• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

really curious if it somehow possible to do an auto with manual mode that is a traditional shifter somehow.

It'd be a little awkward, since neutral is in the middle of a traditional shifter, but you don't want to have to go through neutral with each shift on an automatic. So you'd probably need to put neutral somewhere else, along with park. I guess you'd also want the transmission to be able to skip gears, which some automatics can do. Automatics typically prevent you from shifting too low or too high, so I'm not sure what you'd want to do there. Perhaps some mechanism like in Tremec's transmissions that can block out gears if unavailable.

BMW has a couple of patents for a clutchless H-Shifter. I don't know if/when they plan to introduce it into a production model.

Is theirs a conventional automatic, or a conventional manual that controls the clutch automatically, like Saab had? On Top Gear's farewell to Saab, they demonstrated the issue with it. Basically, lack of control of the clutch made it extremely difficult to park on an incline.

It'd be a little awkward, since neutral is in the middle of a traditional shifter, but you don't want to have to go through neutral with each shift on an automatic. So you'd probably need to put neutral somewhere else, along with park. I guess you'd also want the transmission to be able to skip gears, which some automatics can do. Automatics typically prevent you from shifting too low or too high, so I'm not sure what you'd want to do there. Perhaps some mechanism like in Tremec's transmissions that can block out gears if unavailable.

the shifter moves by itself in automatic would be hilariously scary and awesome.

Is theirs a conventional automatic, or a conventional manual that controls the clutch automatically, like Saab had? On Top Gear's farewell to Saab, they demonstrated the issue with it. Basically, lack of control of the clutch made it extremely difficult to park on an incline.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701345

They claim they are able to use MR fluids to block certain shift gates. When you move the lever, the ECU calculates if is safe to move into that gear. If it is, it unlocks that gate, lets you move the lever, disengages the clutch and changes the gear.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

With computers now detecting grade/angle change and adjusting transmission response as a result, that should not be an issue on any future clutchless manual (modern day single clutch and dual clutch transmissions apply light throttle when off the brake pedal). It'll probably work much like BMW's SMG transmission did, but certainly preventing excessive rollback or forward in reverse.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How is this achieved? According to the design, the shift gates are surrounded by a magnetorheologic or electrorheologic fluid. Relying on various sensors, a computerized shifting module calculates which gears are proper and which gears are wrong to select, given the driving situation (e.g. system will not allow shifting to 5th gear at 10mph or -- way worse -- shifting to 1st gear at 100mph). To prevent an improper shift, a magnetic field or electric voltage is applied to change the viscosity of the fluid, which will physically block the engaging of certain gears. This process is illustrated in the first diagram below.

That's really fucking cool, but how often does an experienced driver mis-shift into 1st gear at 100MPH?

what does 'hill assist' feature do on manuals?

I mean i know what it does, but what does it actually do?

I think in most cars with the feature, the brake continues to hold for an additional couple of seconds or so after you take your foot of the brake pedal (when the car detects that it is on an incline).

AlphaSnake

That's really fucking cool, but how often does an experienced driver mis-shift into 1st gear at 100MPH?

It sounds crazy, but a 4 to 1 shift can happen in the middle of a turn since the transmission actually twists when the car pivots and a result the gate does slightly shift over depending on the angle of the turn. I've felt the sensation before on really tight hairpins, but it was the opposite: I went from 2nd into 5th coming out of a tight left.

Fortunately my car has gate lockouts described by BMW, so it's rather impossible to do something stupid like go from 5th to 2nd and blow the motor. In fact, the 370Zs are even very hesitant to let you downshift to 1st if you're going faster than 25MPH in another gear.

It definitely happens, especially in track situations when both the vehicle and the driver are under pressure. At the mid-ohio high performance school they always talk about that one guy that tried to skip-shift 5->3 going into the turn off the back straight and dumped it into 1st. Blew the engine to bits in a heartbeat.

It sounds crazy, but a 4 to 1 shift can happen in the middle of a turn since the transmission actually twists when the car pivots and a result the gate does slightly shift over depending on the angle of the turn. I've felt the sensation before on really tight hairpins, but it was the opposite: I went from 2nd into 5th coming out of a tight left.

Fortunately my car has gate lockouts described by BMW, so it's rather impossible to do something stupid like go from 5th to 2nd and blow the motor. In fact, the 370Zs are even very hesitant to let you downshift to 1st if you're going faster than 25MPH in another gear.

I didn't even think about the transmission moving around on the mounts, I think I've felt that before where the gates feel out of alignment in a turn. As far as putting it into 1st, that's just the synchros crying out in pain--you're forcing the synchro to spin the gear and input shaft to a much higher rpm than they already are and the synchro's just not designed for that. Rev the engine in neutral to spin up the transmission and it will slip right into 1st gear at (almost) any speed.

AlphaSnake

It definitely happens, especially in track situations when both the vehicle and the driver are under pressure. At the mid-ohio high performance school they always talk about that one guy that tried to skip-shift 5->3 going into the turn off the back straight and dumped it into 1st. Blew the engine to bits in a heartbeat.

I didn't even think about the transmission moving around on the mounts, I think I've felt that before where the gates feel out of alignment in a turn. As far as putting it into 1st, that's just the synchros crying out in pain--you're forcing the synchro to spin the gear and input shaft to a much higher rpm than they already are and the synchro's just not designed for that. Rev the engine in neutral to spin up the transmission and it will slip right into 1st gear at (almost) any speed.

Hahaha, yeah. I never tried it. I know it's hell on transmissions. My buddy got a Genesis R-Spec and destroyed the driveshaft and rear end in 2 months from constant abuse (Z's carbon fiber driveshafts FTW!). I've also never wanted to try that clutchless shifter slip just using the throttle. It feels so...wrong. :|

TylerD

With greater power, IE manual trans comes greater responsibility. I try to avoid shifting into 1st unless I'm not already moving or just creeping in 2nd.

No Love

Banned
With greater power, IE manual trans comes greater responsibility. I try to avoid shifting into 1st unless I'm not already moving or just creeping in 2nd.

I only shift into 1st at about 10-15 mph. 1st has so much engine braking that it's a bitch to get into.

And welp, looks like I'll be buying a Z06 before the end of October. I think I'm gonna have a PPI done on that '06 in Virginia, and if it passes, I'll go fly out, drive it, and ship it back.

Anyone in VA wanna go with? Never been to VA so a tour guide would be welcome. All meals + drinks + gas are on me for the day.

Heh when I was learning how to drive stick on my Miata I went from 5->2 instead of 5->4. 40mph/2500rpms shot up to 6000rpms without rev-matching... scared the shit out of me lol. That's the worse thing I can do it on though. It has a shift lock at 1st anytime you're above 10mph. You either gotta slow down or double clutch it to get in and it's really unnecessary as 2nd is perfectly fine.

I think the only way somebody can misshift into some ridiculously high speed is with a dogleg.

E30_M3_Euro_Shifter.jpg

Yikes, I wouldn't wanna shift from 5->3 on that one.

No Love

Banned
Heh when I was learning how to drive stick on my Miata I went from 5->2 instead of 5->4. 40mph/2500rpms shot up to 6000rpms without rev-matching... scared the shit out of me lol. That's the worse thing I can do it on though. It has a shift lock at 1st anytime you're above 10mph. You either gotta slow down or double clutch it to get in and it's really unnecessary as 2nd is perfectly fine.

I think the only way somebody can misshift into some ridiculously high speed is with a dogleg.

E30_M3_Euro_Shifter.jpg

Yikes, I wouldn't wanna shift from 5->3 on that one.

E30 shifter is actually very very awesome. I never had problems with mine, the 5 to 3 shift is great.

AlphaSnake

I don't find myself using 1st much at all once I'm out of it. Even stop signs I can roll through at a creeping pace without as much as a buck (torque is obviously needed for this). I can creep around in 2nd at 3MPH just fine, parking lots and such.

No Love

Banned
I don't find myself using 1st much at all once I'm out of it. Even stop signs I can roll through at a creeping pace without as much as a buck (torque is obviously needed for this). I can creep around in 2nd at 3MPH just fine, parking lots and such.

Hell, even on a 4 cyl you can use 2nd gear. 1st gear feels like junk in parking lots, way too sensitive and revs too fast. 2nd gear rules.

Got a 2011 Camaro SS but I'm considering trading it in for something go fast with four doors. Recommendations? I'll accept used too, if it's 2009+ and fast.
20-35k range.

No Love

Banned
Dat back end. Hnnngggg *clutches chest*

attachment.php

God I fucking love that.

But I'll probably skip the 991 for now and get a 997.1 or 997.2 911 Turbo in a year or two. 997 is just so fucking awesome!!

Got a 2011 Camaro SS but I'm considering trading it in for something go fast with four doors. Recommendations? I'll accept used too, if it's 2009+ and fast.

CTS V. It's like a Camaro if the Camaro wasn't ugly and slow. Plus the blower on the CTS V means adding 100-200 whp extra is shit simple. I'm really considering getting a CTS V as a 3rd or 4th car, they are just so awesome.

About $38-40k used.

FStop7

Banned
I had a close encounter on the 101 with a matte black Aventador. Green brake calipers. :drool x 10000. One of the very, very few cars that looks like it was born to be matte black.

We played around a little on the highway, he would murder me in any kind of a race but it was fun making exhaust noises at each other. That V12 sounded so fucking good on downshifts. *Crack!* *Crack!*

No Love

Banned
There's not much better in that range with 4 doors, though.You mentioned the CTS-V, which would be a good choice, but that's probably hard to come by in that price range.

There are tons of them available for $45k or less, and a few you can grab for $38-40k. They're getting really really cheap now. I bet in a couple years they'll be $30k or so.

ascii42

There are tons of them available for $45k or less, and a few you can grab for $38-40k. They're getting really really cheap now. I bet in a couple years they'll be $30k or so.

That's not too far beyond his upper price range limit. I suppose it depends on how strict that limit is or what sort of time frame he's got.

(and I may need to look into CTS-V wagons in the future)

AlphaSnake

All of you guys are wrong. The correct answer is:

20-35k range.

Find a Pontiac G8 GT or G8 GXP. They both boast an LS motor that is largely the same as what you have in your Camaro now. Plus the car is rather pretty and aggressive and extremely collectible. It's definitely in your price range.

coldfoot

Banned
All of you guys are wrong. The correct answer is:

Find a Pontiac G8 GT or G8 GXP. They both boast an LS motor that is largely the same as what you have in your Camaro now. Plus the car is rather pretty and aggressive and extremely collectible. It's definitely in your price range.

GXP's are way overpriced as everyone thinks they have a classic in their hands that will go for million dollars in the future, and GT's are definitely slower than a SS. Average price 30k for GXP. I'd rather spring for the CTS-V which is much faster and has a lot more tech.
There are also some nice 09 C63 AMG's for 35-38k, but I have no clue how their reliability is. Not as fast as the CTS-V obviously, but I'd take them over the CTS-V mainly due to styling and being German.

ascii42

At this point I think it'd be better to try to save for a Chevy SS or wait for the prices to come down rather than get a G8 GXP, unless you really want the manual.

AlphaSnake

At this point I think it'd be better to try to save for a Chevy SS or wait for the prices to come down rather than get a G8 GXP, unless you really want the manual.

The Chevy SS is kind of big and chunky looking. Doesn't exactly give off a sport vibe. Plus it's also meant to be a super sporty GT cruiser. The G8/Holden was a sport-sedan first. :)

ascii42

The Chevy SS is kind of big and chunky looking. Doesn't exactly give off a sport vibe. Plus it's also meant to be a super sporty GT cruiser. The G8/Holden was a sport-sedan first. :)

Actually, I'd hazard a guess that the while Chevy SS is Super Sporty, but the it's the G8 GT that is a Grand Tourer, and the G8 GXP is a, uh...Gran Xtreme Prix? Got Xtra Performance? Gone Xtinct Pontiac?

No Love

Banned
GXP's are way overpriced as everyone thinks they have a classic in their hands that will go for million dollars in the future, and GT's are definitely slower than a SS. Average price 30k for GXP. I'd rather spring for the CTS-V which is much faster and has a lot more tech.
There are also some nice 09 C63 AMG's for 35-38k, but I have no clue how their reliability is. Not as fast as the CTS-V obviously, but I'd take them over the CTS-V mainly due to styling and being German.

I'd take the CTS V simply because if shit breaks on the AMG, you're gonna get a German fist up your bootiehole when it comes to fixing it.

CTS-V is way, way cheaper to repair/maintain.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd take the CTS V simply because if shit breaks on the AMG, you're gonna get a German fist up your bootiehole when it comes to fixing it.

CTS-V is way, way cheaper to repair/maintain.

But which one is more likely to break?
I wouldn't get a CTS-V on the looks alone, but that's just me. Absolutely hate Cadillac styling.

No Love

Banned
But which one is more likely to break?
I wouldn't get a CTS-V on the looks alone, but that's just me. Absolutely hate Cadillac styling.

AMG is far more likely to break. LSx drivetrain is bulletproof. And anything else in the car is way cheaper to fix than a Mercedes.

Seat heaters are so amazing. Never owned a car before that had them.

If I had a longer commute, I might even come around to not making fun of temperature-controlled cup holders.

Ty4on

Hell, even on a 4 cyl you can use 2nd gear. 1st gear feels like junk in parking lots, way too sensitive and revs too fast. 2nd gear rules.

Sadly not true with a
turbo

I hate first/second with crappy electronic throttles, but with a proper throttle it's not that hard to be smooth. Unnecessary slipping of the clutch is the worst thing I know so when second dips below idle speed it's down to first. Also when second runs out of boost in hills like this one.

With computers now detecting grade/angle change and adjusting transmission response as a result, that should not be an issue on any future clutchless manual (modern day single clutch and dual clutch transmissions apply light throttle when off the brake pedal). It'll probably work much like BMW's SMG transmission did, but certainly preventing excessive rollback or forward in reverse.
Are there any decent automated manuals out there though? I struggle to see the point of this. Manuals for me give a great feeling of being in control, but this sounds worse than a standard automatic having to negotiate with the computer when changing gears.
Seat heaters are so amazing. Never owned a car before that had them.

If I had a longer commute, I might even come around to not making fun of temperature-controlled cup holders.
Move someplace cold. I found it strange learning about how electric seats some places were more common than heated because you'll find Hyundais from the 90s that came with heated seats as standard here :p
Really wish the same could happen to heated steering wheels because it takes so much time for it to heat up and with the heat pointed towards my hands I end up with a wheel that is red hot at 10 and 2 and freezing everywhere else. Heated cup holders and a long commute sounds awesome.

Move someplace cold. I found it strange learning about how electric seats some places were more common than heated because you'll find Hyundais from the 90s that came with heated seats as standard here :p
Really wish the same could happen to heated steering wheels because it takes so much time for it to heat up and with the heat pointed towards my hands I end up with a wheel that is red hot at 10 and 2 and freezing everywhere else. Heated cup holders and a long commute sounds awesome.

I live in Michigan. :D This winter commute should be more bearable, compared to driving a car with no seat heaters and an HVAC system that took about 10 minutes to get going.

Espresso

Banned
AutoGAF, what say you?

vs.

I can't get over how ugly the new RR Sport is. I saw one in a magazine recently and I thought I was looking at an Evoque, which is itself horrendous looking.

Now that Land Rover and Toyota have ruined their flagship SUVs with offensive body styles, that leaves M-B with the only attractive SUV left on the market (the Geländewagen).

AlphaSnake

Sadly not true with a
turbo

Are there any decent automated manuals out there though? I struggle to see the point of this. Manuals for me give a great feeling of being in control, but this sounds worse than a standard automatic having to negotiate with the computer when changing gears.

Technically any single or dual clutch transmission is an automated manual. And Lexus, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin have some great shifting single clutch units. Essentially, the only difference we'd have here would be instead of up and down, you'd have an H-gated shifter.

AlphaSnake

Yes, keep going. It's looking really nice. Another two passes on the hood should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom