• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Tengoku-hen |OT| 7 Years, 4 Systems, 100% Burning Spirit

Thanks for clearing that up for me Shouta. :)

With Amuro, Char, Kamille and
Hamahn
all with Z-BLUE it's getting kinda hard to choose my primary Newtype for the rest of the game.. sigh.

If you are only picking one then it's obviously Amuro. If it's more than one then you just have to choose between Kamille and Char. Char is probably more useful with command aura, Zeta might be a better MS than Sazabi though. Haman has valor and zeal so she is a pretty good partner for anyone really.

Amuro is pretty good even without any upgrades. Last time I played he did almost 10k with his strongest attack on a grunt. Only a few units I have right now that can do something similar.

Z3-2's early-mid game difficulty depends a lot on which route splits you take. The best routes have high lvl enemies to shoot down for XP, which lets you rack up multiple lv60-70 pilots if you do it right.

Amuro and Haman are prob. the two best oldschool Gundam pilots. They both have good combat ability and Awaken. Char has good combat ability and command aura but he lacks Awaken, and Quess and Four have Awaken but aren't as good in combat.

suko_32

There are occasions when I spend an inordinate amount of time on the intermission screen, usually right after a split path. @_@

Z3-2's early-mid game difficulty depends a lot on which route splits you take. The best routes have high lvl enemies to shoot down for XP, which lets you rack up multiple lv60-70 pilots if you do it right.

Amuro and Haman are prob. the two best oldschool Gundam pilots. They both have good combat ability and Awaken. Char has good combat ability and command aura but he lacks Awaken, and Quess and Four have Awaken but aren't as good in combat.

For those optimal leveling routes, do they switch back and forth throughout the game? I'm working my way through Z3.1 at the moment, but I only plan to do one run so I'd like my first Z3.2 run to be pretty optimal.

Now that I'm done with the event this weekend, i can finish up Z3!
Should have gotten it on portable.

I was too busy this weekend to get any progress in it as well, lol. So far behind.

I actually fired up 2nd OGs for half an hour though. Man that game was, its just such a better game on the surface. The unit animations seem more dynamic, the cut ins are better, the attacks happen quicker and they use more pan/zoom to make simple attack animations feel more dynamic. The one major thing I noticed and was surprised by is that while the game is "HD", the unit sprites them selves are actually super simple. Mostly made of simple solid colored geometric shapes,very little detail on the sprites them selves.

Shouta

Finished the game last night.

Despite the rocky start with Jigoku-hen, I'm pretty happy with how Tengoku-hen turned out. Tengoku helped raise Z3 up overall. There's a lot to talk about it and I may make another post with it a bit later since I'm pretty beat, lol.

Beckx

Playing the "refresh EMS tracking" game. Hope it arrives for the weekend, but if not I'll dive deeper into Lost Heroes 2.

Beckx

Copy came in!

Is it possible to upload my vita data for Z3-1 and then use that with Rengoku Hen on PS3, then upload that and use it with Z3-2 on Vita for the bonus?

Beckx

Ah, thanks. Will Z3-2 look for Rengoku Hen data that was uploaded or do I need to have the save data on my Vita (which won't happen since I use my NA psn account for vita)?

Beckx

Rengoku Hen has been a nice refresher on how everything works, though I have no real connection with these characters having not played Z or the Z2 games. I guess Advent was in Z3-1 (?) but I have zero recollection of him.

Beckx

Hey anything not Gundam, Votoms or Mazinger gets all hazy for me, hah.

One more Z-R mission to go. It was fun beating up on
Gadlight
again.

For those optimal leveling routes, do they switch back and forth throughout the game? I'm working my way through Z3.1 at the moment, but I only plan to do one run so I'd like my first Z3.2 run to be pretty optimal.
Not really, it's the super routes where you run into Mycenae (Mazinger) enemies that are far higher level than other grunts.

Play-asia just sent out a mail with an update on Shonengamez' translation project. They have the guidance scenario and prologue 1 and 2 up and translated.

Beckx

Hrm. Finished Rengoku Hen and uploaded my clear data, but when I go to start Z3-2 and choose the network option, it doesn't find anything. Since its cross-save (i think) it shouldn't be the different platforms messing it up, right?

Beckx

They should allow you to look for a Rengoku save online. I'd test it out if I wasn't at work. D=

It does, it just never finds anything.

I won't be starting up until very late tonight at the earliest, so if you do have a chance to test yours, let me know.

So the steps I followed are

Start -> 2nd option from the top "Scenario + Data Link" -> 1st option Link via network

And then it finds my Jigoku-Hen clear data that I uploaded sometime last year.

Are you trying to link data from the same account? Double check that you uploaded your final game clear save?

Beckx

Jigoku-hen is fine (it was on locally and comes up every time I hit Start, don't even need to have the game search for it after selecting the first time)

I uploaded the clear data save for Rengoku on PS3 on my NA profile, and am following that same process you outlined to find it on Tengoku on Vita on same NA profile. Nada.

Weird, well if that doesn't work, you can always go for the last ditch attempt and download the vita version of Rengoku and then download the save through that.

Beckx

Weird, well if that doesn't work, you can always go for the last ditch attempt and download the vita version of Rengoku and then download the save through that.

won't work because of the different regions. vita one account BS. can't get rengoku onto the vita without wiping it, can't get back to playing with my jigoku save without wiping it again.

Ah well. would've been nice to have the bonuses but it's not the end of the world, rengoku was still worth playing.

Reishiki

Banned
Gotta say, I'm enjoying Tengoku-hen a lot more than Jigoku-hen (which I didn't finish, in the end). I reached Stage 51 last night having
got Graham to survive the Trailblazer
finale.

Also, I was pretty fucking hype when this happened.

Lombax

Banned
I have always been interested in playing one of these games, and I just had a quick question.

Would this game be completely impenetrable as both a new player, and no ability to read Japanese? Are there english language options in the game?

Thank you.

Beckx

I have always been interested in playing one of these games, and I just had a quick question.

Would this game be completely impenetrable as both a new player, and no ability to read Japanese? Are there english language options in the game?

Thank you.

The wiki in the OP has everything you need. If you just enjoy SRPGs and watching your favorite super robots and mecha blow shit up, you can enjoy this game. A knowledge of katakana would be helpful and you can pick that up in a few hours, honestly.

That said, if you don't want to learn kana & don't want to memorize which stat or skill is which (they're mostly kanji), then you'll have a harder time.

Lombax

Banned
The wiki in the OP has everything you need. If you just enjoy SRPGs and watching your favorite super robots and mecha blow shit up, you can enjoy this game. A knowledge of katakana would be helpful and you can pick that up in a few hours, honestly.

That said, if you don't want to learn kana & don't want to memorize which stat or skill is which (they're mostly kanji), then you'll have a harder time.

Thanks very much for the information. I'll have a look at the references in the OP.

Absol

Just finished 45 tonight and naturally got
(fuck) Riddhe
. Benched his ass as soon as I can. But mofo is a forced deploy again in the next stage. fuck

Shouta

I need to go through the Gundam routes to see how Riddhe is. I went the other routes to play Gargantia.

Teknoman

Thanks very much for the information. I'll have a look at the references in the OP.

I can attest to this. Especially after messing around in 2nd OG for PS3. Im not going to fully go into the more recent games yet, since im still playing Alpha Gaiden translation, but once you're familiar with the menu placement, you should be ok for the most part. Also check out this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450042

and this:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-gateway-guide-to-super-robot-wars

There are a couple of SRW games that are officially in english, some with full translations, some with menu only translations, and some with full translations in progress.

On that note, is Kanjite Knight from Mazinger Z in Z3 at all, or just in Z2?

Bebpo

Banned
I like this game but it's so draining. Just finished Unicorn which was like a 2-3 hour long map after the final 2 hour long FMP map just a few maps earlier.

There's no way I'm playing BX this year after this. Z3-2 is just way too draining.

I like this game but it's so draining. Just finished Unicorn which was like a 2-3 hour long map after the final 2 hour long FMP map just a few maps earlier.

There's no way I'm playing BX this year after this. Z3-2 is just way too draining.

And here I thought I was going to be the one to bump this from the grave, Just finished mission 45, and I feel like it's one of the faster paced SRW games I've played; really enjoying it.

2-3 hour long map?! I've never had one take so long and I'm going for Z points. Have you been having trouble with something in particular?

Bebpo

Banned
Are you reading all the text? The gameplay is fairly quick but map 45 is a freaking novel, same with the final fmp map (which makes sense that they're so wordy since they're actually adapted from novels)

But like who thought it was a good idea to take the final unicorn episode which is very lengthy in story and then add a certain sphere user's entire back story in the same episode.

I don't mind the map count since the gameplay goes quick with all the map attacks, but they're really packing the story into some of these maps.

Are you reading all the text? The gameplay is fairly quick but map 45 is a freaking novel, same with the final fmp map (which makes sense that they're so wordy since they're actually adapted from novels)

But like who thought it was a good idea to take the final unicorn episode which is very lengthy in story and then add a certain sphere user's entire back story in the same episode.

I don't mind the map count since the gameplay goes quick with all the map attacks, but they're really packing the story into some of these maps.

There we go, should have prefaced this with I don't read Japanese, my bad. I usually read a summary translation a guy on gamefaqs does with his walkthroughs, but he hasn't done one for this yet. Even just a summary, (ableit a detailed one), usually takes a while to go through.

Agreed though, at one point I chuckled over how long it was taking to speed through all the text, it seemed like way too much was piled on all at once there. So yeah, taking that into account I'm sure it really does feel draining. I played some of the Alpha Gaiden translation and it reminded me how long these can take when you read everything, especially the older ones that don't the have animation speed up options.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, makes sense. I usually find most of the time in SRW the maps are either reading all the text or going through grunts (@3 for instance). Z3-2 with continuous move and map attacks like Moonlight Butterfly and DX's Twin Satellite Cannons makes burning through the grunts pretty quick, especially once you get 2x/2.5x damage seishin. So most of the time ends up being the story parts later on when the story parts get long.

One reason why I like the handheld SRW games is they tend to have less story, so the maps are a lot shorter even if you read all the text.

Yeah, makes sense. I usually find most of the time in SRW the maps are either reading all the text or going through grunts (@3 for instance). Z3-2 with continuous move and map attacks like Moonlight Butterfly and DX's Twin Satellite Cannons makes burning through the grunts pretty quick, especially once you get 2x/2.5x damage seishin. So most of the time ends up being the story parts later on when the story parts get long.

One reason why I like the handheld SRW games is they tend to have less story, so the maps are a lot shorter even if you read all the text.

Yeah first time I used Moonlight Butterfly my jaw dropped. It almost feels like cheating haha. Yeah they really want to condense as much of each featured shows ending as possible don't they? I've seen most of the shows featured so I at least know what's going on, and I feel like it's overkill sometimes.

I'll agree with the caveat being OG 1 & 2 on the GBA. Those were jam packed with story beginning to end from what I remember, but at least it was really enjoyable. At least from what I remember playing them in high school.

Top Bottom