• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Avatard went to NYU-TSOA.

Where'd you go EricHasNoPull?

Dr.Acula said:
Yeah, horror is totally under-appreciated by critics. Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi got their starts in horror, and they're two of the biggest directors working today. And no one gives any love to John Carpenter, even though if he had dedicated his life to making dramas he would have been nominated several times over.

As did Del Toro, Cameron and Bigelow to name some more.

Also, you are totally correct about Carpenter.

Razorskin

----- ------
Count Dookkake said:
The tribute to horror was a disgrace.

1) The presenters are not stars of a horror film.

2) Many of the clips were not from horror films.

3) Too much repetition from the same movies.

I liked the horror montage but yeah I saw a Twilight clip in there, I mean wtf?

Razorskin said:
I liked the horror montage but yeah I saw a Twilight clip in there, I mean wtf?

Having the Twilight 'actors' as hosts was bad enough, but including clips from it was shameful. If the presence of vampires makes Twilight a horror movie, then I guess Sesame Street is a horror series.

Solo said:
Carpenter makes his return to theatrical horror this year, Dookkake. I cant fucking wait. Halloween is my favorite horror movie ever, and The Thing, In The Mouth of Madness, and the severly underrated Price of Darkness are all up there too.

Yeah, I am really looking forward to that. I caught a DGA screening of Ghosts of Mars just before it came out and while Carpenter was very friendly and polite, he sounded pretty down on the industry. He kept saying things like "filmmaking is a young man's game." I was very pleased with Cigarette Burns (Pro-Life was mostly a'ight) but was worried that we'd only get more of these smaller projects from him.

Oh, and if you love Prince of Darkness, you should definitely check out the Quatermass films.

And Halloween 3.

Solo

Carpenter makes his return to theatrical horror this year, Dookkake. I cant fucking wait. Halloween is my favorite horror movie ever, and The Thing, In The Mouth of Madness, and the severly underrated Price of Darkness are all up there too.

Puddles

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Having the Twilight 'actors' as hosts was bad enough, but including clips from it was shameful. If the presence of vampires makes Twilight a horror movie, then I guess Sesame Street is a horror series.

You're asking me if they've ever done a Sesame Street where the Count kills a man and drinks his blood for sustenance?

No, they've never done that.

Puddles said:
You're asking me if they've ever done a Sesame Street where the Count kills a man and drinks his blood for sustenance?

No, they've never done that.

:lol

Calling Twilight a horror movie is like calling Schindler's List a color movie.

GhaleonEB

Count Dookkake said:
The tribute to horror was a disgrace.

1) The presenters are not stars of a horror film.

2) Many of the clips were not from horror films.

3) Too much repetition from the same movies.
Aye, the entire outreach to younger people at the show was dumb and condescending, of which that was a part. The idea of expanding the nominees to ten films to include stuff like Up and District 9 was to broaden appeal to more popular films, in the hopes that people will tune in and watch them very predictably not win.

The freakish dance number for the musical score section was another one, good heavens that was embarrassing.

Larry King gave the guy who got interupted by that dumb bitch yesterday a chance to finish his speech on the show. So awkward. :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

even CNN cut him off again. Holy fuck.

micster

I was just on another forum and saw this post about the Oscars. I laughed up a lung at how idiotic this guy is.

The only fuckin reason that shitty hurt locker won was to make history for a movie made by a women.

Inglourious basterds is 1000000000000000 times better.
FUCK THE HURT LOCKER FUCK THE ACADEMY AND FUCK THE SHITTYNESS OF THIS DESICION.
How the fuck did that pile of shit win and inglourious basterds won one award,WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS WORLD COMING TO.

Anyway I wish there was at least a highlights show on a non Sky channel over here in England, it'd be nice to actually watch the awards rather than just read the winners

Masaki_

Ceres said:
From Ebert's twitter:

Eh, that just seems unfair to me. I can see how the difficulty of the technical aspect of cinematography is greatly decreased by CG, but creatively? Aesthetic decisions still needed to be made, I imagine even before they had completed the CG world: wouldn't it be far harder to prepare the shots without a set to work with? Is everyone overlooking that or am I missing something?

Not sure how much Mauro Fiore had to do with any of that, though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Masaki_ said:
Eh, that just seems unfair to me. I can see how the difficulty of the technical aspect of cinematography is greatly decreased by CG, but creatively? Aesthetic decisions still needed to be made, I imagine even before they had completed the CG world: wouldn't it be far harder to prepare the shots without a set to work with? Is everyone overlooking that or am I missing something?

Not sure how much Mauro Fiore had to do with any of that, though.

You gotta be kidding. For someone who doesn't know anything, sure it might be easier to frame a real pic than a CG one simply because you don't know shit about lightning, and the fact that the sun is already there helps.

But that's for wedding videos.

Having the limits of working with something you can't control, but still have be able to manipulate in order to create the effect you need, is much harder than having a CG world that can be shot from any angle you want, and tools that allow you to manipulate lightning without having to wait hours and days.

I can't believe some of you keep defending that shit, and try to come up with crazy excuses like "its harder when you don't have a set".

Masaki_

WrikaWrek said:
You gotta be kidding. For someone who doesn't know anything, sure it might be easier to frame a real pic than a CG one simply because you don't know shit about lightning, and the fact that the sun is already there helps.

Having the limits of working with something you can't control, but still have be able to manipulate in order to create the effect you need, is much harder than having a CG world that can be shot from any angle you want, and tools that allow you to manipulate lightning without having to wait hours and days.

I can't believe some of you keep defending that shit, and try to come up with crazy excuses like "its harder when you don't have a set".

Yes, I know. That's why I said:

I said:
I can see how the difficulty of the technical aspect of cinematography is greatly decreased by CG [...]

WrikaWrek said:

If awards were given out for how hard something was to do, The Abyss would be an oscar darling. The fact is that whether it was harder or not is besides the point, it was the best. I also think you're understating the process they used - which is unlike other green screen films. They actually built the simulcam that they had to man and move around the set - they were being fed live images on the fly as well so it was shot like a live-action setup. You also come up with different problems for lighting a film like this. Like what sort of light works on character's whose skin is already bioluminescent and surrounded by a glowing jungle.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Scullibundo said:
If awards were given out for how hard something was to do, The Abyss would be an oscar darling. The fact is that whether it was harder or not is besides the point, it was the best. I also think you're understating the process they used - which is unlike other green screen films. They actually built the simulcam that they had to man and move around the set - they were being fed live images on the fly as well so it was shot like a live-action setup. You also come up with different problems for lighting a film like this. Like what sort of light works on character's whose skin is already bioluminescent and surrounded by a glowing jungle.

Didn't The Abyss win four Oscars?

JGS

Banned
Tobor said:
Exactly. This argument about which movies will be remembered in 20 years is asinine and irrelevant. What was the better movie this year? That's all the Academy members can and should vote on.

It's only irrelevant to the current year Oscars.

I agree that it does not matter a hoot in regards to Oscars. This is why it is irrelevant whether Avatar won or not.

The argument was brought up when the assumption was made that Avatar was going to be forgotten since it was inferior to THL. That is not true. THL may have legs too, which I acknowledged although doubted, but it will have them alongside Avatar.

I think it's pretty important to keep track of the timelessness of certain movies. If not then few people would watch classics we have now. I would be hard pressed to figure out which one of the oft mentioned classics out there were actually Oscar winners in the first place since, in the end, the Academy does not determine what people want to see over and over.

JGS

Banned
This may have been posted, but Entertainment Weekly has their Oscar prediction issue and it was pretty interesting. They were talking about the new voting rules.

However, they always have four Academy members from different segments (Acting, directing, executive, & wirter I think) and 3 out of the four chose Avatar as best picture, with one going to THL.

4 is apparently too small of a sample!:lol

However, I now understand why Avatar was consider a favorite over all the others but possibly THL.

The article about how the votes are tabilated was pretty interesting too.

JGS said:
This may have been posted, but Entertainment Weekly has their Oscar prediction issue and it was pretty interesting. They were talking about the new voting rules.

However, they always have four Academy members from different segments (Acting, directing, executive, & wirter I think) and 3 out of the four chose Avatar as best picture, with one going to THL.

4 is apparently too small of a sample!:lol

However, I now understand why Avatar was consider a favorite over all the others but possibly THL.

The article about how the votes are tabilated was pretty interesting too.
Yet EW themselves picked THL.....

pseudocaesar said:
Im glad Inglourious Basterds won nothing. Im glad Waltz got best supporting actor though

lol wtf

JGS

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Yet EW themselves picked THL.....

Media smarter the Academy members confirmed. I blame the hanging chad.

Actually, that would make sense since I don't think Avatar was on either of their critics top ten. I remember they had a little box explaining why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom