• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

JayEH

DyG2N3n.png

Game Info

Developer: Beenox
Publisher: Activision
Release Date: April 29th , 2014 (NA), May 2nd , 2014 (EU), May 7, 2014 (AUS)
Platforms: PC, 3DS, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One.

Update:

Seems like Xbox One Digital version is up.

The retail Xbox One version of the game has been delayed indefinitely for unknown reasons. (Most likely failed certification)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the tie-in game to the movie of the same name. It is an open world sandbox game that allows player to take control of Spider-Man while he web slings his way across the NYC. The plot of the game follows Peter Parker's quest to find his uncle's killer.

The game is currently $10 cheaper on Amazon. Link

Gamestop is offering two free tickets to see the Amazing Spider-Man 2 film if you pick up the game. Details here.

No one else was making a thread, so I just threw this together in a couple of minutes. Sorry for the lack of info at the moment.

Screenshots

RVWX6C7.jpg

rsonD5K.jpg

a3o290Z.jpg

3XrnIFB.jpg

8nlebFM.jpg

x8nMrrz.jpg

Trailers and Gameplay

Reveal Trailer

Kingpin Trailer

PS4 Gameplay

Launch Trailer

Really excited about this game, can't wait to pick it up I absolutely adored the first one.

All the footage I've seen of it makes it look like the first game, but better.
Which is exactly what I wanted.

There's a Let's Play on YouTube already, it actually seems okay, which is good. Thought the first one was pretty okay, so if they just made a better game then I'm down for that.

Edit: Also Stan Lee's in it so it gets points for that.

legbone

i'll probably pick this up down the road. with wolfenstein and watch dogs coming out in may i just can't justify it at the moment. looks like fun though.

McSpidey

There really isn't much info on this game at all. Could barely find any info in my, albeit short, search.

Oh I know, I've been trying to find info or reviews on it since the movie came out. It seems they want to sweep this one under a rug.

At the end of the day if the swinging it as good or better than the old Spider-Man 2 game I'll probably still play it though :/

Spinluck

I don't have the balls to buy this at $50, why doesn't Redbox have this yet!

I think I may get back on Gamefly.

EDIT: I'm not ashamed to admit I platinumed the first one. Bought it for $20 on black friday of 12, platinumed it like October of last year when I went on a gaming spree before next gen lol.

Actually really excited for this, will be picking it up on Tuesday. Thanks for the OT, character info and such can be found on their main site if you wanted to make this OT more robust.

JayEH

Actually really excited for this, will be picking it up on Tuesday. Thanks for the OT, character info and such can be found on their main site if you wanted to make this OT more robust.

Ok thanks. I'll update the OT later, I'm heading to bed now lol.

sector4

Thanks OP, super psyched for this, it's been a long wait since seeing Spidey 2 at the cinemas! The release date is actually the 7th for AUS though :)

I am actually looking forward to playing as Peter Parker in the game, I know it will probably be some tedious filler content and a total disappointment, but it is something I have always wanted in a Spidey game. I don't think this is the first game to do it, IIRC you get to take some photos as Peter Parker in the first or second Spider-Man game (with Tobey Maguire)? Perhaps I made that up in my head, but this looks to be the first game to let you play as Peter Parker with slightly more varied gameplay... or at least I hope so.

-Digits-

I must be crazy that I'm going to buy this full price on PSN. I'm a bit miffed that I don't get the costume 4-pack though. I hate these retailer exclusive deals.

Vitor711

The game on the first movie was good, but way too any collectibles tbh :/

I enjoyed the first a great deal but I'm really worried about this one.

Doesn't ship day and date with the movie and they've released no footage/no copies sent to press for reviews. Hardly screams confident publisher.

Here's hoping they actually use the open-world for story missions instead of the stupid cordoned off levels they made in the first. Why they wouldn't wan to show off the improve web swinging as much as possible would be beyond me.

dan2026

When are we going to stop getting these shit movie tie-ins and get the really excellent game Spider-man deserves.

Batman has his excellent game series, so why can't Spidey?

When are we going to stop getting these shit movie tie-ins and get the really excellent game Spider-man deserves.

Batman has his excellent game series, so why can't Spidey?

I agree that spider-man deserves more than movie tie-ins, but to say they are shitty, that's exagerating. Have you even played the first one? Looks good, plays good and lots of people enjoyed it. I personally can't wait to play the sequel.

To be honest, with Disney getting back the license, I'm not very optimistic for the near futur of any spider-man's games. Would have really liked it if Beenox would have stayed with the license, but had a better budget and more time.

They've had over four years and four games to get the formula right. They've had their chance, multiple times, and blew it. Can't wait for the license to pass over.

But the formula is, good. Even more so when you look at what TASM2 shows you with the more open levels in which you can tackle them the way you want.

They also get the character that is spider-man for one, which you can't say will happen for sure with any other devs taking the reigns.

I was going to pick this up but it's already 40 dollars on PC which is sure to drop like a stone. I would like to see a real in depth non-movie licensed spiderman game... the movie games always lose their luster very quickly with me. If you loved the last effort this seems made for you though.

SJRB

Gold Member
Played the hell out of the first one, even double-dipped on both PS3 and PC version. It had many flaws, but just mindlessly swinging around NYC was and still is strangely relaxing.

I played it just yesterday, just boot up the game and swing around for an hour or so. Gain momentum, do huge leaps. I really like the previous game, I hope this one can deliver that same experience. The choice to add a left/right swinging mechanic is interesting.

Not sure if I'll be picking this up at full price though. Activision should've made this a 40 euro title and it would sell tons more than it will now. It's basically sent out to die at this point, zero marketing and all. Absurd.

But the formula is, good. Even more so when ou look at what TASM2 shows you with the more open levels in which you can tackle them the way you want.

They also get the character that is spider-man for one, which you can,t say will happen with any other devs taking the reigns.

The fact that it's taken them until 2014 to grasp the whole "webs sticking to buildings" thing when SM2 did it great 10 years ago is indicative of how I don't really think they do "get" that the character is Spider-Man. And if Sony isn't giving them enough time to get the game out, hey, maybe now they'll make something non-movie related.

I don't think they've set a particularly high bar for any dev to leap. And no, not Rocksteady like everybody who's played 5 minutes of Arkham incessantly parrots.

The fact that it's taken them until 2014 to grasp the whole "webs sticking to buildings" thing when SM2 did it great 10 years ago is indicative of how I don't really think they do "get" that the character is Spider-Man. And if Sony isn't giving them enough time to get the game out, hey, maybe now they'll make something non-movie related.

I don't think they've set a particularly high bar for any dev to leap. And no, not Rocksteady like everybody who's played 5 minutes of Arkham incessantly parrots.

Nerds raged about those web not sticking to the buildings, but that was mostly only a aesthetic issue.

The games were fun, and many of the people who played them enjoyed them still. No matter how many years it took for them to finally get it, the fact that they do now with their game coming out tomorrow is good enough. Wanting the game to go into anothers hands when it's finally starting to be something that would truely be great, is just ridiculous in my opinion. Plus if you consider the devs having a bigger budget and more time in the futur in which the game would not consist of a movie tie-in, Beenox would certainly do a absolute great job at it.

I really enjoyed the first one despite it's flaws and have this tentatively pre-ordered on PS4. If the reviews are terrible I'll probably cancel and pick it up when it's cheap though. Hopefully it's decent at least.

TimFL

It's sad that this has next to nothing to do with the movie, the "adapts key moments of the movies story" essentially means we have Electro and Harry in it but they are nothing like their movie counterparts except for a few cheesy lines.

Movie spoilers:
Gwen isn't even in the game so they obviously don't kill her in this installment (which was a huge part of the movie). Overall, the movie was more about the relationship between Peter & Gwen and where they're going than it was about Harry or Electro (Electro felt like a side-character and not the main villain, almost zero character development). They're not adapting jack-shit without having Gwen in the story, because Electro and Harry are mini-parts of the movies story and in no way key elements. Atleast not without Gwen being part of the encounters since she essentially is the reason Spidey could beat Electro.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Already $10 cheaper on Amazon, huh?

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna wait a bit before picking this up.

Enjoyed the first one so I am a little interested in this.

I really want another 616 universe Spidey game. When was the last time we had one of those that wasn't criss crossing with alternate universes?

Nerds raged about those web not sticking to the buildings, but that was mostly only a aesthetic issue.

The games were fun, and many of the people who played them enjoyed them still. No matter how many years it took for them to finally get it, the fact that they do now with their game coming out tomorrow is good enough. Wanting the game to go into anothers hands when it's finally starting to be something that would truely be great, is just ridiculous in my opinion. Plus if you consider the devs having a bigger budget and more time in the futur in which the game would not consist of a movie tie-in, Beenox would certainly do a absolute great job at it.
No it wasn't. Way to discredit your opinion. That was a pretty big gameplay issue.

Chairhome

The first game was pretty fun for what it was, I don't see it on the same level as AAA titles, but it captures the fun/whimsical spidey that comes to mind when i think spidey. I was disappointed in the "delay" of the XBO version, but PC will do I guess...

I bought the first ASM on Steam two weeks ago and my 4.5 year old son loved it. I had to help him on a few parts but he beat the game on easy and he's been asking about this game ever since he saw me browsing Steam a week ago. Got it pre-ordered for less than $20 from a Steam reseller, made a countdown calendar for him so he'll stop asking me everyday what day it is.

No it wasn't. Way to discredit your opinion. That was a pretty big gameplay issue.

I disagree. Sure, the webs would stick to invisible structures, however, if there were no tall buildings around, you couldn't webswing. In central park, you could only swing very low to the ground, and over lakes (with no structures around it), you could not webswing. I thought it was still realistic in that aspect, but I don't think any of the invisible webswinging affected gameplay at all.

The webs not sticking to buildings never bothered me that much. I preferred the Spidey 2 web swinging but it's not the end of the world in my opinion.

Lots of "ifs" being thrown around. 4 games is more than enough of a chance in my eyes. Not saying Rocksteady should develop Spiderman, again, but they got it right their first try. Not perfect, but a damn sight better than anything Beenox have limped out with.

$40 on Steam with the Gamestop costume pack (see: the symbiote costume) won me over

looks good from the gameplay I've seen on Youtube so far, hopefully the port is solid

-Digits-

$40 on Steam with the Gamestop costume pack (see: the symbiote costume) won me over

looks good from the gameplay I've seen on Youtube so far, hopefully the port is solid

Holy balls. It's €30 on Steam and it comes with the costumes. Screw PSN, I'm getting the PC version.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I definitely agree that Spider-Man should borrow the Arkham style fighting, would work wonders in improving the quality. I'm eager to try out this one in hopes its anywhere near the quality of Spider-Man on PS1/2 but I highly doubt it, not when its "tied" to the movie. Especially looking at Let's Plays like the one below (ignore the terrible commentary) give me little confidence.

Spider-Man as a game series has so much potential to be an awesome open-world title, but every developer who has tried forgets key components that make open-world games fun: exploration, actually being open, interaction with the environment and not being a total grind fest of repetitiveness. Nail those and you'll have me day dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxhOz07iMNw

Nymphae

Banned
I disagree. Sure, the webs would stick to invisible structures, however, if there were no tall buildings around, you couldn't webswing. In central park, you could only swing very low to the ground, and over lakes (with no structures around it), you could not webswing. I thought it was still realistic in that aspect, but I don't think any of the invisible webswinging affected gameplay at all.

Dude you are so wrong it's not even funny.

If you don't think the swing mechanic change from being able to attach web to anything in the ether, to having to use physical objects to manipulate your momentum and swings made noticeable gameplay differences, you're fucking high.

if there were no tall buildings around, you couldn't webswing.

Because this happens all the time in Spiderman games.

Seriously, play the original Spiderman for PS2/GC/XB/whatever, then play Spiderman-2. You don't see/feel a difference in the way the swinging works?

Certinty

Will get this once it's £30 on PS4.

Looks fun but it's a shame the game doesn't look visually good and the main story seems very short. Saying that though Spider-Man games have always been my weakness, I find even the worse ones fun.

looking at pricing history, im surprised that asm1 has never really bomba priced ever. Currently its about as low as it got at $17 on amazon.

Is that game still worth looking at?

Top Bottom