• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

No idea what all you people are talking about

mahlN48.jpg

d+pad

Really?
Serena's first Serena Slam in 2002 - 2003 remains the greatest feat in women's tennis, even better than Graf's 88 Golden Slam.

Reason being, 02-03 was the most loaded the women's game has ever been.

Look who was around then -
Prime - Venus, Davenport, Capriati, Hingis
Emerging prime - Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo
Past prime - Seles
Dementevia was a top 10 player in 03.
Sharapova and Kuznetsova were a year away from winning their first slams.

Serena won 4 slams in a row, and 5 out of 6 total from 02-03.
Hell, it could've been 6 straight slams if not for Henin's hand lying chicanery in the 03 French Open semifinal.

Point being, Serena dominated the sport at a time when it was the best it's ever been.

Nevermind she's got the greatest serve ever, far better backhand than Graf, and superior clutchness (despite today).
Forehand and movement - both are great.

Serena will still go down as the GOAT

I know I'm late to commenting on this, but I can't help myself.

I have a hard time seeing anyone but hardcore Serena fans saying with a straight face that Serena's first "Serena Slam" (snicker) was more impressive than Graf's '88 Golden Slam.

Is it mighty impressive that Serena has twice won four Grand Slam tourneys in a row? No doubt. Are either of those achievements more impressive than Graf's calendar year GS? Not in my mind. As we just saw w/ Serena's nervy loss to Vinci, winning four in a row during the same year/season is pretty much the toughest ask in tennis. I don't think anyone would question that.

Hell, even ice-cold Graf now admits that she was freaking out internally during the US Open in 1988--not that you could tell by looking at her, of course. I mean, the lady celebrated winning a calendar year GS by lightly pumping her fist. To outsiders, it looked like she'd won her first match at the Cinci tournament or something.

Also, just putting this out there to "combat" (not really) the text above that suggests the competition during Serena's first "Serena Slam" was unbelievable. During her '88 campaign, Graf beat Evert (one of the best ever) in the Aussie final, Navratilova (also one of the best ever) in the Wimbledon final and Sabatini (the only woman to have beaten her to that point in the year, and she had done it twice--and on hard courts, no less) in the US final.

Sure, you could say she had a "powder puff" in the French final, but considering she brushed poor Zvereva aside in the most brutal women's GS final ever (6-0, 6-0 in 30 minutes), I think you could forgive her for that.

I don't bring all of this up to say"nyah nyah, Graf's the GOAT and Serena's not." I think both women are/were amazing tennis players and athletes and should be embraced for those and other characteristics. The same goes for Evert, Navratilova and even that nutty homophobe Court.

A lot of current tennis fans are completely unaware of some of Graf's accomplishments, though, so I thought I'd share a couple of them here :)

Sorry for the distraction. With that, good luck to the two amazing women competing in today's US Open final. My heart is with Vinci due to her courageous play yesterday, but Pennetta is so damn sweet, and such a tough player, that I'll be perfectly happy if she's the one who wins...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping Vinci wins, it would be one of the most ridiculous fairy tale stories in tennis.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
fuck this

literally every time I;ve said i want someone to win this us open they immediately start losing

some weird voodoo curse going on

c'mon pennetta!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Expected Pennetta to win, but Vinci is keeping it close at least. Maybe she can grab the second.

SSPssp

fuck this

literally every time I;ve said i want someone to win this us open they immediately start losing

some weird voodoo curse going on

c'mon pennetta!

Lol, we'll see if it works. But yeah, I thought this was going to go the other way.

oti

Banned
Pennetta winning the US Open is basically that bad Wimbledon movie with Kirsten Dunst.

She'll finish the season she just said on Eurosport.

d+pad

Well, I was rooting for Vinci, but I'm still beyond happy for Flavia. Both women are such class acts that I can't imagine disliking either of them.

And what about that embrace at the net and banter afterwards? How cool that Vinci could lose the match and still smile and have fun with her longtime pal.

Other than that, I'm sad that Flavia's going to retire at the end of the year, but I can understand it. Apparently she's considered it a few times before, so clearly it's been on her mind. Plus, what can she ever do to top this?

Anyway, hopefully she still makes the year-end finals and has some fun there :)

As for tomorrow, I'm rooting for Fed, no question. I wonder if he'll retire if he wins, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom