• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lasthope106 said:
Has anyone ran this in a netbook? I won't have my gaming desktop for a few weeks and I'm stuck in with a ASUS eee PC.
I think someone mentioned in the last thread that they were running it fine on an Eee PC.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The joke review is still up here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqP0xRq8lKA&feature=related and it sucks. I'm not saying it's a review of the game that says the game sucks, I'm saying it is the worst review of a game I have ever seen. I don't think it was a good idea to have it taken down and I can't say I understand why it was, but god, it is shit.

edit: to clarify, the problem I have with it is not that it's satirical, it's that it isn't funny. leave this crap to Yahtzee please

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just as a counter-point for those still thinking about it, I'm someone that LOOOOVES minecraft, but hasn't been able to get into Terraria after a couple sessions. I'm probably going to give it one more shot, and if it doesn't grab me, that will be it.

I like the art (tall trees!) and the music. I like that there is a purpose for building (NPCs moving in). And I like that crafting is more rich from a practical and just-for-looks angle than Minecraft is.

In fact, I like most of Terraria's broad strokes. But it's undone in the details.

The very small block size bothers me. The small blocks means it takes a long time to dig around, underground. Also important is the size of the blocks relative to the player. It's annoying seeing spots I think I'll be able to fit through, only to continually realize I need to shave off another block to make it.

The control scheme is unwieldy. I quit yesterday after my Nth death played out the same way: mining underground, the light was beginning to get dim. So switch to my torches. Oops, now I'm being attacked. Switch to my sword. Oops, I didn't get a torch placed first, so now it's dark. And I'm dead. The player constantly has to switch between tool, light, and weapon. YES this is like Minecraft, but it feels much more frustrating, in Terraria.

Finally, the game's emphasis on extreme crafting I *thought* I would like. The ability to craft 100s or items like Chandeliers, chairs, tables, etc., I thought I would like. But in a weird way, all this choice takes away creativity, rather than supplies it. In Minecraft things must be fashioned out of blocks. But in Terraria they can just be auto-crafted.

Plus, there are way too many crafting stations. Every time I mined new stuff I would have to visit them all to see what new things I could make.

TL:DR: Terraria is nice on paper but fails in its execution. Controls are clunky, and the very small block size makes the controls feel even clunkier.

Edit: Oh yeah, I totally forgot - I initially thought keeping your items upon death (and between worlds) was a hugeplus for Terraria, but it isn't. It's another example of gamers not always knowing what they want (and shows that Notch has great game design instincts). It removes all tension. Minecraft is fucking SCARY. Terraria isn't - it's low-stakes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GDJustin, I respect your complaints and I would further state that not loving Minecraft is a better indicator of whether or not you'll like this game. Also, I get where you're coming from with block size- understanding that the character is two blocks wide and three high is definitely helpful when planning.

But that said... a lot of the things you mentioned are correctable within the game itself.

First off, you really reaaaalllly want a better pickaxe and the mining helmet. The latter is something that's not available at all in Minecraft, and that's definitely a recurring theme in this game with the available "function" items.

Second, this complaint
Finally, the game's emphasis on extreme crafting I *thought* I would like. The ability to craft 100s or items like Chandeliers, chairs, tables, etc., I thought I would like. But in a weird way, all this choice takes away creativity, rather than supplies it. In Minecraft things must be fashioned out of blocks. But in Terraria they can just be auto-crafted.

I think maybe you're mixing up "crafting" and "building." When you build something out of blocks in Minecraft, it has no function. The game doesn't care that your beautifully arranged gold and obsidian block chandelier is a chandelier, it looks that way because you built it piece by piece, but it doesn't actually provide light or meet NPC requirements like a crafted chandelier does in this game. Second, if you want to, you can build your own chandeliers, chairs, and tables, out of blocks. The game is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more limited in this sense in Minecraft, which goes back to what I've been saying all along. This is a game, Minecraft is a creativity tool/toy. They're great for different reasons.

Finally this...
Plus, there are way too many crafting stations. Every time I mined new stuff I would have to visit them all to see what new things I could make.

I think I know what you mean but I just haven't experienced it because... if you put your furnace, workbench, and anvil next to each other (say, in a crafting room you can decorate to your creative fancy), all the options for crafting appear at once.

I feel the opposite of your TL:DR. I thought this game sounded a bit awful on paper (Minecraft in 2D...?) but in execution is raw distilled fun.

The M.O.B

After watching his review of Amensia, im inclined to believe he is just a idiot. He insults developers and isn't funny. He is a joke reviewer who makes crap up and hates every game to try and be funny, problem is, he isn't.

Yeah insulting the game is one thing, but then making personal attacks against developers is dumb, and now he is trying to get publicity by complaining and making a big deal out of it.

Kalnos

Banned
GDJustin said:
Edit: Oh yeah, I totally forgot - I initially thought keeping your items upon death (and between worlds) was a hugeplus for Terraria, but it isn't. It's another example of gamers not always knowing what they want (and shows that Notch has great game design instincts). It removes all tension. Minecraft is fucking SCARY. Terraria isn't - it's low-stakes.

In Minecraft all 'tension' is removed when you build your home on the very first night. Sure, the occasional creeper will get behind you and explode, but other than that I fail to see the tension in Minecraft. Hell, once you craft a iron armor set you're practically invincible (not to mention diamond). Terraria suffers from similar problems, I.E. Your house can be made invincible to mobs, but the underground mobs are more challenging for sure.

To be honest, Terraria is a game that focuses way more on the action aspect while Minecraft sticks its focus on the building. I would say that if you found a lack of content in Minecraft then you would probably be more satisfied with Terraria (which could use more content late game itself). If you're looking to make creative houses/buildings, then losing the z-coordinate hurts the game quite a bit and I would play Minecraft.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After watching his review of Amensia, im inclined to believe he is just a idiot. He insults developers and isn't funny. He is a joke reviewer who makes crap up and hates every game to try and be funny, problem is, he isn't.

Yeah insulting the game is one thing, but then making personal attacks against developers is dumb, and now he is trying to get publicity by complaining and making a big deal out of it.
Jesus that was painful. Requires approval for every comment on his youtube video. A certain "can dish it out but can't take it" proverb comes to mind...

And yes, Minecraft is and will AAAALLLLWWAAAAYS be the superior building/construction tool. Anyone who disputes this is nuts.

NBtoaster

GDJustin said:

It's a great addition for multiplayer. I'd still say there's plenty of tension, you really don't want to lose half your money when in hell or on the other side of the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not to mention the time cost of getting back to where you were... I think the death penalty is fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
parasight said:
Finally! After about 3 hours of farming between yesterday and today I got Sunfury. Now I need to farm 2 more pieces of Cobalt armor and get some Rocket Boots.
So jealous. I tried to get one for 2 hours straight. I got over a dozen flowers of fire from the imps but NOTHING from the bone serpents.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd like to just transpose this convo as an indication of one of the many ways this game differs from Minecraft:
redacted: boomerand is pretty wicked since it cuts through swaths of vines or cobwebs
redacted: *boomerang
Hawkian: what makes that again?
Hawkian: or do you have to find
redacted: have to find it in a chest
redacted: may be possible to get it off a boss though

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

We have some awesome people here on GAF. Mr_Elysia, for example, is offering you guys 4 copies of Terraria. To win one, it's simple: tell us here in this thread why you'd like to play this great game.

I'll be the judge (and I promise to be fair - players who already have the game can give their opinions too, and I'll take them in consideration) and choose the 4 most creative or interesting answers. The deadline is the next tuesday.

Also, I know it's a cheesy contest. I did it on purpose.

Again: this is all thanks to the generosity of Mr_Elysia.

Cheers!

JtClS.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys are awesome. I am a sucker for this kind of thing, as anybody who might have participated in recent events can attest to.

I'll be willing to contribute 2 copies if anybody else who is awesome feels like going in with me for the other two ;)

edit: yes, I have a personal stake in getting more people to buy this game

....because I want them to keep making more content for it

strata8

Hawkian said:
You guys are awesome. I am a sucker for this kind of thing, as anybody who might have participated in recent events can attest to.

I'll be willing to contribute 2 copies if anybody else who is awesome feels like going in with me for the other two ;)

edit: yes, I have a personal stake in getting more people to buy this game

....because I want them to keep making more content for it
Depends, how much is the 4 pack? I have ~$20 I don't really have a need for, so I'd be willing to split it.

Zomba13

SalsaShark said:
I already got everything and went to all the environments in two different worlds, one big, one small.

Waiting on more content :(
I'm in the same boat. I don't have everything but I have the end tier armour and tools/weapons and all the accessories that I want and beaten all 2 bosses. Still waiting on a goblin army invasion though.
Can't wait to see the stuff that gets added. I'm hoping for a super hard boss that will take a party of players to beat.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
After thinking about it more, while I would like some new construction options, I think there definitely needs to be a lot more variety/effects items for wearing and using to fight and tons of enemies. I see they have PvP modes in the works, so that is good reason to have a great variety of armors and weapons.

Single player should have a lot of enemies and stuff to enhance the Castlevania vibe. If new areas are made, it should only be to suit the "sets" of different kinds of enemies, like the jungle and dungeon. I had a thought that there could be a desert area, and this would introduce sandstone, which can be placed over sand like regular blocks can be placed over water. It could have something like spiders and scorpions underneath and coyotes and hawks on the surface. If a better breathing device is added, there could also be an underwater area to justify the existence of flippers.

Also, this is probably because I'm a music person, but this game desperately needs new music. Different tracks for the jungle, dungeon, and hell, and new boss music that is real intense with a bold intro like classic NES/SNES games. With mood-enhancing things like that and enough variety in environments and enemies and perhaps new treasures to decorate a house with, this could become a very rich and lasting experience.

Wanace

Whats the best way to carry my shit over to a new world? Do piggybanks carry over? If I break one with the hammer and pick it up will all the stuff inside stay there? Or can I only bring what I can fit in my inventory?

I don't even have a full set of copper armor and I dug all the way down and now the Eye of Cthulu is terrorizing me and I can't even take off 100 HP before it kills me. Kinda want to move on to another world and try to avoid that this time. :p

L00P

Holy shit at Eater of Worlds.

HOLY SHIT.

Reminds me of that manta ray boss in Mario Sunshine. Shit got crazy when I slashed it to pieces.

I died, but it got defeated for some reason. Oh well, free loot! I'm gonna fight the Eye of Cthulhu once more to get the full Shadowscale armor.

TheBez

Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

We have some awesome people here on GAF. Mr_Elysia, for example, is offering you guys 4 copies of Terraria. To win one, it's simple: tell us here in this thread why you'd like to play this great game.

Cheers!

I would like to play this great game because over the last year or so I've found a love for indie games. It started with World of Goo, then Recettear, then Super Meat Boy, then Magicka, and of course the one people like to compare Terarria to. Along the way I've bought many other indie games. During the winter sale I picked all but on of the indie packs and have enjoyed games out of them.

During the Portal 2 ARG (of which I got all 36 potatoes yay!) I got to play more awesome indie games and enjoy them as well. The Portal themed romp through The Ball was amazing, Killing Floor was awesome, and I even found a love for Dejobaan Games!

I've always bought indie game but this past year or so seems really special. A lot of great indie games have released with a lot of fan love behind them. Where some big AAA titles have failed to grasp me, even after I dropped full $60 retail on them, indie games keep bringing me amazing gaming experiences.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NotTarts said:
Alright, if we can get someone else to chip in that's $10 each. I feel like the devs deserve it, anyway.

Good call. Anybody in? For $10 you can help 8 people get this game for free!

Azriell

Brazil said:
I totally wrote Terraria off when I first heard about it. I loved the art style, but my gut reaction was "2D Minecraft WTF". I've made my way into both Terraria topics numerous times now, and read how much fun people seem to be having. The more i read, and the more screens I see, the more and more I want to play this game. It might not be a very creative answer, but I'd love to check out Terraria because it looks pretty cool.

Also LOOT!?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Azriell said:
I totally wrote Terraria off when I first heard about it. I loved the art style, but my gut reaction was "2D Minecraft WTF". I've made my way into both Terraria topics numerous times now, and read how much fun people seem to be having. The more i read, and the more screens I see, the more and more I want to play this game. It might not be a very creative answer, but I'd love to check out Terraria because it looks pretty cool.

That's how I felt about it at first too, and I also hated the art style. :lol

I just read up on the Bands of Starpower and some of the spells, and now I am committed to becoming a magic user. Has anyone accomplished this yet? it seems like it would take a really long time. I just got my 2nd star of mana, hahah

Stitch

Gold Member
lol the goblin army is kinda buggy. it said they would come from the east. so i went to the east and didn't see anything. i went back and BAM! goblins from the west :D

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I like this game a lot so far but the sheer number of slimes is really hindering my ability to explore and that frustrates me.

Retro

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I like this game a lot so far but the sheer number of slimes is really hindering my ability to explore and that frustrates me.

The number of enemies that appear goes down based on how many people you have living in your world.

Build a house, throw a table and two chairs in it, and make sure there's a 'wall' in the background (there are special wall tiles you can craft). Throw in some lighting and a door. Somebody should move in in no time (probably the guide). Keep building houses (or stack them all up in a tower; the people don't need to get in, they just need walls, doors, furniture and light).

It gets better. Trust me.

Forkball

No buy until we get some GAF servers going. Half the fun of Minecraft was seeing the crazy stuff other people made.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forkball said:
No buy until we get some GAF servers going. Half the fun of Minecraft was seeing the crazy stuff other people made.

Well, how did we get the GAF server going for minecraft? I can't afford to keep one running 24-7...

mandiller

Okay, all these good impressions have made me buy the game. I'm just starting out but I have two quick questions:

1. How do you plant acorns to grow trees? (tried right clicking on flat ground, nothing happens)
2. I notice zombies trying to break down my wooden door at night. Can they actually break it? Is there anything I can do to make them stop coming to my door?

Wanace

mandiller said:
Okay, all these good impressions have made me buy the game. I'm just starting out but I have two quick questions:

1. How do you plant acorns to grow trees? (tried right clicking on flat ground, nothing happens)
2. I notice zombies trying to break down my wooden door at night. Can they actually break it? Is there anything I can do to make them stop coming to my door?

1. Left click. And the ground must be clear, no weeds or grasses growing (swipe with your sword or pick or axe to clear the ground).

2. Yes, if enough of them accumulate outside your door they can break in. However I only had this happen during a blood moon. Every other time there were never enough to get through.

Nekrono

Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

First off I'd like to say that you guys are pretty awesome for doing something like this.

Now I'm gonna begin by saying that I've never been a big fan of 'create-your-world-open-sandbox' type of game, I played Minecraft back in the day when the alpha first came out without knowing too much about the game and I think I stopped after ~20 mins, it just wasn't my thing, then months after I was told more about it by some friends that were pretty hooked up by it, stuff like you get attacked at night and the point of the game, etc. I decided to try it again but you had to purchase the game and only the Classic version was playable for free which is pretty much what I had played before and limits the experience a lot. To sum this up I know it's a great game and there's a ton of people that play it and love it BUT it just doesn't scream 'BUY ME!' to me which is EXACTLY what Terraria does! MY GOD I found out about this game about 3-4 days ago and I really don't know how to put it other than I NEED TO HAVE THIS GAME! recently this is one of the few games that I ABSOLUTELY NEED to have, the only other game that I've felt this way about has been The Witcher 2 this year.

