• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Did you not see murray at the olympics? His semi final against novak was by far the best I have seen him. For me he has been a different player since.

I was there at Centre Court. Very emotional.

Sunday should be a great tussle.

krYlon

Checked the stats, seems you're right, Andy had to play 87 points on his serve while Novak played 65, so there were a lot more deuces on Andy's serve. Novak didn't convert any of his only 4 break points though, Andy converted 2 of 4.

I guess it shows how good novak is because I remember murray playing out of his skin

Great match, and I think Murray now has that mentality, much like Nadal has, where he can put disappointments like losing close sets and failing to serve out the match behind him and just concentrate on the next point. I also think Federer had expended so much mental and physical energy in chasing the match and getting it to 2 sets all, that he was just spent by the end of the fourth and had very little left to give. Still, impressed just how well Murray played in that fifth set, shades of the US Open Final fifth set. He just never gave Federer a chance.

I'd love Murray to win another slam, but I think Djokovic might prove too strong for him. So, I'm going for Djokovic in four sets. Djokovic had the ideal semi-final opponent in Ferrer, and I think if you asked any of the top three players which top ten player they would like to face in a semi, it would be Ferrer; he's the ideal opponent, he'll give you a decent work-out, but he just can't raise his level like a Tsonga or a Berdych could, and is easily beaten even if you're not firing on all cylinders.

That said, boy, do I miss Nadal, it just hasn't been quite the same without him, and the biggest beneficiary from his absence has been Murray. It'll be interesting to see a match-up between the two in slam after Nadal's injury. Nadal's such a confidence player, mind you, that if he doesn't do well in the clay court season, I can't see him being back to his best until probably next year.

Bigfoot

Just finished wathcing the match on PVR. Congrats Murray. First time he beats Fed in a major so he has to feel good.

Even though I wanted Fed to win, you could just tell he was tired at the end. Age is finally catching up with him and the Tsonga match hit him hard. Andy also played better the entire match and Fed only brought it to 5 sets on pure will power which was pretty impressive. Roger still has fight in him even after already winning 17 slams.

Picking Murray to win the Final. Hopefully he has enough time to recover for it but that was his first 5 set match and he is still young so he should be fine.

Globox_82

Banned
Murray-Djokovic-infographic.jpg

LuuKyK

Congrats to Murray, he deserves the final tbh, nothing against him. Im rooting for Novak though. I will also root for Li Na tomorrow/today/whatever.

Speevy

Banned
I'll root for Murray because he needs more grand slams.

Though after the way Djokovic destroyed Ferrer, I don't see Novak giving away much.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak HAS to be sick of losing to Murray by now. He's 2-0 against him since losing the USO final (finals of Shanghai & round robin of the WTF) so I think he wants to keep it going.

I hope Novak gets it done in 3. Their matches are always pretty shitty, IMO :-/ The U.S. Open final was one of the worst matches I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Globox_82

Banned
Novak HAS to be sick of losing to Murray by now. He's 2-0 against him since losing the USO final (finals of Shanghai & round robin of the WTF) so I think he wants to keep it going.

I hope Novak gets it done in 3. Their matches are always pretty shitty, IMO :-/ The U.S. Open final was one of the worst matches I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

I want Novak to win as well. But in Shangai it was a bit of luck and pure will power of Novak. WTF it was close, Andy breezed through first set, had BP in second. Something happened with Novak after AO last year. He lost most of the big matches he played. Durring USO he was far superior player pre final. Andy risked to go out and played ok. In the final Novak showed no real desire to win, like he didn't want to be there. He didn't perform in RG final either. Wimbledon SF was horrible as well considering how well he played in early rounds.
What am I trying to say is. Novak did play best tennis so far but again finals are finals and he hates playing andy. He hasn't performed well in big matches (most of the 2012) and if he looses 3rd GS final in a row, it will change a lot of things for the rest of the year. Then he risks not to win single one in 2013. It will affect him a lot. He needs this more then andy atm.

So I think it is 50-50 but if Novak can get his mental state from 2011, it could be in 3. I noticed that his girlfriend is not with him this time. Clearly he tries to change something. We shall see. Ajde Nole!

Xun

I maybe going nuts, but didn't you support Murray at one point?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Totally ageee with you about the USO. That was an ugly, ugly match.

Globox_82

Banned
Fan fact. Roger never won two back to back set matches.

We know Novak has.

But what about andy? I can't remember him ever doing that.
maybe that can help Nole

szaromir

Banned

We know Novak has.

maybe that can help Nole
You mean 5 set matches?
Yeah, I hope Andy will beat Novak in straights, no need for marathon grinding to beat some infamous records.

RedAssedApe

Banned

We know Novak has.

maybe that can help Nole

How many actual back to back 5 set matches has he played though? Old school Roger would have a stranglehold on a match if he won the first set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
How many actual back to back 5 set matches has he played though? Old school Roger would have a stranglehold on a match if he won the first set.

Actually last night on ESPN, they said the Tsonga+Murray matches were his first back to back five setters ever.

Bigfoot

Actually last night on ESPN, they said the Tsonga+Murray matches were his first back to back five setters ever.
It's actually pretty impressive that with all Rogers slam matches that was the first time he was brought to 5 sets two matches in a row.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone else feel it is slightly unfair that the men's and women's tournaments receive the same prize money?

MIMIC

Banned
Anyone else feel it is slightly unfair that the men's and women's tournaments receive the same prize money?

I used to think that as well, but you also have to consider the ratings that some of the women get. A Serena or Sharapova match is going to be a bigger draw than some no-name guy. And I suppose that it's fair that they are compensated as such.

But as far as what's done on the court? THAT'S where the argument could be made.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I used to think that as well, but you also have to consider the ratings that some of the women get. A Serena or Sharapova match is going to be a bigger draw than some no-name guy. And I suppose that it's fair that they are compensated as such.

Would there really be more women's matches that draw good ratings opposed to men?
Men occupy more prime time slots in this particular tournament.

Men having to play an extra set was my original thinking though (completely ignoring the quality difference).

I love the looks on both Maria and Vicktoria's faces as they search for a way to beat Li Na.

They thought they knew her.....they were wrong.

and its hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom