• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
T0COe.png

• Publisher: Re-Logic
  • Developer: Re-Logic
  • Designer: Andrew "Redigit" Spinks
  • Platform: Windows
  • Release Date: May 16, 2011
  • Price: US$ 9.99; € 9.99; £ 5.99
  • Where to buy? Steam (4-Pack available)

• System requirements:
    Processor: 1.6 GHz
    Memory: 512MB
    HDD space: 200MB
    Video card: 128MB VRAM, capable of Shader Model 1.1
    DirectX: 9.0c or newer version

You can view the old thread here.

v6tp9.png

Terraria is an action/adventure game created by Andrew "Redigit" Spinks, from Re-Logic, an independent
studio. Taking place in bidimensional procedurally generated and completely worlds, the game lets players
destroy and rebuild the environments as they see fit, while facing the threats of the horrible monsters who
roam the land. The gameplay mixes the sandbox elements of Minecraft with the battles and exploration of
2D Castlevania games, with additional factors such as the existance of NPCs and crafting.

Read the game's official description below:

"Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is
your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.

Grab your tools and go! Make weapons to fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes. Dig
deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things. Gather resources to create
everything you need to make the world your own. Build a house, a fort, or even a castle. People
will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey.

But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?
"​

5yymE.png

• An ever-expanding world, affected by free content updates;
  • Enjoy sandbox play: do your thing, whenever you want to;
  • Dig and explore randomly generated worlds, created in three different sizes;
  • The world is your canvas - destroy everything, only to rebuild it later;
  • Master the art of crafting! Gather materials, and use them to forge various items;

• Create a town full of houses where item vendors and other NPCs can live safely;
  • Face an enormous amount of different monsters, including huge bosses;
  • Play alone, bring your friends to your world, or visit theirs. The choice is yours;
  • Use the persistent inventory system to bring your gear and items to different worlds;
  • Gather accessories to power up your characters;

• Try to simply survive, or go out there and show the wilderness who's the boss.

lTNtl.png

Guides

Useful links

Brazil

Ucx9L.png

• Videos

Please recommend me some awesome videos so I can add links to them here!

• Images
    The following images were taken from the game's official website:

TNASt.png

• Is there a demo version of the game I can try?
    There is no demo version of Terraria currently available.​
  • Can I buy the game without a Steam account?
    No.​
  • Will the game be released in other platforms?
    According to the developer, there are plans to futurely release versions of Terraria for the
    Xbox 360 and iOS-enabled devices, such as the iPhone.​
  • What are some of the features the developers plan to add to the game in the future?
    Redigit has expressed that he plans to add complex Player vs. Player modes to the game to
    go side by side with the cooperative options, new NPCs with functions other than selling
    items, different monsters, pets, and more.​
  • Is there a way to create my own Terraria server?
    Yes. Currently, the tools available to server hosting in-game are very limited and unstable,
    but Redigit has said that he plans to integrate the game completely to the Steam
    infrastructure in the future.

For now, the easiest way to host a server is to follow this guide, that suggests the use of the
    LogMeIn Hamachi tool.​

ZBExa.png

Below is a list of previous game versions. Click on them to view the complete patch notes:

• 1.1.2 (January 17, 2012) - German, Spanish, Italian, and French support.
  • 1.1.1 (December 15, 2011) - Bug fixes and Christmas-related additions.
  • 1.1 (December 1, 2011) - Dozens of additions and changes.

• 1.0.6.1 (August 17, 2011) - Added the Samwill for advanced woodcrafting; bug fixes.
  • 1.0.6 (August 9, 2011) - Added 4 new enemies, many new hairstyles and dozens of new items;
    new combat systems; adjustments, bug fixes and tweaks.
  • 1.0.5 (June 23, 2011) - Added 8 new enemies and over 50 new items; many bug fixes and tweaks;
    increased performance; added buffs activated by potions.
  • 1.0.4 (June 10, 2011) - Added Social Slots and various vanity items; added 3 new NPCs, 8 new
    enemies, 2 new rare enemies and 1 mini-boss; minor improvements.
  • 1.0.3 (June 2, 2011) - Added new items and enemies; added resizeable windows; fixed some bugs;
    added proper server consoles software; minor graphic improvements.
  • 1.0.2 (May 23, 2011) - Sticky Bombs; adjustments; increased performance and multiplayer stability.
  • 1.0.1 (May 17, 2011) - Minor bug fixes.
  • 1.0 (May 16, 2011) - Release.

Brazil

Da9O8.png

UberBat: The Unofficial NeoGAF Server

IP: gafterraria.dyndns.org or 71.180.49.81
Port: 7777 (default)
Password: None

More info here. (Use the address above.)

ZZMitch

Thanks for the great OP!

This game started off slowly for me and I didn't know I would get into it, but it has started to click and now I can't get enough! Just found my first gold vein, so I am not too far a long yet...

The M.O.B

Brazil said:
Edit: People can post now. The harm's done, haha.
haha I was waiting for that, thought you were still adding to it.

Highly recommend this game to everyone.

It costs $10 bucks and you will easily get 20hrs of enjoyment out of it. I'm currently sitting at 30 hours played and have acquired almost every item and a whole week hasn't even passed yet. >_<

Brazil

The M.O.B said:
haha I was waiting for that, thought you were still adding to it.
It'd be the awesomest thing ever if a mod deleted that post in the middle. :D

Truth101

Banned
ReyVGM said:
Nice. Looks great. A bit amateurish though, but I'll try it.

By the way I waited to say this, but I saw all of your stealth edits.

Pics or it didn't happen
- I assume you posted in the wrong thread

Looks great, I'll have to try it out
- You realized you posted in the wrong thread and are now trying to cover it up.

Nice. Looks great. A bit amateurish though, but I'll try it.
- Now that you are actually looking at the game you offer your honest opinion of it.

That is all.

If none of this is a valid assessment then I am sad =[

The M.O.B

Truth101 said:
By the way I waited to say this, but I saw all of your stealth edits.

- I assume you posted in the wrong thread

- You realized you posted in the wrong thread and are now trying to cover it up.

- Now that you are actually looking at the game you offer your honest opinion of it.

That is all.

If none of this is a valid assessment than I am sad =[

I noticed that too, im guessing he didn't mean to post so it is an innocent mistake.

Grinchy

Banned
Nice work, as always! I plan to get some responsible things done for the day before I jump back in. I haven't even gotten to play much since getting my grapple.

BurningNad

I went balls deep into hell today, and farmed all the hellstone and obsidian I needed for a full Molten set and the Flamerang. Also got a Sunfury, which is fucking awesome. SO FUCKING AWESOME.

Great OT!

Edit: Spelling

People should buy this, it's worth the $10. :) I would compare the experience to Demon's Souls, except it can potentially suck way, way much more of your time. D: Also, hopefully it will keep getting updated and receive new content over time.

mokeyjoe

I still can't find iron!!!!

I've got like 30 bars of gold now but still no iron! I'm desperately in need of a chest now, my inventory has been full for about 2 hours. No anvil either so my equipment sucks still. Is it always this rare or have I just lucked out with my map?

mokeyjoe said:

I've got like 30 bars of gold now but still no iron! I'm desperately in need of a chest now, my inventory has been full for about 2 hours. No anvil either so my equipment sucks still. Is it always this rare or have I just lucked out with my map?
I was in the same situation, so frustrating. There is a program out there to generate a map of your world.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-map-viewer.4226/
Should probably go in the OP.

Noogy

I can say at this moment that Terraria is my GOTY so far. And it runs great on really old hardware (very notebook friendly).

jogarrr

mokeyjoe said:

Not sure if it helps or not, but if you happen to find a chest underground you can smash it with a hammer to pick it up (after emptying it). It does seem kinda strange to find more gold than iron, didn't have that problem on my map.

I've barely stopped playing this since i bought it wednesday night. Can't get enough. The book i was reading must be feeling mighty neglected by now!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This game being 2D will inherently make it easier for the devs to add content to, with few constraints that a 3D game would normally have. I think it has a bright future.

Salsa

I already got everything and went to all the environments in two different worlds, one big, one small.

Waiting on more content :(

SalsaShark said:
I already got everything and went to all the environments in two different worlds, one big, one small.

Waiting on more content :(

You played too much too fast!

I've sunk about 8 hours in and only have gold tools and some gold weapons. I do have the enchanted boomerang (super useful), the cloud in a bottle, and the lucky horseshoe, but that's about it. It takes a ton of metal to make armor though, so I'm only rocking iron/copper armor except for a silver helmet which I've currently swapped for the mining helmet.

The horseshoe I found on a floating island (convenient). Beyond that is what I'm pretty sure is the underground jungle which in my world has an entrance on the surface.

I'm actually a little stuck at the moment. I've hit some lava pools in my deepest recesses which I suppose I should turn into obsidian by channeling some water, but that will be a bit tricky. Another item would really give me a boost. Otherwise I think the best course of action would be to just start digging an organized tunnel, rather than just following the ore/gems/caves.

NBtoaster

'Defeated' the Eater of Worlds last night. Killed almost every NPC in my town, and me several times, but then died by itself. Does it take damage from sunlight or something?

L00P

Holy shit I just beat the Eye of Cthulhu!!!! I feel so badass jumping around in my town's rooftops trying to take it out with my enchanted boomerang! I never would've beaten it without this thing!

I love this game so much!!!!

Defeated Eater of Worlds twice. First time I died and then promptly received a message that "Eater of Worlds has been defeated!" I'm pretty sure that a Meteor took it out but I have no idea. Fought another and got Shadow Greaves and enough Demonite to make my Nightmare Pick. I'll try to farm a few more pieces of Shadow and Meteor gear before heading down into Hell and making my Molten set.

Really great game, just a few irritating spots if you don't want to Rambo a bunch of obsidian and hellstone.

EDIT: All copies have been spoken for.

So in honor of the OT2 going up I've got 3 copies of the game to give away on Steam. The first 3 people who ask will get a copy. Enjoy!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
JakOfTheShadows said:
So in honor of the OT2 going up I've got 3 copies of the game to give away on Steam. The first 3 people who ask will get a copy. Enjoy!

plz!

And great OT. Gave me a good idea of what this game is all about. Looks pretty rad.

Grinchy

Banned
JakOfTheShadows said:
I don't need a copy, but that's incredibly generous of you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great OT, thanks for putting this together!

Enco said:
My updated list of improvements:

1. Loads more cool items
2. Improved UI
3. Improved full screen graphics
4. A trophy case type thing to showcase special loot that can't be used
5. Multiplayer lobbies

I'm kinda getting used to the spawn rates. Yes it can get frustrating but it makes the game more challenging.

Called it on page 7 of the other thread! :p
-Enemy spawn rate... okay, look. I have a feeling the people in this thread are going to get used to this spawn rate really quickly and just get good at the game despite it. As a result, if difficulty settings are ever added to Terraria, I bet the way it is now will be the "Normal" setting or else we'd all feel like the game was a cakewalk on Normal.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
JakOfTheShadows said:
slidewinder, theMrCravens, and Stahsky please go ahead an pm me your Steam accounts and I will gift your copies to you. Congratulations!

Posting here to just let everyone know how awesome Jak is. Many thanks dude!

JakOfTheShadows said:
slidewinder, theMrCravens, and Stahsky please go ahead an pm me your Steam accounts and I will gift your copies to you. Congratulations!
Huge thank you for your generosity.

Only reason I won is because I was about to reply to join in on the 4-pack.

Lucky day, and still no rapture.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't claim to be an expert on this game, but I really don't have much of an issue with the spawn rates yet. Maybe things get worse as you go on but I don't think I'd have as much fun if I didn't constantly have that feeling of tension. It's the same reason that mining in Minecraft can be fun. You are always afraid of what's around that dark corner.

Jokey665

the spawn rate has really only bothered me in dungeons and in hell, but that's more because the enemies there are just fucking obnoxious.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Jokey665 said:
the spawn rate has really only bothered me in dungeons and in hell, but that's more because the enemies there are just fucking obnoxious.

I found the spawn rates on the Eater of Souls and Fire Imps to be really overboard. That's about it. Sometimes the black & mother slimes in the mid caves can get ridiculous.

Neki

Kalnos said:
Dungeon was easy. Having 3 bone serpents attacking you with 2 fire imps is a little much, though.
tell me about it, I just want to mine but then I get bone serpents and fire imps all over me. :(

Goon Boon

Banned
Huh, apparently the Terraria devs got mad at a joke review from that best gamers site and did one of those dmca takedowns on it. So thats a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom