• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
Balderer is giving the interview.

Don't know about Murray but Fed is not surviving Djokovic.
If it's anything like their London match, Djoker will be in total retriever mode, so Federer will need to survive his own chokes first and foremost. :p

Smellycat

Fantastic match!! Tsonga played some great tennis, especially on those match points, but Federer stayed the course.

It is going to be a tough match against Murray.

Aww yeah, who's ready for a Women's Doubles semifinal match?

*crickets*

Lol yeah.

I mean. I like watching Tennis....but its kind of like Golf for me where I don't watch unless Tiger is doing well.

Now that the Williams sisters are out of singles AND doubles my interest levels have dropped dramatically. I will still tune into the finals for the guys and gals though.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah Fed could never beat Murray and Novak in a slam back to back. Oh wait....Wimbledon 2012.

I said it because he looks tired and this was a fairly fast 5-set match. Though with constant hard hitting to be sure. I just think Djokovic's grinding will be too much.

szaromir

Banned
Completely different situation. Wimbledon rewards serving and attacking play more which suits Federer.
Still, up until quarterfinals everyone was convinced Djokovic would win the title fairly easily.

I want either Murray or Federer to take the title now.

bud23

Still, up until quarterfinals everyone was convinced Djokovic would win the title fairly easily.

I want either Murray or Federer to take the title now.

After today´s games, I would bet for Andy. Nole is not at his best level imo, and Federer/Ferrer have luck to be in the semifinals. Definitely, Murray is my favorite for the title.

After today´s games, I would bet for Andy. Nole is not at his best level imo, and Federer/Ferrer have luck to be in the semifinals. Definitely, Murray is my favorite for the title.

Vegas agrees Murray should beat Fed, but is only a slight fave.

101 Andy Murray -155
102 Roger Federer +135

EDIT: But Joker is a decent fave to win it all.

Globox_82

Banned
I pick rog over Andy. andy will play for the first time a night match. He doesn't have big serve and FH that Tsonga has. His second serve is weak. He starts slow vs fast like how Roger does. He hasn't been tested. Roger served poorly and played bellow his best. Roger takes it in 4 or 5 sets.

WriterGK

Nole had a terrible match against Wawrinka too bad I missed that one. I hope that Ferer beats Nole and Fedexpress beats Murray. And than Federer win the title, would be awesome. I hate to see Novak win this tournament for 3th time in a row. Even if he loses now he still will be number 1 after this.

IISANDERII

ibqdrsyvssykda.gif

Nole had a terrible match against Wawrinka too bad I missed that one. I hope that Ferer beats Nole and Fedexpress beats Murray. And than Federer win the title, would be awesome. I hate to see Novak win this tournament for 3th time in a row. Even if he loses now he still will be number 1 after this.

Watch the replay against Wawrinka...amazing match!

Globox_82

Banned
I hope Ferrer wins everything to troll everyone.

I am Nole fan but I would not mind that. the problem is he can't beat Novak and then Federer or Andy. This is why I hate when favorites go out. Like with Delpo. Chardy sucked Andys ass. You know Delpo would have put a fight. Chardy can't even toss the ball properly.

I want Novak vs Roger final. WTF was great match and their matches are usually brilliant.

szaromir

Banned
I am Nole fan but I would not mind that. the problem is he can't beat Novak and then Federer or Andy. This is why I hate when favorites go out. Like with Delpo. Chardy sucked Andys ass. You know Delpo would have put a fight. Chardy can't even toss the ball properly.

I want Novak vs Roger final. WTF was great match and their matches are usually brilliant.
The match-ups in among the big 4 that aren't good are Nadal-Murray and Nadal-Federer with Rafa slaying those two more often than not.
del Potro might have put up a fight against Andy but he would be very unlikely to win, excellent retrievers are his worst nightmare and H2H against Andy (1-5), Ferrer (2-6), Djokovic (2-7) speak for themselves. Ferrer is also unlike to win against Djokovic in a best of 5 match as he does everything that Novak does except worse.

Globox_82

Banned
The match-ups in among the big 4 that aren't good are Nadal-Murray and Nadal-Federer with Rafa slaying those two more often than not.
del Potro might have put up a fight against Andy but he would be very unlikely to win, excellent retrievers are his worst nightmare and H2H against Andy (1-5), Ferrer (2-6), Djokovic (2-7) speak for themselves. Ferrer is also unlike to win against Djokovic in a best of 5 match as he does everything that Novak does except worse.

that's why I said "put a fight". On everything else I agree.
BTW Ferrer seems to be in a really poor form. He only rested for 2 days durring the offseason and played a ton of tennis. He looks tired to me and worn out. Eurosport commentators seemed to agree. He was lucky to beat Almagro. Last year he was in a better form and Novak beat him in 3...that said Novak was also in better form...I think.

szaromir

Banned
that's why I said "put a fight". On everything else I agree.
BTW Ferrer seems to be in a really poor form. He only rested for 2 days durring the offseason and played a ton of tennis. He looks tired to me and worn out. Eurosport commentators seemed to agree. He was lucky to beat Almagro. Last year he was in a better form and Novak beat him in 3...that said Novak was also in better form...I think.
TBH I only watched one set of Ferrer playing, the first against Almagro. Almagro seemed the better player but probably didn't keep it up.

Tsonga has tipped Murray as the eventual champion. Interesting.

agrajag

Banned

If Delpo is so good, why couldn't he beat Chardy? So tired about hearing about overrated Delpo.

Globox_82

Banned
TBH I only watched one set of Ferrer playing, the first against Almagro. Almagro seemed the better player but probably didn't keep it up.

Tsonga has tipped Murray as the eventual champion. Interesting.

He is a bit bitter maybe. Murray is really strong but like I listed above a lot of things going against him. But he can beat both yes. I think Novak doesn't like to play against Andy. He would rather play roger or Rafa. I still think Roger beats him.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I think Federer will play better than many are expecting. I think his serve % will be much better than it was against Tsonga. Murray could win, but I don't know. He's only taken one set from Fed in three major matches. I know the first two were years ago, but even so, that could weigh on Andy mentally, and if he goes down early, he has a tendency to get down on himself. Fed needs a fast start and to definitely keep his service level up or Murray will punish him.

Globox_82

Banned
Q. Seems like very often in the last four or five years on the men's side it's been the top four seeds getting to the semifinals. Hasn't happened that much on the women's side.
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: In tennis, you know, you cannot lie. You cannot lie. If they are No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 4, it's because they deserve it and because they are the best players at the moment. That's it.

Q. Do you have any sense of why it's not that much on the women's side?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, the girls, they are more unstable emotionally than us. I'm sure everybody will say it's true, even the girls (laughter). No? No, you don't think?
But, I mean, it's just about hormones and all this stuff. We don't have all these bad things, so we are physically in a good shape every time, and you are not. That's it.

Lol Tsonga da truth. What a stupid question.

Globox_82

Banned
I think Federer will play better than many are expecting. I think his serve % will be much better than it was against Tsonga. Murray could win, but I don't know. He's only taken one set from Fed in three major matches. I know the first two were years ago, but even so, that could weigh on Andy mentally, and if he goes down early, he has a tendency to get down on himself. Fed needs a fast start and to definitely keep his service level up or Murray will punish him.

I am no believer of easy draws. Novak had it easy last year at Wimbledon. We know how it ended in SF, while Roger was struggling before their match.

Same for USO. Andy had a lot of problems. Ok was a bit lucky and he slipped Roger and played Berdych on windy day, but he won in the end. While Novak look like dominant force early in the tournament. Easy draws are dangerous imo. You want to be pushed before SF and F.

zero_suit

Yeah, but those loses were before he won a slam. Andy doesn't get down on himself anywhere near as much or pull on his leg when times get tough now.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I am no believer of easy draws. Novak had it easy last year at Wimbledon. We know how it ended in SF, while Roger was struggling before their match.

Same for USO. Andy had a lot of problems. Ok was a bit lucky and he slipped Roger and played Berdych on windy day, but he won in the end. While Novak look like dominant force early in the tournament. Easy draws are dangerous imo. You want to be pushed before SF and F.

Agree with all this completely.

Yeah, but those loses were before he won a slam. Andy doesn't get down on himself anywhere near as much or pull on his leg when times get tough now.

I think it can be just as difficult to win a second slam as a first, and I think that pressure will be on him at some point. There's no guarantee that he'll match expectations, think of all the guys that have only won one slam. It happens (that said, I'd be surprised if Murray didn't win another at some point). I still see the tendency to shrink on occasion (US open against a hobbled Djokovic), and he definitely still has the tendency to yell at himself when he's on the wrong side of a point (the whole swearing into a towel thing). He's definitely better than he was, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did win the whole thing, as this is one of his better majors, but my gut says he'll lose to Roger.

Fucking pissed I missed the Fed/Tsonga matched earlier. I was expecting it to be a straight set, or even 4 set, victory for Federer. I'm glad Tsonga made it tough and forced it to tiebreaks in two sets.

I'm nervous about Andy. History would tell me not to worry and that Andy will choke himself to losing the match. But he's been playing much better. It shall be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom