• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Why would killing Gaad create a shit storm at the FBI? He's been retired for months, and as far as anyone knows it could have simply been a burglary gone wrong. It's certainly not the Soviet's style (they'd probably dress it up as a suicide or simply make him disappear).

It's still something they would investigate. They would have to determine it was a robbery gone wrong. Nothing was stolen though so it won't look like that. I doubt they would believe a suiside while he's on vacation with his wife too.

Heh, nice gif from the IndieWire review:

dtsFbYw.gif

-griffy-

Banned
Why would killing Gaad create a shit storm at the FBI? He's been retired for months, and as far as anyone knows it could have simply been a burglary gone wrong. It's certainly not the Soviet's style (they'd probably dress it up as a suicide or simply make him disappear).

His death is going to be considered to have happened under very suspicious circumstances, and knowing his history and line of work that really means something specific.

Zaph

The office was bugged for months. His secretary married a KGB agent. And now he's died under suspicious circumstances on foreign soil.

There absolutely will be a storm of shit at the FBI

Sloane

Banned
I'm not quite sure what to think of this season so far. The Martha stuff was great, the family drama is amazing (as always), the acting is top-notch, and all the deaths / send offs make it seem like shit is hitting the fan... but somehow it doesn't feel like it?

I don't buy the whole Pastor Tim situation for a second for example, he and his wife have known their secret for the last nine months or so and we're supposed to believe they wouldn't act on it? I mean, as much as I love the show, it has always required a lot of suspension of disbelief, but that storyline is just super odd and it's really not putting the pressure on them as it should. Also not a fan of that bio weapon storyline which feels like it's going nowhere and has virtually wasted the great Dylan Baker so far.

Dunno. I don't want to shit on the show because I still really do enjoy watching it and it hasn't done a lot wrong but I wish they'd get the ball rolling a bit more, give Stan something to do other than play games with Henry. Maybe the death of Gaad will change that (Probably, although I have no fucking clue what the Russians were trying to achieve approaching him. Turn him? :jnc) but so far the season hasn't done much in terms of forwarding the plot and putting more pressure on Philip and Elizabeth -- maybe even the opposite.

Disgraced

Doesn't matter, everyone will forget once
Henry awkwardly asks about Mrs. Beeman again.
Oh dear.

tumblr_nknyisE3mQ1ru2xb6o2_500.gif
tumblr_nknyisE3mQ1ru2xb6o3_500.gif
It might've even just been a simple like, "well you basically got fired from the FBI, would you like to sell some secrets to us? we're willing to offer you a lot of money."
That's what I assumed. Those goons acted like intimidators not killers. "Sorry. Sorry..."
It may not, (though I doubt that the FBI would let it go so easily, especially in the era we're dealing with) but what it will do is cause a shit storm with Stan Beeman.
This is the key. His motivations to find the enemy and be paranoid are mounting.
I think she's actually working marks or something? I'm not sure she was actually looking for Henry so much as trying to get info about Stan and buddy up with his son. And earlier when she put on the waterworks for Alice, that seemed like trying to solidify being on her good side. Think she's playing people for her own benefit.
I'm with you. Maybe it's not completely intentional, a teenage girl's motives are hard to read, but because of that scene late in the episode now we know she certainly has it in her. If she's not playing people now she might start soon. She's kind of a badass. Maybe not the wig-wearing, brutal-murdering kind, but a detective and manipulator for sure.

And her and Matthew is finally going to happen, isn't it? Oh boy.
Heh, nice gif from the IndieWire review:

dtsFbYw.gif
Perfect.

jett

D-Member
This season has honestly been moving at snail's pace.

Anyway, what did they even want with Gaad? It makes very little sense.

Geist-

Makes perfect sense to me. He was forced into retirement, they were probably just going to ask if he wanted to spill any secrets from his former employer. They definitely didn't seem like they were going to hurt anyone.

That last scene btw, best part of the show. How spies aren't just emotionless sociopaths like James bond, what they do to people affects them on an emotional level. They do what they have to do, but they're still people. Love it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Also, isn't the killing of Gaad a big no-no in the intelligence community, even during the Cold War? I think that's why those guys looked so remorseful and maybe even a little scared.

Ristifer

I love the slower pace. Allows for character growth that feels natural without the shock value that other shows need to rely on. It's showing how these missions, which would be normal for them under different circumstances, come with personal consequences and significant collateral damage.

Feels like there's actual weight to these characters. Other shows would just get rid of Pastor Tim, Alice, Martha, etc., without much thought, and then bring in another problematic character/situation to make up for them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Henry's only part in the episode being him throwing the tennis ball in the garage and annoying everyone was perfect
He was around just before Alice came to the house. Elizabeth was yelling at him for not clearing his plate.

BTM

I love the slower pace. Allows for character growth that feels natural without the shock value that other shows need to rely on. It's showing how these missions, which would be normal for them under different circumstances, come with personal consequences and significant collateral damage.

Feels like there's actual weight to these characters. Other shows would just get rid of Pastor Tim, Alice, Martha, etc., without much thought, and then bring in another problematic character/situation to make up for them.

Yep, loving the pacing this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was another fantastic episode. I was surprised to see Kimmy again - I thought they were just going to sweep that storyline under the rug but then of course The Americans doesn't really do that, do they? Also, RIIP Gaad.

Those Russian women are tough.

Russian Moms Are Tough!

And is that Taub as the new boss? Can't wait for him to assume a bigger role.

Yep. Ever since House, I've had a hard time seeing him as anyone other than Taub so it'll be interesting to see how well he fits in here.

The KGB would not leave the wife as a loose end silly girl.

"And does she really think we'd be so stupid that we'd leave Alice?"

Feels like there's actual weight to these characters.

Agreed. The measured storytelling and character work is one of the hallmarks of the series.

Other shows would just get rid of Pastor Tim, Alice, Martha, etc., without much thought, and then bring in another problematic character/situation to make up for them.

Precisely. I mean, can you imagine a version of The Americans coming from the Game of Thrones writers?

Maybe it's just me but I've felt a lot more has been going on this season than prior seasons. I mean how many seasons did they tease Paige finding out that they were spies before they actually told her? One thing I admire about the Americans is that they take plots past the point normal shows would. For example most shows would've finished Nina's plot after she was sent back to Russia. Martha's conclusion also was very tense and suspenseful. I honestly felt since the start of the show she wasn't making it out alive so that played out much differently than I was expecting. The fact that Pastor Tim and Alice also still being alive and their plot continuing is another plot that normally would've been finished a while ago on other shows. Anyway, I think this season is more focused on personal relationships than spy missions which is more so what is turning people off. However, I'd like to point out that this is the first season where even one major character like Nina, Martha and Gadd has left the show.

Sloane

Banned
Maybe it's just me but I've felt a lot more has been going on this season than prior seasons. I mean how many seasons did they tease Paige finding out that they were spies before they actually told her? One thing I admire about the Americans is that they take plots past the point normal shows would. For example most shows would've finished Nina's plot after she was sent back to Russia. Martha's conclusion also was very tense and suspenseful. I honestly felt since the start of the show she wasn't making it out alive so that played out much differently than I was expecting. The fact that Pastor Tim and Alice also still being alive and their plot continuing is another plot that normally would've been finished a while ago on other shows.
I think, for me, the issue is that everything seems to be going a bit too well for them. At the end of last season / beginning of this season, it looked like shit was hitting the fan: Pastor Tim and his wife knew their secret, Martha found out who her husband really was and saw his face, Gaad had seen Philip, I believe, it seemed like Stan and the Russian dude might work to get Nina out, Philips relationship to Stan was strained, things with the Center weren't looking good.

Right now, it's pretty much all peachy though, they seem to be okay with the Pastor knowing, Martha is gone, Gaad is gone, Nina is gone, Stan hasn't really been doing anything, even the Center has backed off, and so far there isn't any downside too it. There's no "they seem to succeed but they are actually making things much worse" which you'd expect if they are working towards Stan eventually finding out their secret.

I'm sure things will changed a bit now that Gaad is dead but it's like the end of the last season promised a bit more than what was actually carried out this year. I don't mind a slow building plot but I'm kind of missing the feeling that it's building towards something here.

I think, for me, the issue is that everything seems to be going a bit too well for them. At the end of last season / beginning of this season, it looked like shit was hitting the fan: Pastor Tim and his wife knew their secret, Martha found out who her husband really was and saw his face, Gaad had seen Philip, I believe, it seemed like Stan and the Russian dude might work to get Nina out, Philips relationship to Stan was strained, things with the Center weren't looking good.

Right now, it's pretty much all peachy though, they seem to be okay with the Pastor knowing, Martha is gone, Gaad is gone, Nina is gone, Stan hasn't really been doing anything, even the Center has backed off, and so far there isn't any downside too it. There's no "they seem to succeed but they are actually making things much worse" which you'd expect if they are working towards Stan eventually finding out their secret.

I'm sure things will changed a bit now that Gaad is dead but it's like the end of the last season promised a bit more than what was actually carried out this year. I don't mind a slow building plot but I'm kind of missing the feeling that it's building towards something here.
It's only been 2 episodes of everything being "okay". The first 8 episodes of this season was filled with tension, drama and the sense that shit was about to hit the fan at any moment especially with the Martha stuff. It all reached a boiling point in episode 8. I expect shit to hit the fan towards the end of this season. While it's a huge stretch, I wonder if Stan will connect that he told Phillip to the KGB finding Gaad's location.

Alpende

That last scene btw, best part of the show. How spies aren't just emotionless sociopaths like James bond, what they do to people affects them on an emotional level. They do what they have to do, but they're still people. Love it.

I like that too. Elizabeth has shown her emotional side just like Philip has and I like that. She was portrayed as a hardened spy badass without almost no emotion regarding other targets so having her show emotion was great.

Sloane

Banned
It's only been 2 episodes of everything being "okay". The first 8 episodes of this season was filled with tension, drama and the sense that shit was about to hit the fan at any moment especially with the Martha stuff.
I liked the Martha stuff but to me it never really felt like this might be the point when Stan finally gets a clue of what is going on next door. Philips personal feelings aside, the Martha stuff (as great as it was) was resolved pretty neatly and they put a few other issues (like Pastor Tim which seemed like the most pressing matter at the end of season 3) on the back burner for it.

The main theme of this season seems to be Philip and Elizabeth coming to terms with what they are, which is fine (even though Elizabeth's storyline feels a bit like it is mirroring Philip's storylines from last season with Kimmy and Martha), I just wish the external pressure hadn't almost come to a standstill in the meantime.

I feel bad for Gaad. Fired for no fault of his own and then unceremoniously killed off in a cottage in Thailand. Pretty tragic end to his story arc.

Paige needs to grow up and understand the gravity of her mistake. If a year wasn't enough to figure it out, you now have Alice making explicit threats spelling out those consequences. Elizabeth should have shut her down when she started having a tantrum about leaving America. It's also starting to feel that it's unlikely that the KGB would have left their agents compromised for so long just to protect the feelings of a child.

Not sure what is happening with Oleg's plot. And I really hope Stan somehow gets back on the trail of the spies.

Ristifer

It's only been 2 episodes of everything being "okay". The first 8 episodes of this season was filled with tension, drama and the sense that shit was about to hit the fan at any moment especially with the Martha stuff. It all reached a boiling point in episode 8. I expect shit to hit the fan towards the end of this season. While it's a huge stretch, I wonder if Stan will connect that he told Phillip to the KGB finding Gaad's location.
I saw this same question on another website and I never really thought about that. Not sure if that'll be connected at all, but who else would've known Gaad's location? Could be interesting going forward.

Mashing

Dunno. I don't want to shit on the show because I still really do enjoy watching it and it hasn't done a lot wrong but I wish they'd get the ball rolling a bit more, give Stan something to do other than play games with Henry. Maybe the death of Gaad will change that (Probably, although I have no fucking clue what the Russians were trying to achieve approaching him. Turn him? :jnc) but so far the season hasn't done much in terms of forwarding the plot and putting more pressure on Philip and Elizabeth -- maybe even the opposite.

Really? The events surround Martha and Young-Hee is not putting pressure on Philip and Elizabeth? They've been pressured the entire season. That's what this season has been all about. I'm sure the fact that pastor Tim and his wife have knowledge of their identities will play a larger role going further (I'm thinking the Russian do something reprehensible which finally convinces them to inform on them).

Blader

Why has this show recently become obsessed with lingering on Oleg's sex faces?

Not sure what the consensus among the rest of you is, but I feel like this is the show's best season so far. And I can definitely feel the screws tightening and things beginning to unravel.

Makes perfect sense to me. He was forced into retirement, they were probably just going to ask if he wanted to spill any secrets from his former employer. They definitely didn't seem like they were going to hurt anyone.

The great thing about that scene, imo, is Elizabeth could have said either yes or no and I would've felt it was completely in character. I can totally believe why she would want to Gabriel to ask, and at the same time, I could also see her just gritting her teeth and getting on with it.

Why has this show recently become obsessed with lingering on Oleg's sex faces?

Not sure what the consensus among the rest of you is, but I feel like this is the show's best season so far. And I can definitely feel the screws tightening and things beginning to unravel.

The great thing about that scene, imo, is Elizabeth could have said either yes or no and I would've felt it was completely in character. I can totally believe why she would want to Gabriel to ask, and at the same time, I could also see her just gritting her teeth and getting on with it.

Yes! I had that exact thought.

Ristifer

Exactly how I felt about it, too. Love Elizabeth's arc this season.

Sloane

Banned
Really? The events surround Martha and Young-Hee is not putting pressure on Philip and Elizabeth? They've been pressured the entire season. That's what this season has been all about.
But the resolution of the Martha storyline hasn't made things worse for them, quite the opposite actually. At the end of season 3, it looked like Martha could be Philip's downfall or at least what finally steers Stan / the FBI into the right direction but after everything was said and done, they seem to be even more clueless than before.

As for Young-Hee, I don't really see how she is a danger to them? The conflict is all internal.

Maybe I just missed it..but how exactly does Elizabeth intend to get the access code (or was it a keycard)?

Break up the marriage and then...?

Ristifer

But the resolution of the Martha storyline hasn't made things worse for them, quite the opposite actually. At the end of season 3, it looked like Martha could be Philip's downfall or at least what finally steers Stan / the FBI into the right direction but after everything was said and done, they seem to be even more clueless than before.
I don't really think the point of the Martha storyline was to ultimately connect the FBI to the Jennings'. It was more of a tragic element of one character and how her life was pretty much crushed by her allegiance to her love. That's why they have the photos and the backstory about her abortion.

Still, I think the leads on Clark, and Philip meeting Aderholt will eventually catch up with them. But we'll see. Can't really expect them to put it all together yet, or else it's pretty much over. They'll string it along as much as possible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Maybe Henry and Kimmy can bond over their preference for older partners.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, wasn't expecting to even see Gaad this episode. Guess that will really get Stan going. Thought that the Kimmy scene was pretty telling, Philip talking to her as a Paige surrogate (asking about boys, telling her to keep her father's secret, etc). The Elizabeth scenes were all fairly depressing, and Keri Russell really nailed that last scene. Loved the Henry bits, it's nice to have a bit of levity here and there. Down to three left, can't wait to see what's in store for us.

So, my dvr didn't record the first 15 minutes or so of last week's episode. I was able to figure out what was going on with the pastor and wife and the recording, but what's up with bringing back the high school girl Phillip is working? Had he been maintaining her all along, or was there some specific reason he renewed the contact? And from this thread, I guess I missed some Ruskie sex too.

I really felt like I had skipped an episode or something until I figured out my recording was missing a chunk of time.

So, my dvr didn't record the first 15 minutes or so of last week's episode. I was able to figure out what was going on with the pastor and wife and the recording, but what's up with bringing back the high school girl Phillip is working? Had he been maintaining her all along, or was there some specific reason he renewed the contact?
Yes, she was an ongoing source. When they got their 'time off', Gabriel mentioned that they had to keep a couple of operations going, namely William, Young Hee, and Kimmie.

Oh, I'd remembered Gabriel saying they would maintain ongoing ops, but I'd forgotten he'd mentioned them specifically. Thanks.

Her dad was working Afghanistan, right?

Top Bottom