• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

TimFL

I wonder if this time it'll be nice to AMD hardware.

Only reason I get the PS4 version. The PC version costs 17,90€ here (directly from amazon) but no way I'll get it for PC due to the horrific "not running properly with AMD hardware" port they delivered last time around. I shouldn't have to resort to modifying files or having to use workarounds to start the game let alone have it run smoothly on my monster rig (literally killing every game out there).

parabolee

I was going to get it for the pc since it is $20 cheaper, but from my past experience, the pc is lacking in term of controller. It feels weird playing action game on the pc except fps for me at least. So, I'll will be getting the PS4 even if it is $20 more plus I can trade it in.

Not sure what you mean. The PC version has full controller support.

I'll be playing it with the fantastic DualShock 4 on PC!

The web swinging in Web of Shadows is not incredible. It's probably the same tier as this game. Half the time it doesn't even pretend the webs are touching buildings and there are no momentum physics like Spider-man 2. When's the last you played it, I feel a lot of you have either nostalgia goggles or have lower standards for web-swinging? I just played the game yesterday and it doesn't really hold up at all. It feels like it needed an extra year of development.

EDIT: And why the hell is Spider-man 2 the only game with a sprint button????

Yup, I was able to shoot webs while standing on top of a building in Web of Shadows and there was no momentum physics. Web of Shadows web swinging was cool because of the animations Spidey had while web swinging.

And fuck yeah man, the lack of a sprint button has pissed me off in all the recent Spider-Man games. There was nothing like sprinting, charge jumping and swinging in SM2 allowed for so much variety in the traversal.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
Not sure what you mean. The PC version has full controller support.

I'll be playing it with the fantastic DualShock 4 on PC!

and 60fps which i dont think the consoles are?

True, but idk. Maybe because I hate mapping the button myself lol and there will be missing feature like the rumbling feature. Plus the game is made for console, so it will run smoothly (I hope) on the ps4. I played Assassin Creed 4 on my pc, and it runs like crap for some part even though my pc is way above their max requirement.

I tried to cancel the Wii U version from Amazon but apparently doing it on a Sunday afternoon was too late for a late monday ship date...oh well. I'll post some impressions whenever it gets here.

parabolee

True, but idk. Maybe because I hate mapping the button myself lol and there will be missing feature like the rumbling feature. Plus the game is made for console, so it will run smoothly (I hope) on the ps4. I played Assassin Creed 4 on my pc, and it runs like crap for some part even though my pc is way above their max requirement.

Well how smooth it runs is dependant on how good your PC is. Mine has 2 $400 cards in it, and destroys my PS4's performance.

And as long as you have a compatible controller (like a 360 controller or a DS4 with DS4tool installed), you won't have to map any buttons and rumble will work just fine.

There will be no missing features. At least not in regards to the controller support. Can;'t speak for the rest of the game until reviews come out.

I think these games end up sucking because the development team is tired of making them and have no passion for the subject matter. They basically make one every two years. Let it rest or give it to someone else.

In terms of combat I don't think it needs to be like the Batman games. The number of times Spiderman has to hit low tier crooks in these games before they are unconscious is ridiculous. He has super strength. Make it like Call of Duty, two body shots and you're done. Spiderman should blitz through everyone except for bosses,robots,heavily armored guys. Show off the speed, strength, and agility. I'd like to be able to swing in and take people out without even touching the ground if I didn't want to.

I use the xbox 360 controller on my pc all he time. This is how I played the first game. You do not have to map keys and also it supports rumble....

Chairhome

I tried to cancel the Wii U version from Amazon but apparently doing it on a Sunday afternoon was too late for a late monday ship date...oh well. I'll post some impressions whenever it gets here.

Didn't even realize it was a Tuesday release, I thought it was coming out on Friday with the movie. My son will be so excited tomorrow...

ac4 ran like crap on most systems because of the stupid way it handles cpu usage.

I'd be fucking shocked if this game didn't have native xinput support. Pretty much EVERY game has that these days that isn't some indie game or mouse keyboard game, or stupid like some call of duties or Mass Effect.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The number of times Spiderman has to hit low tier crooks in these games before they are unconscious is ridiculous. He has super strength.

I think it was Spiderman 3 where I was fighting a gang of chicks, and it took multiple attacks just to KO one of them. It was ridiculous.

I think at that point I stopped playing the game.

MYE

They seriously need to hire better animators or something at Beenox.
The transition between the animations has no flow. It looks jerky as hell.

They've been at it for years, you would think they would start nailing the movement, if nothing else...

damn web of shadows is still pretty expensive.

Yeah I just noticed this too!
Was reminded that Wolverine was in it. Thats a huge turn off for me. I hate this fucking crossover trend with a burning passion!!!!

I think these games end up sucking because the development team is tired of making them and have no passion for the subject matter. They basically make one every two years. Let it rest or give it to someone else.

In terms of combat I don't think it needs to be like the Batman games. The number of times Spiderman has to hit low tier crooks in these games before they are unconscious is ridiculous. He has super strength. Make it like Call of Duty, two body shots and you're done. Spiderman should blitz through everyone except for bosses,robots,heavily armored guys. Show off the speed, strength, and agility. I'd like to be able to swing in and take people out without even touching the ground if I didn't want to.

There's a lot of truth to this, but i keep in mind, dude is holding back strengthwise, he'd kill with his strength if he wanted to, so where batman restrains up to the point of not killing, spidey restrains himself to the point where he's playing with criminals, he can lift a tank over his head..i always have to let that set in.

my amazon ps4 copy just shipped

Ha Ha Helluva avatar quote opportunity. Pobrecito

image.php

-Digits-

Only reason I get the PS4 version. The PC version costs 17,90€ here (directly from amazon) but no way I'll get it for PC due to the horrific "not running properly with AMD hardware" port they delivered last time around. I shouldn't have to resort to modifying files or having to use workarounds to start the game let alone have it run smoothly on my monster rig (literally killing every game out there).

I bought it on Steam and then remembered how bad the first game ran on my PC because I have an AMD card. I'm banking on this game being better. If not, I'm gonna be pissed.

TimFL

I bought it on Steam and then remembered how bad the first game ran on my PC because I have an AMD card. I'm banking on this game being better. If not, I'm gonna be pissed.

Cancelled my PS4 pre-order a few minutes ago and got a key for 16€ (it's being sold for 17€ on amazon here...). I'll go ahead and say it works this time around, if not I buy the digital PS4 copy on friday.

SJRB

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, that was a pretty hype trailer.

Not really feeling the weirdly cartoonish proportioned Spiderman though.

Unai

There's a lot of truth to this, but i keep in mind, dude is holding back strengthwise, he'd kill with his strength if he wanted to, so where batman restrains up to the point of not killing, spidey restrains himself to the point where he's playing with criminals, he can lift a tank over his head..i always have to let that set in.

Yes.

It is worth noting that in recent Spider-Man comics, where Doctor Octo is in the body of Peter Parker, he was surprised about how strong Peter Parker really is. He figured Peter was always holding back.

JohngPR

Review embargoes until the launch day doesn't bother me anymore since there's been plenty of good games that have done the same, but not giving reviewers copies until launch? Yea...that does worry me.

jakomocha

Seems like there is already a review up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnV3dR7bB0

I'm not sure how they got this out before the embargo. Also, it seems like web-swinging against buildings is not always the case. If what the review is saying is correct, some story missions just let you swing from the air and even some areas in the city. Some new gameplay is in the video. They recommend waiting for a price drop

Seems like there is already a review up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnV3dR7bB0

I'm not sure how they got this out before the embargo. Also, it seems like web-swinging against buildings is not always the case. If what the review is saying is correct, some story missions just let you swing from the air and even some areas in the city. Some new gameplay is in the video. They recommend waiting for a price drop

this has to be the worst type of video review i've ever seen.

Top Bottom