When I first looked at it I liked the art style and being in 2D gives it the 'old-school' feel to me, then I find out about the purpose of the game, build your house, fortress, etc and defend it, which is taken from Minecraft yes but it's something that I always found interesting about it, now add that to the combat, the monsters, exploration and pretty much makes it Minecraft + Castlevania + Metroid = Terraria, that sounds like a mix I wouldn't want to pass on... actually just reading that makes me wanna own this game! at this point I was already sold but then I read that the game has loot, co-op and a multiplayer element to it? PvP is to be added in the future? content, items, etc as well? doesn't get any better than that, this is one of the reasons why I love being a PC gamer, indie developers but most importantly... the support for their games, especially for free, I'd love if future content for Terraria is free but the game looks so great and fun that I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Anyways the reason why I haven't bought this yet and why I haven't played it for hours and hours is because right now I don't have a lot of money and I have a lot of backlog to clear but after I finish the game I'm currently playing (RDR) I was seriously thinking in getting Terraria and just put my backlog on pause, actually I'm so hooked to this game (without even owning it) that it's making me wanna stop with RDR and jump straight to it and that is to say a lot since I'm loving every minute of RDR!.

Anyways, whether I'm one of the lucky ones or not this was a great chance to express my thoughts about this game and in all honesty most of the people that enter the contest will end up owning the game eventually, chances are you are already interested in it if you care to participate, that and a Steam sale in the future will be more than enough for us to finally give in!.

On a side note... I heard some guy in a video say that the game is doing incredibly well in sales with 50k+ already or something like that, if true those are great news and it's well deserved for Re-Logic.

Cool game. Very addictive.

I take it
worm enemies
can get inside your house regardless of it being sealed up properly, so there's no reason running home if one latches on to me underground?

And is it best just to discover how to make new stuff naturally, or is better to get spoiled on their wiki at some point?

Stitch said:
lol the goblin army is kinda buggy. it said they would come from the east. so i went to the east and didn't see anything. i went back and BAM! goblins from the west :D

You were probably going the wrong way. The sun rises on the left side of the screen, so left is east.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BobJustBob said:
You were probably going the wrong way. The sun rises on the left side of the screen, so left is east.

mind blown

Brazil bear in mind there are 8 copies up for grabs now. You might want to update the contest post :)

edit: Just found an extra cloud in a bottle. It lets you double jump! Anybody want it?

kevm3

This game is much more fun if you don't read all the faqs and just learn to do most things on yourself. I've been in 24 hours and I hardly have any spectacular equipment. I honestly like it better that way since it prolongs the game and keeps the sense of exploration up.

Grinchy

Banned
I agree that the fake review is mostly unfunny, but I have chuckled a couple times. I admit I can be easily entertained sometimes, however.

@GDJustin - I had a lot of the same complaints during my first ~4 hours of playing. This is one of those weird games that start out by pissing me off, but something about it makes me stick around until everything clicks. Maybe it'll be the same for you, but this game definitely isn't for everyone.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

Just got back into pc gaming a few weeks ago because I finally put together a new pc. I've been following this OT closely because it's pretty interesting to read what people say about the game and what they've encountered due to the random nature. The other reason is because every time I log into steam my friend is always playing this, and has been non stop now. Just looking for another PC game that I can chill out and play with some friends and gaffers. I'm sure if I enjoy reading about you guys playing this game, I'll probably love playing it too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grinchy said:
I agree that the fake review is mostly unfunny, but I have chuckled a couple times. I admit I can be easily entertained sometimes, however.

At the very least I don't think there was anything in there worth having it taken down, although it to me was so unfunny as to be easily mistaken for being serious... and were it serious I guess I could understand the instinct to want to have it taken down.

Regardless it wasn't funny enough considering he goes and shows the guy's picture on youtube and makes fun of his physical appearance... and that wasn't even the main dev for the game in the first place.

kevinski

Banned
I noticed that there are plans to create an Xbox 360 version. Do Xbox Live Indie Games use Xbox LIVE for multi-player, or would a game like this still have its own separate servers that would need to be maintained by users?

taoofjord

I was interested in this game when it was announced but then their extremely quick launch left me scratching my head. After playing with it for an hour the short dev time that leaves the game feeling amateurish and unpolished doesn't matter because the small block size is such a massive mistake in the game's design that no amount of polishing would make the game fun to me. Building and digging is extremely tedious and unless they make the blocks bigger I can't see myself getting into it.

It's really a shame as I'm definitely interested in a more action-oriented, loot based minecraft game. The whole thing just feels like a rush job to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom