• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Republican Wants to Out LGBT Kids in School to their Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
These fuckers just don't know when to quit. What is even the point of this besides being shitty?

Crayon

Some people are saying it, I'm not but some people are, perhaps we need to give them a chance. There's something going on there.

I didnt mean to be so ambiguous/sarcastic. Republicans are doing evil and I drown in my internal screaming when we are scolded for saying so.

Are we sure we wouldn't mobilize more Democrats with a message of "vote to stop evil"? Are we really sure? Because they call us evil all day and all nite and they get out the vote.

Kettch

.....how would they even know which ones to out?

if they refuse to tell parents about students’ requests regarding issues dealing with their gender or sexual identities.

Basically, if students ask for help, teachers would be required to fuck them over.

This is the kind of thing that leads to higher suicide rates.

Lenz44

Banned
I've come to the realization with this election is that 50% of people in the country don't have the same regard for human life and common decency in any way shape or form. Everything the GOP does now just hurts. Stories like this break my heart. I'm a straight white male and it saddens and frustrates and infuriates me, so I can't even fathom how someone being targeted by half the country must feel.

WillyFive

Basically, if students ask for help, teachers would be required to fuck them over.

This is the kind of thing that leads to higher suicide rates.

Yes. Teachers are bound to confidentiality, only exception is for child abuse; however, this bill would forcibly place the teacher in the impossible situation of opening up a child to abuse.

Putrefact piece of shit, like all republicans. Fuck her.

This will only raise the suicide rates and suffering of lgbt youth. How can you possibly be so selfish and shit-headed?

PillarEN

http://konniburton.com/2016/11/sen-konni-burton-statement-on-the-misinformation-campaign-on-sb-242/

Basically because you know info about your student like their attendance and grades that somehow should now extend to gender/sexuality. She states, "Also it is important to note that in existing state law any attempt by a school district employee to encourage or coerce a child to withhold information from the child’s parent is grounds for discipline." Fair enough. But if a student does tell a teacher about their gender/sexuality issues that doesn't mean the teacher has to strictly tell them "do not tell your parents". Teachers can easily guide a student to think for themselves just by having a conversation. So the main premise of this senator falls flat anyway.

lWe2czk.png

This is evil, but I also don't see how it's going to work. If the student doesn't tell their parents and the teacher feigns ignorance if asked then they can't really punish the teacher in any way, can they?

MGrant

Kids call each other gay all the time. Do I, as a teacher, have to take that as probable cause to call their mothers? Or do I have to wait for a student to say, "Hello. I am gay, and I am in the closet." Or do I have to guess, like, "Hey Tommy; ya seem pretty gay. Get your dad on the phone or they'll fire me."

Amazing how they want to penalize teachers.

WTF does any of this have to do with educating and teaching our children?

Teachers aren't really teachers in the US anymore. We're not thought of as experts in our fields, we're not thought to be professionals, we're not thought to have skills in child development or the responsibility to create our own courses tailored to students' needs. What we are to most parents is free daycare, free surveillance systems, and substitute parents. And school administrations aren't exactly fighting these perceptions. Sad but true.

Ac30

I've come to the realization with this election is that 50% of people in the country don't have the same regard for human life and common decency in any way shape or form. Everything the GOP does now just hurts. Stories like this break my heart. I'm a straight white male and it saddens and frustrates and infuriates me, so I can't even fathom how someone being targeted by half the country must feel.

This is the result of the decades of 'fuck you got mine' rhetoric that seems to permeate every facet of American politics. From poverty to sexuality, certain groups seem more than happy to throw everybody under the bus just to get ahead.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kids call each other gay all the time. Do I, as a teacher, have to take that as probable cause to call their mothers? Or do I have to wait for a student to say, "Hello. I am gay, and I am in the closet." Or do I have to guess, like, "Hey Tommy; ya seem pretty gay. Get your dad on the phone or they'll fire me."

"Hello, Mrs. Stevens, this is your son's teacher, MGrant. Robbie was involved in an argument with another student, and, well... I'm required by law to tell you that I believe your son may be a 'gaylord.'"

Sesha

both slides are the same

A lot of people that say that probably don't give a rat's ass about gender and sexual minorities. Not all, but a significant portion.

It's funny how people were once so afraid of Sharia Law creeping into the western world...

Turns out, foreign extremism never needed to do anything.

"Sharia law" is a boogeyman, like the red scare, invoked to produce fear.

Ekai

I didnt mean to be so ambiguous/sarcastic. Republicans are doing evil and I drown in my internal screaming when we are scolded for saying so.

Are we sure we wouldn't mobilize more Democrats with a message of "vote to stop evil"? Are we really sure? Because they call us evil all day and all nite and they get out the vote.

I was agreeing with your mocking of the situation.

I do believe we need to mobilize, yes.

Thanks Drumpf!

*ewwww*

I can only imagine how many kids a bill like this would literally kill.

Our children already have the highest suicide rate in the nation by a ridiculous factor, and yet our loving government continues to do everything it can to make it worse.

Wouldn't this be a HIPAA violation? How else you would know that a child is LGBT if it isn't due to sexual relations and the child contracting an STD.

And when those kids would likely be beaten up or killed, they won't say anything about it.

Between this and the "kids not having a right to literacy" statement, the GOP are some evil motherfuckers.

mr_nexus

Banned
It's none of the teacher's business and it's definitely none of the government's fucking business. These same assholes are always talking about smaller government but they also want to be in everyone's bedrooms and up in women's vaginas. Sick people.

pirata

Can we just kick Texas out of the US?

Why? So the state government can just murder us gay Texans without any federal protections stopping them?

You do know that the majority of Texans who aren't in the countryside or old fascist pieces of shit are against stuff like this? The state is gerrymandered to hell and doesn't really reflect what everyone is like, just like how Trump was elected by a minority of Americans.

Also, Amarillo. My mom's side of the family is from the area. It's awful.

HardRojo

So she wants to harass little kids into a life where they'll be harshly judged by their families and possibly driven to suicide? Fuck this woman!
I mean, considering Trump is going to be president and how fucked up things are likely going to be for minorities, starting a witch hunt on little kids will serve what other purpose exactly?

Why? So the state government can just murder us gay Texans without any federal protections stopping them?

You do know that the majority of Texans who aren't in the countryside or old fascist pieces of shit are against stuff like this? The state is gerrymandered to hell and doesn't really reflect what everyone is like, just like how Trump was elected by a minority of Americans.

Also, Amarillo. My mom's side of the family is from the area. It's awful.

Hell even a solid chunk of rural Texas is against this. North and East Texas continues to give us all a bad name.

pirata

Hell even a solid chunk of rural Texas is against this. North and East Texas continues to give us all a bad name.

Effing A. Fuck kicking Texas out of the union. I'm sick of being chained to East and North Texas. Can you imagine how much better a state South and Central Texas could be (and maybe West Texas but almost nobody lives there so whatever)? Strong economy, socially progressive, majority minority...sigh...

I've only been to Amarillo once and it smelled like shit. I hear Lubbock smells the same. All those cows shitting really stinks up the place

Yup. That's all the confirmation I need. Full of people that said things like "Well, you know, Trump has his pros and cons but I've looked and looked and can't find a single pro for Hillary." It's not all terrible people though. Not sure what this article has to do with Amarillo specifically though, aside from being at the beginning presumably it was written in Amarillo, it looks as though it's a state issue in general. It's a terrible stupid law overall though, I hope it gets struck down.

Effing A. Fuck kicking Texas out of the union. I'm sick of being chained to East and North Texas. Can you imagine how much better a state South and Central Texas could be (and maybe West Texas but almost nobody lives there so whatever)? Strong economy, socially progressive, majority minority...sigh...

And we get all the oil if we keep the desert that is West Texas so we still make all the money the state makes anyway.

Fucking mouthbreathers in North Texas and East Texas (looking at you Tyler) and the like make us all look like hicks and I swear we aren't y'all. For the most part we're great people.

Alienfan

The overall mission of the GOP and social conservatives is to force LGBT people back into hiding and secrecy. Blocking LGBT marriage and adoption discourages alternative family units. Blocking anti-discrimination laws for LGBT allows employers and businesses to pressure people. Bathroom bills are designed to scare trans persons into visibly presenting as their biological birth gender and conservative social norms for appearance.

The GOP yearns for the good old days of 1950s America when LGBT persons "didn't exist" because polite society refused to acknowledge them, and LGBT people generally stayed 100% hidden.

But I still don't see their end goal. Why do they care so much? This question isn't addressed enough

These people honestly need to be put on trial for every suicide that occurs under these hateful acts. They're killing these kids and they don't give a damn. Lock these vermin up for life.

MGrant

Fucking mouthbreathers in North Texas and East Texas (looking at you Tyler) and the like make us all look like hicks and I swear we aren't y'all. For the most part we're great people.

You mean the panhandle (aka Southwest Oklahoma) when you say North Texas, right? We in DFW/Denton are good people, too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom