• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Republican Wants to Out LGBT Kids in School to their Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
both slides are the same

18-dual-lane-waterslide.jpg

pirata

You mean the panhandle (aka Southwest Oklahoma) when you say North Texas, right? We in DFW/Denton are good people, too :(

I don't have much experience with that part of the state other than by reputation, but Denton sounds cool (but I heard that the county went Trump in the election which is...not cool), and Dallas...honestly, I don't know a whole lot about Dallas, but it seems really business-focused, but there has been a lot of pro-LGBT stuff happening there. The rest of North Texas, though, seems...not so great.

Like I said, my mom's side of the family is from the Panhandle. It's awful there. My best friend is also going to law school in Lubbock. He's going crazy up there.

Kthulhu

But I still don't see their end goal. Why do they care so much? This question isn't addressed enough

Because their base is homophobic and transphobic.

And racist and sexist.

These actions look good to the racist part of their base, and the ones who aren't get fed BS by fox news about how it's a good thing.

Boney

Banned
It's obvious this is hateful shit to just harm the students. But I do think it's important to help kids fully embrace themselves and to help lighten their burden of the guilt of having to stay in the closet and being defensive about a part of who they are.

That woman is horrible and this is horrible, but something similar I think is worth pursuing.

It's obvious this is hateful shit to just harm the students. But I do think it's important to help kids fully embrace themselves and to help lighten their burden of the guilt of having to stay in the closet and being defensive about a part of who they are.

That woman is horrible and this is horrible, but something similar I think is worth pursuing.

Helping kids fully embrace themselves and help lighten the burden of guilt was precisely what the school policy was for. Instead, this law treats being gay as an illness that can be "cured." It's treated even worse than an illness, as most doctors would (and should) respect the wishes of an adolescent about telling their parents about issues of sexuality. It basically combines the illness "theory" with enshrining the worst kind of helicopter parenting into law. The law doesn't even address parents that want their kids to have a modicum of privacy. It's really hard to find a perspective from which this bill is healthy for the individuals or society.

I'm trying to understand the other, it's just really hard sometimes because there are so many misconceptions and elements of animus baked into their world view.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
In future, if the reaction is likely to be 90% of posts being simply "Fuck off" or "this is bullshit" let's not post it. It's a discussion forum, post things to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom