• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG, you ARE that dense. I don't know the majority, and neither do you. However, I not only had a reliable experience myself, I know many others who also did (a handful with FC's w/ over 250k miles on the odo, original engines), and the ONLY people with unreliable engines were those that ricemodded them stupidly, thinking they were just like any Honda. Basically idiots had unreliable cars through their own doing.

Now GTFO.

Haha never change automotive fans...never change.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The RX-8 was heavier, significantly larger and more expensive. I never drove one so I can't speak towards the driving dynamics (which is true of the BRZ, too).

Besides, a lot of people would never have touched a rotary with a ten foot pole.

The RX-8 is a 3,000lb 2+2 grand tourer. Hardly "heavy". Toyota's marketing has you guys all confused what a heavy car is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OMFG, you ARE that dense. I don't know the majority, and neither do you. However, I not only had a reliable experience myself, I know many others who also did (a handful with FC's w/ over 250k miles on the odo, original engines), and the ONLY people with unreliable engines were those that ricemodded them stupidly, thinking they were just like any Honda. Basically idiots had unreliable cars through their own doing.

Now GTFO.

I don't think it makes a lot of response to respond to a criticism that you're using anecdotal evidence to support an argument by quoting additional, increasingly nebulous anecdotal evidence. "OMFG/GTFO" isn't helping, either.

The RX-8 is a 3,000lb 2+2 grand tourer. Hardly "heavy". Toyota's marketing has you guys all confused what a heavy car is.
Heavy = generically bad, increasingly so for every pound any given car weighs in excess of a Lotus.

Now GTFO.

Um...yeah only the ricemodded one took away the magical reliability of the rotary.

I think you are on your own here.

N-Bomb

I don't think it makes a lot of response to respond to a criticism that you're using anecdotal evidence to support an argument by quoting additional, increasingly nebulous anecdotal evidence. "OMFG/GTFO" isn't helping, either.

A) Neither of us has more than anecdotal evidence, but the evidence I have comes from years of experience as both an owner of one and as an active member of the community for a car existing for over 20 years.

If the rotary was that unreliable, it would never have made it out of the 70s and the oil crisis.

B) I'm tired of his thickheadedness/trolling.

Heavy = generically bad, increasingly so for every pound any given car weighs in excess of a Lotus.

Actually, Lotuses (Loti? I dunno) are pretty heavy compared to karts!

Um...yeah only the ricemodded one took away the magical reliability of the rotary.

I think you are on your own here.

Yes, that's pretty much true. And people that just put too much power through them - but that happens to Hondas and GM small blocks as well.

I'd rather be right on my own (except that I'm not on my own), than wrong with the ignorant herd you seem to be grazing among. I'm done with you.

I am not sure if this was asked this before, but I feel like this question has been missed throughout this entire BRZ debate:

What does the BRZ do better than the RX8?

Low-curb weight, small-displacement NA, high-revving, perfect balance, and a great "track/fun" car.

fuel economy, that's about all. Ignore the rotary debate #126674556

I plan on getting an RX8 much more practical as you can actually seat adults in the back.
And I'm a fan of the engine.

N-Bomb

fuel economy, that's about all. Ignore the rotary debate #126674556

I plan on getting an RX8 much more practical as you can actually seat adults in the back.
And I'm a fan of the engine.

Pretty sure 3000lbs is for an auto trans model, no? I remember when it came out, they were touting 2800lb curb weight for a manual.

Spent m,y first weekend cruising up and down Los Angeles in my new FR-S. Such a sweet car. If you can, I highly recommend it. Just pure cerebral bliss.

The RX-8 weighs more than the BRZ so I was 100% correct in my statement; there's no cause for being obnoxious. I don't think it's a bad amount of extra weight but to some people that matters.

Edit:
Mazda 3, Mx5 and 6 have spotless reliability.

What you smokin?

Mazda's a reliable poor man's BMW.
What a weird post.

Enron

Banned

What you smokin?

notsureifserious.jpg

I looked at reliability ratings on CR for Mazda 6s, since I was considering a used one. After reading, however, I removed it from consideration. And out of those that I know that have owned mazdas, only one had no trouble (a mazda 3 owner).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The RX-8 weighs more than the BRZ so I was 100% correct in my statement; there's no cause for being obnoxious. I don't think it's a bad amount of extra weight but to some people that matters.
I mean, I get that you can't see me winking over the internet, but everyone else got the sarcasm.

I mean, I get that you can't see me winking over the internet, but everyone else got the sarcasm.

I got that it was sarcasm which is why I understood that you weren't agreeing with me but actually making fun of my comment. I don't think you get how sarcasm works.

Actual conversation: I just bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires for my Volvo. They're low-rolling-resistance, comfortable, quiet tires. I am officially a grandpa. Anyone have experience with these things? I read some pretty good reviews in terms of ride noise and comfort and they were fairly inexpensive but just curious if anyone else had some input.

Not like it matters, going to be stuck with them for 60,000 miles regardless.

Edit: Not really a grandpa, I've got the motorcycle for cruising and having fun and the spec 944 racer coming up this fall. Oh god... a Harley and a race car... those sound like mid-life crisis hobbies. I'm only 27 :(

Angry Grimace

I got that it was sarcasm which is why I understood that you weren't agreeing with me but actually making fun of my comment. I don't think you get how sarcasm works.

Actual conversation: I just bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires for my Volvo. They're low-rolling-resistance, comfortable, quiet tires. I am officially a grandpa. Anyone have experience with these things? I read some pretty good reviews in terms of ride noise and comfort and they were fairly inexpensive but just curious if anyone else had some input.

Not like it matters, going to be stuck with them for 60,000 miles regardless.

Edit: Not really a grandpa, I've got the motorcycle for cruising and having fun and the spec 944 racer coming up this fall. Oh god... a Harley and a race car... those sound like mid-life crisis hobbies. I'm only 27 :(
If everyone else got it except for you including all of the other people arguing the same point as you, then I don't see how you can argue that someone else doesn't "get how sarcasm works."

If everyone else got it except for you including all of the other people arguing the same point as you, then I don't see how you can argue that someone else doesn't "get how sarcasm works."

I wasn't aware I was arguing a point. Somebody asked what the difference between an RX-8 and a BRZ was and, among a couple other things, I said "it's heavier".

N-Bomb

So I finally brought the car to the shop yesterday, and it went into the garage today.

They refused to install the light pulley I bought, so I decided to go with a lighter flywheel instead, because it's like 5-6h of labour, and cheaper to do it while the driveline is dropped already. Still need to decide if I want the huge Brembos or stick w/ the 4pot/2pot brakes so I can fit 16" wheels on there.

Hope to have pics of the new engine soon. :D

ameratsu

Used car prices around me feel so out of touch. The very few decent cars I've looked at are too expensive. A 2000 Accord Coupe 4cyl 5spd 74k miles with Leather? I figure it's worth about 5k, but the guy had it listed for 7.4k and it sold in under a week before I could even get out again to drive it (first time I saw it it wasn't plated). He had to have sold it for well over 6k, probably around 7.

Maybe I need to set my sights on a model that people aren't climbing over each other to buy at exorbitant prices.

Angry Grimace

Used car prices around me feel so out of touch. The very few decent cars I've looked at are too expensive. A 2000 Accord Coupe 4cyl 5spd 74k miles with Leather? I figure it's worth about 5k, but the guy had it listed for 7.4k and it sold in under a week before I could even get out again to drive it (first time I saw it it wasn't plated). He had to have sold it for well over 6k, probably around 7.

Maybe I need to set my sights on a model that people aren't climbing over each other to buy at exorbitant prices.
It's becoming less and less worthwhile to buy used since prices on used aren't falling enough to make it worthwhile. I guess someone out there is actually paying those prices though.

how is it?

compare to other car you've driven?

how is it compare to the Z?

The Z was fast, but so sloppy. It never felt as tight as the FRS does. I remember the first day I got the Z back in 2009 I thought to myself, this doesn't feel very tight, its not glued to the road. The very first 5 min of driving the FRS, I knew I was in something totally different.

I feel more connected to the road. I really don't care about 0-60 anymore. I just enjoy driving it. I have never enjoyed driving more than I have the last 7 days. Ive said this before, I will say it again. It gave me the same feeling as when I first sat in the RX7 at the age of 17.

I smiled and said holy shit.

The Z was fast, but so sloppy. It never felt as tight as the FRS does. I remember the first day I got the Z back in 2009 I thought to myself, this doesn't feel very tight, its not glued to the road. The very first 5 min of driving the FRS, I knew I was in something totally different.

I feel more connected to the road. I really don't care about 0-60 anymore. I just enjoy driving it. I have never enjoyed driving more than I have the last 7 days. Ive said this before, I will say it again. It gave me the same feeling as when I first sat in the RX7 at the age of 17.

I smiled and said holy shit.

Sounds good.

I'm planning to go to the dealer for a test drive.....if they let me.

AlexMogil

There's an import car show in my town here in a couple weeks. They've asked for exotics as well as daily drivers. I have a 2011 Sti that is pretty much bone stock, but immaculate. Would it be silly to enter and just hang out? Has anyone here done this?

Flo_Evans

I am not sure if this was asked this before, but I feel like this question has been missed throughout this entire BRZ debate:

What does the BRZ do better than the RX8?

Low-curb weight, small-displacement NA, high-revving, perfect balance, and a great "track/fun" car.

Well for 1, they don't even make Rx-8's anymore :(

What you smokin?

haha

oh wow.

*I traded in my 3 series for a mazda Cx-7 (turbo AWD of course) family mobile :p

There's an import car show in my town here in a couple weeks. They've asked for exotics as well as daily drivers. I have a 2011 Sti that is pretty much bone stock, but immaculate. Would it be silly to enter and just hang out? Has anyone here done this?

Do you mean enter it on the show? Or be an spectator?

Well there's nothing wrong with it, but be prepare to take criticism of any kind.

and it's pretty troublesome unless you're part of a forum/club that will be attending.

I'd go as a spectator...Save the entrance fees for when you get some mods in...

Fou-Lu

At the moment I don't have a running car, but I do have a 1996 Eagle Talon sitting in storage, my dad who is a mechanic told me it would probably cost about $1500 in parts to get it up and running. Is it even worth it? It's the most basic Talon, four-cylinder automatic without the turbocharger.

ameratsu

At the moment I don't have a running car, but I do have a 1996 Eagle Talon sitting in storage, my dad who is a mechanic told me it would probably cost about $1500 in parts to get it up and running. Is it even worth it? It's the most basic Talon, four-cylinder automatic without the turbocharger.

Not worth it.

ascii42

Financially speaking? Probably not. Emotionally speaking? That's up to you. Do you have any attachment to this car? If not, I wouldn't bother. Are you (or your dad) thinking of actually fixing it up yourself? If not, there are labor costs to think about. If you are, there's the time commitment to think about.

Zyzyxxz

Talon's are money pits.

They can be made fast for cheap but it's not even turbocharged. Don't bother you will only get hurt in the end.

Aguirre

you're catching a falling knife.

go for a toyota land cruiser 6 cyclinder diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom