• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

TimFL

Dude you are so wrong it's not even funny.

If you don't think the swing mechanic change from being able to attach web to anything in the ether, to having to use physical objects to manipulate your momentum and swings made noticeable gameplay differences, you're fucking high.

Seriously, play the original Spiderman for PS2/GC/XB/whatever, then play Spiderman-2. You don't see/feel a difference in the way the swinging works?

It's funny because you wont get it with this game. It was confirmed already that it's pretty much the same swinging mechanic with webs attaching to building being purely visual. There is NO momentum, the webs have zero physical properties (start your swing outside a tunnel, swing inside -> web clips through ceiling of tunnel, web clips through pretty much everything it comes in contact with: lampposts, vehicles, whole buildings if you swing past building corners etc.), webs don't always attach to structures (they attach nearby a lot and above trees etc.), the overall swinging makes no sense (shoots web above the head instead of infront of him for proper momentum, you are effectively starting your swing at the lowest point).

It's TASM1 swinging v1.5. Atleast you can hold onto your webline this time around. Web-rush and the catapult move still have webs attaching to zero structures too sometimes.

Nymphae

Banned
It's funny because you wont get it with this game. It was confirmed already that it's pretty much the same swinging mechanic with webs attaching to building being purely visual. There is NO momentum, the webs have zero physical properties (start your swing outside a tunnel, swing inside -> web clips through ceiling of tunnel, web clips through pretty much everything it comes in contact with: lampposts, vehicles, whole buildings if you swing past building corners etc.), webs don't always attach to structures (they attach nearby a lot and above trees etc.), the overall swinging makes no sense (shoots web above the head instead of infront of him for proper momentum, you are effectively starting your swing at the lowest point).

It's TASM1 swinging v1.5. Atleast you can hold onto your webline this time around. Web-rush and the catapult move still have webs attaching to zero structures too sometimes.

Oh wow, haven't been keeping up on this version, looks like I'm not buying it now.

Chairhome

If you don't think the swing mechanic change from being able to attach web to anything in the ether, to having to use physical objects to manipulate your momentum and swings made noticeable gameplay differences, you're fucking high.

Because this happens all the time in Spiderman games.

Seriously, play the original Spiderman for PS2/GC/XB/whatever, then play Spiderman-2. You don't see/feel a difference in the way the swinging works?

Well, if I'm comparing it to Spiderman 2, then I guess I'm wrong, but I didn't see it as having a big effect on the way I played the game. I haven't really played a Spider-man game since renting SM3 (movie game), so this game still felt fine to me. I guess I just don't take the swinging as seriously as you do (which is not a dig against you, just different strokes).

I will be picking this up first thing tomorrow morning for my PS4.

I have been playing Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman on my 360 through backwards compatibility, Web of Shadows, 3 and Amazing Spiderman.

Love this series so much, I hope this one is at least as good, I get lost for hours just web swinging.

TimFL

Oh wow, haven't been keeping up on this version, looks like I'm not buying it now.

Ontop of that it uses the same mission swinging mechanic as TASM1 (the indoor swinging mechanic). The bad part about this is that it uses it in all missions, quite a few missions take place in "open area locations" (a parking lot or a warehouse with surrounding parks) which means you'll be sky-swinging again until you are done with the mission.

hbkdx12

Honest question here....

Why do people seem to constantly get their hopes up over Spiderman games? Historically, they're always pretty mediocre and they never get the web-swinging down which is the thing that people almost universally complain about.

I played TASM a few months ago and i enjoyed it. But it was certainly more of a guilty pleasure and even then most of that was derived from the traversal and web swinging.

I've saw streams of this on PS4 over the weekend and it looks like the same game with a few new animations and a couple new mechanics For example,
you have to actually heal yourself now rather then retreating and letting you health regen

I mean seriously, if people are complaining about how this pales in comparison to a game in the same franchise from 10 years ago, that seems like somethings wrong no?

Ontop of that it uses the same mission swinging mechanic as TASM1 (the indoor swinging mechanic). The bad part about this is that it uses it in all missions, quite a few missions take place in "open area locations" (a parking lot or a warehouse with surrounding parks) which means you'll be sky-swinging again until you are done with the mission.

I'm looking forward to it, no the swinging won't be on Spiderman 2, Ultimate or Web of Shadows level, but I still had a lot of fun with the 1st Amazing Spiderman and if this one is improved on that I will be happy for now.

TimFL

I'm looking forward to it, no the swinging won't be on Spiderman 2, Ultimate or Web of Shadows level, but I still had a lot of fun with the 1st Amazing Spiderman and if this one is improved on that I will be happy for now.

Same, I enjoyed the first one too but I got tired of it quick due to crimes disappearing after a while and the sky-swinging got old fast.

Has there been any update on the xbox one version's status? Mediocre or not, I tend to enjoy Spider-Man games as a guilty pleasure. Amazon lists it as July 1st, but I'm assuming that is just a place holder?

Nymphae

Banned
Historically, they're always pretty mediocre and they never get the web-swinging down which is the thing that people almost universally complain about.

You're wrong, Spider-man 2 and Spider-man: Web of Shadows had incredible swinging mechanics, they absolutely "got it down" (in terms of the mechanics themselves, I'd still give the edge to SM2 over WoS, just because WOS had some jank in the physics at super high speeds that wasn't present in SM2, but overall WoS was way more fun to play, largely due to the Web Zip move).

parabolee

When are reviews of this due?

Need to decide on PS4 or PC. Huge Spidey fan so I'll be buying either way, just need to know if the PC version is hot garbage or not.

hbkdx12

You're wrong, Spider-man 2 and Spider-man: Web of Shadows had incredible swinging mechanics, they absolutely "got it down" (in terms of the mechanics themselves, I'd still give the edge to SM2 over WoS, just because WOS had some jank in the physics at super high speeds that wasn't present in SM2, but overall WoS was way more fun to play, largely due to the Web Zip move).

I never played it so i'll take your word for it but nonetheless WoS came out in 2008? Beenox has made 4 spider man games in that time frame and, correct me if i'm wrong, no one hails the web swinging as anything close to SM2 or WoS so at what point do people stop blindly putting their faith in the whole "I hope they get it right this time"

Absolutely agree with this. SM2's physics based swinging, charge jump and sprint mechanics make it so much fun just to go from one point in the city to another, plus shooting two webs was pretty cool. WoS used the simplified control scheme from SM2, but it was still a blast to play thanks to the combat (I loved how you might start a fight on ground level, continue on a wall and finish it on the air with the web strike attack) furthermore the jumping against a wall enabled you to get into the typical Spider-Man sitting-against-a-wall position. Shame about the framerate in the later chapters.

I still like to get back to them once in a while, and I'd really wish a new Spider-Man game merged the aspects of those two titles.

Seeing the praise for Web of Shadows makes me want to check it out, anywhere I can get it, preferably online, for PC?

Physical only, it was one of the many Activision/Marvel games that got killed off due to licenses and such.

If on a console the 360 version is superior, the PS3 one was a case study of shitty PS3 ports in the early generation.

Nymphae

Banned
I never played it so i'll take your word for it but nonetheless WoS came out in 2008? Beenox has made 4 spider man games in that time frame and, correct me if i'm wrong, no one hails the web swinging as anything close to SM2 or WoS so at what point do people stop blindly putting their faith in the whole "I hope they get it right this time"

You're right, they've made a bunch since then but nothing that touches the mechanics of the best in the series. I know I'm not blindly putting faith in devs that each time will be the time they do it right, more like just hoping and praying. It's a shame they constantly misunderstand what makes a great Spider-man game. They had the foundations in place like a decade ago, and just keep putting out trash, it's kind of crazy.

Nymphae

Banned
Seeing the praise for Web of Shadows makes me want to check it out, anywhere I can get it, preferably online, for PC?

Not sure about your question, sorry, but just wanted to add that the other awesome thing about WoS was being able to switch between normal & black suit spidey with the press of a button. God damn I forgot how awesome that game is.

esterk

Just so everyone knows, if you get it at GameStop day 1 you get 2 free tickets to go see the movie (while supplies last, etc). Not a bad deal, and helps counteract Amazon's cheaper price.

Physical only, it was one of the many Activision/Marvel games that got killed off due to licenses and such.

If on a console the 360 version is superior, the PS3 one was a case study of shitty PS3 ports in the early generation.

Ah, that's a shame, would have jumped in straight away if it was on Gamersgate or something of the like.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E3WC2G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Easily the best Spidey game since SM2 IMO. Story goes off the rails at the end but it has the best open world and swinging outside of SM2. And it's the true 616 Spidey!

Thanks, I'm UK based, but I'm sure it'll be on Amazon over here as well.

Not sure about your question, sorry, but just wanted to add that the other awesome thing about WoS was being able to switch between normal & black suit spidey with the press of a button. God damn I forgot how awesome that game is.

Speaking of SM2, how does it hold up nowadays? Worth trying out on PCSX2?

parabolee

Speaking of SM2, how does it hold up nowadays? Worth trying out on PCSX2?

I tried to play it again recently, I don't think it has aged well at all. The swing mechanics are still good but the world is sparse and the events are not very good and very repetitive.

The web swinging in Web of Shadows is not incredible. It's probably the same tier as this game. Half the time it doesn't even pretend the webs are touching buildings and there are no momentum physics like Spider-man 2. When's the last you played it, I feel a lot of you have either nostalgia goggles or have lower standards for web-swinging? I just played the game yesterday and it doesn't really hold up at all. It feels like it needed an extra year of development.

EDIT: And why the hell is Spider-man 2 the only game with a sprint button????

TasTokyo

I honestly sometimes can't believe we still haven't really had a SM game that is better or even just as good as SM2 for web swinging. It is now 10 years ago and back on the PS2. The momentum point you make is spot on. Even SM3, which was meant to be roughly the same swinging, wasn't as good. The effect of momentum was almost zero.

I had heard that there were worries the swinging in SM2 was too difficult for some gamers. But honestly just make the good system and get much better reviews and word of mouth. Then include a super simple version.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Will probably get this game at a low price eventually. I'm cautiously optimistic that the web swinging is finally properly done again for the first time in like ever, and that's pretty much enough to make my decision for me if so, but there's no way I'm getting it at full price.

sethcheek

Has there been any update on the xbox one version's status? Mediocre or not, I tend to enjoy Spider-Man games as a guilty pleasure. Amazon lists it as July 1st, but I'm assuming that is just a place holder?
I'm paying more attention to this than most, because I'm a Spider-Man fan, but is this a normal practice, for a game to go into "indefinite delay"? Wouldn't they just cancel it? Activision said on their Facebook page they're working with Microsoft to release it on the One, but is that likely? I can't believe it's still so vague.

Amazon and Gamestop both have a 7/1 release date, but a friend of mine that manages a Gamestop says that's just a placeholder.. as the first day of Q3.

Effect

Really want to see Wii U footage of this before deciding if I'll get it. I'm not judging to hard as this is a movie tie-in game. So I know what I'm getting into. However there is a level I'm willing to accept or not accept.

JayEH

I'm adding the Gamestop free ticket deal to the OP. Thanks to everyone who pointed that out. I'll try to update the OP with more detail when I get out of class later in the evening.

BigFwoosh

Really want to see Wii U footage of this before deciding if I'll get it. I'm not judging to hard as this is a movie tie-in game. So I know what I'm getting into. However there is a level I'm willing to accept or not accept.

Whenever I see Spider-Man and Wii in the same sentence, I will always be reminded of this:

spider-man-3-20070504032237938-000.jpg

I do hope this doesn't suck though.

Kinda sad there was no Captain America game for the Winter Soldier movie. Would have loved Captain America : Arkham City.

Don't worry though, iOS game! Sigh. The lack of that Borderlands-Avengers style game from THQ seemed to indicate them completely holding off on tie-ins and opting for mobile versions instead.

Do we have ANY info on the 3DS version? The developer was listed as High Voltage Software (The Conduit), and the Nintendo.com page claimed open-world gameplay.

esterk

I'll be getting the game for ps4, since a: I'm out of stuff to play and b: a coupon and the movie tickets essentially make it only $30, so why not.

Hope it doesn't suck :|

SFenton

Don't worry though, iOS game! Sigh. The lack of that Borderlands-Avengers style game from THQ seemed to indicate them completely holding off on tie-ins and opting for mobile versions instead.

Do we have ANY info on the 3DS version? The developer was listed as High Voltage Software (The Conduit), and the Nintendo.com page claimed open-world gameplay.

Speaking of High Voltage, qe don't still have faith in their abilities, right? Conduit 1 was mediocre at best, 2 was ass, and we never saw any more of the one L4D style game, which I wouldn't even have expected to be any good.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
I was going to get it for the pc since it is $20 cheaper, but from my past experience, the pc is lacking in term of controller. It feels weird playing action game on the pc except fps for me at least. So, I'll will be getting the PS4 even if it is $20 more plus I can trade it in.

Nudull

Banned
Whenever I see Spider-Man and Wii in the same sentence, I will always be reminded of this:

spider-man-3-20070504032237938-000.jpg

I do hope this doesn't suck though.

Ugh. I still remember buying this and going giddy over motion control web swinging. So much hope and optimism dashed in an instant.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed in this one, but I might still get it for Wii U if the reviews aren't too horrible (and if it price bombas, which probably won't happen, but I can dream).

Top Bottom