• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TES Online in 2024 - what’s the state of play?

Banjo64

cumsessed
This game, alongside FO76, has seen a steady stream of updates over the years.

It looks to have a respectable player count 10 years after release.

GAF in general seems dismissive when this game shows up at Xbox shows, but it’s clearly popular.

So if anyone is playing this in 2024, what’s the deal? Is this a really good game now? Is it basically mega TES V on steroids? Any frustrations etc.

I'm off and on it. If you're okay with the MMO aspects I think it's worth giving it a chance. Keep in mind you're not going to be roleplaying. It's press x to continue diologue.

In terms of ES lore and story if you're interested in that I think it's pretty high quality. At times up there and better than the main games. All content is fully voiced as well.

I'm interested to know as well, specifically if they've added an option like LOTRO to scale difficulty.

No scaling unfortunatley. Open zones are piss easy which has been an on-going complaint

Last edited:

Vlodril

I thought it was one of the better MMORPG's we got as a second wave (after wow's huge success). There is a ton of content. Everything is voiced. There are also mini games now (there is a card games i liked). Plenty of classes to choose from and the game went all over tamriel (i only played skyrim so i am not knowledgeable of the lore but from what i ve read it has alot of it for people that love that sort of thing.

Meowtor

Gold Member
FO76 has taken me away from ESO, but i still keep my ESO+ subsription and play with the wife when were both together.

As someone who has 0 nostalgia for elder scrolls, i still really enjoy ESO and happy to answer any questions.

Quests are fun, but its not like WORLD CHANGING quests (at the end of the day, you have choices but they lead to the same end). Gameplay wise, very toolbar focused like an MMO. world scales to your level which is nice when playing with people who have hundreds of levels on you (no need to worry about smurf accounts or crap when playing with friends).

So if anyone is playing this in 2024, what’s the deal?
It's fun, I compare it to Guild Wars in certain aspects with using a limited skill bar and armor sets to make builds. It even has a popular builds site just like Guild Wars. After all of the updates, this game is the biggest Elder Scrolls game imaginable and my assumption is that they will stop once they have mapped out the entire planet of Tamriel.
Is this a really good game now?
Yes, as long as you don't expect an online Skyrim. I will repeat this in every thread about ESO, this game does not play like Skyrim. So don't set that expectation. Just hope that the next game the ESO team is working on will play more like Skyrim.
Is it basically mega TES V on steroids?
No.
Any frustrations etc.
The only frustration I've had in my 7+ years of playing is the fact that character quest dialogue is too wordy. It makes it very tempting to skip through it when you're getting paragraphs of dialogue for something that could be explained in two to three sentences. That's something that Skyrim did better in terms of pacing and it helped immensely.

And for any Morrowind fans, no this isn't the good type of wordy where they explain how to get to a location, this is the bad type of wordy to where they will sometimes repeat a statement or an objective twice in the same paragraph or overly explain a simple point of 'go get this to help ____' etc.

I also agree that the level scaling probably wasn't the best idea in the long run but I get why they did it, so you can have the freedom to explore anywhere and start that area's quest chain. However, they could have solved this difficulty problem by introducing a 'hard mode' version of the world itself.

Top Bottom