• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

i'm gonna play as Aman. dunno what class yet, but definitely one of the melee ones :D

Tera-Aman-1024x631.jpg

zlatko

Banned
bigboss370 said:
i'm gonna play as Aman. dunno what class yet, but definitely one of the melee ones :D

Tera-Aman-1024x631.jpg

I usually don't go for the big hulk size races in anything, but I really like the design of them and how armor looks on them as well. I think I'll roll a Lancer Aman ftw.

gogojira

I'll actually try this if there's a world to explore. I already dig that the factions aren't split in two like every modern MMO since WoW. I found Rift to be such a bore that riffs off every modern convenience imaginable.

Desi

IF I could be a Popori Lancer. Fighting giant skywhale beasts as my devil horn chick prepares me a salad...of skywhale.

This is what happens when UE3 meets art. It's beautiful. Of course the only reason I consider playing this game is because of the combat. Chances are, my PC can't run this anywhere near max, but dammit if I care. Combat like this needs 60fps and I'll gladly sacrifice graphics for frame rate. I can't wait.

Their art-direction shows that UE3 games don't have to look crappy.
More western developers need to hire good artists.
(Also before some jackass talks something about anime, I'm talking about the competence of the art-DIRECTION not the art-style, this has nothing to do with anime)

mintylurb

Sykotik said:
As far as I know they're just adding pants to the small child-like race, rather than armor that shows panties. At least, that's all I've read about. Also, that patch isn't even planned to be put in at release, so you'll be able to see all the panties you can handle if you're an early buyer!
No~~ I want some pantsu shots!

i would think this game would generate a lot of hype here in NA, but it seems like not many people are excited for it. just the combination of high end MMO graphics plus the real time combat is a big plus point over other MMOs. also the monthly fee hopefully guarantees consistent updates and content.

Morn

Banned
bigboss370 said:
i would think this game would generate a lot of hype here in NA, but it seems like not many people are excited for it. just the combination of high end MMO graphics plus the real time combat is a big plus point over other MMOs. also the monthly fee hopefully guarantees consistent updates and content.

People aren't excited about it because MMO gamers in NA don't like Korean grindfests. You can make them pretty (Aion), but in the end it's just a grueling grind compared to a US-developed MMO.

Morn said:
People aren't excited about it because MMO gamers in NA don't like Korean grindfests. You can make them pretty (Aion), but in the end it's just a grueling grind compared to a US-developed MMO.

okay but why not give this a chance? it may not turn out to be a grindfest, seeing as how both the korean developers and the NA developers acknowledge that as an issue and are working on it. plus some korean gamers are complaining leveling up is too fast so that must be a good thing for us no?

Morn

Banned
bigboss370 said:
okay but why not give this a chance? it may not turn out to be a grindfest, seeing as how both the korean developers and the NA developers acknowledge that as an issue and are working on it. plus some korean gamers are complaining leveling up is too fast so that must be a good thing for us no?

NCSoft said the exact same thing about Aion and look where it is now.

And the "leveling too fast" thing is based on idiots in the US watching powerlevelers on justin.tv and thinking that's the norm. It isn't.

Morn said:

If they gameplay is fun then it can be as grindy as it wants for all I'm concerned.

The mere 3-4 hours of grind in wow vanilla to get from 59-60 was torture to me because the combat was so damn boring.

A good free aim system could be good times.

That's the only reason this game is on my radar at all, I'll never understand the draw of mmo's after anyone has played pretty much any mmo for a while.
The gameplay is always dull and repetitive.

1000+ hours each spent in games like AA, gt, ut, rtcw etc isn't a grind (there is nothing to grind for, there doesn't have to be) because it is fun to play.
You have no goal, other than to have fun.

I wish an mmo dev , any mmo dev would come to that realisation sometime.
Create fun gameplay (easier said than done for the genre) and you can't go wrong.

Aion wasn't any fun, it only took me until level 19 during the beta to fully realise that, and I am glad that I quit right then and there.
Not being fun has nothing to do with slow leveling though.

Noshino

Morn said:

And the "leveling too fast" thing is based on idiots in the US watching powerlevelers on justin.tv and thinking that's the norm. It isn't.

iirc, korean players were complaining about the korean version being too easy.

Also, the leveling too fast problem is present on most western MMOs, and like I said before, it is pretty damn annoying. You expect people to be pretty skilled at such levels, but unfortunately that doesn't tend to be the case.

In Ragnarok, if you were a transcendent class, people knew that you were the shit, and for a reason. For it you had to be level 99, and then go through an annoying quest, and be sent back to level 1...but this time with more bonuses and such.

Unfortunately too many people bitched and they nerfed a bunch of the classes and made it even easier to level. It was annoying to see all these people that didn't know what the hell they were doing..... I, and as a matter of fact most of the top level guilds, left the game for good.

Sorry, but from my point of view, western influences over MMOs hasn't been good at all.

Morn said:

Also, this isn't NCsoft. This is Blue Hole Studios, started by team members that left NCsoft (they left for a reason) and they seem passionate about the game from their interviews. The Korean release has already received several patches and En Masse Entertainment looks to be treating the localization with great care and as stated before have a lot of control over the Western version of the game.

Xiaoki

Morn said:

Well, atleast you're dedicated to your ignorance. But, hey, if you want to believe its just a Korean grind-fest you go right ahead and troll away.

SneakyStephan said:
I wish an mmo dev , any mmo dev would come to that realisation sometime.
Create fun gameplay (easier said than done for the genre) and you can't go wrong.

Changing gameplay systems can be fun for a MMO and there have been several different attempts, but in the end no matter what they do to the gameplay itself, the games will often fail simply because of countless other factors. Lack of end game, poor support, lack of playerbase, bugs, pvp problems, grindy gameplay, lack of content, etc, etc, etc.

People got all excited about DCUO and it's unique gameplay which was fun for a while, and then the problems started to roll in and it's a sinking ship.

Izayoi

Banned
Kaldea said:
How PvP-based is this? I liked Aion up until you couldn't do ANYTHING without being ganked every few minutes, even while trying to solo grind at mid level (not sure if things have changed since launch though).

If there's plenty room for soloing, I'll be all over this. Not really expecting it though. :/
PvP is optional and you can solo to your heart's content.

BadTaste105 said:
Well I tried signing up for a future beta test, after I filled in everything and clicked on Next, nothing happened?
Are you using NoScript? Be sure to turn it off.

bigboss370 said:
soo do you know korean or something? how are you going to play the game? is there a guide somewhere? cuz i'm thinking i'll download it like you are, but im not sure if its gonna work. i'm in canada..

im new-ish to MMOs but i really want to play this one for the real time combat.
There's an English patch for the menus. Even if there weren't I think I'd still be playing it. Click around until you find what you're looking for. Can't hurt too much, right? There are also a few tutorials to playing the game that have been written in English, so I think it'll be alright. Doesn't matter what country you're in, I don't think.

Desi said:
IF I could be a Popori Lancer. Fighting giant skywhale beasts as my devil horn chick prepares me a salad...of skywhale.
Every race can play every class, if that's what you're asking.

However you can't fight the skywhale. At least, I don't think you can.

Also patching, finally. Shit took two days to download, god damn.

Izayoi said:
PvP is optional and you can solo to your heart's content.

Are you using NoScript? Be sure to turn it off.

There's an English patch for the menus. Even if there weren't I think I'd still be playing it. Click around until you find what you're looking for. Can't hurt too much, right? There are also a few tutorials to playing the game that have been written in English, so I think it'll be alright. Doesn't matter what country you're in, I don't think.

Every race can play every class, if that's what you're asking.

However you can't fight the skywhale. At least, I don't think you can.

Also patching, finally. Shit took two days to download, god damn.

ummm could you link me to a guide or something? >_> lol like where to download the game and stuff... :p

EDIT: its not illegal is it? i won't get banned for asking will I? o_O

Izayoi

Banned
bigboss370 said:
ummm could you link me to a guide or something? >_> lol like where to download the game and stuff... :p
Are we allowed to openly discuss RMT sites on GAF? I mean, I would imagine so, right? It's not illegal or anything. Here's what you do after you have an account.

First, in Internet Explorer (32-bit if you're running a 64-bit OS), go to http://tera.hangame.com. Then, follow these images. Login with your account and password, then click the link labeled "second". Click the download client banner. You'll be prompted for a couple of plugins that you'll need to download. Hit yes to everything. After that you should get a download client. Don't exit it or turn off your computer because I'm not sure how you get it back if it's gone, and whether or not you'd need to restart the download process.

G0HHe.png

7Zcp4.png

A note about the English patch, it seems to have been made for the open beta, not retail. We'll see whether or not it works.

Watching the stream posted above. Seeing this in action makes me a little more eager to play it. Still not big on the character designs but god damn those fucking environments jesus christ.

I really don't need to be feeling this way right now. Believe it or not I like a lot about FFXIV and Yoshida is proving his ability to bring it leaps and bounds forward. On top of that I'm cautiously getting into Black Prophecy, but it's a free to play game, so I dunno about that one. Then I've got Pokemon of course, and would like to graduate university next spring. Well, I've got some friends who are looking forward to this one too, so we'll see.

One thing I'm concerned about is that it's going to have to be very self-centered gameplay. With the amount of movement I'm seeing is necessary to succeed in battle, I feel like it's going to be designed around each player doing things right on their own, rather than the convoluted, coordinated strategies that were necessary to beat certain bosses in, say, FFXI. Those were the best times.

Izayoi

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
One thing I'm concerned about is that it's going to have to be very self-centered gameplay. With the amount of movement I'm seeing is necessary to succeed in battle, I feel like it's going to be designed around each player doing things right on their own, rather than the convoluted, coordinated strategies that were necessary to beat certain bosses in, say, FFXI. Those were the best times.
Have you seen some of the high-level boss videos? If everyone isn't doing what they're supposed to you wipe. It still requires coordination and communication, just in a much different sense than what most people are used to with typical MMOs.

DieH@rd said:
Can we make a new account for that site? Any tutorial for that?
If you've got a Korean SSN, sure. If you don't you'll need to pay $10 for an already-verified account.

English patch is waaay outdated. Don't think I'll be risking it.

Izayoi said:
Have you seen some of the high-level boss videos? If everyone isn't doing what they're supposed to you wipe. It still requires coordination and communication, just in a much different sense than what most people are used to with typical MMOs.

If you've got a Korean SSN, sure. If you don't you'll need to pay $10 for an already-verified account.

English patch is waaay outdated. Don't think I'll be risking it.

so is the game working okay for you? thanks a ton for the guide and PM btw :D

Izayoi

Banned
bigboss370 said:
so is the game working okay for you? thanks a ton for the guide and PM btw :D
Updating. Got finished patching and now I'm doing GameGuard updates.

And not a problem, I'm happy to help.

edit: HOLY GRAPHICS

IT LOOKS SO GOOD IN MOTION

OH MAN

Izayoi said:

OH MAN

duuude i'm so jealous lol. imma try and get in on it once I get back to my own house with my desktop.

Makoto

Izayoi said:

OH MAN

What type of framerate are you getting with your system?

Izayoi

Banned
JWong said:
Wait... you can play this?

Korean SSN not needed? $10 for what?
$10 for an account that's been verified using a Korean SSN.

Morn said:
Enjoy the keyloggers and trojans you'll get from doing that.
lol wut

vidal said:
What type of framerate are you getting with your system?
60FPS with everything cranked at @ 1920x1200.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
6GB Ram
Radeon 4890

This game looks unfuckingbelievable in motion. The subtle lighting changes especially. It's like magic.

Anyone know how to ditch the HUD?

If there is american gaf guild playing on the korean servers I would so jump and play, as it is now I wouldnt be able to understand one thing in the game lol

Izayoi

Banned
Acosta said:
Greatly appreciated.

tera2011-04-0316-22-11kx5h.png

Seriously this is incredible.

And combat feels so goddamn good. Honestly I don't think grinding for hours would even phase me. It's so fluid, and once you get into the rhythm it just naturally flows.

GhostRidah said:
If there is american gaf guild playing on the korean servers I would so jump and play, as it is now I wouldnt be able to understand one thing in the game lol
No guild, but a buddy and I just started playing. It's surprisingly easy to pick up, and the fact that there aren't dozens of skills to juggle for each class is a HUGE boon. Combat is focused more around being good than having a bunch of skills to click through.

BadTaste

Izayoi said:
6GB Ram
Radeon 4890

Wow, thats excellent.. surely I would get similar results on my machine

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.60Ghz
4GB RAM
Radeon 5770

Also /jealous that you're playing it.

ACE 1991

What can you compare the combat to? Honestly my biggest issue with these kind of MMOs is that the combat seems to get repetitive and stale quickly.

wwm0nkey

Izayoi said:

6GB Ram
Radeon 4890

This game looks unfuckingbelievable in motion. The subtle lighting changes especially. It's like magic.

Anyone know how to ditch the HUD?
Well looks like im getting this if it runs that well and looks that good at the same time.

Psyched for this game, the art direction is stellar. If the combat is as good as people say it is, this will be the first MMO I'll jump into.

Top Bottom