• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
manual mode in auto cars... I am i crazy, or does it feel backwards? I feel like shift up should be 'down' tilt on the stick, not up. At least I click with the paddles.

That's how I configure the controller in GT5, up to downshift, down to upshift. I think it comes from 3-4 being the most common shift to make in a normal 5-speed.

Would you guys pay 200 bucks to drive a lambo gallardo lp560-4 for 3 laps? There is a track day coming up and I'm thinking about it.

I'd pay $100 just to sit in a Lambo and rev the engine a few times, $200 to actually drive it is a fucking steal.

new renders of mustang...

[MG]http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697&d=1381846209[/IMG]
[MG]http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1691&d=1381812019[/IMG]

looks ok... but not really digging it trying to get all... fusiony and... a bit old honday?

That is the ugliest Mustang I have ever seen. It looks like a Hyundai.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

attachment.php

attachment.php

looks ok... but not really digging it trying to get all... fusiony and... a bit old honday?

Ford must be ceding the pony car market to Chevrolet if that's legit.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It looks like an evolution of a 4th gen Mustang rather than a 6th gen one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Okay AutoGAF, so I know they're two different classes of cars but.... Mercedes CLA or Infiniti Q50? My friend is trying to make a decision right now.

Zoolader

Okay AutoGAF, so I know they're two different classes of cars but.... Mercedes CLA or Infiniti Q50? My friend is trying to make a decision right now.

I can't get over that led grill on the cla, it's so tacky. The Q50 seemed like it would be a successor to the Q45 but it's basically a rebadged G37. So while the Q50 will be about the same price as a G37 of the past, you can get a new G37 while they are making them concurrently but for less money.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Q50 by a mile. Absolutely sensational looking interior, handsome looks, the VQ37 is still a superb motor, and so is the transmission. It also handles really well too being that it's lower than the outgoing G37 by quite a bit.

I can't get over that led grill on the cla, it's so tacky. The Q50 seemed like it would be a successor to the Q45 but it's basically a rebadged G37. So while the Q50 will be about the same price as a G37 of the past, you can get a new G37 while they are making them concurrently but for less money.

I don't think you know what rebadged means.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

attachment.php

attachment.php

that is fucking heinous. It's like the designer looked at the rear quarter of an Audi A7 and thought to himself, "you know that's beautiful, but what it really needs is a massive slab of cheesy spoiler with a soupcon of ugly square trunk."

Zoolader

I wasn't trying to say they were the same car, excuse me for the brief quick post. But either a g37 or a Q50 would be better than a cla. He was concerned the Q50 was not near the same price so the G37 is more of a middle ground.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

The Q50 by a mile. Absolutely sensational looking interior, handsome looks, the VQ37 is still a superb motor, and so is the transmission. It also handles really well too being that it's lower than the outgoing G37 by quite a bit.

Ya he's leaning towards the Q50 as well. Just he can't figure out whether the Q50 is worth the extra $4k more in the base price (I think it is).

He test drove a brand new G37x AWD as well, but the Q50 is just a sexier car both inside and out, so he's not even considering the G despite its lower price.

coldfoot

Banned
Any Q50 reviews without that "simulated steering tuned by Sebastian Vettel" option that supposedly kills all steering feel and makes it like driving a computer?

AlphaSnake

Any Q50 reviews without that "simulated steering tuned by Sebastian Vettel" option that supposedly kills all steering feel and makes it like driving a computer?

Oh the variable steering option. Yeah, it's an odd option which isn't even a true electric steering system...there's a clutch (yes a clutch) that links the wheel to the column. So the steering feel is actually rather direct feeling. It feels reeeally weird at low speeds as the ratio varies and eases up the tension. But at speed, the steering really tightens up and response is immediate and extremely direct.

Still, I personally prefer the linearity of the standard power steering system.

I don't recall which reviews have a car without the option though.

coldfoot

Banned
Oh the variable steering option. Yeah, it's an odd option which isn't even a true electric steering system...there's a clutch (yes a clutch) that links the wheel to the column. So the steering feel is actually rather direct feeling. It feels reeeally weird at low speeds as the ratio varies and eases up the tension. But at speed, the steering really tightens up and response is immediate and extremely direct.

Still, I personally prefer the linearity of the standard power steering system.
Actually, the steering isn't connected to the wheels at all except only if the system fails. It's simulated steering.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I've spent $200 on much stupider things. Where's this event?

Important: Are you familiar with the track? If you aren't it's going to dilute the fun you have since your focus will shift away from enjoying the car and towards learning the course.

It's in south carolina, november 10th. Carolina motorsports park to be specific. Never been there, and I don't know what to expect. They supposedly sit you down in a class for 30 minutes, sign a waiver, give you a helmet and let you drive 3 laps in a super car.

Is there a good site that lists cargo space with the rear seats down (where applicable) in sedans? Most marque websites don't have this information and I'm curious about looking at the numbers.

I suppose you could figure it out by taking rear passenger volume dimensions, but I'd rather not do more work if I don't need to.

ShowDog

I'm 27. I've been driving a 4-cyl 5-speed Ford Ranger for the last decade. I had a brief moment of glory with a restored 67 El Camino with a 350 that could burn out through second gear before a cooling system failure killed it in my HS years. I'm looking for something around 15k (used, southern california market) and I have narrowed my list down to a bunch of different options. Now I need to go test drive some of these suckers! Any input is welcome. I love driving stick so that is preferred, especially if it's something lacking in the power department.

BMW Z4
VW GTI 4-door
Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Honda S2000
BMW M3 e46

I've got full clearance from the wife to get whatever the hell I want, so a 2 seater is fine, but all things equal 4 seats is better because I won't have to lose it if we have a kid in the next few years. I like the idea of convertibles, but the only ones that really speak to me are the m3 and z4. I'll let you all know my progress over the next few weeks and months.

AlphaSnake

My vote is the Z. (What a shock, I know)

The others are either too expensive to maintain (BMWs), too slow (GTI, Mazda) or perhaps a bit slow-ish with virtually no practicality and creature comfort (S2000).

coldfoot

Banned
I'm 27. I've been driving a 4-cyl 5-speed Ford Ranger for the last decade. I had a brief moment of glory with a restored 67 El Camino with a 350 that could burn out through second gear before a cooling system failure killed it in my HS years. I'm looking for something around 15k (used, southern california market) and I have narrowed my list down to a bunch of different options. Now I need to go test drive some of these suckers! Any input is welcome. I love driving stick so that is preferred, especially if it's something lacking in the power department.

BMW Z4
VW GTI 4-door
Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Honda S2000
BMW M3 e46

I've got full clearance from the wife to get whatever the hell I want, so a 2 seater is fine, but all things equal 4 seats is better because I won't have to lose it if we have a kid in the next few years. I like the idea of convertibles, but the only ones that really speak to me are the m3 and z4. I'll let you all know my progress over the next few weeks and months.

2003 Boxster S?

ascii42

Is there a good site that lists cargo space with the rear seats down (where applicable) in sedans? Most marque websites don't have this information and I'm curious about looking at the numbers.

I suppose you could figure it out by taking rear passenger volume dimensions, but I'd rather not do more work if I don't need to.
Don't think I've ever seen that information. Plus, really you'd also need to know the height and width of the opening between the trunk and rear seat.

ShowDog

My vote is the Z. (What a shock, I know)

The others are either too expensive to maintain (BMWs), too slow (GTI, Mazda) or perhaps a bit slow-ish with virtually no practicality and creature comfort (S2000).

The 350z seems to have everything going for it on paper, but I'll have to try it out to see. Just looking at pictures of it doesn't make me swoon.

I really love the BMWs, especially the z4. But to get a decent one I would be towards the top of my budget, and I am worried about overstepping what I want to spend to maintain the damn things.

coldfoot said:
2003 Boxster S?

My cousin picked up one of these (but non-S) for about $13k and has put probably something like 60k miles on it. It drives great, sounds great, and looks decent enough. But if BMW maintenance worries me than Porsche maintenance terrifies me. One anecdotal experience from a cousin isn't gonna change that.

coldfoot

Banned
My cousin picked up one of these (but non-S) for about $13k and has put probably something like 60k miles on it. It drives great, sounds great, and looks decent enough. But if BMW maintenance worries me than Porsche maintenance terrifies me. One anecdotal experience from a cousin isn't gonna change that.
I thought 2000+ Porsche's are way better mechanically than BMW's, and are more reliable, hence my suggestion.

Ty4on

Porsches are usually very reliable which I guess is the reason why the 911 prices seem to never go down. In TÜV's reliability report from 2011 the Boxster came first in reliability for 4-5 year old cars, second best in 6-7 and 8-9 and third best in cars 10-11 years old. 10-11 year old Boxsters had an average of 11.2% major defects, the average for 4-5 year old cars was 10.4% and for 6-7 was 16.7%. Source with PDF link and this page has several TÜV results.

BMW Z4
VW GTI 4-door
Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Honda S2000
BMW M3 e46

Z4 is way too soft and relaxed.
GTIs are incredibly uninspired and feel like mush.
350z are decent, but feel a tad heavy, and all the manual trans up until 2006 were garbage.
RX-8. Decent looking,4 doors, 9000rpm redline. Horrible engine, eats oil, terrible MPG.
Honda S2000. My Vote goes here. Earlier ones are more prone to snap oversteer, but have a higher redline, and less torque.
E46 M3. Good looks, incredibly smooth and powerful inline 6, but its a maintenance nightmare. 13 dollar a quart oil, valve adjustments with stupid shims, vanos bolts backing out destroying heads, earlier cars have weak rod bearings that like to go out. Stay away unless you want to dump 7k+ a year in maintenance.

Porsches are usually very reliable which I guess is the reason why the 911 prices seem to never go down. In TÜV's reliability report from 2011 the Boxster came first in reliability for 4-5 year old cars, second best in 6-7 and 8-9 and third best in cars 10-11 years old. 10-11 year old Boxsters had an average of 11.2% major defects, the average for 4-5 year old cars was 10.4% and for 6-7 was 16.7%. Source with PDF link and this page has several TÜV results.

Let me tell you how coil packs for a 911 cost over a grand. Porsches are a waste of money for the performance they offer. Look elsewhere.

coldfoot

Banned
I second the G35 coupe suggestion. Looks better than the 350Z, drives about the same, more refined and comfortable, and has rear seats big enough for small kids, and you can get a newer model year than a Porsche, instead of 03, you'll be looking into 06-07, which means less issues.

Autogaf, I was hoping you could answer what would seem to be a simple question. I am planning on purchasing a new car in the next couple of days and I've been pre-apporved for a $20,000 loan by m Credit Union.

If the car I want is $27,000 out the door, do I have to pay the whole difference at the time of purchase?

If not will I be paying the loan back monthly to both the CU and the dealership ($20,000 to the bank and $7,000 to the dealership)?

Or does the dealership take control of the loan and I would be paying back the total loan directly through the dealership or whatever financial institution they use?

Autogaf, I was hoping you could answer what would seem to be a simple question. I am planning on purchasing a new car in the next couple of days and I've been pre-apporved for a $20,000 loan by m Credit Union.

If the car I want is $27,000 out the door, do I have to pay the whole difference at the time of purchase?

If not will I be paying the loan back monthly to both the CU and the dealership ($20,000 to the bank and $7,000 to the dealership)?

Or does the dealership take control of the loan and I would be paying back the total loan directly through the dealership or whatever financial institution they use?

You will need to give the dealer $7000 (cash or personal cheque) and the cheque from your CU for $20000. The dealer will get in touch with your CU and arrange for the paperwork. Lien holders name on title will be your CU and the dealer is not involved anymore.

You will need to give the dealer $7000 (cash or personal cheque) and the cheque from your CU for $20000. The dealer will get in touch with your CU and arrange for the paperwork. Lien holders name on title will be your CU and the dealer is not involved anymore.

Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll have to reconsider my purchase or try to negotiate a lower price.

Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll have to reconsider my purchase or try to negotiate a lower price.

How much money do you want to put down? $4000 maybe? You can ask your dealer for a better deal. Along with asking for a lower out the door price (which you should attempt), you can also negotiate with your dealer for financing. Tell them that your CU offered you 20,000 at X%, can they do 23000 at X%.

You should always look at the financing numbers and the out the door price separately. Don't let the dealer put both on one piece of paper and confuse you.

Dealers usually get some money back from the lender if the finance deal is through them. So it is in their best interest to get you a deal as well.

E46 M3. Good looks, incredibly smooth and powerful inline 6, but its a maintenance nightmare. 13 dollar a quart oil, valve adjustments with stupid shims, vanos bolts backing out destroying heads, earlier cars have weak rod bearings that like to go out. Stay away unless you want to dump 7k+ a year in maintenance.

And lets not forget the rear subframe failure... I can't believe they missed the subframe pulling away from the bottom of the car...

Let me tell you how coil packs for a 911 cost over a grand. Porsches are a waste of money for the performance they offer. Look elsewhere.

I think you mean $300 tops, ignition coils are under $50 a pop, and they're pretty easy to replace (on a 996, at least).

Porsche parts are more expensive than many domestic or import manufacturers, but their basic maintenance is fairly reasonable if you are willing to work on it yourself. I wouldn't want to spend the money doing regular maintenance at a shop or dealer.

If something big breaks, though, it's $$$lol$$$.

That said, the prices for parts on my '06 Volvo have been worse than my '82 911. A flywheel for this stupid thing is over $1000 and a new clutch master cylinder is looking like $250 (and it's just a little doohickey behind the pedal). It's really starting to piss me off that it costs so much to maintain such a boring car.

No Love

Banned
350z are decent, but feel a tad heavy, and all the manual trans up until 2006 were garbage.
RX-8. Decent looking,4 doors, 9000rpm redline. Horrible engine, eats oil, terrible MPG.
Honda S2000. My Vote goes here. Earlier ones are more prone to snap oversteer, but have a higher redline, and less torque.

Agreed 100x. S2000 is by far the best of those cars. Plus they are APPRECIATING in value as time goes on. You can drive it, put 20-30k miles on it, and sell it for more than you paid in most cases! Plus the reliability is stellar.

ShowDog

Aw man, you just blew out all my options. The lesson being nothing is perfect. I'm at Carmax on my lunch and they have every single car I'm interested in just waiting to go for a spin. I'll let ya know how it goes over the next few days.

Actually, they do have several g37 and an s2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom