know they're just adding pants to the small child-like race, rather than armor that shows panties. At least, that's all I've read about. Also, that patch isn't even planned to be put in at release, so you'll be able to see all the panties you can handle if you're an early buyer!

do you have a link or something to this information cuz i'm clueless as to the details really.
i don't really care for that popori/midget race since i probably won't be using it but i was under the impression armor/clothing was changing in other areas too, as well as art (eg. female statues with boobs in the city) lol. im just hoping it stays true to their promise of M rated. plus i dont really like content being cut or censored, just in general, doesn't matter if its for violence or sexuality.

Cipherr

Izayoi said:
Woah, hold up there guys.

It's being localized. That doesn't mean just translating. En Masse is also readjusting the leveling curve to eliminate grinding, as well as adding hundreds of brand new quests into the game.

I wouldn't worry about the grind. They know just as well as you and I do what killed Aion here, and they won't be falling into that same pitfall.

Not enough lols in the world. This gets said everytime about Korean MMO's, and by every time I mean, every single time. I dont think I can convince myself to buy it this time.

Jerk

Banned
Cipherr said:
Not enough lols in the world. This gets said everytime about Korean MMO's, and by every time I mean, every single time. I dont think I can convince myself to buy it this time.

This is very true. Sadly.

What people fail to realise is that even scaled back these games are often still pretty grindy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Cipherr said:

People in Korea complained that leveling was too easy. I think it will turn out alright.

Sykotik

Here's a quote from the senior producer at en masse, just 3 weeks ago.

I am glad to see how passionate you guys are, so I wanted to clarify my statement about the elin, however I am afraid the answer is pretty underwhelming. The only planned change for the elin is that we will be adding colored tights to a few of the armor models. That's it, most of the armor models won't even change. While this change is worked on we have disabled the race from the upcoming Community Play Event but I assure you the elin will be back and playable by our live service. We will also be adding cool new content surrounding the elin and their history to the website, so look for that coming soon.

Seems like the change will be on live straight away, though I know I read otherwise before. Oh, well.

Izayoi

Banned
bigboss370 said:
plus i dont really like content being cut or censored, just in general, doesn't matter if its for violence or sexuality.
I'm with you 100% there. It's fairly easy to modify the client if you really want it back but what I'm upset about it the fact that they feel the need to change anything in the first place. Censorship is one of the few things that makes me really upset when it comes to videogames.

Noshino

I liked Vindictus and Continent of the Ninth, but unfortunately they still dungeon based.

Tera and Guild Wars 2 seem to be closer to the "Shadow of the Colossus" MMO that I have been wanting for a while, hopefully they both succeed.

Cipherr said:

Uh, grinding is on almost every MMO out there, even GAF's beloved (yet awfully boring and aged) WoW has grinding.

Also, Korean MMOs are the ones actually trying new concepts at a higher rate, specially trying to improve upon fast paced and action gameplay, something that can't be said about MMOs from most other regions.

Cipherr

Noshino said:
Uh, grinding is on almost every MMO out there, even GAF's beloved (yet awfully boring and aged) WoW has grinding.

Also, Korean MMOs are the ones actually trying new concepts at a higher rate, specially trying to improve upon fast paced and action gameplay, something that can't be said about MMOs from most other regions.

Oh, hell man, I agree with you. MMO's have a base in grinding. Its all carrot on a stick, thats the basis of pay per month billing. But for you to compare the 'grind' of a game like WoW to most or damn near any Korean MMO just tells me you haven't been around the block enough MMO wise. People don't complain about the difference for no reason, they complain because its a very noticeable rift. This looks interesting enough, I especially like the way the combat looks, but Im less than convinced that the treadmill will be any better 'masked' than most other Korean MMOs. They are just notoriously horrible at shrouding their grinds in the games to make them less noticeable.

I also wouldn't call WoW GAF's beloved, so many of us quit that game, the OT for it moves at a snails pace compared to years and years ago. The problem is that these MMO's from Korea come out at a faster pace than other regions, and they are famous for claiming that this latest one is the bees knees. We all aboard the hype train after a few kickass trailers and 20 hours into the game we hit the 'wall'. The burden of proof has kinda shifted by this point. I really want to SEE a change, and not have a bunch of people, once again, flooding message boards assuring me this latest one will be sooooooo good with less grinding.

Riposte

Noshino said:
I liked Vindictus and Continent of the Ninth, but unfortunately they still dungeon based.

Wow! I've finally found someone who played Continent of the Ninth. Really wish I didn't get banned for being a gajin(or w/e the word is in Korean). That game had Demon's Souls style invading and awesome juggling!!

Izayoi

Banned
Cross-posting some screenshots from the art thread, credit to TheOctagon.

Highres_Screenshot_00090.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00009.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_000942.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00000-2.jpg

Cipherr said:
I also wouldn't call WoW GAF's beloved, so many of us quit that game, the OT for it moves at a snails pace compared to years and years ago. The problem is that these MMO's from Korea come out at a faster pace than other regions, and they are famous for claiming that this latest one is the bees knees. We all aboard the hype train after a few kickass trailers and 20 hours into the game we hit the 'wall'. The burden of proof has kinda shifted by this point. I really want to SEE a change, and not have a bunch of people, once again, flooding message boards assuring me this latest one will be sooooooo good with less grinding.
To be fair, En Masse does have FULL control over the game. They have the ability to add as much content as they see fit. They're being pretty open about development and people in the beta who have played both the Korean and the English versions have stated that there is already a significant difference.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Are they going to divide the player base into factions i.e. WoW style Alliance v Horde? Cause that usually kills a lot of the community aspect of an MMO.

Izayoi

Banned
speedpop said:
Are they going to divide the player base into factions i.e. WoW style Alliance v Horde? Cause that usually kills a lot of the community aspect of an MMO.
Nope, only one faction. Everyone shares the same world. Also, more screenshots.

Highres_Screenshot_00006-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00049-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00051-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00054-1.jpg

Cipherr

Izayoi said:
To be fair, En Masse does have FULL control over the game. They have the ability to add as much content as they see fit. They're being pretty open about development and people in the beta who have played both the Korean and the English versions have stated that there is already a significant difference.

That's an extremely interesting arrangement. Substantial a difference enough to be a pivot.....

Its happening again. I'm starting to believe.

Izayoi

Banned
Cipherr said:
That's an extremely interesting arrangement. Substantial a difference enough to be a pivot.....

Its happening again. I'm starting to believe.
Yeah, I've been following this for a while and I don't want a repeat of Aion, for sure.

I'll be hounding them day in and day out to cut back on grind, I can guarantee you that much.

I'll see for myself how it is in a couple of hours when my Korean client finishes downloading. I'm curious to see how extreme it is completely unmodified.

Yet more screens.

Highres_Screenshot_00059.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00074-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00084-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00061-1.jpg

Noshino

Cipherr said:
Oh, hell man, I agree with you. MMO's have a base in grinding. Its all carrot on a stick, thats the basis of pay per month billing. But for you to compare the 'grind' of a game like WoW to most or damn near any Korean MMO just tells me you haven't been around the block enough MMO wise. People don't complain about the difference for no reason, they complain because its a very noticeable rift. This looks interesting enough, I especially like the way the combat looks, but Im less than convinced that the treadmill will be any better 'masked' than most other Korean MMOs. They are just notoriously horrible at shrouding their grinds in the games to make them less noticeable.

Ragnarok, RF, Mu, Priston Tale, R.O.S.E, Cabal, Flyff, Granado Espada, Silkroad...I think I also downloaded Trickster, don't remember how much I played it for though.

Oh, and Im not even counting Rakion, Gunz, Vindictus...

I know that Im missing more Korean MMOs, unfortunately I can't remember them all.

Anyway, once again, people always bring up that bullshit, and its kind of funny because I've never had a problem leveling on Korean games, fuck, people hated Ragnarok Online because of the "grindfest", yet I played it from the day it was on beta for like 3 years I think, I never had a problem leveling. As a matter of fact, making leveling easy is kind of annoying, as everyone gets to the top levels quick, yet aren't able to master their skills.

But whatever, it just seems this was the next step, people have been bitching about difficulty in games, and now they also bitch about leveling to make it even more easy. The only Western MMO on my radar is SW:TOR, which Im hoping it isnt dumbeasy to master. Other than that I stick with asian MMOs as they are actually challenging and fun to master.

Try and say anything wrong about WoW on a more visited thread, you ll get a mob on you in no time.

Riposte said:
Wow! I've finally found someone who played Continent of the Ninth. Really wish I didn't get banned for being a gajin(or w/e the word is in Korean). That game had Demon's Souls style invading and awesome juggling!!

Haha, I had to stay under the radar. I learned my lesson from Cabal :C

At least now I have 2 korean friends, 2 KSSNs to use for betas!

The thing to point out is that the entire first continent (everything shown in this thread and about five times more) is accessible from the moment you hit level 10 without a single loading screen, gatekeeper or further requirement. Hence my character having the same entry level armour throughout. It's a truly seamless open world, albeit one where going for a three-hour wander will likely involve a one-hit death or two.

I've been put on this latest EU beta by Frogster, though I did say that I'd need full world access before taking any more screenshots; I'm done with that first continent. Do the characters carry over into retail, though? Because then I'm all over it.

Oh, and I can say with two characters' experience that there is no grinding before level 10. It's all questing. Can't speak for the later levels, though from observation it looks like it's heavy on group quests. They're trying to implement AI assistance for solo boss battles but it was spectacularly fucked in the Korean OBT.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Grinding can be more than a terrible thing. Finding good parties and grinding out a few levels in FFXI is some of the best fun I've had in an MMO.

Izayoi

Banned
TheOctagon said:
I've been put on this latest EU beta by Frogster, though I did say that I'd need full world access before taking any more screenshots; I'm done with that first continent. Do the characters carry over into retail, though? Because then I'm all over it.
Unlikely. Right now they're testing new leveling curves and a few new quests, I believe.

_tetsuo_ said:
Grinding can be more than a terrible thing. Finding good parties and grinding out a few levels in FFXI is some of the best fun I've had in an MMO.
Yep. Grinding is only tedious when done alone.

Luckily for me I roped a friend who I used to play Aion with into my little Korean expedition. We're going with a Priest/Berserker pair. Should be a lot of fun.

Zeal said:
Been playing for a while. Game is amazing in every way and my favorite mmo ever.
Oh ho. You in the English beta or are you playing the Korean version?

Last screens. Theses are fucking amazing by the way, Octagon. You can just use the in-game console to take them, right?

Highres_Screenshot_00065-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00096-1.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Qwomo said:
Seeing the Popori character creation sold me on this game.

I want a little rabbit dude. :3
Somebody made grafix cat and posted a screenshot on 4chan. I wish I had saved it.

Izayoi said:
Last screens. Theses are fucking amazing by the way, Octagon. You can just use the in-game console to take them, right?

Had to mess around quite a bit with the UE3 ini files and keymap several debug commands. There's no way to actually move the camera into either firstperson or to the left or right of your avatar, so there was a lot of FOV trickery and standing against walls. There is an in-game screenshot function but it a) dumps a watermark on every shot - *spits* - and b) means you're reliant on Unreal Engine's twisted relationship with antialiasing. I used tiledshots and downsampled.

Jintor

dat artstyle.

I think I saw some shots in the old PC Screenshots thread but you've singlehandedly sold me on this again. And by 'sell', I mean 'I'll wait for reviews since I don't actually like MMOs, and I might play for a month or two'.

But god fucking damn, dat artstyle

Izayoi

Banned
TheOctagon said:
Had to mess around quite a bit with the UE3 ini files and keymap several debug commands. There's no way to actually move the camera into either firstperson or to the left or right of your avatar, so there was a lot of FOV trickery and standing against walls. There is an in-game screenshot function but it a) dumps a watermark on every shot - *spits* - and b) means you're reliant on Unreal Engine's twisted relationship with antialiasing. I used tiledshots and downsampled.
Reading on it here, is there a way to map those commands to keys? I'm interested in taking screenshots like that but it sounds like there's no direct console access in game. Even just the lines to look for in the .ini would be fine, if you can remember. If not I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Erasus

Here are some good videos:
http://www.terafans.com/topic/6877-korean-open-betalaunch-video-compilation/?

My favs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XkibMimRU4&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0msuLP13SME&hd=1
Instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgWNJoFWeFI&hd=1
Fly through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFFX66Y2rc&hd=1

I will buy this for sure, heck I even like some good F2P stuff like Allods, Rohan, Martial Empires. And I liked Aion when people actually played it ;_;

So bring this over as fast as you can Frogster!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Izayoi said:
Yep. Grinding is only tedious when done alone.

Luckily for me I roped a friend who I used to play Aion with into my little Korean expedition. We're going with a Priest/Berserker pair. Should be a lot of fun.

That is what is is, really. Unfortunately it seems that nowadays MMO players at large aren't interested in the game if they can't solo through most of it. Shame.

Acosta

Been playing this weekend.

It's fabulous.

Really, I can't go back to autoattack MMOs ever again after this, controlling a dual wielding warrior doing combos, using special attacks and avoiding enemies attacks... it just changes everything, the difference in rhythm and fun it´s outstanding.

And the graphics are just incredible.

Izayoi

Banned
Erasus said:
So fucking good. The enemy designs are just fantastic. Added to the OP.

_tetsuo_ said:
That is what is is, really. Unfortunately it seems that nowadays MMO players at large aren't interested in the game if they can't solo through most of it. Shame.
Kind of a shame, really. LoTRO suffered a lot from this constant dumbing-down of content. 90% of the stuff that used to require groups is now solo-able.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Acosta said:
Been playing this weekend.

It's fabulous.

Really, I can't go back to autoattack MMOs ever again after this, controlling a dual wielding warrior doing combos, using special attacks and avoiding enemies attacks... it just changes everything, the difference in rhythm and fun it´s outstanding.

And the graphics are just incredible.

How did you get in the beta? Tell me.

Noshino said:
Try and say anything wrong about WoW on a more visited thread, you ll get a mob on you in no time.

yes, most of them have lost their sense of reality years ago. i remember getting flak for laughing at the worthless DLC mount. i don't even want to know how bad the game is nowadays, it was already disgusting years ago.

Acosta

_tetsuo_ said:
How did you get in the beta? Tell me.

Nothing fancy, I just signed and got selected. Don't worry, I'm sure there will be open betas pretty soon, the game looks quite polished at this moment.

Never before have I seen such a stark contrast of beautiful, charming, enticing world design against truly dreadful, uninspired, and tacky character & armor design. How can you connect with characters that look like that? Well, I mean, if you can, then great. I just can't get into it.

Make me care about the character by making them lifelike, human, believable, and then building a rich and meaningful world and story for me to experience through that character's eyes. Don't give me a goddamn half-fashion-model half-warrior. If every character and every thing tried to grab attention then it all ends up being a sea of gaudy shit that I have no reason to care about. It's like living in Disney World. "Authenticity? Fuck that. Just make everything unrealistic, superficial, and attention-grabbing."

Some of those area screenshots are absolutely incredible, though.

Izayoi

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Never before have I seen such a stark contrast of beautiful, charming, enticing world design against truly dreadful, uninspired, and tacky character & armor design. How can you connect with characters that look like that? Well, I mean, if you can, then great. I just can't get into it.

Make me care about the character by making them lifelike, human, believable, and then building a rich and meaningful world and story for me to experience through that character's eyes. Don't give me a goddamn half-fashion-model half-warrior. If every character and every thing tried to grab attention then it all ends up being a sea of gaudy shit that I have no reason to care about. It's like living in Disney World. "Authenticity? Fuck that. Just make everything unrealistic, superficial, and attention-grabbing."

There are plenty of sets of modest-looking armor sets in the game. The character is who you make it to be, and you can create perfectly normal looking ones if so you choose.

I dunno, I like the variety. A lot of recent MMOs have been plagued with sameness syndrome, where everything is just kind of a muddy mess that runs together with no personality or anything to distinguish races and classes apart.

Zaptruder

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

Look through the various tiers of WoW armor sets... most of it is very miss. And yet when it boils down to it... it's a very very secondary sort of thing to the appeal of an MMO. At least once you start playing.

To me... Tera armor sets seem more restrained than something like Aion.

Kaldea

How PvP-based is this? I liked Aion up until you couldn't do ANYTHING without being ganked every few minutes, even while trying to solo grind at mid level (not sure if things have changed since launch though).

If there's plenty room for soloing, I'll be all over this. Not really expecting it though. :/

Xiaoki

Izayoi said:
Woah, hold up there guys.

It's being localized. That doesn't mean just translating. En Masse is also readjusting the leveling curve to eliminate grinding, as well as adding hundreds of brand new quests into the game.

I wouldn't worry about the grind. They know just as well as you and I do what killed Aion here, and they won't be falling into that same pitfall.
En Masse doesnt really need to do anything. There is very little grind in Tera. So little the Koreans complained that leveling was too fast.

Getting to level 50(current level cap) is very easy and shouldnt take no more than 4 weeks of casual play.

The only possible problem is that the real level cap will be 60 which hasnt been patched in yet. So going from level 50 to 60 could be a huge grind.

Arcticfox

Damn, when I saw this thread I hoped the open beta had started or a release date was announced.

This is the only MMORPG that I am interested in, mostly due to TheOctagon's pictures. I usually solo these games as I can never really find a good casual group to play with. Hopefully the game will allow me to explore the world and have some fun soloing.

Arcticfox said:
Damn, when I saw this thread I hoped the open beta had started or a release date was announced.

This is the only MMORPG that I am interested in, mostly due to TheOctagon's pictures. I usually solo these games as I can never really find a good casual group to play with. Hopefully the game will allow me to explore the world and have some fun soloing.
I'll second everything you said there. (apart from the solo bit, I don't really care if I group or not as long as it's fun to play)

The combat looks so interesting.

Izayoi said:
Yeah, I've been following this for a while and I don't want a repeat of Aion, for sure.

I'll be hounding them day in and day out to cut back on grind, I can guarantee you that much.

I'll see for myself how it is in a couple of hours when my Korean client finishes downloading. I'm curious to see how extreme it is completely unmodified.

soo do you know korean or something? how are you going to play the game? is there a guide somewhere? cuz i'm thinking i'll download it like you are, but im not sure if its gonna work. i'm in canada..

im new-ish to MMOs but i really want to play this one for the real time combat.

BadTaste

Well I tried signing up for a future beta test, after I filled in everything and clicked on Next, nothing happened?

This game looks amazing. I think I'll give it a shot. I don't have much confidence in the writing or story from unfamiliar developers but it sounds surprisingly promising.

Kaldea said:
How PvP-based is this? I liked Aion up until you couldn't do ANYTHING without being ganked every few minutes, even while trying to solo grind at mid level (not sure if things have changed since launch though).

If there's plenty room for soloing, I'll be all over this. Not really expecting it though. :/

PVP is optional.

...and wow at people complaining about grinding and having to pay to play an MMO. Maybe you should stick to other genres...

Top Bottom