• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Really great win for Young, awesome reaction at the end. It's heartwarming, especially given what you people write about him all year. ;)

What a match between Young and Troicki! I was cheering for Young the whole way. Always great to see players work hard and get some big wins for their efforts. As for Troicki, losing from 2 sets to love up against unfavoured opposition in consecutive Slams has to suck.

Bellucci gave it a real go in the first set, but Murray was in blistering form though - when he's hitting clean winners with his running down the line forehand he's in the mood.

Uzzy

COL4sDpUsAAQhFv.jpg

Way to go Sabine. Comebacks like that are why I love Lisicki's Wild Ride.

sam777

Wake up to see Murray and Lisicki through, that's good. Especially for Lisicki as she rarely ever makes it this far in Grandslam's other than Wimbledon.

szaromir

Banned
What an awful choke by Barbie, can't believe she conceded 5-1 lead in the third to that mug of all players.

Men:
- Top:
1, 9, 18, 19
- Bottom:
2, 3, 5, 6, 12, 13, 15
What a djoke. ATP must have purposefully placed all in-form players in the bottom half.

szaromir

Banned
what purpose would that serve tho? If anything they should push their most popular player (Federer).
Dunno, maybe they want to create the narrative of Djokovic chasing Federer's records down the road, which - looking at the way things are heading - could provide them headlines for the next 4 or 5 years.

sam777

Dunno, maybe they want to create the narrative of Djokovic chasing Federer's records down the road, which - looking at the way things are heading - could provide them headlines for the next 4 or 5 years.
Novak will not win more than 13 Grand Slams imo.

saw this on reddit. tennis players sure do make a lot of money. 5 of the top 15 highest payed athletes in the world are tennis players.

J46oHQa.png

not really sure where the #s come from though. both nadal and li na made a lot under "Sports".

saw this on reddit. tennis players sure do make a lot of money. 5 of the top 15 highest payed athletes in the world are tennis players.

J46oHQa.png

not really sure where the #s come from though. both nadal and li na made a lot under "Sports".

that's 2013, nadal and li na made that in that year in prize money. that part is legit.

szaromir

Banned
Cilic is starting to play nice. Maybe he'll transform from Mugrin Scrublic into GOATlic like last year. I doubt it though, even if he gets to the semis, his brain just freezes when he sees Djokovic's face.

Here's the Forbes list for 2015. Obviously Mayweather and Pacquiao were #1 and #2, with Messi and Ronaldo at #3 and #4, but after that comes Roger Federer and there's a fair few tennis players on the list.

What's interesting is that such a large chunk of tennis earnings come from sponsorships (which is why Sharapova outearns Serena despite being vastly less successful on the court). I would guess that tennis being an individual sport makes its players naturally more marketable than most players in a team sport, even if the team sport is more popular. Sort that list by endorsements, and players like Kei Nishikori and Andy Murray are competing with Neymar and Peyton Manning, even if they get much less in salary/winnings. Tennis having a global audience doesn't hurt there either.

In terms of women's sport, tennis has 7 of the world's top 10 earners. I suspect if more information was available that proportion would not decrease across the top 50 (it might even increase).

The downside for tennis is that since the big money is in sponsorships, the earnings are very top heavy. Once you get down to the players who don't go deep enough in Slams and Masters 1000 events to get the big prize money and sponsorship deals, the earnings can be a bit lean. So even if the very best paid tennis players are some of the richest in the world, the average tennis player will do a lot worse than an average American Football/Basketball/Baseball/Football/Hockey player at a run of the mill club.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, you're not going to be turning a profit unless you're in the ATP top 200, and you don't start getting to consistent money until the top 100. People like James Ward have pretty average earnings, certainly less than a lot of office job people.

Might just be the case that a lot of tennis fans are (like Boxing fans) not all that bothered about the sport but are more into the personalities and stories and such. It might be why you see so many empty seats at big tournaments, people have bought all day tickets but would rather watch Fed or Rafa on the practice courts instead of watching someone else play.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
lol that squirrel

(there was/is a squirrel on the court of the Jankovic-Krunic v Dellacqua-Shvedova doubles match)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Might just be the case that a lot of tennis fans are (like Boxing fans) not all that bothered about the sport but are more into the personalities and stories and such. It might be why you see so many empty seats at big tournaments, people have bought all day tickets but would rather watch Fed or Rafa on the practice courts instead of watching someone else play.

Yup. Explains Genie, Dimitrov, etc. - people want to see the people rather than the sport.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, thought Chardy was playing pretty well in the third. Cilic is going to coast now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it'd be great if venus ended up preventing serena's calendar year grand slam, considering how many times she has lost to her in the finals.

but really, even if venus could win she would probably let serena take the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom