• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's a guy who's been in Beta for a while (in fact, he spends the first two minutes droning on about it) confirming that the new ores are alternatives and that if one appears, the other will not; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5PQr289XuoY

So yeah; new ores are randomly inserted in place of the old materials, not alongside them. That means if you want to get the more powerful versions, you'll have to reroll constantly. Take pity on hoarders, collectors and builders. The people who play the game just for the combat / adventure will probably not even notice since all of this 'new' content is just padding out the early game they likely won't bother repeating.

Wow I stand corrected. What a stupid design decision to make. Seriously what purpose does it serve other than re-rolling? I genuinely would like to know what the idea behind this is.

Retro

New video on the "Extractor". You feed it Silt or slush and it produces coins, ore and gems. Drops from chests, apparently. This is at least a halfway decent idea; turn something useless (why was silt added in the first place though?) into something of relative value.

Wow I stand corrected. What a stupid design decision to make. Seriously what purpose does it serve other than re-rolling? I genuinely would like to know what the idea behind this is.

Yep. In the same video, he mentions lead is the alternative to iron and platinum is the alternative to gold. I believe Tungsten is the alternative for Silver, then. He might mention that outright, I haven't finished yet. He did find something called "Crimtane Ore", but he immediately realizes it's just the alternative form of Demonite. The developer's wife also mentioned that when you trigger hardmode, those ores may have alternatives too. So this completely pointless change goes through the whole game with absolutely no reason for it. What the fuck.

When people bring it up on the official forums, the mob of freaks jump down their throat and tell them to "wait until they play it before they pass judgement", even though that makes literally no sense when we can see exactly what is going on and why it's a bad idea.

As to what's behind it... I'm going to stick with "he has no experience and no idea what he's doing" until I hear a legitimate reason. There's no reason I can think of for padding the beginning of the game with such a pointless change.

Core Zero

It's kind of the "one dev run amok" problem. I presume Red developed this update by himself, and I doubt his partners before would have told him no to an idea, so while he had one great idea, he doesn't really have the experience or team necessary to refine it, and no one to stop him when he has a bad idea.

I'm worried now that 1.2 will actually make the game a worse experience.

That said, Terraria overall is really damn good. I kind of wish Red had passed it off to the devs that asked for it when he first announced he was taking a break... I think it was the Dungeons of Dredmor team.

Retro

That said, Terraria overall is really damn good. I kind of wish Red had passed it off to the devs that asked for it when he first announced he was taking a break... I think it was the Dungeons of Dredmor team.

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards now as today has just been nothing but bad news from that game. Now that we're starting to see preview videos and stuff, it's quickly becoming obvious that this isn't nearly as big as they claimed it would be and a lot of it is just flat out useless.

And Terraria in the hands of anyone would be an improvement, I think.

I know it's still up in the air, but despite all the delays the Starbound team at least seems to have their shit together conceptually.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of the "one dev run amok" problem. I presume Red developed this update by himself, and I doubt his partners before would have told him no to an idea, so while he had one great idea, he doesn't really have the experience or team necessary to refine it, and no one to stop him when he has a bad idea.

Oh hell no.

Dredmore team has their hands busy with their steampunk cthulu city building game. I don't want anybody to interfere with that.

Retro

Sandstorm in a Bottle Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKzmlb_hPA&feature=youtu.be&a

"...In that treasure chest, you'll always find a Sandstorm in a Bottle..."

So when the devs who were saying "Oh, it was just PBat's luck, most players won't get that right away"... they were either full of shit or they don't know their own game. Because "always" doesn't sound like RNG. In fact, "always" sounds like the kind of thing we'd want for new ore and biomes, not overpowered accessories you can find without even looking.

What a mess.

I'm pretty sure he's alluding to the Extractor, which we've seen. It turns silt into gems, ore or coins... but randomly, and in small amounts. It doesn't seem like something you can rely on for the large amounts of ore you need to build things.

Morokh

Sandstorm in a Bottle Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKzmlb_hPA&feature=youtu.be&a

So when the devs who were saying "Oh, it was just PBat's luck, most players won't get that right away"... they were either full of shit or they don't know their own game. Because "always" doesn't sound like RNG. In fact, "always" sounds like the kind of thing we'd want for new ore and biomes, not overpowered accessories you can find without even looking.

What a mess.

Just saw that vid and he added an annotation to say it's not guaranteed.

You might want to take the Beta coverage by anyone but Yrimir with a grain of salt, he seem like the only one actually taking tame to make his vids, and not trying to rush them to ride the hype train, especially if you're so bitter about everything :p (although I'll gladly agree some changes sound weird and maybe not for the best)

duckroll

This doesn't seem different from finding stuff in the chests on the floating islands. They're always there, and there are certain items which are pretty much always in those chests. It sounds like there will be more than one pyramid you can find the desert, so there are probably a number of items you can get from a chest inside one of them.

Retro

Just saw that vid and he added an annotation to say it's not guaranteed.

Wouldn't surprise me if they changed it, given the reaction on the forums to it and similar features.

I was watching PBat's stream last night and the developers were in the chat and were making changes to various things as he demonstrated them. For example, there's an ice sword that has a particle effect that glows, which actually reveals about 60 tiles beneath you, through solid surfaces. So of course, he was using it like sonar to map things under him. Redigit then chimed in to say that they were going to remove it before Tuesday.

They don't know what they're doing and as players see it and chime in, they're adjusting it. So my guess is that Hero was asked to change it because they themselves are removing it due to players (rightfully) pointing out how poorly designed it is.

This doesn't seem different from finding stuff in the chests on the floating islands. They're always there, and there are certain items which are pretty much always in those chests. It sounds like there will be more than one pyramid you can find the desert, so there are probably a number of items you can get from a chest inside one of them.

Yes, but the floating islands were always out of view, whereas the desert is on ground level and the pyramid sticks out pretty clearly. You could theoretically build straight up and then horizontal platforms to get the floating island loot early (if you even knew it was there, unless you spoiled yourself you probably wouldn't), but that's kind of tedious (and dangerous, with harpies).

Also worth pointing out that they later changed the Floating Island chests to require a gold key, which only drops in the dungeon, because that loot was obviously of a higher quality. The fact that they want back and changed it just shows that they knew they fucked up.

Raxum

1.2 Changelog (WIP) is up:

Okay, so apart from the ores being a horizontal progression thing, it actually sounds like a decent update. Pyramids being a rare spawn is kind of annoying though, looks like I'll be spawning maps until I find one. Will definitely be scouring this to see what is coming up.

I've been out of the loop since 2012. Saw the 1.2 trailer and almost pooped, though I know almost NOTHING about the changes coming.

Am I in for a surprise?

Cronee

I've been out of the loop since 2012. Saw the 1.2 trailer and almost pooped, though I know almost NOTHING about the changes coming.

Am I in for a surprise?

Read the wip changelog that was posted a few posts back and look up some of the youtube videos. Its a pretty massive change that's coming.

Retro

Sorry for the double post, but this merits a bump;

<@Redigit> If things go well I might be able to set it live at midnight.
<@Redigit> I just want to do a bit more testing to make sure it doesn't ruin anything.
<@Redigit> 9 hours for me.

mileS

There game will now ask you if you want to use UPnP to automatically port-forward when hosting multiplayer

As someone that never messed with this, and used strickly Hamachi to play multiplayer. What does this mean?

VandalD

Excellent. I'm expecting around 1pm EST tomorrow, usual Steam daily deal changeover time. Midnight would be a nice too. Weird design decisions in this patch, but still very much looking forward to it.
As someone that never messed with this, and used strickly Hamachi to play multiplayer. What does this mean?
Should mean that unless you have an asshole router, multiplayer should work without Hamachi. No way to tell until you get your hands on it though.

IceMarker

Sorry for the double post, but this merits a bump;

<@Redigit> If things go well I might be able to set it live at midnight.
<@Redigit> I just want to do a bit more testing to make sure it doesn't ruin anything.
<@Redigit> 9 hours for me.

yifrbkr.gif

Retro

Is the OT getting updated so I can move this back into Gaming?

I guess that depends on Brazil. He's still an active poster according to his history, but he almost never posts in here (last post was 2011). And the last time there was a patch he got snippy when it was implied he didn't keep it up to date. Since he rarely posts in his own thread, it always appears like he abandoned it. It's a bit late for somebody to step up and create a new OT.

Maybe PM him?

Retro

Nobody wants to make a new OT?

Discussion kind of died off. I can do it if you want, but it'll be pretty basic as far as OTs go. That's not a bad thing, I guess, since it's just an update.

I suppose you could edit Brazil's OT, but he might rage over it.

duckroll

Discussion kind of died off. I can do it if you want, but it'll be pretty basic as far as OTs go. That's not a bad thing, I guess, since it's just an update.

Terraria is back on the top sellers list on Steam though, surely we're expecting fresh blood? I dunno, I just thought it would be neat to have a place for newcomers or returning players to discuss the likes and dislikes of the new version in Gaming. :/

Retro

Terraria is back on the top sellers list on Steam though, surely we're expecting fresh blood? I dunno, I just thought it would be neat to have a place for newcomers or returning players to discuss the likes and dislikes of the new version in Gaming. :/

Alright, gimmie an hour or two and I'll go ahead and get a new OT together.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right, folks, in preparation for the inevitable update, here's the server info, quote this message to see the information. Obviously, update not up yet, so server not up. I might not actually put it up until tomorrow night, honestly, but at least you guys have the info.

House Rules:

1) GAF members need no special permission to get on the server.
2) "Friends" of GAF members may be allowed on after you PM me a message stating who the friend is, and what their character name/names are. You don't have to wait for me to give the go ahead, just send me a PM so I have a record.
3) DON'T MESS WITH OTHER PLAYER'S BUILD PROJECTS.
4) For the love of Cthulu's Floating Eyeball, don't drain the damn oceans.
5) Underground Highways, Hellshafts, and Air Bridges are allowed. The exceptions are that they must not interfere with another player's build project, go through a dungeon that hasn't been unlocked yet, or go through corruption without taking proper measures to actually stop it in its tracks and spreading along the pathway.
6) Excessive bomb throwing ABOVE GROUND is prohibited. Go nuts underground if you want, but no where near any build projects.
7) Failure to comply with any of the above will result in an immediate kick and ban from the server.

TIPS FOR ENJOYING YOURSELF ON THE SERVER
1) I dunno, use a new character for it?
2) Its a casual server for now, so, build/explore.
3) Please, I know I can't stop you guys, but please do not activate hardmode. See #2? I said CASUAL server. Its no fun when new players have to suffer the hell that is hardmode with POS equipment.
4) Speaking of equipment, its nice to give gifts and all, but really, be very stingy about it on the server. Its best for new players to actually earn their equipment.

TO THE FUTURE
1) The first world that goes up, will just be temporary. Don't get attached. But you're welcome to go nuts with your build projects (*cough* Retro *cough*)
2) The 2nd iteration of the world will be the one to watch for. That one goes up as soon as the server mods are made available, AND I can find a decent map editor program that works with the new update. Every possible awesome build project that we've done in previous world maps, I'm going to just shove into the 2nd new world. There'll be other surprises too, but you'll need to look for them. The one guaranteed thing that will be in is the Tower. I'm sure many of the old players remember the Tower.
3) I don't exactly know how long I'll keep the servers running, if players start to drop off, then I'll revert to maybe putting it up only on weekends. But one guaranteed thing will be that as soon as they announce the Starbound beta, we're gonna have a little "apocalypse" party. That also will have its own little surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom