• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

I begin to wonder what the end game for this show looks like. I suspect we've got one or two seasons left. Right now they're at the tail end of 1983, at the height of the tension in the Cold War.

What happens when their cause begins to crumble, just as the USSR does?

I wonder if defection is the end game... or if return home is... or if one of them is killed...

IvanJ

Banned
I begin to wonder what the end game for this show looks like. I suspect we've got one or two seasons left. Right now they're at the tail end of 1983, at the height of the tension in the Cold War.

What happens when their cause begins to crumble, just as the USSR does?

I wonder if defection is the end game... or if return home is... or if one of them is killed...

I think in the end Philip switches sides, and Stan kills Elizabeth.

IronRinn

Good stuff on the podcast this week with Landgraf on along with the showrunners. They discuss the process of making the show from a network / showrunners collaboration standpoint (how do notes work in this particular case, what's FX's influence on The Americans, what were Landgraf's initial notes), using The Day After this week, Landgraf's favorite scene, and some general talk about why FX has kept the show on the air.

Regarding the show's future, Landgraf says it'll be at least 5 seasons and they're discussing right now whether it'll be more than that. That decision will be made before the showrunners take a brief break and then start production on S5 in earnest, but they need to know if it'll be 5 or 6 seasons soon so they can lay out the rough narrative framework for the end of the show before their break.
Listened to this just after you posted it and, yeah, as interesting as I thought it would be.

Originally I was going to write how I didn't see how they could go six seasons, but in the course of writing this post I've flipped back and forth about three times, so I guess I can.

Saty

It's hard to jump the shark when your show is moving at a snail's pace.

I never understood this complaint against The Americans. Never thought to myself 'could you just go on' or that they were walking in place.
Great episode. Say what you say about Elizabeth, that's a heck of dedication to the cause - and it might be what makes her reconsider it.

Similarly to last episode where the lingered shot on the plane made me think they might blow it up, this time it was the car that was closing in on Paige and Phillip. Had a second there that i thought someone is going to pull a gun and spray at the car. Center trying to take them out! Too much bad TV ingrained in my brain.

Disgraced

What's the name of the game that Henry was playing?
It looks like Lode Runner.

69PU21v.jpg

PRw4iCI.jpg

Gameplay

WOW! Just finished binge-watching this. I can see why some people are borderline evangelical when it comes to the merits of this show. Probably the best thing I've seen in terms of characters and mood since Mad Men. Hugely impressed with this.

Geist-

WOW! Just finished binge-watching this. I can see why some people are borderline evangelical when it comes to the merits of this show. Probably the best thing I've seen in terms of characters and mood since Mad Men. Hugely impressed with this.

It's by far the greatest spy show I've ever seen. I wish I could convince my friends about it. :-(

Pedrito

I see this thread constantly on the first page. Is it bad news or good news?

I still haven't seen season 3 (and 4 obviously) so I'm wondering if the show is still going strong or if it's jumping the shark?

Zaph

I still haven't seen season 3 (and 4 obviously) so I'm wondering if the show is still going strong or if it's jumping the shark?

Couldn't be any more the former. This entire season has been a run of outstanding episode after outstanding episode - so many of the relationships and storylines that have been building for years are paying off in spades. It's the best currently airing tv show.

But don't take that as an incentive to skip season 3.

Daeda

I see this thread constantly on the first page. Is it bad news or good news?

Best show on tv right now. So the former Id say.

Pedrito

Couldn't be any more the former. This entire season has been a run of outstanding episode after outstanding episode - so many of the relationships and storylines that have been building for years are paying off in spades. It's the best currently airing tv show.

But don't take that as an incentive to skip season 3.

Best show on tv right now. So the former Id say.

Thanks. That's really nice to hear. I was disappointed by the ending of season 2 but I heard season 3 was great. I just looked on amazon and the DVD box set finally got a price drop so I'll order it today.

Welcome, comrade.

It's by far the greatest spy show I've ever seen. I wish I could convince my friends about it. :-(

Ha ha thanks for the welcome. And yeah, I'm about to start pestering my friends to watch too. Hopefully I'll be able to wear a couple of them down.

What I love about this series is how nuanced and rounded out the characters are. It's refreshing to see a show that treats its audience like adults and assumes they are capable of, you know, thinking in non-binary terms. The show reveals the good and the bad in each of it's characters and then leaves you room to make up your own mind, which I love. Most things on tv now seem to paint everyone in black and white, which is kinda uninteresting to me.

BkMogul

I like the boldness of this show just kicking off series regulars. Gives a sense of dread for alot of these characters. I'm wondering if it's too late to assimilate Henry into all this. His mentality towards everything doesn't seem strong enough to handle anything that may be told to him about Phil and Liz.

I don't think it's too late. And honestly I think he'd be way less of a PITA than Paige about it. But I'm not super interested in them going down this route since they've already covered a lot of this ground with the "Paige knows" plotline.

I like the boldness of this show just kicking off series regulars. Gives a sense of dread for alot of these characters. I'm wondering if it's too late to assimilate Henry into all this. His mentality towards everything doesn't seem strong enough to handle anything that may be told to him about Phil and Liz.
While I like the boldness, I personally felt Nina and Martha's arcs should've ended a long time ago. I was wrong about Martha's arc and I'm glad it played out the way it did. While I liked Nina's perspective on the plot after she went back to Russia. It also felt very disconnected from the show and was going on for no reason.

I don't think they will try to recruit Henry on the show especially after everything going on with Paige. Although I always got the sense that Henry had moral/ethical standards more similar to his mother and Paige was more similar to her father.

While I like the boldness, I personally felt Nina and Martha's arcs should've ended a long time ago. I was wrong about Martha's arc and I'm glad it played out the way it did. While I liked Nina's perspective on the plot after she went back to Russia. It also felt very disconnected from the show and was going on for no reason.

I don't think they will try to recruit Henry on the show especially after everything going on with Paige. Although I always got the sense that Henry had moral/ethical standards more similar to his mother and Paige was more similar to her father.

I think Martha's plot ended way better than Nina's... provided Martha's plot is really over. The Nina in Russia stuff was some of the weakest this show has done.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
They should have just killed Nina when she was exposed. I didn't want her to die, but the the stuff in Russia was pointless. Feels like they chickened out, searched for a story, didn't find one, and killed her. She was already dead when she was shipped to Russia. And it actually weakened her character in my eyes. I guess it was humanizing, but her decision was dumb.

scabro

The Korean guy works at the facility that creates all those deadly viruses.

This is something I realized only just this episode.

This Korean stuff is the worst plotline this show has ever had.

i couldnt disagree more

i didn't expect elizabeth destroying her only friendship to hit me this hard. as soon as she called him up i kind of felt my stomach drop

the character development has been great

Lengthy Frank Langella interview with a brief note about The Americans at the end:
DEADLINE: Let’s talk for a minute about The Americans.

LANGELLA: People are zealous about it.

DEADLINE: Was Gabriel a role easy for you to fall into?

LANGELLA: It’s in Brooklyn, I live in Manhattan, I’m not in a trailer in Burbank. What could be better? I like living home. Well, in television you don’t know where they’re going week to week. They don’t show you. At one point I thought they were going to kill me because there was a scene where I sort of got down on the floor and said, “I’m sorry. I need to sit down. I don’t feel well.” I thought oh, the next episode would be that I was dead. But so far they haven’t killed me. It’s a good year.

Also, I forgot that he was hunky Dracula back in the day:

sd19SGE.jpg

Top Bottom