• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Republican Wants to Out LGBT Kids in School to their Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

AMARILLO, Texas—A Republican lawmaker has introduced a bill to force teachers and other school faculty to out LGBT students to their families, even if a student asks that their sexual orientation or gender identity remain secret.

Senate Bill 242, introduced this month by Tea Party legislator Konni Burton, would penalize teachers with suspension without pay or even termination if they refuse to tell parents about students’ requests regarding issues dealing with their gender or sexual identities.

It appears Burton was inspired to introduce S.B. 242 after the school district in her native Fort Worth adopted guidelines that many see as positive for the transgender community. Students dealing with gender identity issues are to have their requests for things such as restroom or locker-room use dealt with on a case-by-case basis that would not require teachers to divulge their gender identities without considering students’ wishes. The senator wrote an op-ed in May condemning the rules.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ublican-wants-to-out-lgbt-kids-in-school.html

How can these people be accepted and embraced by others?

timthumb-php.png

All these fuckers coming out of the woodworks.

Remember when people thought LGBT folks didn't have to worry about a Trump Presidency?

GhostBed

I'm bi. I haven't come out to my parents yet because I'm scared of being disowned.

I honestly want to die after reading this. It's people like this fuckface that make LGBT+ people feel worthless.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As pointed out elsewhere, this proposal both terrorizes children into staying hidden and being afraid of finding adult allies outside the home, *and* it pathologizes being non-straight into the default state of being a "health issue". This is totally designed to send kids the message that if you're having The Gay Thoughts you're sick in the head and should be ashamed.

No surprise here though. The Texas GOP has the language in their official party mandate that instructs party members to actively de-legitimize LGBT persons and reinforce the message that they cannot have healthy relationships with other people. That they are "disordered" by engaging in their deviant lifestyle.

Derwind

It's funny how people were once so afraid of Sharia Law creeping into the western world...

Turns out, foreign extremism never needed to do anything.

Can we just kick Texas out of the US? God damn Florida looks level headed in comparison. Every week is some new disgusting legislature or attempt at one.

.....how would they even know which ones to out?

.... read the article? It says right in it it's in response to another law.

But why? What's even the point of this? Every passing day I'm thankful for not being American.

As an American, I'm starting to see your point. Fuck this backwards country. minorities have as many rights as fucking cattle. Hell the cattle probably have more rights at this point.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
But why? What's even the point of this? Every passing day I'm thankful for not being American.

The overall mission of the GOP and social conservatives is to force LGBT people back into hiding and secrecy. Blocking LGBT marriage and adoption discourages alternative family units. Blocking anti-discrimination laws for LGBT allows employers and businesses to pressure people. Bathroom bills are designed to scare trans persons into visibly presenting as their biological birth gender and conservative social norms for appearance.

The GOP yearns for the good old days of 1950s America when LGBT persons "didn't exist" because polite society refused to acknowledge them, and LGBT people generally stayed 100% hidden.

Piecake

While Texas has made strides in accepting and protecting its LGBT community—Dunn pointed to the nation’s first openly transgender judge, Phyllis Frye of Houston—there is still danger, especially from religious-fundamentalist families: “Mommy or daddy is going to say, ‘You can’t be that way.’ Then they’ll jump in and say ‘you need to do reparative therapy,’ which is now done in the name of religion.”

Reparative therapy, the attempt to change a person’s (usually a minor’s) sexual orientation, is often performed by religious organizations. The American Psychiatric Association “opposes any psychiatric treatment such as reparative or conversion therapy,” according to the National Center for Lesbian Rights, as does the American Psychological Association.

There are no studies proving its efficacy. The scientific community’s general consensus is that it’s harmful pseudoscience.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
both slides are the same

This comment gets more hilarious the more Republicans descend into villainy and the further we slip away from sanity. Yet there are still people who say it unironically.

"The GOP has carpet bombed a minority neighborhood!!"

"Damn, that's terrible bro, anyways I voted 3rd party because both sides are the same"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Amazing how they want to penalize teachers.

WTF does any of this have to do with educating and teaching our children?

And if at a certain age kids can go to the doctor without a parent how are they going to penalize teachers for something like this?

This is absolute madness.

This isnt even a concern of the teachers. This is a doctor or therapist issue. I guess by putting the weight on teachers that arent bound by privacy or confidentially they are trying to create a loophole for outing ppl.

Fuck this.

Soul Beat

As someone from Amarillo I can definitely say...

Sounds like Amarillo.

Upon further reading, the lady isn't even from here. Point still stands though.

What a fucking travesty.

Ekai

It's funny how people were once so afraid of Sharia Law creeping into the western world...

Turns out, foreign extremism never needed to do anything.

Christian fundamentalists have always been the religious extremists to watch out for in the states.

This is such an incredibly stupid and hurtful waste of legal time and taxpayer money, which is, ironically, something conservatives love to bitch about. And yet they keep voting these fools into office because "mah religion!"

Sad!

RPGCrazied

Gross. You don't force this on someone. Coming out for me was the hardest thing in my life, and my parents still aren't over it. They deal with it, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom