• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN seems really upset CUSA got two bids. Fuck em. Regular season champs of the number 8 rated conference in the country with an RPI in the 30s and they somehow don't deserve to be there? I'm glad they're squirming.

GoldenEye 007 said:
ESPN seems really upset CUSA got two bids. Fuck em. Regular season champs of the number 8 rated conference in the country with an RPI in the 30s and they somehow don't deserve to be there? I'm glad they're squirming.
i dont get the hate either, clemson will take care of uab so it really doesn't matter

also these horrible cg ford truck month commercials have to be intentionally shitty cg right?

Sir Pant

It's really easy for me to make my bracket with the 1 seeds going all the way to the final four....this might be a boring tournament.

I make a bracket every year but I have nobody to compete against, so why not enter the GAF Challenge? Woo!

Of course I don't actually watch any college basketball and most of my picks are based on hunches or gut feelings. Should be fun anyway.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
jakncoke said:
Yeah you'd think we got #1 overall. Does us having a play-in as well mean the committee thought we were #2 strongest?

Pitt is the third #1 ahead of Duke and behind Ohio St and Kansas.

I like Pitt's chances. I think they can beat every team in their region. A Final Four is possible, I think.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
bucknuticus said:
From the other thread:

Anyone know the best way to get Tix? Me and my buddy are going to go to Cleveland because he's a big Cuse fan. Ticket master is showing 237 for all sessions but when I search 2 seats it says no results.

The last time I went to some games, I got some through the university ticket office. There will be some reserved, probably season ticket holders first. The time before that, I scalped some.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
From watching on TV, it always looks like there are thousands of open seats for many March Madness games. Tickets can't be that hard to get, can they?

jakncoke

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Pitt is the third #1 ahead of Duke and behind Ohio St and Kansas.

I like Pitt's chances. I think they can beat every team in their region. A Final Four is possible, I think.

If we dont do anything it'll be another wasted team :/

I'm having a real hard time picking Pitt over Old Dominion in the 2nd round. If they can get through that match I think they are in the Final Four, their bracket is the absolute weakest.

andycapps

Well, UGA got a higher seed than I thought they'd get but I'll take it. They ended up in a rough bracket, but I'm just glad they made the tourney.

8 UNLV - 9 Illinois
8 Michigan - 9 Tennessee

These are the nightmare picks IMO. If these 2 sets of teams played each other 10 times, I'm convinced they'd each win 5.

ToxicAdam

ultron87 said:
Will definitely enter.

The concept of two 12 or two 11 seeds playing a play-in game still makes no sense to me.

Well, normally a "bubble" team would be seeded in this range if they make it. Seeds 13-16 are generally reserved for the really small schools with automatic bids.

Ecce

Neo Member
BYU grad/homer checking in! Named my bracket Ecce for simplicity.

I'll get in on this. Go Cougars, Rise and Shout!

andycapps

GoldenEye 007 said:
Aren't the 5/12 seed games the most dangerous for that 5 seed? At least it always seems like that every year.

I'm not sure about that, but anything can happen in the tourney. I picked an upset in the beginning, but I didn't pick Vandy to get upset. Are they that bad away from home?

HeySeuss

GoldenEye 007 said:
Aren't the 5/12 seed games the most dangerous for that 5 seed? At least it always seems like that every year.
I think its happened at least once in every tournament except 1 if I remember correctly.

andycapps

Shick Brithouse said:
I think its happened at least once in every tournament except 1 if I remember correctly.

The 12 seed winning, or 5/12 in particular? Some of the 4/12 ones are tempting.

Tapiozona said:
You're from Cali but you're a Duke and Syracuse fan. Hmmmm. Bandwagon is stong with this one.
I've never been into NCAAB very much but I've rode the wagon the last few years with each team. Deal with it.

Just did my bracket, this year is so WTF. I did a quick one and basically had all 1 and 2's in, looked into it and changed around some stuff. Got some crazy picks, but we'll see.

HeySeuss

andycapps said:
The 12 seed winning, or 5/12 in particular? Some of the 4/12 ones are tempting.
At least one 12 seed pulls the upset almost every year. At least I think, I'd have to go back and check to be sure.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Outdoor Miner said:
I'm having a real hard time picking Pitt over Old Dominion in the 2nd round. If they can get through that match I think they are in the Final Four, their bracket is the absolute weakest.

Old Dominion is getting a lot of credit for being the best offensive and #7 total rebounding team in the country, yet people seem to be forgetting that Pitt is the #2 offensive and #8 total rebounding team in the country. Rebounding will not win this potential game for ODU because Pitt is just as good on the glass, if not better.

Further, ODU's big men don't outsize Pitt's big men. Gary McGhee, step back jumpers excluded, is one of the best low post defenders in the country. He's bigger and stronger than Frank Hassell (ODU's leading scorer & rebounder). Unless McGhee is in foul trouble (as he was against UConn last week), then Pitt won't have any major problems down low.

It is also worthwhile to note that Pitt put up their numbers in the Big East. ODU plays in the CAA.

I don't see Pitt falling to ODU.

bluemax

Banned
If anyone is interested, sbnation.com is doing a series showing how often each seed wins per round. Sadly doesn't break it down in the later rounds, but it still gives you a good idea of the how far seeds make it on average.

andycapps

bluemax said:
If anyone is interested, sbnation.com is doing a series showing how often each seed wins per round. Sadly doesn't break it down in the later rounds, but it still gives you a good idea of the how far seeds make it on average.

The link
if anyone is interested... It's filled with percentages of success by each seed and some choice commentary like this.

SB Nation. Thanks for sitting down with us.

16th Seed. Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god. Oh. God.

SBN. I'm sorry?

16th. Thank you so much for letting me sit in your chair. I'm so happy. Where did you get this chair?

SBN. I'm not sure.

16th. I am so happy to be sitting in this chair. It's so neat! Gosh. [Stands up and inspects chair.] I bet there's all kinds of neat stuff you could do with this chair! You could play musical chairs with it! Or just sit on it like folks normally do. What is it that people like about sitting so much? Because obviously, you could stand all day if you really wanted to. Thanks again for letting me sit in your chair.

SBN. You're welcome.

16th. Here's a joke I just thought of. What's all this talk about Daylight Savings? I must have lost my daylight coupons in the mail!

SBN. Tell me about your school.

16th. Did you like my joke about time?

SBN. Just tell me about your school.

16th. We have an enrollment of 600 students and we are really expensive for no reason.

SBN. You've never, ever won a basketball game. How do you feel about that?

16th. Oh, goodness. You spend more than a day in a high-falootin' 24-hour megalopolis such as Kansas City or Indianapolis, you're gonna pay for it, buster! It's just so expensive. A Filet-O-Fish costs three dollars! In fact, I was telling my wife, Martha, about the time--

SBN. What's Duke like?

16th. F*** Duke.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Just so everyone knows, the Yahoo tournament pick'em doesn't start until Thursday morning, so the games tonight/tomorrow don't have to be picked. You still have time to enter the challenge. Do it! Do it now! (or when you get home from work) (or better yet, while you're AT work)

andycapps

chuckddd said:
Just so everyone knows, the Yahoo tournament pick'em doesn't start until Thursday morning, so the games tonight/tomorrow don't have to be picked. You still have time to enter the challenge. Do it! Do it now! (or when you get home from work) (or better yet, while you're AT work)

Thanks for the reminder. I went in and did my bracket. Feeling pretty good about my final 4. Always hard to pick which ones of the lower seeds will upset a high ranked team. I've got UConn making the Final 4. May be crazy, but out of the 3 seeds, I like their odds.

Filled it out while working from home

Fjordson

Man, my bracket is seriously lacking some upsets. Not sure where to pick 'em this year, but I know they'll show up. Feel like it's going to blow up my bracket within the first two rounds. Oh well.

Bowser

Invisible_Insane said:

that spoiler doesn't really work, oh well.

Who would have guessed a probability model would spit out all the higher seeds, save for a few first round "upsets" of the 8/9 and 10/7 variety (along with Gonzaga, the lone 10+ seed winning one game)? While the final result might be the same, I doubt the journey will be as chalky as Nate Silver's model puts it.

My firt go had all 1 seeds in the final four. I know it wont happen like that, but im not sure who can beat any of them. At the moment I have Syracuse beating ohio state, but i feel like im doing that just to have the upset.

CriginsMcJuggs said:
My firt go had all 1 seeds in the final four. I know it wont happen like that, but im not sure who can beat any of them. At the moment I have Syracuse beating ohio state, but i feel like im doing that just to have the upset.
If you're going to pick an upset for Osu it won't be cuse, our shooters will tear apart that 2-3 zone.

andycapps

Bowser said:
Who would have guessed a probability model would spit out all the higher seeds, save for a few first round "upsets" of the 8/9 and 10/7 variety (along with Gonzaga, the lone 10+ seed winning one game)? While the final result might be the same, I doubt the journey will be as chalky as Nate Silver's model puts it.

Exactly, he's got all 4 seeds making it to the Final 4. Not gonna happen. I think a 3 seed has a good chance of being one of those 4. The question is which.. Who are the better 3 seeds and who has the easier road to get there?

Dali

Outdoor Miner said:
:lol. The pictures associated with each description are what really had me. I guess I'm the last one, except I'm usually in a better position than that "you" in the where you'll end up. If we ignore the most recent year USA made it in, that is. USA! USA! haha

chuckddd said:
I didn't too much like this when I did my bracket. Why aren't the real 1st round of games being picked, Yahoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom