• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
my dark voodoo curse harnessed for good this time

'grats Nole

John Dunbar

correct about everything
what a disgusting thing to wake up to. i have to watch the highlights of the french open final again to wash away this layer of filth.

sam777

You guys must fucking hate other sports if you're so disgusted by fans revelling in the mistakes of their favourite's opponent

Tennis is different though. You can cheer for who you want to win fair enough but it is shit when the crowd cheers every missed first serve and double fault.

leng jai

How Federer managed to lose that third set will go down as one of the biggest mysteries in world sport. How someone with his pedigree can be so dreadful on break points is perplexing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How Federer managed to lose that third set will go down as one of the biggest mysteries in world sport. How someone with his pedigree can be so dreadful on break points is perplexing.

He's a mentally weak player. He doesn't win close matches - look at his winning percentage in deciding sets against Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic - it's 5-17.

leng jai

He probably has the worst break point conversion rate of all time. The fact that he was so much better than everyone in his peak masked some of his mental deficiencies since he wasn't in a position to choke that often.

Grep

Banned
It's a bit hard to predict Djoker GS limit now. I really thought that he will loose this, but guy is the mental giant.

I absolutely disgusted this morning. That third set.....those break points. He was like Jeb Bush delivering a book report on break points yesterday. Just abysmal.

WriterGK

I haven't seen it, went to sleep after waiting 2 extra hours and it haven't even started yet.
Yeah I have seen a lot of Tennis on TV but screaming/applauding or interrupting while service is absolutely not done. That isn't just normal in Tennis, never was en never will be. You have to be absolutely silent during the service. I can understand that during the rally people oeh ahh and cheer or clap before a point is over but to scream during one's service is bad.

sam777

It's a bit hard to predict Djoker GS limit now. I really thought that he will loose this, but guy is the mental giant.

True, although from watching the match Fed really should have won 2 sets there. Plus that first set I think Fed mentally was still in the locker room.

Anyway last slam is over, can't wait for the WTF in November plus a couple of masters and the GB's Davis cup match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Probably one of the worst slams in terms of quality in a while. The final was weird - Federer was probably the better player for large stretches but just kept choking. Both semi-finals were wipe-outs including the WOAT semi-final performance by Cilic. None of the QFs were particularly close except Cilic-Tsonga and that was a very low quality match from both players. Anderson-Murray and Fognini-Nadal were both very exciting quality matches... but that gets overshadowed given the stinkers Anderson and Fognini put in afterwards. My favourite match was probably R1's Paire-Nishikori, and to have the most entertaining match of the tournament be in R1 is not really a great accomplishment.

Carl2291

The better player on the day lost due to silly mistakes. That said, Novak deserves it for holding his nerve and not buckling under pressure when it matters.

It's amazing that someone with the career of Federer, the best of all time, can crumble on points that really matter.

scarlet

He's a mentally weak player. He doesn't win close matches - look at his winning percentage in deciding sets against Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic - it's 5-17.

This, you can totally predict when Fed's gonna lose, dude ain't resilient.

When it comes to Nole or Serena, you can't say that they are done when they are down, they are mentally tougher.

Pretty sure Nole could end up with more than 15 slams with Rafa's declining, and Fed's aging, Murray being Murray and the youngsters are useless.

MrS

Banned
Do any of you think that Fed is diminishing his reputation with all of these defeats in slam finals? Should he call it a day?

scarlet

Do any of you think that Fed is diminishing his reputation with all of these defeats in slam finals? Should he call it a day?

He loves the sport, he loves playing tennis, he's still no 2, he still has the most slam? Why should he call it a day?

More slam finals only boosts your reputation. At the end of the day, people are going to see all the slams Federer won and all the finals he made before looking at his H2H with Djokovic. Besides, Federer is enjoying his tennis more than ever and his family loves traveling around the world with him.

MrS

Banned
More slam finals only boosts your reputation. At the end of the day, people are going to see all the slams Federer won and all the finals he made before looking at his H2H with Djokovic. Besides, Federer is enjoying his tennis more than ever and his family loves traveling around the world with him.
I want to see him continue but he just can't seem to get it done any more when it matters. His slam final record is 17 wins, which is obviously very good, but 10 losses. Should the GOAT be losing all of these big games?

He loves the sport, he loves playing tennis, he's still no 2, he still has the most slam? Why should he call it a day?
It ties in to the first question, which you ignored.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You have to feel sorry for Murray by those ELO ratings. 9th best player of all time... 2 slams. I do find ELO a pretty good way of comparing GOATness, given that it accounts for strength of competition. There are probably better formulae at doing it (like Glicko-2), but ELO works well, especially in a sport like tennis where there's not much chance for point inflation because of the degrees of segregation between the top players and the bottom of the field. The ELO GOAT list looks pretty plausible to me.

Faith

Congratulations to Djokovic for his 10th GS title, this one probably the most toughest to win. I have never seen a crowd so bositeriously one sided in a slam final than last night. I think that really hurt Djokovic, he was holding back his tears, because the reality of it was never more obvious. He will never get the love that Roger has, he wasn't even close to getting a 10th of it last night. No one wanted him to win, he must have felt like the most loneliest man in NYC during that match. Even he stated that Roger is greatest of all time during his speech, and I do feel by that, he doesn't just mean by what Roger has done on the court, but the way he is in the heart of everyone who follows tennis, something that no other player can do to same magnitude, not Rafa, not Novak, not anyone else. There can never be another Roger Federer, and this goes beyond titles, way beyond titles. A haunting image of Djokovic facing and accepting this in front of all those people that wanted his blood out there.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/inde...ic-1-vs-federer-2.543613/page-84#post-9656033
Exactly this guys.

scarlet

I want to see him continue but he just can't seem to get it done any more when it matters. His slam final record is 17 wins, which is obviously very good, but 10 losses. Should the GOAT be losing all of these big games?

So he should pull a Bartoli or Penetta?

Do you expect a GOAT should win all the time and never lose? Especially at his age?

For him this sport is more than just a win or lose, he loves it.

mwg1Tme.png

It ties in to the first question, which you ignored.

Cuz for me it doesn't diminish him.

MrS

Banned
So he should pull a Bartoli or Penetta?

Do you expect a GOAT should win all the time and never lose? Especially at his age?

For him this sport is more than just a win or lose, he loves it.

Cuz for me it doesn't diminish him.
I do think these defeats diminish him but I want him to keep playing because I hope that one day he'll win another slam. I'm not convinced that he wouldn't pull a Penetta, especially if he could get another win at Wimbledon.

I think people will look at Federer's slam final records VS Nadal and Djokovic and accept that when he went against his two biggest rivals, he couldn't get it done - that's the reality. If you follow tennis, which I presume you do, you know that classic rivalries are remembered and brought up a lot by fans, media and commentators.

It's really up to Roger, and if he wants to continue, he'll continue. Roger's more prone to being upset early in tournaments now that he's 34, but even then he's made the last two slam finals and could possibly have done better in Australia if he hadn't suffered from a swollen finger. Besides, he only really has trouble with Djokovic right now and has seemingly outlasted Nadal and Murray. If Roger keeps putting himself in contention for big titles, he'll eventually win one. With wins come losses. 18 wins and 13 losses is much better than 17 wins and 10 losses.

Roger isn't really playing for the statistics anymore. He's playing because he truly enjoys playing professional tennis at the highest level. As a fan, I'm happy that I can still watch him play, and that he's still innovating with his game.

I think people will look at Federer's slam final records VS Nadal and Djokovic and accept that when he went against his two biggest rivals, he couldn't get it done - that's the reality. If you follow tennis, which I presume you do, you know that classic rivalries are remembered and brought up a lot by fans, media and commentators.

The average person in the future probably won't know about head to head details between the big 3. I mean, how many people nowadays know the grand slam head to head between McEnroe and Borg for instance?

For tennis fans who will know these details, they would probably then also know that the majority of Federer-Djokovic finals took place after Federer turned 32. They'd also see that the Federer-Djokovic head to head is very close and that Roger led it by a large margin for most of their careers. Also, we've known about Roger's head to head deficit with Nadal for years. That still doesn't diminish the fact that he's won a large amount of titles and leads Nadal at three of the four slams in titles.

Dommo

Getting to a GS final without dropping a set as a 34 year old shouldn't diminish anyone's reputation. That's a massive feat and I think this twilight period for Federer has only put an exclamation mark on his career. Even five years ago, there were whispers that Federer's on the decline and he should pack his bags before he starts to rot.

His ability to bounce back at his age, reinvent himself and springboard into two GS finals this year - his only real threat being Djokovic is staggering to me. I find it almost as impressive as the first half of his career. Obviously another GS would be impressive, but as long as Federer retains this form and these results, it only strengthens the idea that this guy is a really special player.

oti

Banned
It's sad the Federer lost but just look at the stats. You shouldn't win a GS final with all those missed opportunities. Djokovic was better and that's it.

Also, cheering for service faults is totally not cool.

Probably one of the worst slams in terms of quality in a while. The final was weird - Federer was probably the better player for large stretches but just kept choking. Both semi-finals were wipe-outs including the WOAT semi-final performance by Cilic. None of the QFs were particularly close except Cilic-Tsonga and that was a very low quality match from both players. Anderson-Murray and Fognini-Nadal were both very exciting quality matches... but that gets overshadowed given the stinkers Anderson and Fognini put in afterwards. My favourite match was probably R1's Paire-Nishikori, and to have the most entertaining match of the tournament be in R1 is not really a great accomplishment.

Pretty much agree with you here. On the women's side the stand out matches were Halep/Azarenka in terms of quality, and Vinci/Williams in terms of drama, and both of the winners failed to capitalise on their wins to take their first Grand Slam, putting in much weaker performances in the next round, and letting Pennetta win fairly easily. So many seeds fell early on the women's side too. On the bright side, Konta and Muguruza's round 2 match was one of the highest quality in the tournament and could signal good news for both players.

He is 34 years old an is still making grand slam finals and is still quite competitive. He is still number 2 in the world after all this time. I don't see how anyone can stretch that as tarnishing his record. If anything it discredits the argument that he only did as good ad he did because of his opposition. Here he is all these years later and he is still competitive.

Let's not forget that Novak is essentially in his prime whilst fed is in the twilight of his career. As much as I want to see number 18 what he is achieving now is remarkable.

I also think that sort of nonsense discredits what Novak has achieved. He will go down as one of the all time greats and rightfully so. Losing to him in a GS final in the prime of his career (and actually going close) is nothing to be ashamed of.

MrS

Banned
He is 34 years old an is still making grand slam finals and is still quite competitive. He is still number 2 in the world after all this time. I don't see how anyone can stretch that as tarnishing his record. If anything it discredits the argument that he only did as good ad he did because of his opposition. Here he is all these years later and he is still competitive.

Let's not forget that Novak is essentially in his prime whilst fed is in the twilight of his career. As much as I want to see number 18 what he is achieving now is remarkable.

I also think that sort of nonsense discredits what Novak has achieved. He will go down as one of the all time greats and rightfully so. Losing to him in a GS final in the prime of his career (and actually going close) is nothing to be ashamed of.
Nobody is taking anything away from Novak. The question was simply 'Is Federer's inability to win in slam finals diminishing his reputation?'. How you read that as a slight against Novak is beyond me.

milanbaros

Member?

Yes!

There is just no way for Federer to tarnish his reputation now unless he stops trying and/or behaves in a bad way.

People seem to forget just how old he is in tennis terms. Reaching grand slam finals at 34 supports his legacy not tarnishes.

I think if he was 24 and losing all his finals then you would have a point but not at his age.

edit: I hope he continues playing for as long as he can and wants to, even when he stops making finals.

sam777

I hope in these 5 months before Aus Open Nadal starts to use different tactics to shorten his service games. Bad year for him, hopefully he comes back stronger.

Murray is like a conundrum he plays well sometimes and really crap at others.

The abiding memory of late-era Federer will be that he was utterly destroying the field and even raised his game past Murray's to take himself back to #2 in the world when it looked certain he was beginning to drop, even if best of 5 against Djokovic (likely to go down as a top 4 all-time player, possibly top 2) was just a little too far.

No chance.

These slam finals at the age of 34 is emphasing why he is the greatest.

I still think he can win another one especially with the focus being on Olympics next year. Djokovic won't win everything. If Nadal can return to his form. Del Potro stops having wrist problems and returns too. Hopefully Soderling also too. Its a shame what has happened to him.

As for Djokovic, I don't think he's had his best years in terms of performance but the guy has ended up with three slams. I thought he was miles better in 2011. Would be amazing if he could get around to 14 slams. It would basically confirm that we had 3 of the greatest in one era.

No chance.

These slam finals at the age of 34 is emphasing why he is the greatest.

I still think he can win another one especially with the focus being on Olympics next year. Djokovic won't win everything. If Nadal can return to his form. Del Potro stops having wrist problems and returns too. Hopefully Soderling also too. Its a shame what has happened to him.

As for Djokovic, I don't think he's had his best years in terms of performance but the guy has ended up with three slams. I thought he was miles better in 2011. Would be amazing if he could get around to 14 slams. It would basically confirm that we had 3 of the greatest in one era.
Soderling is serving a silent ban. He's not coming back.

Soderling is serving a silent ban. He's not coming back.

Ban for four years?

And if he was they would never let him be a tournament director.

These silent bans rumours always come up when someone is injured. Happened with Nadal various times. I suppose Ancic is another on a silent ban too!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Ban for four years?

And if he was they would never let him be a tournament director.

These silent bans rumours always come up when someone is injured. Happened with Nadal various times. I suppose Ancic is another on a silent ban too!

the most silent of bans is del potro, though. they banned him to prevent the age of del potro.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the fact cilic is still playing is pretty evident of the fact the atp gives no shits about drugs and wouldn't ban someone no matter what they were on

he literally failed a drugs test in munich and nothing of any seriousness was done

Nobody is taking anything away from Novak. The question was simply 'Is Federer's inability to win in slam finals diminishing his reputation?'. How you read that as a slight against Novak is beyond me.

I explained why I think it's actually improving his reputation rather than tarnishing it. I also explained how that doesn't give enough credit to Novak. He may well go down as a top 2 player of all time and he is currently in his prime. Losing to him in 4 sets at the age of 34 is a damn good achievement.

These results do make me question how strong Fed is relative to the All Time Greats in mental toughness + clutchness.

Fed was really clutch against Rafa in 08' Wimby final in that 4th set tiebreaker, despite losing the match, the man was amazing.
Also quite clutch against Roddick the next year, though he owned Roddick so much I suppose he felt supreme confidence that there's no way he'd lose.

But being dominated by Rafa since 2008, crying after the 2009 Aussie Open final, getting tight on big points against Djokovic as Djoker has hit his prime the past 5 years, interesting stuff.

He was so dominant and invincible from 05-07 (outside of lights out Safin in Australia and Rafa on RG) that to his credit, never really faced that many pressure packed moments.

Makes me think Pete beats Fed peak for peak at Wimbledon (with the faster grass).
Slower grass, perhaps Fed gets an edge, but man could Pete hit some clutch 2nd serve aces when he needed to.
(yes I'm aware Fed beat Pete in their only match in 01 Wimbledon).

Also think on the fastest hard courts, Pete would have an edge.

Lastly, wonder what would have happened in the 05' US Open final had Agassi found a way to win that 3rd set.
Agassi was up a break 4-2, ended up losing the 3rd set in a tiebreaker.
Fed eviscerated him in the 4th, but if Agassi had held on and won that 3rd set, and the match had gone to a 5th set......
Could have been a Steffi/Hingis 99' French moment (wish fulfillment perhaps on my part as a die hard Agassi fan but let me have this alternate universe pontification).

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
if novak keep up this level for another 4 years he could catch up to federer's 17 GS titles, remember that at the moment theres no one that can give the guy a good fight on GS, if nadal doesn't recover the level he had we're in for a long novak era

MIMIC

Banned
So after Doha, Novak has made at least the finals of every single tournament he has entered

QF - Doha
F - AUSTRALIAN OPEN (won)
F - Dubai
F - Indian Wells (won)
F - Miami (won)
F - Monte Carlo (won)
F - Rome (won)
F - ROLAND GARROS
F - WIMBLEDON (won)
F - Montreal
F - Cincinnati
F - U.S. OPEN (won)

Also, Federer is also on a finals streak, too (Halle, Wimbledon, Cincy, & the U.S. Open)

if novak keep up this level for another 4 years he could catch up to federer's 17 GS titles, remember that at the moment theres no one that can give the guy a good fight on GS, if nadal doesn't recover the level he had we're in for a long novak era

He needs to get closer to Nadal before we start talking about Fed. Sampras/Nadal is definitely within reach though.

People don't like Novak Djokovic cuz watching him play is boring as fuck.

I wish Nadal was still alive. Not even that big of a fan but he always brought the best out of everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom