• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
US Open Tennis ‏@usopen 3m3 minutes ago

The forecast calls for intermittent showers, followed by a period of clearing. Once the rain stops, we will dry the courts and begin play.

Hopefully it stops soon

John Dunbar

correct about everything
maybe it would be better if we all just went to sleep. that way at least for one pleasant night #18 is real, even if only in our dreams.

Hoping for a Fed win. Not a massive fan (still more than djokovic) but he's found something fantastic in his game recently and it's a joy to watch.

I get that people like Serena, but ESPN's replayed her loss multiple times already. At least replay the women's final or mens semifinal matches before the mens final.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Eurosport UK ‏@Eurosport_UK 13m13 minutes ago

We are hearing the US Open rain delay could last an hour, but the weather should be clear after that. Fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
no way im staying up for this in gmt +2:00 with a work day tomorrow

hope federer wins, and with that goodnight

Talonz

Well I hope they delay the match till tomorrow if it's just going to continue to rain off and on. It will hurt Roger's game more than Novak's if they have to take breaks in play due to rain.

Faith

30747608.jpg

d+pad

Nice. I wonder how the Slams won would add up. I think Graf would have more if you count the total, especially with Navratilova owning something like 60 Slam titles.

Graf's total would grow by a TON if you did this. Both Evert and Navratilova won 18 Grand Slam singles titles each, after all.

Not that I'm supporting TJ's line of thought here, mind you.

I mean, I appreciate the research you did here, TJ, but I don't really think you can work out who had a harder time winning their respective Grand Slam tourneys by diminishing each of their competitors to "Grand Slam winner" or "not a Grand Slam winner."

Anyway, that wasn't really the point of my comment. I wasn't trying to say "Steffi's path to her calendar year GS was so much tougher than Serena's path to her Serena Slam." What I was trying to do was simply point out that Steffi faced some really good competition on her way to her Golden Slam.

Was Evert past her prime in 1988? Of course, but she was still ranked 3 in the world and wasn't far from her best. Plus, all that really matters about that match (and tournament) is that Steffi won it and it started her on the path to the calendar year GS. Really, coming back to beat Martina in the Wimbledon final that year and her ultimate win over Sabatini in the US Open final are the real highlights of that particular run of Steffi's.

Regardless, maybe we should agree to disagree here. Also, maybe we should agree that both runs--and both women--are unquestionably amazing? That's really the main point to be made here, if you ask me :)

be interesting to see how much Federer tries SABR and whether Djokovic can deal with it. Not seen too much of it but he hasn't won that many points with it correct?

be interesting to see how much Federer tries SABR and whether Djokovic can deal with it. Not seen too much of it but he hasn't won that many points with it correct?

i think it's mostly effective as an intimidation tool you don't want to look stupid getting caught by a SABR and risk the audience going wild for Federer which makes you even more nervous so you try a bit harder on 2nd serve and maybe double fault more.

he's getting in their heads with it. he did win a couple of crucial points but in this tournament he did it mostly when he was fucking around a bit.

it feels like literally every US open men's final is on monday. is there some sort of meteorological fact that the 2nd week in september rains heavily in NYC?

oti

Banned
It's almost midnight here. The Serbian USTA Illuminati are trying to silence Federer's German support!

WACHT AUF HERDENMENSCHEN

Ricker

They are reshowing the Vinci/Williams semi final on TSN...a classic upset already.

Nah,they can stretch this delay another 2 hours before calling quits I think...

I did some (painstaking!) research and I'm 99% sure Martina Hingis became the first player to do a "Double Double" (i.e. win both the Mixed and Women's or Men's Doubles events in consecutive Slams) in the Open Era today. Billie Jean King, I believe was the last person to do it, right before the Open Era began, winning both the Mixed and Women's Doubles at Wimbledon and the US Open in 1967.

Peru

I did some (painstaking!) research and I'm 99% sure Martina Hingis became the first player to do a "Double Double" (i.e. win both the Mixed and Women's or Men's Doubles events in consecutive Slams) in the Open Era today. Billie Jean King, I believe was the last person to do it, right before the Open Era began, winning both the Mixed and Women's Doubles at Wimbledon and the US Open in 1967.

Legend. Best side story narrative this season.

Graf's total would grow by a TON if you did this. Both Evert and Navratilova won 18 Grand Slam singles titles each, after all.

Regardless, maybe we should agree to disagree here. Also, maybe we should agree that both runs--and both women--are unquestionably amazing? That's really the main point to be made here, if you ask me :)

Fair points, unquestionably both are two of the great runs in the sport.

I'll add that most consider the women's field to be deeper in 02/03 than it was in the late 80s.
GS winner was just a relatively quick way to find notches on their way to their GS titles.

I think it's a close call, but I'll take the depth + in prime contenders in 02-03 over 88-89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom