• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
brz is synthetic leather here and there and the seats are mostly alcantara.

So how often should one reaaaally wash their car? I'm fine with it not looking pristine at all times, but i don't want stuff to be permanently damaged from lack of care.

Don't worry about it so much, it's a cheap car anyways. Just claybar it every 2-3 months and wax it once a month. Use orbital polisher + compounds once every 1-2 years if you're really anal.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
brz is synthetic leather here and there and the seats are mostly alcantara.

So how often should one reaaaally wash their car? I'm fine with it not looking pristine at all times, but i don't want stuff to be permanently damaged from lack of care.

I shoot for once a week, especially in the winter.

Yep. Once a week, unless your weather conditions are really clear and your car is fairly clean for two weeks.

If you get bird shit, IMMEDIATELY wipe it off with a quick detailer product (Meguiars, Eagle One, or Mothers is okay for off-the-shelf Autozone products). Have some microfiber towels if you're going to wipe bird shit off, you don't want to use anything else because you can scratch the hell out of your paint.

Also, to correctly remove bird shit, you spray the affected area, give it about 20 seconds to really soften up the bird shit, spray a part of your towel, place it on the bird crap gently, and 'lift' the bird shit away. Do not rub it side to side. Once you've lifted the biggest chunk off and on, spray some more on the stain, let it settle a bit, and then with a new side of the towel, gently polish away the remaining residue of the bird.

Then get another dry side of the towel and polish/dry any wet surface from the spray.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bad news, sportscar fans. According to a new report from What Car?, Toyota has cancelled plans to produce a GT86 convertible, a model based on the FT-86 Open Concept that debuted at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. In truth, Toyota never actually confirmed it would produce the budget-friendly droptop in the first place, but rumors have been flying since last year and Toyota reportedly showed its embattled Scion dealers a FR-S version of the convertible in August. Presumably, this means that a lidless variant of the Subaru BRZ is not in the cards, either.

The reason for the move is unknown, though What Car? reports "one possible cause is weight; Toyota did say that further work would be required on rigidity before the convertible could be launched, and that could have added extra bulk that conflict with the regular GT86's ethos of light weight and agile handling."

MX-5 > *

reilo

pretty sure this has been posted here a few months back.

what was the last toyota convertible, solara?

Has subaru ever had a convertible?

It was posted on Autoblog on Friday, which quotes a report dated October 3rd.

And I don't think Subaru has ever had a convertible.

and just why the hell do people think the FRS is ugly?

I think it looks a hell of a lot better than fishface S2k.

in other news:
h3bg.jpg

reilo

It's not an attractive car... It's far too asymmetrical and the rear and front look like from two different cars. It comes across as design by committee -- aggressive in some areas and conservative in others. The interior is far worse though.

No Love

Banned
and just why the hell do people think the FRS is ugly?

I think it looks a hell of a lot better than fishface S2k.

in other news:
]

S2000

DSC05744.jpg

100_1701.jpg

FRS

Scion-FR-S-Scion-of-Hollywood.jpg

auto-show-photos.asp

Enough said. S2000 is timeless and gorgeous, especially when modded tastefully. FRS? Errr... those tail lights... yeah... nope.

Hey its all relative, I happen to love the FRSs styling.

while the S2k looks alright its a bit over-rated

Cant really beat the FD RX7 though.

or the 300zx...

or RZ Supra.... Damn the 90's were good for japanese sports cars..

No Love

Banned
I'm a big fan of the S2K fastback kits. Not so much the stock look.

Ah yes, the spoon hardtop.

4220201396_3b566a0dbc_o.jpg

Lately I've been digging the OEM hardtop.

DSC_0446.jpg

Gorgeous white S2000.

jpweraser.jpg

S2000 interior stomping on the BRZ/FRS interior:

Honda-S2000-Interior-Wallpaper-HD.jpg

Two cars that ended up not being as good as an S2000 following behind an S2000, where they belong!

frs-rx8-s2000.png

S2000 is an amazing car to drive, just wish it wasn't so damn gutless. Although recently someone swapped a J35 from the TL Type S into it... exactly what that car needs, a bad-ass V6. Also, someone once put a really nice roots blower on it... gobs of torque. :)

You guys have weird ideas of what gutless is. I drive something with 180hp at the crank and it puts a big smile on my face every day. With sportscars it's so much more about the feel of it than putting up big numbers--save that for the GT cars.

No Love

Banned
You guys have weird ideas of what gutless is. I drive something with 180hp at the crank and it puts a big smile on my face every day. With sportscars it's so much more about the feel of it than putting up big numbers--save that for the GT cars.

You also don't drive where it's 90F+ where heat soak can make an already torqueless car feel really gutless. :( I will agree though, a lightweight car with proper gearing and a small motor combined with a communicative chassis can feel fantastic: see E30 M3.

However, when it comes to hooning and driving around the city streets, it's really hard to beat a motor with a lot of torque, especially massive low end torque. Hence why I'm buying a Z06, lol. It's so satisfying to step on it in any car and get pushed back no matter the RPM. Great feeling.

AlphaSnake

Ahh heat soak. The bane of any car lover. The 370Z gets it pretty bad, the Jag not so much. Still, it's incredibly annoying if you live in a place with frequent stop and go.

Otherwise, if you're car's constantly on the move, heat soak shouldn't be that big of an issue for more than a few minutes of drive time, really.

You also don't drive where it's 90F+ where heat soak can make an already torqueless car feel really gutless. :( I will agree though, a lightweight car with proper gearing and a small motor combined with a communicative chassis can feel fantastic: see E30 M3.

It's not that bad. I've driven my Miata in the Texas heat(100F+) and the only time I feel like I lose a lot of torque is when my car has been sitting under the sun for 5 hours plus. 2500lbs with 170hp and 140 ft-lbs torque. Really low numbers and all that but it rarely feels torqueless.

Speaking of Japanese car styling, the Miata says hi lol.

However, when it comes to hooning and driving around the city streets, it's really hard to beat a motor with a lot of torque, especially massive low end torque. Hence why I'm buying a Z06, lol. It's so satisfying to step on it in any car and get pushed back no matter the RPM. Great feeling.

I've been living in Dallas, Texas all year and I'm driving an air-cooled 911 so....yeah I'm familiar with heat soak, lol.

For city driving I wouldn't mind having a big torquey motor, but for city driving I'd rather have a GT car or a sport/luxury sedan. I'll save the high torque and power in a sportscar for the track. I used to have a 2000 911 (996) with 300hp and even that felt like too much for the open road sometimes, I don't know how people enjoy all the engine in their car on the road when it's pushing 500+.

For me it's all about keeping my foot planted and hearing a great engine note; if I'm only doing 60mph instead of 100mph it just means I have more time to hit the gas before I get back on the brakes.

BWDjjz3IAAAbmsQ.jpg:large

my lawd. I kkkkinda want one. maybe a test drive. k not really.

That Murano's jealous of the Benz in front of it and the proper roadster in the back.

And I agree with Dave Inc. Besides living in Dallas as well, I'd rather drive a decently powered car on the daily than a ridiculously high powered car. I really can't just see a use on the road for more than 450hp. I've driven a 'vette ZR1 and a Viper on the streets, and while they're still fantastic cars on the street, I really can't make that motor sing and the suspension dance.

AlphaSnake

I saw the Murano Cab a few times in NY.

And just Saturday while in Miami.

Ghastly thing, it is.

I wouldn't mind having a tour in one of those though.

reminds me of those open top tour vans in hollywood. remember having one manic driver going up and down the hills quite a bit above speed limit.

Started paint restoration a few days ago, gonna do the second round today sometime I think. The left side is untouched for comparison's sake, and so far it looks good! The oxidation is pretty bad so I'm impressed with the results so far.

AlphaSnake

Started paint restoration a few days ago, gonna do the second round today sometime I think. The left side is untouched for comparison's sake, and so far it looks good! The oxidation is pretty bad so I'm impressed with the results so far.

Hey man, that's great work!

TylerD

So, ceramic tint is pretty amazing. Fan speed 2 at 70 degrees is all I needed to stay comfortable on a couple of 90+ degree days so far and it stays so much cooler in the interior. Looks like it will take forever for it to fully cure though.

It metered at 24-25% when I got it inspected and now I have plates on the back (YAY!) and the front. (BOO!!!) I might get a tow hook mount for the front plate.

Who loves CNN? Not this guy.

Cost me about $620 for registration + tint removal/install + inspection. Sigh...

Congrats on your BRZ ChickDigger.

No Love

Banned
So, ceramic tint is pretty amazing. Fan speed 2 at 70 degrees is all I needed to stay comfortable on a couple of 90+ degree days so far and it stays so much cooler in the interior. Looks like it will take forever for it to fully cure though.

It metered at 24-25% when I got it inspected and now I have plates on the back (YAY!) and the front. (BOO!!!) I might get a tow hook mount for the front plate.

Who loves CNN? Not this guy.

Cost me about $620 for registration + tint removal/install + inspection. Sigh...

Congrats on your BRZ ChickDigger.

You've sold me on ceramic tint. As soon as I get my Z06, putting on 10% ceramic tint all around. Always wanted to try it. :D

What do you think of the LFT-86 Kit?
wi45.jpg

Wow... that actually looks good. It now looks like a proper baby LFA. If ever I'm gonna get one of the twins, I might be buying this kit.

...now I have plates on the back (YAY!) and the front. (BOO!!!) I might get a tow hook mount for the front plate.

I dunno how it is in Lubbock but here in North Texas, front plates are not necessarily required. I've chatted with a couple of local LEO's about it and while the state does require all vehicles to have a front plate, there are unwritten exceptions.

What I've been told is that if you can somehow make it look like the front bumper cannot accommodate a front license plate then you won't be in trouble. Same thing applies for a traffic stop, you get a warning and they're pretty much gonna tell you to put the front plate in. But if you're acting like a jackass on the road and you get stopped and ticketed, that fine is gonna be added on there.

I've been driving without a front license plate for more than a year now and I fortunately haven't gotten stopped for it yet.

I was out running yesterday when I saw what I thought was a Nissan Cube driving towards me. As I got closer, it kept getting larger and larger and larger! Turned out to be an NV3500. Had never seen one on the road before. That thing is huge.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was out running yesterday when I saw what I thought was a Nissan Cube driving towards me. As I got closer, it kept getting larger and larger and larger! Turned out to be an NV3500. Had never seen one on the road before. That thing is huge.

You are lucky it wasn't the Borg tbh.

i dont mind toyobaru eyes. its the stock tires that irk me.

So first time with any sort of car with manual mode + shifters or w/e. Not reeaaaallly a fan. Sure it works and is responsive enough, but i have a real hard time keeping track of which gear im in vs traditional shifter. Maybe if cars had all that info on the windshield, then maybe it would be better lol. Auto is still great for traffic commuting, but I feel like i'm gonna have to get a MT used miata for fun driving down the road someday when i have access to more garage space.

So first time with any sort of car with manual mode + shifters or w/e. Not reeaaaallly a fan. Sure it works and is responsive enough, but i have a real hard time keeping track of which gear im in vs traditional shifter. Maybe if cars had all that info on the windshield, then maybe it would be better lol. Auto is still great for traffic commuting, but I feel like i'm gonna have to get a MT used miata for fun driving down the road someday when i have access to more garage space.

Guys, maybe a dumb question, but is there such a thing as washing your car too much? I about a car a few weeks ago and if I wash it this weekend it'll be three weeks in a row.

Is that bad or does it not matter?

Isn't there a a way to get the current gear to show up next to the the mileage reading? I don't know if it is on the auto but the manual is supposed to have that option. (I don't have it turned on though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9dcC9dl3w

Isn't there a a way to get the current gear to show up next to the the mileage reading? I don't know if it is on the auto but the manual is supposed to have that option. (I don't have it turned on though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9dcC9dl3w

it does, but i don't like my eyes down on my tach all day :/

maybe if the car spoke out which gear i just shifted to it would be better :D

really curious if it somehow possible to do an auto with manual mode that is a traditional shifter somehow.

on a side note, brz auto in sports mode is quite good so i've been mostly using that. Only time i really go into manual mode is if I wanna stick my ass in 6th on the freeway.

it does, but i don't like my eyes down on my tach all day :/

maybe if the car spoke out which gear i just shifted to it would be better :D

really curious if it somehow possible to do an auto with manual mode that is a traditional shifter somehow.

on a side note, brz auto in sports mode is quite good so i've been mostly using that. Only time i really go into manual mode is if I wanna stick my ass in 6th on the freeway.

BMW has a couple of patents for a clutchless H-Shifter. I don't know if/when they plan to introduce it into a production model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom