• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

Nooooo. Amazing fight by Federer, but Murray was simply too consistent and fresher. I guess it is a blessing in disguise, since I don't think there is a chance for him to potentially win 3 5 setters in a row.

Wunder

*legitimately shocked*

WIN THE FINAL, NOVAK!

image.php

TimeInc

Woooo, awesome match, Murray really could've and maybe should've won in straights, or in 4... Great fight from Federer though. Gunna be tough for Andy to beat Novak in the final though.

Kinda deserved from Murray from what I've seen from the 4th set on. Never really felt like Fed had enough in the tank/in his game today to win. Heh Fed tried to make it friendly at the net but Murray had none of that.

szaromir

Banned
I'm a Murray fan so I'm obviously going to root for him regardless, but the hilarity of Andy holding 2 slams and Novak being a slamless #1 would be beyond amazing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Murray played a great match, have to give him credit.

That being said, as a Fed fan, this is another disappointment. Oh well, still played pretty well considering his draw I suppose. Just never really had it all together today, and Murray was too good. Don't really care about the Men's final now, but will be rooting for Li to win the Women's.

TimeInc

I'm a Murray fan so I'm obviously going to root for him regardless, but the hilarity of Andy holding 2 slams and Novak being a slamless #1 would be beyond amazing.

And I love it to happen. Also 3rd consecutive slam final for Murray, great consistency.

Saty

So what did Fed said to Murray at the net in the 4th set?

Federer didn't play that well. Probably combination of a cool night, tiredness and back problems? He dropped his serve horridly to give Murray his last 2 sets.

Globox_82

Banned
I pick andy in the final. I think Novak hates to play him more then anyone, Andy won last GS match and needs to be given credit. 3 GS finals in a row. He is in his magical period that all top 3 had, now is his time. Hope I am wrong but...

szaromir

Banned
You guys think Fed has another Slam in him?
At the time Wimbledon 2012 felt like a bittersweet moment of getting that final major trophy. IDK. He could muster his best to win Wimbledon again, who knows.
Kinda shocking he hasn't won USO since 2008, so he won't win there again anyway.

Still undecided on who I want to win the Men's Final

On the one hand, love Nole

On the other hand, Murray winning would mean he would be halfway there to completing the Slam in a year.

Niraj

You guys think Fed has another Slam in him?

Imo, considering how far this match went when Murray was playing so well and Federer not so well, I'd say yes. It's pretty remarkable this even got to 5 sets. I think he still has it in him, ideally with a helpful draw.

Fantastic match from Murray (at least the bits I saw when I realised it was on TV) got to have Murray as slight favorite for the title, should have at least 2 slams in him this year

qindarka

Banned

On the other hand, Murray winning would mean he would be halfway there to completing the Slam in a year.

He ain't winning the French.

Mind you, winning 2 slams in a row is a tremendous feat and no one in the open era has ever followed up their maiden win with another.

szaromir

Banned

There's no way he ever wins 'Andy slam'. Fed failed to do it, Nadal and Djoker as well and they were much more dominating in their best seasons.

Plus, Nadal* at Roland Garros is the ultimate obstacle preventing that from happening, ever.
*or Djoker or Federer, Andy is mediocre on clay

szaromir

Banned
Did you not see murray at the olympics? His semi final against novak was by far the best I have seen. For me he has been a different player since.
Yeah, he was extremely impressive in that match and Novak wasn't playing below his best IMO. Scoreline was close (75 75) but Murray was getting deep into most Djoker's service games while he himself was holding comfortably.

That match and their AO SF encounter were my favorite matches last year.

TimeInc

Did you not see murray at the olympics? His semi final against novak was by far the best I have seen him. For me he has been a different player since.

Yeah that match was beast, really high quality all the way through.

qindarka

Banned
Yeah, he was extremely impressive in that match and Novak wasn't playing below his best IMO. Scoreline was close (75 75) but Murray was getting deep into most Djoker's service games while he himself was holding comfortably.

That match and their AO SF encounter were my favorite matches last year.

I remember that match quite differently. It seemed like Novak was missing tonnes of breakpoints and only got broken late in both sets.

None of that takes away from his victory of course.

Really hoping that Murray wins final so that this is officially "his time".

Then hope Nadal comes back close to 100 percent for some monster showdowns.

szaromir

Banned
I remember that match quite differently. It seemed like Novak was missing tonnes of breakpoints and only got broken late in both sets.

None of that takes away from his victory of course.
Checked the stats, seems you're right, Andy had to play 87 points on his serve while Novak played 65, so there were a lot more deuces on Andy's serve. Novak didn't convert any of his only 4 break points though, Andy converted 2 of 4.

Niraj

Had fun going through the ups and downs of the match with you all. Time to get a small amount of crappy sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom