• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
best case scenario is that federer can produce about two and a half sets of quality tennis against djokovic. if he is not up two sets to love by then, he is done. djokovic will grind him into submission after that.

The SABR will prevail

federer-1050-optimized.gif

Peru

Too psyched for Pennetta. Wow, all the individual slam matches I've cheered her on flash before my eyes right now. Elegant soldier on the court. What a bitchin move to make that announcement after your crowning achievement late in your career. Legend status confirmed.

Speevy

Banned
This is what will happen tomorrow.

Federer is winning. He takes the first set 6-4 or something. Then Djokovic starts those crazy gumby returns and starts returning deeper in rallies, causing Federer to take more and more risks. Federer begins spraying errors into the net. Djokovic wins in four. The final set is like 6-1. Book it.

A lot of current tennis fans are completely unaware of some of Graf's accomplishments, though, so I thought I'd share a couple of them here :)

Appreciate your thoughts, Steffi was my favorite women's player growing up.

Your post prompted me to do a little research (warning long post).

Aussie Open 88'
Graf beat def. champ and 4 time GS winner, 25 yr old Hana Mandlikova in the quarters.
Graf beat 18 time GS winner Chris Evert in the final.
Evert was 33 yrs old, she retired in 89. Her last slam win was 86' French.

French Open 88'
Graf beat 18 yr old Gabriela Sabatini in the semis, 1 time GS winner (90' US Open), made 8 GS semis and one GS final.

Wimbledon 88'
Graf beat Mary Joe Fernandez + Pam Shriver on the way to the final, neither won a Slam.
Graf beat 32 yr old Martina Navratilova in the final, 18 time GS winner, defending Wimbledon champ (87'), and won Wimbledon in 90' so she still had some tread.

US Open 88'
Graf had a walkover against Evert in the semis.
Beat Sabatini in the finals.

Olympics 88'
Graf beat Zina Garrison in the semis, who never won a slam but made the Wimbledon final in 90, won the bronze in 88'.
Graf beat Sabatini in the finals.

French Open 02'
Serena beat Vera Zvonareva in the 4th rd, who made two GS finals in her career.
Serena beat 3 time GS winner and def. champ Jennifer Capriati (26 yrs old) in the semis.
Serena beat 7 time GS winner Venus Williams in the final.

Wimbledon 02'
Serena beat 23 yr old, 1 time GS winner Francesca Schiavone in the 2nd rd.
Schiavone finished the year ranked 41 in the WTA rankings.
Schiavone made the US Open quarters in 2003.
Serena beat 7 time GS winner Justine Henin in the semis.
Serena beat def. champion Venus Williams in the finals.

US Open 02'
Serena beat 26 yr. old, 3 time GS winner Lindsay Davenport in the semis.
Serena beat Venus in the final.

In sum -
Graf won 6 matches against GS winners
(Navratilova, Evert, Sabatini x3, Mandlikova)

Serena won 7 matches against GW winners
(Venus x4, Henin, Davenport, Capriati, Schiavone)

Schiavone can't compare to the other names on the list certainly.

Gets even more interesting if you add the next 2 slams.
89 Aussie Open -
Graf beat Sabatini in the semis.
Graf beat Helena Sukova in the finals, never won a Slam but made 4 GS finals.

89 French -
Graf beat 16 yr old Conchita Martinez (won Slam in 94') in quarters
Graf beat 15 yr old Monica Seles, 9 time GS winner, finished 89' ranked 6.
Graf lost to 17 yr old Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the final (4 time GS winner).

03 French -
Serena beat 23 yr old Amelie Mauresmo, 2 time GS winner, in the quarters.
Serena lost to Henin in the semis - hand chicanery.

03 Wimbledon -
Serena beat Dementevia in the 4th rd, won a Gold Medal and made two GS finals in 04.
Serena beat Capriati in the quarters, Henin in the semis, and Venus in the finals.

Graf gets 3 more wins against GS winners (Seles, Sabatini, C. Martinez).
Serena gets 4 more wins against GS winners (Venus, Henin, Capriati, Mauresmo).

Both won 5 out of 6 slams.
Graf notched 9 wins against GS winners.
Serena notched 11 wins against GS winners.

Ultimately, it's a close call, and you can argue it either way, but Serena gets the edge for me since Venus, Henin, Davenport and Capriati were all in their primes.
Evert, for instance, was clearly past her prime at 33 yrs old in 88', she retired in 89'.
The other Graf wins were either prime/close enough to be impressive.

Viridian6

Perhaps it's hard to do in practice, but isn't the obvious thing to do when faced with the SABR to lob the ball over him ala Murray?

darkwing

Federer is winning. He takes the first set 6-4 or something. Then Djokovic starts those crazy gumby returns and starts returning deeper in rallies, causing Federer to take more and more risks. Federer begins spraying errors into the net. Djokovic wins in four. The final set is like 6-1. Book it.

Federror :(

oti

Banned

roger-gif-roger-federer-25160904-500-375.gif

Diamond

Perhaps it's hard to do in practice, but isn't the obvious thing to do when faced with the SABR to lob the ball over him ala Murray?

It can work but the opponent just served, so it requires him to do a very different shot just after, which is not frequent. Plus lobing Roger isn't easy to begin with. The shot itself is new so it takes a lot of guys by surprise.

IISANDERII

Appreciate your thoughts, Steffi was my favorite women's player growing up.

Your post prompted me to do a little research (warning long post).

Aussie Open 88'
Graf beat def. champ and 4 time GS winner, 25 yr old Hana Mandlikova in the quarters.
Graf beat 18 time GS winner Chris Evert in the final.
Evert was 33 yrs old, she retired in 89. Her last slam win was 86' French.

French Open 88'
Graf beat 18 yr old Gabriela Sabatini in the semis, 1 time GS winner (90' US Open), made 8 GS semis and one GS final.

Wimbledon 88'
Graf beat Mary Joe Fernandez + Pam Shriver on the way to the final, neither won a Slam.
Graf beat 32 yr old Martina Navratilova in the final, 18 time GS winner, defending Wimbledon champ (87'), and won Wimbledon in 90' so she still had some tread.

US Open 88'
Graf had a walkover against Evert in the semis.
Beat Sabatini in the finals.

Olympics 88'
Graf beat Zina Garrison in the semis, who never won a slam but made the Wimbledon final in 90, won the bronze in 88'.
Graf beat Sabatini in the finals.

French Open 02'
Serena beat Vera Zvonareva in the 4th rd, who made two GS finals in her career.
Serena beat 3 time GS winner and def. champ Jennifer Capriati (26 yrs old) in the semis.
Serena beat 7 time GS winner Venus Williams in the final.

Wimbledon 02'
Serena beat 23 yr old, 1 time GS winner Francesca Schiavone in the 2nd rd.
Schiavone finished the year ranked 41 in the WTA rankings.
Schiavone made the US Open quarters in 2003.
Serena beat 7 time GS winner Justine Henin in the semis.
Serena beat def. champion Venus Williams in the finals.

US Open 02'
Serena beat 26 yr. old, 3 time GS winner Lindsay Davenport in the semis.
Serena beat Venus in the final.

In sum -
Graf won 6 matches against GS winners
(Navratilova, Evert, Sabatini x3, Mandlikova)

Serena won 7 matches against GW winners
(Venus x4, Henin, Davenport, Capriati, Schiavone)

Schiavone can't compare to the other names on the list certainly.

Gets even more interesting if you add the next 2 slams.
89 Aussie Open -
Graf beat Sabatini in the semis.
Graf beat Helena Sukova in the finals, never won a Slam but made 4 GS finals.

89 French -
Graf beat 16 yr old Conchita Martinez (won Slam in 94') in quarters
Graf beat 15 yr old Monica Seles, 9 time GS winner, finished 89' ranked 6.
Graf lost to 17 yr old Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the final (4 time GS winner).

03 French -
Serena beat 23 yr old Amelie Mauresmo, 2 time GS winner, in the quarters.
Serena lost to Henin in the semis - hand chicanery.

03 Wimbledon -
Serena beat Dementevia in the 4th rd, won a Gold Medal and made two GS finals in 04.
Serena beat Capriati in the quarters, Henin in the semis, and Venus in the finals.

Graf gets 3 more wins against GS winners (Seles, Sabatini, C. Martinez).
Serena gets 4 more wins against GS winners (Venus, Henin, Capriati, Mauresmo).

Both won 5 out of 6 slams.
Graf notched 9 wins against GS winners.
Serena notched 11 wins against GS winners.

Ultimately, it's a close call, and you can argue it either way, but Serena gets the edge for me since Venus, Henin, Davenport and Capriati were all in their primes.
Evert, for instance, was clearly past her prime at 33 yrs old in 88', she retired in 89'.
The other Graf wins were either prime/close enough to be impressive.
Nice. I wonder how the Slams won would add up. I think Graf would have more if you count the total, especially with Navratilova owning something like 60 Slam titles.

Smellycat

Djokovic did exactly that in the Cincinnatti final. He only did it once and that is because the other times he netted the 3rd shot. But you can bet that he will be doing that in the final if he gets a chance to hit a 5th shot.

Anyways, I will be at the final :) lets go Federer

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Djokovic did exactly that in the Cincinnatti final. He only did it once and that is because the other times he netted the 3rd shot. But you can bet that he will be doing that in the final if he gets a chance to hit a 5th shot.

Anyways, I will be at the final :) lets go Federer

Sweet man, hope you have a good time.

I finish night shift about an hour to an hour and a half after the match starts, hoping things are still close at that point. Would love to see fed get 18 but I don't think there is much chance. Hoping for a good match at least.

szaromir

Banned
Wait this starts at 10 PM? There goes my plan to wake up early tomorrow and be productive for once.

Shit, I was convinced it would start at 8pm. And scheduled my day around that. Good thing I can sleep until around 9am tomorrow, but still the final will cut into my sleeping time :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BELIEVE GAF

Novak probably still salty about losing Cincinatti, hope Roger has a plan ready to go, first set could be fireworks

Can anyone tell me why does the US Open use a tie breaker in the decider set, when the other slams don't?
Because tiebreakers are played in the first four sets so it makes sense to play one in the fifth. Many decades ago, tiebreakers didn't exist for any set so you would see scorelines like 10-8, 4-6, 9-7

Talonz

They really need to come up with something so the mens finals doesn't fall on the same day as the first day of the NFL season. They should just have the mens final in the morning if anything.

sam777

They really need to come up with something so the mens finals doesn't fall on the same day as the first day of the NFL season. They should just have the mens final in the morning if anything.

Now the final is on a Sunday they should have it earlier in the day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if Djokovic can do it. He lost so many finals here.

The man who has lost four of five US Open finals versus the man who hasn't been here in five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom