• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

DryvBy

I could be wrong here since I didn’t play AC game since AC2 on 360 but isn’t the series sci-f? I even heard it has magic artifacts and fantasy elements…..why exactly needs to be accurate to the history?

Also it’s not like Japan doesn’t do the same….I mean I’m currently playing Jeann D’Arc and LOVING the game but it’s not exactly super accurate to actual history since it has demons, magic and even fantasy races like elves and beasts.
Because they kept it in a sense of reality. It's like Bill and Ted. You're revisiting history and how it feels like you're revisiting reality is they get some stuff correct like culture, setting, something the historical character did.

If Bill and Ted went back to the caveman days and they lived in an area that looked like Vegas, you don't feel like they went back to the caveman days. It just breaks the immersion of being in a different time period.

If Bill and Ted went back to the caveman days and some of the cavemen are a bit silly, it would just fit the series but keep the idea they're back in time.

Doom85

But please for the love of god Doom85 Doom85 no more minions gif it's too much cringe, even for this thread.

Angry I Can Do It GIF by hero0fwar

Nah, LOL, it’s cool. I don’t even like Minions (that second film looked so obnoxious), just needed a mic drop gif. The second dude was clearly just a troll (not even good at it, you could tell he was getting butthurt as he went on), but I can’t tell if the first dude was a troll or legitimately believed the insanity he was ranting about. But it was fun seeing them both lose their minds and resort to petty insults as pretty much all people like them end up doing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. It's not only Japanese gamers who think it's stupid.

2. Guaranteed nothing will be done. It'll be the same game promoted as released. At most they'll do some negligible tweaks and claim there were giant changes so give them a break

Kokoloko85

smh, good lord man. Unnecessary but ok lol

I'm not debating how the pirate got there, I'm merely pointing out that you purposely tried distance that idea in your little list when you listed the setting and the race of the character.

Its clearly because you fucking know that you can just be like "Italy setting, Italian character, French setting, French Character, Carri....oh, wait, um" and then fucking list some weird shit like

sir, we clearly know why suddenly, you don't want to list that setting and race of the character.....you fucking boiled it down to WHAT they were doing to avoid that.

I'm not debating you on if a fucking pirate existed, my point is that the setting of that area, did not have a main character THAT ORIGINATED IN THAT SETTING.

He traveled there, sure, he is a pirate to raid and steal and loot, ok. No one is debating any of that, but clearly you can build that bridge of historical fiction and make a story where he goes to those islands he is not native to.

Even in Valhalla, the character isn't native to those lands, as to why you state "Viking land" cause clearly it doesn't fit the narrative you placed above.

Why is this some wild concept when we throw that into Japan? Person came from a different place, to go do assassin things in a different place....we already have that in several AC titles, I don't see that as some wild thing to try to cover up by naming a whole ass setting "Viking land" cause you don't want to list some different group of people, its not that fucking serious man and its weird you even did that as if we wouldn't look thru that list and realize such a weird change.

Look, its ok to be wrong, its ok to realize maybe this was done before and Shadows already fits something they've done.

Nope and stop making it sound like someone fucking disagreeing with you is "trolling" as I don't think you are trolling cause you have a different opinion then my own, have that respect sir.

I highly fucking doubt that as you easily could have looked it up and it just happens that those exact 2 games are settings where the main character is not native to those lands

That is why you singled them out and tried to boil it down to "Viking land" and "Pirate world" cause clearly saying the race of the character and setting of the game wouldn't match.

So....I'm very much aware of why you cherry picked those 2 to have amnesia on lol

So look Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 I have no issue with an AC having a character that is a different demographic then the actual setting, if it can be explained, I don't really care tbh. My issue was never with Pirates, my issue was that you could accept that, yet Shadows doesn't fit this despite it being based on a factual person that existed. AC IV, Valhalla and Shadows have settings and characters that make sense based on circumstances of the time of how they get to the setting of the game.

smh, AC has never really sold that much in Japan as that has never been some region that would determine a win or loss for the publisher.

AC Shadows when it opened for pre-orders was sitting at number 1 on Amazon JP...so......I think you need to realize most don't care about some of the things you saying, like majority don't care lol Look at Battlefront 2015, look at Far Cry 5, look at Valhalla, sir...set aside some hate or bias or internet shit for a bit and realize NeoGaf will not determine AC Shadow's numbers man, I don't see any evidence AC Shadows will suffer in Japan, its likely going to become the best selling AC in Japan at this point as I don't even recall another AC debuting number 1 on pre-orders in that country on Amazon, as this might be a first tbh. I also agree with Doom85 Doom85 , this very much is creeping into that " jack thompson" area.
I wasnt doing anything on purpose or purpose amnesia. Im sure the majority of fans dont care what I say or think.
I hope its the best AC ever for your sake and the others. And for my sake I hope its the best combat and gameplay so I can play it. I dont have a personal hate or want the game cancelled. Im just observing from the last games, which the majority I played. Im not swerving anything on purpose lol.
Whether this game had a chinese assassin, European trader or african warrior, I would say the same thing.

All I said was settings. And the setting make sense for those characters. Non of those characters are a rare out of place thing From the list I showed

So AC Black Flag. I said pirate world, setting whatever, because its in a pirate setting with multiple islands. I didnt know the exact location for the game, I dont think there is just from what I remember.

From what I remember, Its a pirate setting and you go to multiple islands, not one. Cuba, Jamiaca, other islands?? I cant remember. Historically some of these islands had natives, some of them were not occupied at all before the europeans.
For me, its a pirate setting, pirate story and pirate character. Im not thinking of the origins of the natives of some of those islands. Pirates could be from anywhere. Your not playing anything but a Pirate so it suits it.

And Valhala, I havent played it. But isnt it set between Norway and England? Norway is a Viking setting. England is a country Viking raided Along with others. I thought there was other islands between the 2 places. Thats why said Viking land, Its partly a joke because theres plenty of seas.
The story is about Vikings invading England. Either way the setting is Viking. Whether I put Viking worlds or whatever, its a viking setting and character.
An English man fighting against the Viking would of made sense too. Having Ezio, Altair or Evo woudnt be right for the setting.

The reason I said trolling because I didnt know if you are genuinely nitpicking or saying Edward Kenway isnt a suitable pirate for a pirate setting. Or just joking

All the AC’s had a character that is the norm for the setting, events and so on. AC4 if you really want to argue could be the exception. Not in my opinion though.Valhala is set between Norway and the viking invasion on England, so its suits it fine.
I would be saying the same thing if the main characters was from China, Europe or anywhere not a regular Japanese Samurai etc/Ronin/ Assassin etc. But its done, Im really not that bothered by it.
Anyway, I hope its great. Im not a Nobunaga fan, so will interesting how they do the story.

Doom85

When they all stupid and contribute to nothing other than spam, yes. I will be sure to remind them.

Glad you think that should be the higher priority to report rather than reporting that other guy screaming that “race relations are pretty much beyond repair” and “black people have concluded everyone hates them for no reason” and other crazy shit like that.

Closing Arrested Development GIF

Also, a gif being “stupid” is entirely subjective. I‘m pretty sure any mod worth a damn would laugh their ass off at reading a report that said, “this gif is dumb!” You don’t like my vibe, learn how the ignore button works. Don’t worry, it’s a pretty basic feature, I’m confident you can figure it out.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I wasnt doing anything on purpose or purpose amnesia
I understand, but you can see how one might react that the only 2 games missing a location to match the character are the 2 games where that character didn't originate from that setting.
r, Its a pirate setting and you go to multiple islands, not one. Cuba, Jamiaca, other islands?
True, but the character isn't native to either of those places, which is why I brought up that its not unusual for AC to do this as ACIV and Valhalla do this.
All the AC’s had a character that is the norm for the setting, events and so on
True, I don't disagree, merely adding that Shadows would fit that as Africans exist in Japan during the 1500s and the exact person the game is about, factually was in that place.
The reason I said trolling because I didnt know if you are genuinely nitpicking or saying Edward Kenway isnt a suitable pirate for a pirate setting. Or just joking
lolz, I joke a lot, but I'd never troll something like this, so if I bring up, I generally mean what I say and I'll always accept what you are saying as your real opinion as I owe you that respect.

no worries. I read your whole post and it was thoughtfully done.

Kenpachii

I didn't even knew they have aways online requirement. Is there any multiplayer component on it?

Valhalla origin odyssey had picture sharing map. So when u open your map u could see other people's pictures made in area's. I actually like that feature, made a lot of pictures myself. People can vote on it if they like it and have a daily contest on what picture is the best.

no clue about shadow tho.

SJRB

Gold Member

tl;dr one white guy wrote a book about Yasuke based on hearsay and assumptions without any credible sources, went on wikipedia to write articles as facts while using his own book as source and this is what brought forth the Yasuke myth. Every article and book uses this one guy's book as source.

It's literally a story made up by one guy propagated by devious Wikipedia manipulation. And now you have people defending Yasuke as if questioning the story is some affront and a hate crime, lmao.

Amazing.

tl;dr one white guy wrote a book about Yasuke based on hearsay and assumptions without any credible sources, went on wikipedia to write articles as facts while using his own book as source and this is what brought forth the Yasuke myth. Every article and book uses this one guy's book as source.

It's literally a story made up by one guy propagated by devious Wikipedia manipulation. And now you have people defending Yasuke as if questioning the story is some affront and a hate crime, lmao.

Amazing.

Yep, it was bullshit piled upon bullshit all in the service for one foreign scam artist in academia and to sell his fiction back to the West that were salivating for a story like this. They had him as their singular trusted source and just took it for a country mile.

Yah know when people cry cultural appropriation? This is the worst possible form of it as its intent was to profit while slandering an entire culture.

And it was all done for money. Western companies lapped it up without consulting other scholars (perhaps Japanese themselves) cause they wanted it to be true.

Last edited:

Saber

Amazing.

Yeah and its probably the historian they were taking source from.

hinch7

Uh oh...
People are tired of pandering.. who'd have thought. Guess Ubi will learn the hard way. Also trust them to use Wiki as a source, and that other 'scholar' with very questionable qualifications.

But yeah good on Japan for calling this shit out. Shameful that western media has come this far and have no clue other than to appropriate other cultures for their benefit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People are tired of pandering.. who'd have thought. Guess Ubi will learn the hard way. Also trust them to use Wiki as a source, and that other 'scholar' with very questionable qualifications.

But yeah good on Japan for calling this shit out. Shameful that western media has come this far and have no clue other than to appropiate other cultures for their benefit.
One thing that would solve a lot of the political slant or skews to tons of lead characters being female or minority is simply just give gamers a choice. If an RPG can handle a ton of character creation sliders, is it that hard to allow that in games? Sports do. RPGs do. Heck, even some dude bro shooters do too. Even some old ass arcadey shooters have different character to choose from.

Even at a high level, just give a handful of gender/ethnic sliders. And thatd be good enough to cover all bases.

A good game and story can handle [insert character here]. In ES games, I always take the Argonian Lizardman (looks cool, has natural buffs and swim ability). Story moves along fine. Other people will take human or catface dude. Still works.

Last edited:

hinch7

One thing that would solve a lot of the political slant or skews to tons of lead characters being female or minority is simply just give gamers a choice. If an RPG can handle a ton of character creation sliders, is it that hard to allow that in games? Sports do. RPGs do. Heck, even some dude bro shooters do too. Even some old ass arcadey shooters have different character to choose from.

Even at a high level, just give a handful of gender/ethnic sliders. And thatd be good enough to cover all bases.
I doubt that would happen. It would take time and cost a lot of money. The western media also hates portraying caucasian males for some reason. Even though they make up a huge amount of the gamers worldwide. And anyone who disagree's gets gaslighted and labelled as 'chuds' or whatever nonsense terms they like to create. Even games that have selectable race/sex's like Mass Effect, Cyberpunk you get a female lead in the front cover. Its just the way it is. Unless people vote with their wallets.

Having selectable races is a good option but doesn't fix the root of the problem that is the developers working on them. A lot of these AAA companies I've seen just have no taste when it comes to appropriating race or gender or whatever and have an agenda to push. People just want games without all the politcal nonsense. Idc what race/gender a person is in a game I just want play something that have creative intent in their design and not for obvious brownie points. Which is why I'm enjoying a lot more games from the east, they don't care for any of that garbage.

For the SW game, good luck to Ubi. No one wants to see or play another girl boss/mary Sue in Star Wars. The overwhelming majority of SW fans are geeky males and aren't buying into the new stuff. Which is why the new movies suck and shows are tanking. And yet we're getting a full blown game on thatm plus no Jedi or lightsaber in sight.

Last edited:

Amazing.

Asmon's last 2 videos on AC Shadows have hit YouTube's trending list as well:

bNd2UBm.png

TDMiRB9.png

I could be wrong here since I didn’t play AC game since AC2 on 360 but isn’t the series sci-f? I even heard it has magic artifacts and fantasy elements…..why exactly needs to be accurate to the history?

Also it’s not like Japan doesn’t do the same….I mean I’m currently playing Jeann D’Arc and LOVING the game but it’s not exactly super accurate to actual history since it has demons, magic and even fantasy races like elves and beasts.
The argument I've heard is this is pretty much the first game in the series without a fictional protagonist. Generally, you have a fictional main character and then guest appearances from historical figures who help the protagonist in some way or another. But the culture and setting are pretty much always only represented by fictional protagonists from that place and time.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Eh, it doesn't contradict anything we know about him. Nobunaga was also gay so some fun opportunities there.
Please, do not spread misinformation. There’s no evidence for that besides a lot of hearsay and rumors. Regardless, this would have made him bisexual, not gay.
Where is this info coming from? Not doubting you, per se, I'd just never heard of it.
Some ancient literature depicts the relationship between him and Ranmaru as having been romantic. It’s not too rare. Still, there is no proof of that whatsoever.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Please, do not spread misinformation. There’s no evidence for that besides a lot of hearsay and rumors. Regardless, this would have made him bisexual, not gay.

Some ancient literature depicts the relationship between him and Ranmaru as having been romantic. It’s not too rare. Still, there is no proof of that whatsoever.
Lockley's next work will substandiate it, no doubt, and what more proof could you need? =P

Last edited:

CSJ

Thats the thing. I don't believe real historians have anything on Yasuke, they probably went to this guy thinking he was reliable to their cause or something.
I honestly need to know if Yu Hirayama used Lockley's stuff, he has gone on social media to counter all the claims it's mostly all made up but all we have are "trust me bro".
The argument that credentials alone are enough is bullshit, it's like the world doesn't have any professionals making any mistakes ever with some people.

Lokaum D+

Where is this info coming from? Not doubting you, per se, I'd just never heard of it.
its coming from hearsay and fanfics there is no evidence of nothing, the only thing for certain is that Oda was married and had children, he was definitely not "gay" he was at best "bi", but its was very common back then that people in power just fucked with everyone they wanted.

Last edited:

EDMIX

One thing that would solve a lot of the political slant or skews to tons of lead characters being female or minority is simply just give gamers a choice.

Sure, that makes sense if its an RPG, but you can't please everyone. If someone thinks this demographic or that being a game is some "political slant" , they can argue this about the setting too, they can argue this about the theme of the game

We going to have gamers choice a make your own setting too?

So that might work for you and I for Elder Scrolls, that is not "good enough" for those that think including or removing some element is a conspiracy.

Look at the Baldur's Gate 3 comments.
at Oda was married and had children, he was definitely not "gay" he was at best "bi",
lol being married doesn't really mean much to define this tbh, but bi at best might be the best answer we'd get lol Look up Mori Ranmaru. Like Gaiff Gaiff said, not much proof, but enough to create the narrative either way tbh.

Thats the thing. I don't believe real historians have anything on Yasuke, they probably went to this guy thinking he was reliable to their cause or something.
lol huh? Well....that isn't true at all. The information about Yasuke has existed for literally hundreds of years BEFORE "this guy" was born, so what the fuck are you talking about?

"This is not the first time that Yasuke has appeared in popular culture. Author Kurusu Yoshio published the children’s book Kuro-suke about the samurai in 1968"

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff20834b2-bb87-4259-ad2b-b9bf5c377a10_715x493.jpeg

So....the idea of Yasuke being a black samurai was not started by "this guy" ,it was a known idea for generations as the sources that talk about this are hundreds of years old, which means he isn't even the fucking FIRST person to make that claim or put together that information or anything of the sort.

So...who was Kurusu Yoshio going to that he thought was "reliable" in 1960s?

Braag

Amazing.

Using your own mostly made up book as source for Wikipedia is a stroke of genius for more authenticity and book sales. Dude has probably made some good bank with it.

EDMIX

thats willllllld!

Pre-order cancelled!

edit -Target has steelbook version as a pre-order bonus

(pre-order secured lol)

GUEST_f359e19c-f78f-441f-88b6-a3ad1ae0dde7

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
thats willllllld!

Pre-order cancelled!

edit -Target has steelbook version as a pre-order bonus

(pre-order secured lol)

GUEST_f359e19c-f78f-441f-88b6-a3ad1ae0dde7

Imagine having feudal Japan as a setting and the most creative thing you can come up with is a close up of the characters with a deep red transparent layer over them.

I can go out there tonight with the themes and materials they got and make myself 25 better covers. Tonight! In two hours!

EDMIX

Imagine having feudal Japan as a setting and the most creative thing you can come up with is a close up of the characters with a deep red transparent layer over them.

I can go out there tonight with the themes and materials they got and make myself 25 better covers. Tonight! In two hours!

lol you probably could, but I'm ok with the simplistic design.

Top Bottom