• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

At the moment I don't have a running car, but I do have a 1996 Eagle Talon sitting in storage, my dad who is a mechanic told me it would probably cost about $1500 in parts to get it up and running. Is it even worth it? It's the most basic Talon, four-cylinder automatic without the turbocharger.

To add my voice - ditch it. Donate it to some school or something and get a tax receipt.

as painful as it is for me as a former Talon owner (1994 TSi)...if it isn't running now it won't get better. i learned some hard wrenching lessons on my old Talon. Was my high school/college project, loved it....but goddamn when shit broke it broke real bad.

I had electrical issues, i had seemingly un-locatable oil drips and streaking, ultimately I threw a rod at 70mph, cracked the head, and it was over. put in a few thousand bucks in upgrades, service, and parts over the 6 or 7 years i had it and ended up parting it and basically scrapping it.

Forsete

My new car will arrive in 2-4 weeks (biting nails).

How does one "break in" a car these days? The manual says to baby it, but that could just be a legal warning. This is what I have read on some forums as well, no cruise control, shift up early and so on.

Some say drive it like you stole it (to seal everything up), some say drive it like normal aka. you can do hard accelerations/rev it if you want to as long as the car has reached the operating temperature (duh).

It is a TDI btw.

new cars are basically built already "broken in" and I would worry about ti too much. maybe for the first 500 miles I wouldn't beat the shit out of it, and I have heard from some people here and there to change the oil after 500 miles to get rid of any residues from the manufacturing.

but they wouldn't be able to sell cars (I am guessing you bought a Jetta TDI, of which they sell thousands and thousands every month) if you could hurt something by not "breaking it in".

buying a V12 Ferrari? break in is probably warranted. Average car off the lot? Just drive it.

snoopen

Putting a deposit for a new car tomorrow -

http://www.toyota.com.au/86

$40k AU for the auto premium GTS model.. i think insurance will hurt me as i'm 23. Don't care too much though, i have $30k in savings and it won't take long to pay off a small loan.

thinking dark grey..

attachment.php

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2387 for more pics

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Really wished treatment foglights didn't look so generic and out of place... and the taillights weren't eurolights:'(

Vormund

Putting a deposit for a new car tomorrow -

http://www.toyota.com.au/86

$40k AU for the auto premium GTS model.. i think insurance will hurt me as i'm 23. Don't care too much though, i have $30k in savings and it won't take long to pay off a small loan.

I was really surprised the price they are launching it at, I'll definitely take a look. Btw don't get this car in auto....seems a waste really.

Forsete

new cars are basically built already "broken in" and I would worry about ti too much. maybe for the first 500 miles I wouldn't beat the shit out of it, and I have heard from some people here and there to change the oil after 500 miles to get rid of any residues from the manufacturing.

but they wouldn't be able to sell cars (I am guessing you bought a Jetta TDI, of which they sell thousands and thousands every month) if you could hurt something by not "breaking it in".

buying a V12 Ferrari? break in is probably warranted. Average car off the lot? Just drive it.

Thanks dude. :)
I had more or less come to that conclusion myself, but since it is my first brand new car I just wanted some more opinions.

It is a Golf TDI.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mazda 3, Mx5 and 6 have spotless reliability.

What you smokin?

Mazda's a reliable poor man's BMW.
Hmm. One man's experience shouldn't represent the brand as a whole, but I was surprised at the problems my old Mazda 6 (2006) ran into. After just one year the fuel pump failed (I never let it drop below 1/8 of a tank either).

I sold it to my sister in 2009 and she takes good care of her cars. After a year of driving the engine threw a rod and was completely destroyed. That was with just ~80,000 miles on it. I was pretty surprised when this happened.

ameratsu

FWIW, my brother is having an intermittent cold start issue with his 1st gen MS3 where it bogs down on startup. He thinks it's a fuel pump issue. And it only has 55,000kms on it!

ascii42

How does one "break in" a car these days? The manual says to baby it, but that could just be a legal warning. This is what I have read on some forums as well, no cruise control, shift up early and so on.

Some say drive it like you stole it (to seal everything up), some say drive it like normal aka. you can do hard accelerations/rev it if you want to as long as the car has reached the operating temperature (duh).

It is a TDI btw.

The manual for my car said to avoid keeping it at the same rpm for extended periods for the first 500 miles so things seal up properly.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
FWIW, my brother is having an intermittent cold start issue with his 1st gen MS3 where it bogs down on startup. He thinks it's a fuel pump issue. And it only has 55,000kms on it!

Fuel pump or injectors.

Enron

Banned
Hmm. One man's experience shouldn't represent the brand as a whole, but I was surprised at the problems my old Mazda 6 (2006) ran into. After just one year the fuel pump failed (I never let it drop below 1/8 of a tank either).

I sold it to my sister in 2009 and she takes good care of her cars. After a year of driving the engine threw a rod and was completely destroyed. That was with just ~80,000 miles on it. I was pretty surprised when this happened.

This is pretty much like every other story I read about Mazda 6s, which seemed to jive with the data that CR had on the pre-2010 models. And it's why I immediately scratched them off the list. Shame too, that's such a nice looking car.

After my sister's experience with their CX-7, though, I can comfortably say that I will never ever consider a Mazda.

Well, the BRZ proved itself too small for my fat ass. 6'3" and 275lbs was too much girth in the tight little cabin. It was a sweet test drive, and I was SO close to putting in an order, but I wanted to sleep on it and test drive some other cars.

I went and drove the V6 Camaro, again, against better judgement. I immediately realized that the Camaro was just a better fit for my hulking figure. Not to mention, it was noticeably faster off the line.

As much as people hate on the Camaro for being so big and heavy ... at the very least it feels like you are getting a lot of car (raw materials) for your money.

Bonus feature is that it runs on regular unleaded! I can't even find the recommended 93 octane the BRZ asks for in my town.

I'm not really sure what I want to do now that the BRZ is out of the question.

So far in 3 months I've gone from convinced that I would be getting a Mustang GT, to engaged, to convinced I was getting a BRZ, to leaning towards a V6 Camaro.

If I was spending the money on a V8, the Mustang GT offers so much of a value over the Camaro SS, but when you get down to the little 6-bangers, the advantage of the 'stang is pretty well erased, and it comes down to styling and features.

Track pack V6 Mustang wouldn't be a bad little ride, but I think my friends and family have a lot more respect for the looks of the Camaro, which weighs heavily on my own opinions. They aren't making the payments, but I know Grandpa will ask for plenty of rides because he loves the Camaro's ... that makes a fence sitting decision a little easier.

It sure is nice to have so many cool affordable cars to dream about. 4 years ago we were pretty damn limited. No BRZ, boat anchor V6 Mustang, no Camaro.

/blogpost

AlphaSnake

It's actually the EXACT opposite. Every exotic is broken in from the factory. All Lambos, Audi R8 V10s, Ferraris, etc. - even the higher end Porsches - are ran by their manufacturers for a bit once they are built and then shipped out. Some cars that require additional break-in procedure have it programmed into their ECUs to prevent you from ruining that break-in (BMWs do this with all M cars, you cannot rev them past 6000RPM when they're new and power is lessened as well).

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

It is a TDI btw.

So, I'm not sure if this applies to diesels, but people swear by Motoman's method found here:

MotoTune

Take a look, he backs up his claims with some pictures and an interesting theory. I haven't tried it myself, but I plan to do so when I get my next car.

AlphaSnake and others, what's your opinion on that break in procedure? Legit or is that guy crazy?

Waaghals

Just looked at Toyota's Norwegian site for the 86, final price $74 000.

Yeah, I'm not buying one of those.

(this is not Toyota's fault BTW)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
had to replace drum shoes on my mom's car.
never again.

I can't even imagine. I was just cleaning and adjusting mine due to strange noises when braking. I got rid of 90% of the squeak/squeal. About 50% life left so until they die I'm not touching them. Letting my mechanic replace the shoes or might convert the rear to discs.

MisterNoisy

Well, the BRZ proved itself too small for my fat ass. 6'3" and 275lbs was too much girth in the tight little cabin. It was a sweet test drive, and I was SO close to putting in an order, but I wanted to sleep on it and test drive some other cars.

I went and drove the V6 Camaro, again, against better judgement. I immediately realized that the Camaro was just a better fit for my hulking figure. Not to mention, it was noticeably faster off the line.

As much as people hate on the Camaro for being so big and heavy ... at the very least it feels like you are getting a lot of car (raw materials) for your money.

Bonus feature is that it runs on regular unleaded! I can't even find the recommended 93 octane the BRZ asks for in my town.

I'm not really sure what I want to do now that the BRZ is out of the question.

So far in 3 months I've gone from convinced that I would be getting a Mustang GT, to engaged, to convinced I was getting a BRZ, to leaning towards a V6 Camaro.

If I was spending the money on a V8, the Mustang GT offers so much of a value over the Camaro SS, but when you get down to the little 6-bangers, the advantage of the 'stang is pretty well erased, and it comes down to styling and features.

Track pack V6 Mustang wouldn't be a bad little ride, but I think my friends and family have a lot more respect for the looks of the Camaro, which weighs heavily on my own opinions. They aren't making the payments, but I know Grandpa will ask for plenty of rides because he loves the Camaro's ... that makes a fence sitting decision a little easier.

It sure is nice to have so many cool affordable cars to dream about. 4 years ago we were pretty damn limited. No BRZ, boat anchor V6 Mustang, no Camaro.

/blogpost

You may want to take a look at the Genesis Coupe as well - the front clip on the 2013 is a bit funky looking to my eyes compared to the 2012 and earlier cars, but the interior is nicer now and the extra power (particularly the 2.0T which got a HUGE upgrade) and other upgrades would make it easier to live with the funky nose.

When I was shopping for my '11, it definitely felt sportier than the V6 Mustang, though admittedly nobody nearby had a Mustang with the Performance Package. The Camaro was a nonstarter for me as soon as I sat in it, though - the car looks cool as hell, but it's claustrophobic as fuck in there.

Very sharp! Love that car (and all cars, really) in white.

I can't even imagine. I was just cleaning and adjusting mine due to strange noises when braking. I got rid of 90% of the squeak/squeal. About 50% life left so until they die I'm not touching them. Letting my mechanic replace the shoes or might convert the rear to discs.

Ive done it on numerous MGBs, its not too bad, you guys are just spoiled by disc brakes.

Picking up a 96 Miata tonight. M-edition so it has a LSD in it already.

2700 bucks, 2-owner, unmolested car, 130k miles.
Just needs some paint because it was left outside.

AlphaSnake

So, I'm not sure if this applies to diesels, but people swear by Motoman's method found here:

MotoTune

Take a look, he backs up his claims with some pictures and an interesting theory. I haven't tried it myself, but I plan to do so when I get my next car.

AlphaSnake and others, what's your opinion on that break in procedure? Legit or is that guy crazy?

All factories run the motor on a motor dyno a number of times to redline when it is assembled, just before it is dropped into your car. So the driving hard portion to seal everything is also done for you from the factory.

So I want to buy a 2013 Acura ILX with the Premium Package. My friend works at an Acura dealership and can get me a discount, plus trade in of my piece of shit car might take some money off it. I just checked my credit report and score and got a 794, which is a C and listed in a category of Prime.

Gonna try and get a second job and save some money for one...I want a luxury car. It's like $30k for it...

Enron

Banned
So I want to buy a 2013 Acura ILX with the Premium Package. My friend works at an Acura dealership and can get me a discount, plus trade in of my piece of shit car might take some money off it. I just checked my credit report and score and got a 794, which is a C and listed in a category of Prime.

Gonna try and get a second job and save some money for one...I want a luxury car. It's like $30k for it...

If you have to get a second job for your car note, then you have purchased too much car my friend. This is a bad idea. Buy what you can afford.

Archer

If that's what you want....... But you can get a low mileage CPO TL or TSX with more amenities for the same price or less.

Enron

Banned
If that's what you want....... But you can get a low mileage CPO TL or TSX with more amenities for the same price or less.

From the sounds of it though (the whole "second job" part) I'd suggest that he go visit a payment calculator site for a 25-30k$ loan and see how much the payments are. Having a nice car is nice, but not at the expense of other necessities or savings. It really isn't a smart thing financially to do. Especially if you are young. Spending all that money is money that you can't save and that won't grow in an investment vehicle such as a retirement account for years and years to come - you are robbing yourself.

Generally speaking, you should never spend more than 15% of your monthly NET income on car payments if you are single.

Just for yuks, I went and checked out kbb's payment calculator.

The acura ILX is 31,400 for the technology package. Using the base rate of 3.29% apr that the calculator defaults to, and assuming you have 5000 in cash on hand for a downpayment and a "piece of shit" for a trade-in (I estimated that at 3000) for a 5-year car note and 8% sales tax, you are looking at MONTHLY payments of $468.95. Applying the 15% rule, that means you'd at least need to be netting 3200 dollars a Month.

If you do 0% down, then your payments jump to 550+ a month.

Luxury cars are just not for most young buyers, unless you are extremely well off. It's so important to save as much money as you can in your younger adult years so it will have more time to grow for later on, instead of blowing it on a depreciating asset that will be next to worthless in 8 years time.

Note - this of course is much different if you merely lease, of course.

So me and the girlfriend are saving some cash to buy ourselves a new car. We're pretty broke so we're gonna be spending around 1.5k on a shitbox. Can anyone recommend what to avoid and what to look for you make sure I don't get ripped off?

Family has always told us aim for a cheap Honda, Acura, or Toyota.

N-Bomb

So me and the girlfriend are saving some cash to buy ourselves a new car. We're pretty broke so we're gonna be spending around 1.5k on a shitbox. Can anyone recommend what to avoid and what to look for you make sure I don't get ripped off?

Family has always told us aim for a cheap Honda, Acura, or Toyota.

Honestly? Honestly honestly? Consider spending $400 on a pair of bikes unless you need to carry shit/live in the danger zone. :\

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So Toyota Australia have blown me away with the pricing on the GT86 I promised myself that if it came out for about AU$35k I would get one. Just priced up my 6 speed manual and it comes in at AU$30,099.00.

So I'll be trading in my 3 month old Hyundai Veloster+.

FUCK YES. Now I need to sort out wheels, suspension and exhaust ready for some track days.

TylerD

So Toyota Australia have blown me away with the pricing on the GT86 I promised myself that if it came out for about AU$35k I would get one. Just priced up my 6 speed manual and it comes in at AU$30,099.00.

So I'll be trading in my 3 month old Hyundai Veloster+.

FUCK YES. Now I need to sort out wheels, suspension and exhaust ready for some track days.

Very nice.

I just took a look at the first BRZ to arrive in Oklahoma City today. It was a limited in world rally blue, 6MT. Had the 800 rear defuser and home link mirror with compass. 29,436 US THEN a 5000 "market adjustment" on top.

Gorgeous car though, limited is worth the extra $$$ for the features IMO.

I really don't want the defuser and they said every limited they get this year will have the same spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom