• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ariel atom
caterhams
radical sr
ktm x-bow

any number of track only cars

those don't qualify, because there purpose built track car.

I'm waiting for a light magical car that he can built and "add power" and "tune the suspension"

to start, stop and turn faster than a purpose built sports car.

robox

then i have to say, he's delusional. nothing built for mass market is gonna beat a purpose built sports car. anything mass produced is gonna be compromised.

ls7 miata with big brakes and big tires?

N-Bomb

then i have to say, he's delusional. nothing built for mass market is gonna beat a purpose built sports car. anything mass produced is gonna be compromised.

ls7 miata with big brakes and big tires?

Sure.

What's a 'purpose built sports car', though? A BRZ? a 370Z? An FC? An FD? A Mustang? A '69 Camaro? A C4? C5? C6? Corvette? A Ferrari 430? A Zonda? An Exige? An Atom? A Boxster? An MGB? A Jag E-type? An STi/Evo?

N-Bomb

Build your own Tesla Model S and see the future today!

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

Mine:
DaJDK.png

Did the rear discs and pads on my car today. **** me. Clearly hadn't been touched in ages and the monkeys that last touched the bolts did them up way beyond the required torques.

French vehicles are so backwards.

iamblades

Sure.

What's a 'purpose built sports car', though? A BRZ? a 370Z? An FC? An FD? A Mustang? A '69 Camaro? A C4? C5? C6? Corvette? A Ferrari 430? A Zonda? An Exige? An Atom? A Boxster? An MGB? A Jag E-type? An STi/Evo?

^^

The BRZ is a 'purpose built sports car' by any definition I can think of.

IMO it is definitely more of a sports car than the mustang, which is a muscle car depending on how you want to classify things..

The MX-5 is basically the textbook definition of a sports car.

I also don't get this obsession with a hypothetical car that could stop/start/corner faster than any other car, when these are contradictory goals at times, no one car can do everything. But if there were such a car, it would be a light car, it's just basic physics.

The BRZ/FR-S is handicapped by the shitty prius tires they put on them for fuel efficency reasons and because sometimes less grip makes a car more fun to drive, which is the engineering philosophy behind the car. No $25,000 is going to be the fastest car, so they just made it fun.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm....

Carrera S, grey metallic, manual, reasonable miles, clean history (second owner only owned for a couple months though), visually excellent, some options, well under book value, two year warranty.

Looks solid, think I'll check it out.

TylerD

Hmm....

Carrera S, grey metallic, manual, reasonable miles, clean history (second owner only owned for a couple months though), visually excellent, some options, well under book value, two year warranty.

Looks solid, think I'll check it out.

Yeah, looks real nice. Would make me happy to know that our leader has a P-car. Definitely update us with pics if you decide to get it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can see why people get so enthusiastic about these cars. Everything just feels right. The steering, the shifter, the clutch, it's all so damned smooth and responsive and just slides into place effortlessly but with the feeling of power behind it. And when you're just driving conservatively you don't need to micromanage your gearing since it'll handle anything without any complaints. Seats are very, very comfortable and the ergonomics are some of the best I've experienced, with my body just being happy with where everything is.

And it's fast as all hell, obviously! And the engine sounds! Mmmmm. Highly recommended ;b

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nice! Pics when done?

I'll post some. The springs are making a clunk from the front end somewhere, sounds like the spring is binding against the perch when you turn the wheel or go over a bump - so I'm bummed about that, but it'll be fixed Tuesday. Wish I test drove it before rushing to begin the install of the sideskirts which I gloriously cut my thumb open doing. Yaaaay blood.

Installing those sideskirts was fun, though. It's been a while since I've personally done any work, I remember why I started paying to get shit done (I get frustrated and angry very fast), but I also remember why I loved doing it in the first place (the accomplishment just feels great).

The car has a great stance now, the sideskirts set the look off. But I'm definitely going to throw on a pair of sway bars to tighten the car up.

blanky

I can see why people get so enthusiastic about these cars. Everything just feels right. The steering, the shifter, the clutch, it's all so damned smooth and responsive and just slides into place effortlessly but with the feeling of power behind it. And when you're just driving conservatively you don't need to micromanage your gearing since it'll handle anything without any complaints. Seats are very, very comfortable and the ergonomics are some of the best I've experienced, with my body just being happy with where everything is.

And it's fast as all hell, obviously! And the engine sounds! Mmmmm. Highly recommended ;b

plus porsche is actually pretty practical, i think they were voted germany's best car by consumers last year.

J-Rzez

Question about that, what benefit would there be in un-equal exhaust headers?

As we all know sound is a major element to the driving experience and unequals produce a unique and glorious sound. Listen to any wrx/sti with an exhaust, flat + unequal is an intoxicating sound. :p

Sure you may have some varying heat levels but still, dat sound!

Grats on the porsche EL. Theyre great cars performance wise all around no denying that. Some just dont like the looks but thats all eye of the beholder stuff. Glad you appreciate a good shifter like i do lol. I still bitch about GM shifters lime thkse found in ctsvs, vettes, camaros...

J-Rzez

I want to start modding my evo 9, but the EvoM forums are so fucking terrible, that I cant even get a feel to where to start.

Thinking about getting lowering springs first since im tired of stock ride height.

Keep in mind "for the looks" can hurt the handling of an evo quickly. I have an 04 that i bought new and i didnt really touch the suspension at all. Sway bars, alignment, and upgraded brake pads will make a noticable improvement on its handling. Remember the stock struts are made with x amount of suspension travel in mind from the stock springs. Dont go low.

I went all power in mine outside the before mentioned. Ill run through the turns as fast or faster than many others. What i needed was power. I put my work into it, now to the tune of 360-400awhp based on what boost is set that day. With more power and the already good handling youd be surprised what youll hang with or pass up.

N-Bomb

Question about that, what benefit would there be in un-equal exhaust headers?

As we all know sound is a major element to the driving experience and unequals produce a unique and glorious sound. Listen to any wrx/sti with an exhaust, flat + unequal is an intoxicating sound. :p

Sure you may have some varying heat levels but still, dat sound!

Well that's that thing... if you have a twinscroll STi (like the one I'm building), you're required to have equal-length, because it lines up the exhaust pulses properly to take advantage of the turbo's quicker spooling. On a normal turbo engine, I believe any kind of power gains are present, but minimal, so most people prefer the sound of the stock unequal headers.

I'm genuinely curious though, which Porsche uses.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well that's that thing... if you have a twinscroll STi (like the one I'm building), you're required to have equal-length, because it lines up the exhaust pulses properly to take advantage of the turbo's quicker spooling. On a normal turbo engine, I believe any kind of power gains are present, but minimal, so most people prefer the sound of the stock unequal headers.

I'm genuinely curious though, which Porsche uses.

Porsche are equal-length, I'm fairly sure. After my shop supercharged a 997 Carrera 4S, I remember the stock headers laying around.

Yup and most reliable German car as well I believe.

Their day-to-day reliability is pretty fantastic but they've had catastrophic failure issues for the past ten years or so. A lot of the issues have been fixed in newer models and older models can be refitted with parts to remove the potential for failures.

Oh god I miss my 996 so much.

I was lusting over a boxster spyder but after all the options that I wanted the price was of off the roof. Plus I couldn't decide between PDK or standard.

I was lusting over a boxster spyder but after all the options that I wanted the price was of off the roof. Plus I couldn't decide between PDK or standard.

Question: How important is shaving .3 seconds a lap off your time? Not that important? Get the standard.

That people would buy a Spyder with a PDK boggles my mind. The whole "It's faster, get with the times!" crowd doesn't make any sense to me, especially with the Spyder; you can't say you're looking towards the future with the car's technology when you have to literally strap the roof on the car.

Question: How important is shaving .3 seconds a lap off your time? Not that important? Get the standard.

That people would buy a Spyder with a PDK boggles my mind. The whole "It's faster, get with the times!" crowd doesn't make any sense to me, especially with the Spyder; you can't say you're looking towards the future with the car's technology when you have to literally strap the roof on the car.

Um...the reason was my girlfriend at the time...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I am not sure if this was asked this before, but I feel like this question has been missed throughout this entire BRZ debate:

What does the BRZ do better than the RX8?

Low-curb weight, small-displacement NA, high-revving, perfect balance, and a great "track/fun" car.

I am not sure if this was asked this before, but I feel like this question has been missed throughout this entire BRZ debate:

Low-curb weight, small-displacement NA, high-revving, perfect balance, and a great "track/fun" car.

The thing that the BRZ does WAY better is that its doesn't have a rotary engine.

ameratsu

Better MPG and doesn't need extra oil all the time. Rear seats fold down in the FR-S/BRZ.

You're discussing flaws of the engine, I am trying to argue the flaws of the concept.

The RX-8 was heavier, significantly larger and more expensive. I never drove one so I can't speak towards the driving dynamics (which is true of the BRZ, too).

Besides, a lot of people would never have touched a rotary with a ten foot pole.

N-Bomb

The thing that the BRZ does WAY better is that its doesn't have a rotary engine.

Probably will end up being more reliable as well.

Are we really starting this again? I mean, I can just say literally everything I said last time, but you'll be no less ignorant. So... let's just move on?

The RX-8 was heavier, significantly larger and more expensive.

Sounds about right. I think worse in fuel economy as well. Iffy styling (depending on your tastes). 'More practical', I guess? Also more power (depending on the model, trim, etc)

Are we really starting this again? I mean, I can just say literally everything I said last time, but you'll be no less ignorant. So... let's just move on?

Sounds about right. I think worse in fuel economy as well. Iffy styling (depending on your tastes). 'More practical', I guess? Also more power (depending on the model, trim, etc)

The majority feels this way(among car enthusiast), and there's a reason for that. Just because you had a magical experience with mythical reliable rotary engine doesn't mean its a norm.

from most of our discussion, your magical car must be a modded miata with a rotary swap, big brakes/big tires.

Miroku

Bought an CPO '08 Carrera S a little over a year ago now and not one single issue. Great car, the only downside there isnt much of an upgrade path without stepping into crazy money territory.

Enjoy your car Evil!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
lol, that's awesome. You must be feeling quite frisky to try to tame a tvr.

I was taking a peek at some UK prices and they are RIDICULOUSLY low. That said, it was the heat of the moment. A Chimaera is a more sensible choice given that I wouldn't flog it as much as I'd like. And the engine should be a heck of a lot cheaper to fix...

Edit: The crazy thing is, I don't even need a fucking car. Jesus. I'm need to stay the fuck away from Pistonhead's classifieds.

N-Bomb

The majority feels this way(among car enthusiast), and there's a reason for that. Just because you had a magical experience with mythical reliable rotary engine doesn't mean its a norm.

OMFG, you ARE that dense. I don't know the majority, and neither do you. However, I not only had a reliable experience myself, I know many others who also did (a handful with FC's w/ over 250k miles on the odo, original engines), and the ONLY people with unreliable engines were those that ricemodded them stupidly, thinking they were just like any Honda. Basically idiots had unreliable cars through their own doing.

Now GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom