• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
taoofjord said:
Man, I was interested in this game when it was announced but then their extremely quick launch left me scratching my head. It just seems like a game that needs more time in development. After playing with it for an hour or so none of that really matters because I feel like the small block size is such a massive mistake in the game's design. Building and digging feel extremely tedious because of this and unless they change that I can't see myself getting into the game. A shame, because I'm definitely interested in a more action-oriented, loot based minecraft game. The whole thing just feels like a rush job to me.

Funny, for such a short dev cycle, I had the opposite impression. The game feels remarkably polished considering that some games being worked on for four times as long are still in beta.

kevinski said:
I noticed that there are plans to create an Xbox 360 version. Do Xbox Live Indie Games use Xbox LIVE for multi-player, or would a game like this still have its own separate servers that would need to be maintained by users?

If you wanted an always up multiplayer world on an Xbox you'd have to leave your Xbox on and running the game.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Was bored tonight so I made a library.

icx02i.jpg

Finally in full Molten Set, Molten Fury, Molten Pickaxe, and Flamerang. Gonna grab a few things from the Jungle and Hell and then onward to Skeletron.

Wanace

Hawkian said:
Aaaaaah eye of cthulu and no armor

I changed worlds to avoid the damn thing and he still comes for me haha.

Luckily I do have armor but my enchanted boomerang is going to make the fight extremely long and i will have to heal up a shitload too. :(

Edit: I did about 700 damage before i died :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
xelios said:
Was bored tonight so I made a library.
You can take those spikes from the dungeon? Do they hurt you and/or enemies?

Those books are going to mildew.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dice said:
You can take those spikes from the dungeon? Do they hurt you and/or enemies?

Those books are going to mildew.

Yes, with a hammer. They hurt me, but not the enemies. Can make some interesting designs by building around blocks. As you can see they can also hold lava and water.

And it'll give them character!

Grinchy

Banned
Hawkian said:
Funny, for such a short dev cycle, I had the opposite impression. The game feels remarkably polished considering that some games being worked on for four times as long are still in beta.
Yeah, ditto. This game has a ton of shit, and it's not like there are game breaking bugs all over the place. Everything I've experienced has run just as intended.

About small block size, it really does become a non-issue once you've played the game longer (if you make it that far, some people just won't like the game which is fine).

Dice

I have become really good at managing the inventory now. I do it while running around and fighting. The only thing I wish was different was that if you had an item "in hand" and closed the inventory, that it would automatically go to an empty spot in the inventory. That way if I wanted to switch to a weapon I didn't have ready, I could do so more quickly without dropping the item I'm switching out from.

It would also make building a hell of a lot smoother if you could place at the speed you run and fall. I think I've maximized the speed of the step rhythm I need to make it so it doesn't skip any spots, but it would be awesome to just hold left to crate a full layer or jump down to create a full column.

trinest

Brazil said:

Click the banner above for a chance to win a copy of the game!

The sprites draw to me this game- the retro charm you may call it. However the Minecraft esk world while it worked for Minecraft- I can't seem to wrap my head around and support "clones" with a clear mind. The game seems solid enough to give players something else- something different, but I'm scared as to what it offers different. Will it work? Or is it a gamble? Questions I ask- which the deveper should of asked, are what will keep me on the edge, however inside I want to experience- and I want to learn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dice said:
It would also make building a hell of a lot smoother if you could place at the speed you run and fall.

This would be a great tweak- even something like requiring an item to do it (builder's gloves?) would be awesome.

Max

I am not Max
I'd like to play this great game because I love Minecraft and metroidvanias and sprite graphics and free games.

There is my contest entry!

Grinchy said:
Yeah, ditto. This game has a ton of shit, and it's not like there are game breaking bugs all over the place. Everything I've experienced has run just as intended.

About small block size, it really does become a non-issue once you've played the game longer (if you make it that far, some people just won't like the game which is fine).

Yeah, once you get a high level pickaxe and can destroy blocks in one blow it's a non-issue.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
4a. If you have Windows Vista or 7, open up a command prompt and type:
Quote:
mklink /d "My Documents\My Games\Terraria" "Dropbox\Terraria"
Obviously, replace what I have in quotes with your actual My Documents\My Games directory and your Dropbox directory. You can actually drag and drop from the address bar right into the command prompt (very handy).
Can someone explain this to me? I tried the "mklink /d" command, but I don't know if the command line should start with system32 or with "MYPCNAME". In other words, should I start the command.exe as administrator or not?
Every time a tried so far, it said there's a syntax error :(

i tried:
C:\Users\Firefly>mklink /d C:\Users\Firefly\Documents\My Games\Terraria_Backup C
:\Users\Firefly\Dropbox\Terraria

which leads to:
Syntaxfehler.

And:
C:\Windows\system32>mklink /d C:\Users\Firefly\Documents\My Games\Terraria_Backup C
:\Users\Firefly\Dropbox\Terraria

and again:
Syntaxfehler.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Where you run the command from isn't important but the quotation marks are.

You're on Windows 7 right?

Also, take away the _Backup from the first path.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Hawkian said:
Where you run the command from isn't important but the quotation marks are.

You're on Windows 7 right?

Also, take away the _Backup from the first path.
But I already renamed the folder?

Ok, thanks for the tip with the quotation marks, but now I get "A File cannot be created if it already exists". Damn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...no... rename the folder back to Terraria_Backup.

Take away the _Backup when you run the command.

edit: To clarify you need to be targeting a folder that isn't there with the first path in the command.

Noogy

trinest said:
However the Minecraft esk world while it worked for Minecraft- I can't seem to wrap my head around and support "clones" with a clear mind.
First off Minecraft was also a clone, and secondly this game offers enough unique content to make it feel very different. I don't see how supporting these devs hurts anyone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Noogy said:
First off Minecraft was also a clone, and secondly this game offers enough unique content to make it feel very different. I don't see how supporting these devs hurts anyone.

If the game didn't have Notch's blessing I'd feel strange.
Notch: @pecet Nope, we're not. It's an amazing looking game, and it doesn't contain any of our code or art. I'm looking forward to playing it

Dice

-Gotta get a water candle to farm for sunfury. This shit is just taking too long.
-Flower of fire nets 20 silver? Not bad.
-Damn, since when did I have 60+ gold in my wallet? I haven't been paying attention.
-You can hold right click to rapid buy things or rapid select a specific amount from a batch. Mind blown.
-I wish you could choose a crosshair cursor instead. Aside from managing inventory, it would feel more natural with the nature of everything else. If this isn't possible, then merely highlighting the block/enemy you are hovering over would be great.
-They need to get to task on stair action. Only one block high? Your character should just step up.

Baloonatic said:
Yeah, once you get a high level pickaxe and can destroy blocks in one blow it's a non-issue.
Agreed. It would really be horrible to have larger blocks. I do think it would be nice to have the top two blocks of your character have no clip on corner pieces. While it would make less sense in terms of "literal world" it would make a lot more sense in terms of sprite-game traditions which have become instinctive for many. If you build a diagonal path, it looks wider than it feels like it needs to be. This is because your head bumps into stuff that it would pass through in a lot of other games. It would be tricky to implement because you'd still want to not pass through a horizontal path unless it was 3 blocks high.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
trinest said:
The sprites draw to me this game- the retro charm you may call it. However the Minecraft esk world while it worked for Minecraft- I can't seem to wrap my head around and support "clones" with a clear mind. The game seems solid enough to give players something else- something different, but I'm scared as to what it offers different. Will it work? Or is it a gamble? Questions I ask- which the deveper should of asked, are what will keep me on the edge, however inside I want to experience- and I want to learn.

minecraft is a clone of infiniminer lol

Meteor heads are super annoying. It's tough to deal with them too unless you mine with TNT as mining with the golden axe is slow and only does one damage to them (50 health.) They spawn in packs of 3-6 or so on screen all the time and pass through walls, so it really is quite impossible to mine in peace.

Anyway, this is what the meteorite looked like when I found it. Got about half of it out now though. It seems like a big chunk is missing though, unless my meteorite just happens to be a sort of crescent shape. Let me know if anyone else had a bigger meteorite. I'll be sure to scout around anyway since the house was built directly to the left of a floating island, so there may be things in the sky that could have taken a piece of it.

8254579FF72604A077ABD80E9709DD936A103351

I was mining a meteorite site when a blood moon decided to rise. I was rich after slaying so many of those things! I would have been screwed with slightly worse equipment though.

I'm off to try and find my Dungeon now. Is the entrance above ground? If not then it could take forever. I haven't even found my jungle yet.

I was thinking about restarting on a smaller world a while ago but I don't think I'd like it as much as large. I am going to need a map viewer for those floating islands...

Brazil said:

Nice move Mr_Elysia, people like you really make GAF special.

I am a huge Minecraft fan and would like to play this new approach. Some friends of mine already play and say it is great.
What I read and saw of this game, this should be just for me.
I love Minecraft, I love 2D Metriodvania/Action Games, I love to explore huge maps.

Congrats to every winner :)

Neki

Freyjadour said:
Finally in full Molten Set, Molten Fury, Molten Pickaxe, and Flamerang. Gonna grab a few things from the Jungle and Hell and then onward to Skeletron.
weird, dungeon difficulty wise is way easier than hell. skeletron will be easy with that armor, beating him in demonite or meterorite is super tough, especially since you have no access to any superior ranged weapons. hope you have a molten bow or a phoenix gun or you're in for a long fight!

Mairu

The only items I still want are Cobalt Legs and Rocket Boots. Got tired of going back and forth to the Jungle area so I decided to work on my infrastructure. Managed to get my storage building complete and after way too much back and forth got a lava pit under it.

FC1A4B1717C0728AE192894D382AEF87E4F62AD0

Decided to make an underground tunnel to a demon altar nearby and then after that decided to make another tunnel to go down to an area to make a mushroom farm or something. Kept hitting water when I was trying to dig down so I thought I would take a look and see how much water there actually was in that one area.

ivNuW.png

So much damn water.

Dice

Another two fruitless hours trying to get a sunfury. I did get a flamelash but who cares about that? UGH

Enco

My play time is really racking up.

I should be studying but this game is too great :lol

Still don't have anything good. Just got a piggy bank which is cool.

edit: I think the small block size is amazing. Minecraft's blocks are far too large to build normal sized houses for example.

Retro

I think I'm just about done for the time being, though I do want to check out the sky islands.... I just don't feel like flying into oblivion forever to get to them.

I finished my main map's Dungeon last night, got a Muramasa and that's about it. Little bits of dungeon advice;

- Blue Candles spawn extra enemies if you have them in your inventory. If you really must have them, grab them on the way out.

- Bring dirt, wall off sections you've explored. Lots of places in the dungeon loop back on each other.

- Smash any chests you empty so you're not tempted to check them again.

- Bring more arrows than you think you'll need.

Dice said:
-They need to get to task on stair action. Only one block high? Your character should just step up.
I think little incline pieces you can craft would make that a bit easier, at least when building... down in dungeons, I kind of prefer everything feel chunky and rough.
Mairu said:
ivNuW.png

So much damn water.
Dude, get in there, dig until it flows into a single channel and funnel it down to a single drainage point and you'd have the Obsidian Farm of forever.

Nice storage tower too.

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to run a dedicated server permanently...is there a way I can get it going without Steam saying I'm in Terraria all the time?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

We have some awesome people here on GAF. Mr_Elysia, for example, is offering you guys 4 copies of Terraria. To win one, it's simple: tell us here in this thread why you'd like to play this great game.

I'll be the judge (and I promise to be fair - players who already have the game can give their opinions too, and I'll take them in consideration) and choose the 4 most creative or interesting answers. The deadline is the next tuesday.

I want this game because I think it's amazing that somebody looked at Minecraft and said "You know what would be awesome? If somebody made that into a videogame."

I don't have anything against Minecraft, I just have very little interest in it. Terraria, on the other hand, does a lot of what I want out of a game. It may not be built on entirely new concepts but it seems to take some good ideas and runs with them. It also has goals and rules. Those help when I'm playing games.

Eventually I will end up buying it either way, but I can't afford it right now. Even if I don't win, here's the video where I first heard of Terraria. Got me interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFYmJmhpMAE
WTF is Terraria?

edit: Really didn't meant to come off as negative as I was to Minecraft. Just not my kind of thing. No offense meant to people that loved lego as a kid, I can see what the appeal is but it just doesn't appeal to me.

BurningNad

Well after defeating Skeletron and going through the dungeon (which was really underwhelming after all I did to prepare), my desire to play has plummeted. I'll probably take a break from it for a while and then scout out a jungle or go floating island hunting. I've got a Sunfury and full molten set, as well as a molten pick. Need to decide which range weapon to go for, for my "ultimate" set. But a break is definitely needed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rygar 8 Bit said:
phoenix blaster with the meteor bullets is pretty awesome

I just powered through hell and made a full molten armor set and that's what I want right now. Where do you get a handgun though?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Hawkian said:
I just powered through hell and made a full molten armor set and that's what I want right now. Where do you get a handgun though?

drops from chests has a higher drop rate in dungeons but you can get them from world chests as well

Dice

Rygar 8 Bit said:
phoenix blaster with the meteor bullets is pretty awesome
Use it on zombies during blood moon, it makes you feel badass. You can also use it during a goblin invasion to really show them who not to fuck with.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i also use it to find floating islands the bullets bounce when they hit something so if you shoot up and your bullet comes back that means you hit a island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom