• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Djokovic.

Despite a very disappointing result, that was a fairly enjoyable match (aside from those wasted BP's), which slightly redeemed the otherwise dull and uneventful tournament.

SSPssp

Crowd roots for the underdog. Djokovic is No. 1. That's just never going to happen.

This. The only way that wouldn't happen is if it were an American #1 but we don't have those anymore.

This doesn't apply to the jerks who clap faults though, they're just assholes.

oti

Banned
If Federer had destroyed Djoker in the first two sets they would have cheered for the Djoker more. That's just how it is.

I also like how they're trotting out a bazillion American flags like we wouldn't already know that the US open take place in the US.

Has Novak peaked? Can he have a better 2016? Does he start declining? Guys are staying real fit and 30 year olds are doing incredibly well now. If Roger can hold onto his current play, he can still win another slam, but things really have to go his way. Really interested to see Djokovic's trajectory.

This is really the only thing I don't like about the US Open crowd. Maybe cause I've been a Djokovic fan forever, but the crowd is never with him and there's no reason for it. Doesn't matter who he's playing.
Been a fan since the us open 2007 and yup, he never gets his respect. Maybe one day:/

Djokovic winning at life; beautiful wife, a new kid and another another grand slam. Hopefully he'll get a French soon and it's gonna be interesting to see how many slams he'll end up with.

Has Novak peaked? Can he have a better 2016? Does he start declining? Guys are staying real fit and 30 year olds are doing incredibly well now. If Roger can hold onto his current play, he can still win another slam, but things really have to go his way. Really interested to see Djokovic's trajectory.

Djokovic has incredible fitness and has been relatively healthy throughout (unlike Nadal). His play style should allow him to carry on, I believe.

I predict a very strong 2016-17 for him and thereafter a slight decline.

If all goes well, he should definitely tie Nadal in GS by 2017.

federer actually played quite well in the second and third sets, and had moments of brilliance in the 4th.

but the break point conversion, just shameful.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looks like #18 may never happen.

Sad. After Pennetta's fairytale ending yesterday, iy would have been nice to see just 1 more before he rode into the sunset.

Not saying that he should retire or is even thinking about it, but it would have been nice.

Roger gets way too tight in slam finals now. We saw it during 2014 Wimbledon and we saw it today. He only plays well when he's about to lose.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Fed is the favorite every where. What's the big deal. This is the atmosphere at the us open and it has its own unique feel.

I prefer heel djoker tho. Us crowd has softened on him a bit but for awhile he didn't get any love because of the 2008 incident with roddick. Now his interviews are just as boring as Rogers. Dunno why Becker is always trying to stir up shit. Mind games I guess. Djoker doesn't have to get his hands dirty with him in his camp. Lol

Ogimachi

Awful crowd indeed, but I don't think it bothers Djokovic anymore.

Looks like #18 may never happen.

Sad. After Pennetta's fairytale ending yesterday, iy would have been nice to see just 1 more before he rode into the sunset.

Not saying that he should retire or is even thinking about it, but it would have been nice.
Maybe if Djokovic doesn't make it to the Wimbledon final. That's probably his best shot right now.

How in the flying fuck did you get that from his post? Wow, lol.

Oh please. The implication of that post was fairly clear.

Serena was on the verge of the CYGS, yet doesn't deserve attention.... while it should have been given to Novak, who was not going for the CYGS?

Pretty damn clear to me.

I don't get how cheering for someone makes the crowd terrible. There is always going to be a favorite and it does not have to be the better player. I think Federer's career is more inspiring right now to the average fan. He's well past the say fresh date at 34. It kind of makes everyone feel better when someone who should be announcing their retirement wins big. Plus, people have this about being "at the last Grand Slam Roger Federer won" or any other living, and still playing, legend. That's a historic match. Everyone expects Djokovic to win quite a few more. People will absolutely root for Djokovic when he's past his prime and aiming for the big games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't get how cheering for someone makes the crowd terrible. There is always going to be a favorite and it does not have to be the better player. I think Federer's career is more inspiring right now to the average fan. He's well past the say fresh date at 34. It kind of makes everyone feel better when someone who should be announcing their retirement wins big. Plus, people have this about being "at the last Grand Slam Roger Federer won" or any other living, and still playing, legend. That's a historic match. Everyone expects Djokovic to win quite a few more. People will absolutely root for Djokovic when he's past his prime and aiming for the big games.

Americans are terrible or something. :)

Did you miss how the crowd was repeatedly going nuts when Djokovic hit a fault to the point where the umpire had to keep telling them to be quiet? That stuff is more disgusting than Fed's BP conversion rate =P

Bigfoot

Djokovic will never be as loved as Federer. Fed is by far the most popular tennis player ever and gets cheered no matter where he plays around the world.

ZoddGutts

Federer played scrubs in his prime (pre-Nadal 2008) and racked up 10+ GS.

Yeah, remember it being pretty boring time in that era. No real competition at the male side of tennis, also wasn't female tennis pretty popular back then because it was more exciting to watch?

Yeah, remember it being pretty boring time in that era. No real competition at the male side of tennis, also wasn't female tennis pretty popular back then because it was more exciting to watch?

Same era, women's tennis had Serena, Venus, Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Mauresmo and the occasional Russian (Safina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, etc.)

MIMIC

Banned
Novak ^_^

Just like Wimbledon, Djokovic had to send a vile crowd home in tears. Novak, you had one job and you did it. Congrats.

CO1RKSAXAAA-NAa.png

10th career Major title
3rd Major of 2015
2nd U.S. Open title
2nd season winning 3 Major titles (2011, 2015)
55th singles title
Set's all-time ranking points record (16,145 points)

Oh please. The implication of that post was fairly clear.

Serena was on the verge of the CYGS, yet doesn't deserve attention.... while it should have been given to Novak, who was not going for the CYGS?

Pretty damn clear to me.
I'm not gonna say you're not right as it could have very well been the source of guff in that post, but that post was pretty damn vague.

Personally I want more Serena love everywhere. Even on GAF most of the talk surrounding her is downright embarassing.

sam777

So after a short sleep, I awake to see no surprises. Federer missing all them break points in the 3rd was key in the end.

RedAssedApe

Banned
And based on your articulate survey that you conducted during the match, how many of these people made up the entirety of tonight's audience? making vague generalizations about the crowd without a shred of support who was cheering or jeering for this reason or that is fucking weird and pointless. That's not what tennis about. Who cares? Shit like that could go for either player.

People acting like they've never seen a us open crowd before or crowds in general rallying behind a player because they want a match to go 5 sets.

Even the yelling by one person during serves is pretty typical for a tennis match.

Congrats Novak! :D

The crowd was acting pretty lame at times. Totally takes you out of the game. I don't like this trend.

You guys must fucking hate other sports if you're so disgusted by fans revelling in the mistakes of their favourite's opponent
It's part of the reason why I don't watch many other sports honestly. My dad had a bad experience at a football game with some people simply because he wasn't cheering for the home team, and that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom