• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

cmr-94

Looks like Renault are going to return to Le Mans in the very near future.
They plan to use their 2014 engine in the LMP1 class and will also supply an engine and partner with Signatech in LMP2 class too.

Renault 2014 engine analysis:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/renault-rs34-the-future-of-formula-1/

James Allison concludes “Its going to be scary and exciting at the first test next year, the 2009 changes were a ripple compared to the Tsunami of 2014.”

Hype!

pants

Alright everyone, I got an official ruling. Official thread stays in community.

Thats lame :(

I can understand a general F1 thread being in community, but maybe we can create OT threads for the special races? Monaco, Spa etc

neoanarch

It doesn't make any sense since the F1 thread is completely On Topic and slow unless its a race weekend. Unlike most of the stuff in community which is off topic spam and was always on the front page.

pants

I dont really get the sports threads are community threads thing, makes zero sense to me. I see community as a place with threads that follow a convention like

X happens -- > two weeks later regulars still post in that thread even after the event is old and post less about the even itself but social stuff.

In sport X happens all the time. Imagine if we made new threads for new news in OT with F1 alone we could probably flood the entire OT for weeks on end.

It doesn't make any sense since the F1 thread is completely On Topic and slow unless its a race weekend. Unlike most of the stuff in community which is off topic spam and was always on the front page.

It's slow because it's in here. It was anything but when it was off topic, leading to it being pretty much continuously on the front page all through the season, regardless of it being a race weekend. Which wasn't really helped by people that insist on continually multi-posting for the slightest thing, but that's another issue really. I'm pretty sure that's why it's now here.

I really don't see why people care that much, to be honest.

It's slow because it's in here. It was anything but when it was off topic, leading to it being pretty much continuously on the front page all through the season, regardless of it being a race weekend. Which wasn't really helped by people that insist on continually multi-posting for the slightest thing, but that's another issue really. I'm pretty sure that's why it's now here.

I really don't see why people care that much, to be honest.

More people check OT than community.
The thread gets more exposure.
The thread gets more posters.
We get more lively discussions, instead of having always the same posters.

It's not rocket science.

Adamm

Thats lame :(

I can understand a general F1 thread being in community, but maybe we can create OT threads for the special races? Monaco, Spa etc

We had a US GP thread last year. Are we allowed to do something similar thing this year?

Desavona

Community isn't that bad. At least i can always find the thread instead of digging through OT. Go Webber!

mq1x44d.jpg

Mastah

2 DRS zones on almost all tracks:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bilder/drs-zonen-2013-6741817.html

Fuck this bullshit. I'm very pissed, because we won't see any racing like this or this or this anymore. These morons are doing their best to kill real racing and replace it with cheap entertainment, where every single driver can press stupid button and "overtake" without any skill. And what's worse they remove places when normal racing occured, like many brilliant passes on start/finish straight in Austin :/

Fuck DRS, the day it disappears from F1 will be the best day since reintroducing slick tyres.

aeroslash

I don't think there has been a decision on which fantasy manager we're using. I'm looking forward to playing as well but F1RM is the only one I know/have used so I don't have any proposals on others.

Again, I'm open to suggestions, I'm only really familiar with F1RM.

F1manager.info

I have only used f1RM also, and as far as i know, in the webpage they say they are taking a year off so..we'll have to have a look to something else..

cmr-94

2 DRS zones on almost all tracks:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bilder/drs-zonen-2013-6741817.html

Fuck this bullshit. I'm very pissed, because we won't see any racing like this or this or this anymore. These morons are doing their best to kill real racing and replace it with cheap entertainment, where every single driver can press stupid button and "overtake" without any skill. And what's worse they remove places when normal racing occured, like many brilliant passes on start/finish straight in Austin :/

Fuck DRS, the day it disappears from F1 will be the best day since reintroducing slick tyres.

I agree, but isn't the problem they've got is that because of the limitation of DRS in Qualy this year teams will be more inclined to run with a lower 7th gear. Therefore, in the race DRS would be significantly less effective than last year. They think maybe 2 DRS zones will encourage a slightly higher top speed?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Drivers are being woke up in early morning for drug or doping tests by WADA. Alonso was visited yesterday at 6:42 am

paskowitz

Imagine the scandal if they found some heavy drugs in drivers sample of blood.

Drug Test Administrator: "Mr. Maldonado, it appears you have high levels of crystal meth in your system."

Maldonado: "It wasn't on prupose."

Drug Test Administrator: "Sure... Guess this explains a lot."

Hammer24

Banned
In this quiet before the storm (read: season start), let´s list some minor rule changes for this season some might not yet be aware of:

- onboard camera for lower starting number changes from red to black (higher number stays yellow)
- as the grid changes from 24 to 22 cars, in Q1 and Q2 six (not seven) drivers disqualify
- all mechanics used on changing tyres at pitstop have to wear helmets now
- DRS in qualifying may only be used in the designated DRS zones, and DRS might get officially deactivated due to bad weather
- before the start of qualifying every team has now to inform the FIA about their setup in writing
- teams may now have 60 instead of 47 people working operational
- fuel handling operations got rewritten, more safety precautions
- the intermission between FP1 and FP3 may not be less than 24 hours
- curfew has been changed: now also between Thursday and Friday no work for eight hours, only two exemptions per team per year, but those two exemptions can not be taken on the same weekend
- new gas rules for qualifying: at the end of Q there has to be enough gas in the tank for the FIA to get a sample. Pilots stopping their car on track (to comply with this rule as they are low on gas) will now have the necessary amounts added, they would have needed to finish the lap. The FIA will hand out tables with this calculations for each individual track. Is there not enough gas left according to this tables, the driver will have ALL his q times erased.
- the technical stuff has already been discussed, I think, its just notable that all the Pirelli mixtures got softer for this year (tyres are also heavier, thats why the min weight has been raised from 640 to 642kg)
- oh, just one more thing, the "anti-RBR-front-wing-rule-change": front wings will now be tested on TWO points for bending... (10mm max)

Dave_6

Looks like Renault are going to return to Le Mans in the very near future.
They plan to use their 2014 engine in the LMP1 class and will also supply an engine and partner with Signatech in LMP2 class too.

Renault 2014 engine analysis:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/renault-rs34-the-future-of-formula-1/

Great article and photos. Look at the size of that turbo! I am really anxious to hear these things. Hopefully restricting them to 15K rpm isn't going to affect the 'loudness' of these new engines.

The new regulations have got Honda going full steam ahead for an F1 return too.

Although it has not yet spoken officially about its future plans - beyond that F1 is a possibility – sources insist that it is well-advanced in its return plans having given the green light for a V6 turbo engine months ago.

A McLaren deal from 2015 is on the cards, but there are suggestions from insiders with good knowledge of the situation that the company could even be back as soon as 2014 with another team.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105880

Mclaren link up and no engine for 2014 makes the team almost certainly Marussia.

The cost of watching F1 on Sky in the UK will rise to £510 per season next month:

On April 9th the Sky F1 channel will become part of the Sky Sports package which costs £21 per month on top of a £21.50 per month Sky subscription (excluding offers), with a minimum 12-month contract.

McNish and Clarkson join the BBC coverage.

The cost of watching F1 on Sky in the UK will rise to £510 per season next month:

On April 9th the Sky F1 channel will become part of the Sky Sports package which costs £21 per month on top of a £21.50 per month Sky subscription (excluding offers), with a minimum 12-month contract.

Fair play to the poster who called this a few months back. Sky, you are a massive bunch of cunts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at the Sky price. Glad I get all the races and qualifying on TSN in HD for free (aside from the start satellite fee). No extra coverage though.

Top Bottom