• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
best idea....tirerack.com never fails..and much cheaper..

another good idea when some dealership do the "buy 3 get one free deal"

Considering it's a company that was founded by guys who loved to rally race cars but couldn't find the right size tires at the right price, I have to say from my time dealing with them I would recommend them.

i have heard good things about Discount Tire Direct... they will match any price, charge no taxes online and often cheaper than tire rack.

Much obliged, thanks.

Just looked up the specs on the FR S/86.

Sorry to jump on the hate train, but LMFAO at 200hp and 151 lb/ft torque at 6K.

$25K plus $5-6K for aftermarket turbo + tuning to give it power that isn't utterly laughable for a sportscar = 30K+

25K will get you a standard WRX with 265hp and 244 lb/ft torque and 34K will get you an STI with 305hp and a massive (for a daily driver) 290lb/ft torque

Not to mention AWD is much more practical than RWD for people who live where it snows, if we're talking daily drivers here.

I have no idea what is appealing about this car unless it's designed to be a modders/tuners car. Doesn't sound like money well spent at all.

FT86 = joy to drive through corners. A WRX is a fat, sloppy SUV in comparison. WRXs have crappy handling unless you upgrade tons of suspension bits to balance it out, put better tires on, etc. STI is better, but still isn't going to be as fun to drive as an FT86. STI is fun to drive in a straight line (AFTER MODS), but even then they are not really that exciting. WRX/STI does not even compare in terms of being a true sports ca

FT86 is a tight, experienced pussy that feels mindblowing and makes you want to cum 2 minutes in, but you refuse to because it just feels so damn good and you don't want the ride to stop.

WRX/STI is a sloppy, fat pussy that you can pound the shit out of but never comes close providing the same feeling of pleasure or ecstasy, and you have to force yourself to climax with.

you are having really hard time understanding the difference between EPA official numbers and what you got in the car. GTS official EPA was 23 MPG.... FR-S with more power, torque, safety, rwd gets between 25 and 28 mpg combined.

Well like I said...where did you find it?

I had a 6 speed GTS and I never realize it was that bad of a mpg....23mpg!!

I never meant to compare the performance...just wanted to butt-in with the mpg thing..

on my GT-R it shows that I am getting 22mpg .....that cant be right......I my mind is blown!!

now it makes me wonder what my other car mpg is...

THE:MILKMAN

Question about the Scion/GT86. Does the $25k price include all taxes over there?

If it does you are getting a damn bargain because the GT86 here in the UK starts at $39.5k doing a straight conversion!

Even taking off the 20% VAT and the "on the road" charges we have here, it still costs $31.5k.

I would really love to have one but it is now way out of my reach:(

I never meant to compare the performance...just wanted to butt-in with the mpg thing..

on my GT-R it shows that I am getting 22mpg .....that cant be right......I my mind is blown!!

I don't believe it (well you don't believe it too, lol), the GTR is a gas guzzler.

grendelrt

hilarious.

My friends dad owns this and yes it's real:

397059_10150493812278918_784798917_8720966_850915947_n.jpg

E34 M5 Touring <3

This dude did a full conversion, so hot (hopefully pics show up)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

FT86 = joy to drive through corners. A WRX is a fat, sloppy SUV in comparison. WRXs have crappy handling unless you upgrade tons of suspension bits to balance it out, put better tires on, etc. STI is better, but still isn't going to be as fun to drive as an FT86. STI is fun to drive in a straight line (AFTER MODS), but even then they are not really that exciting. WRX/STI does not even compare in terms of being a true sports ca

FT86 is a tight, experienced pussy that feels mindblowing and makes you want to cum 2 minutes in, but you refuse to because it just feels so damn good and you don't want the ride to stop.

WRX/STI is a sloppy, fat pussy that you can pound the shit out of but never comes close providing the same feeling of pleasure or ecstasy, and you have to force yourself to climax with.

Even if the handling is as good as you describe that still doesn't compensate for 151 lb/ft at 6K rpm IMO. Even with the power to
weight ratio factored in, your average full sized family sedan with a 6 would still have way better acceleration than this "sports car." hell, even a Jetta TDI would probably smoke it in the acceleration department.

Forums user "LowEndTorque" does not enjoy high-strung, average powered engines. I am stunned.

Lol :)

And on that subject, it looks like the 86 doesn't have any low end torque. You pretty much have to redline it just to get a measly 151 lb/ft out of it.

J-Rzez

WRX/STI does not even compare in terms of being a true sports car

Compared to what? The FR-S with it's econobox motor? Sports Cars are complete packages, and the 86 is not with 200hp and 151ftlb.

Can't wait for the test results of the 86, there's going to be a lot of butthurt going around.

ascii42

Even if the handling is as good as you describe that still doesn't compensate for 151 lb/ft at 6K rpm IMO. Even with the power to
weight ratio factored in, your average full sized family sedan with a 6 would still have way better acceleration than this "sports car."
That probably depends on gearing. This car probably will have much more aggressive gearing than a family sedan.

Just did a quick search. The official 0-60 time I found for the 86 was 6.9 sec.

By comparison:

Altima V6: 5.9 sec

Camry V6: 6.1 sec

Oh well, at least the 86 beats the Jetta TDI :p

Edit: nvm. It's 6.9.

minx

By comparison:

Bu bu but it's all about the handling!*

95% of people will never even take it to the track.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

By comparison:

Edit: looks like I dun goofed. I think it's 5.9 for the 86. Driving around right now and on my phone so it's a bit hard to use the internets atm. Someone else might want to double check.

It's 6.9 and 7.1 is what I've seen. Not in a million years will the car hit 60 in under 6 seconds.

Compared to what? The FR-S with it's econobox motor? Sports Cars are complete packages, and the 86 is not with 200hp and 151ftlb.

Can't wait for the test results of the 86, there's going to be a lot of butthurt going around.

Definitely agree....I don't hate the gt86 but just expected more.

And wow 0 to 60 in 6.9....not too great.

Zyzyxxz

You have a GT-R?

He only brings it up every chance he gets!

Oh really?!!

If I did how come he didn't know I had one? If I brought it up all the time...haters going to hate...

I hardly brought it up. Last time I brought it up is when someone tried to think they know what there talking about concerning the gt-r without actually driving one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The first gen Mazda6s with its 215HP V6 and 3300 curb weight did 0-60 in 6.9 seconds.

That had a base price of $21,000 MSRP.

Oh really?!!

If I did how come he didn't know I had one? If I brought it up all the time...haters going to hate...

I hardly brought it up. Last time I brought it up is when someone tried to think they know what there talking about concerning the gt-r without actually driving one.

I have seen you bring it up 3-4 times in the last month or so.

aznpxdd

Meh, I've seen you brought it up often enough, and I don't even frequent this thread.

I got the chance to drive the GTR when my ex-boss asked me to drive the car to the shop and back to get his new exhausts installed. It was so awesome.

I have seen you bring it up 3-4 times in the last month or so.

wow....

I haven't posted in months...LOL

and who cares? haters going to hate...

HAHAHAH you're the one thats was arguing with me about the NSX and GT-R...and told me I was lame because I used real life example...HAHAHA

the only reason why I brought up I had a GT-R is because of this..

Well if either if you don't own an NSX or a GT-R I think this discussion will go nowhere. Honestly nice car is a nice car and I'd be happy with both.

No matter how nice your car is I think if you don't have any game you will need more than a GT-R or NSX to get some panties off, probably more like Ferrari.

Post pics of GTR.

pics of the GT-R is on page 23 and 24.

well here's one

5633584270_011b200722_z.jpg

EDIT:

weight ratio factored in, your average full sized family sedan with a 6 would still have way better acceleration than this "sports car." hell, even a Jetta TDI would probably smoke it in the acceleration department.

Lol :)

And on that subject, it looks like the 86 doesn't have any low end torque. You pretty much have to redline it just to get a measly 151 lb/ft out of it.

I guess you're not really familiar with how the power band on that car (and similar cars like S2000's) are. Or any cars Physics time...

Just because a car makes PEAK torque at a certain RPM does not mean that the build up to peak torque @ that RPM is LINEAR. In other words, engines like the GT86's will make around 85-90% of their peak torque at around 2500-3000 RPM. Check it out:

ibxtBGb56U34CU.jpg

The torque curve is relatively flat. Plus, it is not about LowEndTorque. It is also about gearing; remember that gearing affects the actual torque output to the ground.

I say this teasingly, but this makes your username seem very ironic. Thy ignorance must be dispelled, good sir. :p

Meh. S2000's spank STI's on the track all day and they ONLY have 240 bhp and 151/163 ft-lb of torque. Torque is not everything. Neither is power. Low weight, amazing suspension and chassis design go a long, long ways.

wow....

pics of the GT-R is on page 22 and 23.

Then shut up about it if no one cares, si?

At least he's not as bad as I am about my 318is guys.

318 iSes are awesome, super fun cars though. GTR R35 is a boring-ass car that does everything for you. It substitutes skill with electronic wizardry. Zzzzz.

I am so ready to grab up an S50/S52 swapped 318 iS. God DAMN those cars are beast! And so sexy. Post pics of your 318iS!

AcridMeat

Banned
I am so ready to grab up an S50/S52 swapped 318 iS. God DAMN those cars are beast! And so sexy. Post pics of your 318iS!

Alright, but I don't want you guys to think less of me because of how beast this thing is.
o92YC.jpg

Aw yeah 1997 5-speed with 192k miles.
Yes that's the only picture I have of it. Yes it's being towed home.

I say this teasingly, but this makes your username seem very ironic. Thy ignorance must be dispelled, good sir. :p

meh.

The LowEndTorque post was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was poking fun at fact that the peak torque for that car is weak (regardless of the powerband, which is a concept I&#8217;m familiar with btw, albeit not for that particular car), but cool. Thanks anyways ;)

meh.

The LowEndTorque post was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was poking fun at fact that the peak torque for that car is weak (regardless of the powerband, which is a concept I’m familiar with btw, albeit not for that particular car), but cool. Thanks anyways ;)

Then why would you post this "And on that subject, it looks like the 86 doesn't have any low end torque. You pretty much have to redline it just to get a measly 151 lb/ft out of it" when that isn't true? Anyone that understands engines, torque bands, and especially small displacement engines could've figured that one out.

And again: gearing. Low weight. Car doesn't need gobs of torque. Gobs of torque feels awesome and makes city driving great, but it's not necessary for spirited driving and track usage.

Link please...

Hell naw. I want a chance to buy this shit next week if no one else does. :lol:

Bu bu but it's all about the handling!*

95% of people will never even take it to the track.

Who cares about the track? The car that was the most fun for me to drive was my old beat up 924S with about 120whp (on a good day), and that was only a few hundred pounds lighter than the 86. The 911 was fun too, but in a more exhilarating "oh god oh god oh god" kind of way opposed to the "grin on your face all day" that the 924 was.

If there's a curvy, forested road near you the 86 will be a car you'll love. But I'm very much in the "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" camp.

WTF..."break it lose, slide it around"...um...regardless of horsepower....you shouldn't be doing that on the street anyways...

What the hell is this?! Get out of this thread!

(You don't have to go crazy DORIFTUUUUUUUUUUU to kick the rear end out a little bit and have fun.)

Then why would you post this "And on that subject, it looks like the 86 doesn't have any low end torque. You pretty much have to redline it just to get a measly 151 lb/ft out of it" when that isn't true?

Because it kinda is true.

151 @ peak = it barely has any torque period. (at the low OR high end). Surprised you still didn't get the joke/troll even after I told you it was tongue-in-cheek.

If the 6.9 time that's been reported so far is accurate, this car gets out-accelerated by a camry.

A CAMRY.

Gobs of torque feels awesome and makes city driving great, but it's not necessary for spirited driving and track usage.

Which is what I was assuming we've been discussing the merits of all along. City driving. For people looking at buying this car as a daily driver, power and torque are more useful (and fun) than the ability to carve through twisties. The track is another story, but I didn't realize that is the context of the discussion about this car in this thread.

ascii42

Because it's kinda true.

151 @ peak = it barely has any torque period. (at the low OR high end). Surprised you still didn't get the joke/troll even after I told you it was tongue-in-cheek.

If the 6.9 time that's been reported so far is accurate, this car gets out-accelerated by a camry.

A CAMRY.
No way! A car with a V6 is quicker than a car with a flat-4?

A CAMRY.

My ex-wife's Chevy Malibu would beat my old 924S in a straight line. Guess which one I'd rather drive, both as a daily driver and for fun.

I think people have kind of lost touch with what makes cars fun, everything is power Power POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER nowadays. Stop ruining my life, Jeremy Clarkson!

No way! A car with a V6 is quicker than a car with a flat-4?

Crazy ain't it? The world's most boring full-size family sedan accelerates faster than this sick new sports car that's coming out soon.

My ex-wife's Chevy Malibu would beat my old 924S in a straight line. Guess which one I'd rather drive, both as a daily driver and for fun.

I think people have kind of lost touch with what makes cars fun, everything is power Power POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER nowadays. Stop ruining my life, Jeremy Clarkson!

Oh come on, you don't find beastly whiplash-inducing power to be fun? (not talking about your ex's Malibu lol) And the love of powah isn't some recent thing where people have lost touch with the past nor is it Jeremy Clarkson's fault. It definitely wasn't the handling that made American muscle cars so popular back in the day.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
wow....

pics of the GT-R is on page 23 and 24.

well here's one

5633584270_011b200722_z.jpg

EDIT:

HAHAHAH you're the one thats was arguing with me about the NSX and GT-R...and told me I was lame because I used real life example...HAHAHA

the only reason why I brought up I had a GT-R is because of this..

Haha, I'd say you're right. If I forgot you owned a GT-R and I replied right after you posted pics of it and your NSX, then you don't talk about it that much. I talk about my 370Z way more often than you talk about the GT-R.

How do you like it? How many miles on it? Reliability issues? Any trips to the dealer?

Loki

Count of Concision
So, any opinions from people who own or have driven in any of these cars as to which one I should get?

- 2012 Nissan Maxima SV w/cold and monitor package
- 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/leather
- 2012 Volkswagen CC

I'm leaning towards the Maxima because I like its interior the most (the center stack is awesome) and it's easily the most powerful car on the list. I've also been enamored with it for a few years now since the redesign in 2009. The Accord is sexy and nice quality, but I'm not sure how I feel about a coupe - I was comfortable inside it, though. The slanted rear window could get annoying. The Volkswagen CC is GORGEOUS, but I would only be able to swing the 200 HP 4-cylinder model (the V6 is like $40K, the 4-cyl around $30-34K). I don't like its interior as much as the Maxima's, but it's elegant and refined.

Incidentally, I'm not sure why VW doesn't offer a V6 on the CC Luxe trim (which is ~$35K). I mean, you really can't include a V6 in a $35K car Volkswagen? Really? This car would sell a TON more if they did this - even with 4 cylinders at 200 HP it's very appealing based on design and build quality alone. The design is just incredibly sexy and oozes class.

Any opinions/recommendations on, or experiences with, these cars is welcome.

Anyone have any input?

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone have any input?
I don't own any of them, but I would be hesitant to buy a Nissan that was made in Mexico...Buying Japanese cars that were built in the USA is fine though.
Therefore my answer would be either the Accord (USA) or the CC (Germany). Then, based on looks, the CC would win. The low end torque of the 2.0T is really good and I suggest you take a drive in it to see for yourself that the V6 isn't necessary.

For 35K, you can also get a made in Japan V6 Acura TSX, but it's not as nice inside or outside as the CC.

Loki

Count of Concision
I don't own any of them, but I would be hesitant to buy a Nissan that was made in Mexico...Buying Japanese cars that were built in the USA is fine though.
Therefore my answer would be either the Accord (USA) or the CC (Germany). Then, based on looks, the CC would win. The low end torque of the 2.0T is really good and I suggest you take a drive in it to see for yourself that the V6 isn't necessary.

For 35K, you can also get a made in Japan V6 Acura TSX, but it's not as nice inside or outside as the CC.

How can you tell where the particular Nissan you buy is manufactured? or are you saying that all the new Maximas are made in Mexico? Any articles citing concerns with their build quality? Thanks for the info.

ascii42

How can you tell where the particular Nissan you buy is manufactured? or are you saying that all the new Maximas are made in Mexico? Any articles citing concerns with their build quality? Thanks for the info.
According to wikipedia, Maximas are made in Tennessee.

coldfoot

Banned
I think I jumped the gun in my previous post. The new Maximas are built in the USA, so they should be fine. I think the older ones were made in Mexico or I just misremembered.

To see where a car is made, look at the first digit in the VIN. 1,2,4,5: USA, J: Japan, W: Germany, 3: Mexico, etc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

Not trusting Wikipedia entry on where the Maxima is made entirely, I checked some Maxima VINs from Autotrader, and they start with a 1, which means they're made in the USA and Wikipedia is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom