• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Core407 said:
You're actually expecting this car to not suck? :lol

Ugh, reviews will blithely mention the good points, then summarize with a lot of bullshit about "soul" so they don't have to compare it to better cars.

zhenming

akachan ningen said:
Is it because of iDrive? It's a good thing it's optional in the 1-series, I've heard nothing but complaints about it.
I have idrive in my 3 and I can see where the complainers are coming from and on top of that inputing information is pretty hard. The newer idrive though is wayyy better, but still not enough to get me to add it on my 1. BMW has a long ways to go to catch up to say Lexus in this department. Although BMW isnt in it for all the tech. So it surprised me that the 7 has an electrical shaver :lol :lol :lol

Core407

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Ugh, reviews will blithely mention the good points, then summarize with a lot of bullshit about "soul" so they don't have to compare it to better cars.

I think the car looks good on the exterior but interior wise, it's complete shit and I'm sure it won't do anything amazing in terms of technology in the car. I'd rather see some random Japanese car company create their version of what a modern Camaro would be. I bet it would be a lot more appealing and exciting.

Zyzyxxz

Core407 said:
I think the car looks good on the exterior but interior wise, it's complete shit and I'm sure it won't do anything amazing in terms of technology in the car. I'd rather see some random Japanese car company create their version of what a modern Camaro would be. I bet it would be a lot more appealing and exciting.

That would only sell if Toyota/Honda/Nissan spun off a new car brand and didn't affiliate themselves with it in any way but I'd seriously like to see that.

Interior wise most American sports cars are bleh. I'll only forgive the Corette because the ZR1 is so hot.

Core407

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
That would only sell if Toyota/Honda/Nissan spun off a new car brand and didn't affiliate themselves with it in any way but I'd seriously like to see that.

Interior wise most American sports cars are bleh. I'll only forgive the Corette because the ZR1 is so hot.

I don't even mean to produce it, just as a show piece for an auto show or something. Something along the lines of what Ford did with the Mustang Giugiaro concept.

g_mustang_1280_01.jpg

Such a beautiful car.

Core407 said:
I don't even mean to produce it, just as a show piece for an auto show or something. Something along the lines of what Ford did with the Mustang Giugiaro concept.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/g_mustang_1280_01.jpg[img]

Such a beautiful car.[/QUOTE]

lol, that looks about a thousand times better than the actual Mustang we have now. So of course there's no way Ford would ever make it.

But anyway, Toyota did make a retro-inspired car:
[IMG]http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2007_FJCruiser/12-05_Images/07_fj_cruiser08.jpg
That's not my cup of tea, but it does a better job of combining the old and the new than the Mustang or Challenger.

I wish toyota would make a new version of the original Celica:
Celica_ra28.jpg

But of course, Toyota is boring as shit now so they probably won't ever make a fun car again.

Also pie in the sky, I wish Audi would make a car that looked like the old quattro, at least in the profile and sharp fenders. With similar dimensions too! All the new retro cars are so inflated in every way.
112_0707_14z+audi_quattro+front_profile.jpg

robox

akachan ningen said:

But of course, Toyota is boring as shit now so they probably won't ever make a fun car again.

fuck yeah. best toyota ever. i wish i had some pictures handy... but... best toyota ever!

there's that upcoming toyota/subaru small rwd sporty coupe. but i haven't seen anything concrete yet. and it only goes back to the 86 era. needs more 70s era, mini-camaro rip off styling

Zyzyxxz

akachan ningen said:
But anyway, Toyota did make a retro-inspired car:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/ArticlesToyota/2007_FJCruiser/12-05_Images/07_fj_cruiser08.jpg
That's not my cup of tea, but it does a better job of combining the old and the new than the Mustang or Challenger.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Celica_ra28.jpg

Same I wish one of the Japanese car companies make a new car with the exact looks of one of their 70's models but with modern day comforts.

I like the FJ cruiser too, it seems like its built for the purpose of what SUV's should be doing, offroading/going into the wilderness.

r - b - x said:
fuck yeah. best toyota ever. i wish i had some pictures handy... but... best toyota ever!

there's that upcoming toyota/subaru small rwd sporty coupe. but i haven't seen anything concrete yet. and it only goes back to the 86 era. needs more 70s era, mini-camaro rip off styling

Too bad its not coming until 2011/2012, who really knows. IMO the Gensis coupe has taken the reigns as the cheap RWD car for the 20K range. Too bad its not very light so it cant really compare with the AE86/Corolla GTS and Silvia/240sx cars.

golem

akachan ningen said:
Is it because of iDrive? It's a good thing it's optional in the 1-series, I've heard nothing but complaints about it.
The new iDrive is really easy to use and now that its hard drive based its alot more snappy as well. I'd definitely recommend getting it.

zhenming

this is the guy, rich parents. Bought him an m3, then the GTR. Ehh, natural selection at its finest. He's getting another GTR at the end of all of this at the ripe age of 20. IMHO people really need to learn how to drive with at least a beater/bucket til they know the basics before moving on...

n6316355_32181176_4973.jpg

zhenming

daw840 said:
just dont like clothes that have holes in them when they are brand new. another reason i didn't let the dealership wax and wash my cars causing swirls on my car before i picked it up. I'd rather it be my own dumbass causing the mistakes.

J-Rzez

twinturbo2 said:
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/

According to Jalopnik, the SS can run from 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds and return 24 MPG on the highway, and the LT model can get 29 on the highway.

Chevy should just stick to Vettes, Camaro's, and Pick Ups. They're the only thing that they do right. The new Camaro is retro done right. I'm more of a WRX/EVO guy for that price range personally, but that Camaro is fuck-awesome. Then again, maybe it's because I owned 3 F-bodies already. Regardless, it's fucking hot, and though I know it probably wouldn't handle as well, if I wanted a RWD fun car, it would be that Camaro instead of a Nissan Z. :X

Zyzyxxz

Toyota is planning to release a new Scion at the New York Auto show.

Hmm could it be the Toyota iQ rebadged or a successor to the successful but "boring" tC?

In more interesting news the FT-HS concept which was rumored to be the spiritual successor to the Supra might now become the spiritual successor to the MR2 to compete with Honda's CR-Z hybrid sport compact.

Toyota's might be RWD and is a hybrid too. I'm not putting too much hope on this as Toyota has only disappointed me before.
toyota-ft-hs-concept-front-view.jpg

J-Rzez

Zyzyxxz said:
Toyota's might be RWD and is a hybrid too. I'm not putting too much hope on this as Toyota has only disappointed me before.
toyota-ft-hs-concept-front-view.jpg

Yes, yes they have. Outside of the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma, they have made nothing to write home about, and one's a SUV the other a Pick up. Toyota went from the most awesome line up of cars, to one of the most boring. I have little faith in them.

Spiritual successor to the Supra? No. Unless it's a Targa, TT 6cyl, then it won't be. As far as the "MR2", unless it's a Turbo-4, bleh.

TTG

Javaman

zhenming said:
wow at buick... maybe its because they sell so few cars causing the scale to be skewed??

Or maybe the old people/drivers forget what the problem was while on the way to the repair shop.

Zyzyxxz

Javaman said:
Or maybe the old people/drivers forget what the problem was while on the way to the repair shop.

:lol

well either way it doesn't get me to buy a Buick.

I'm more inclined to consider an Audi though. RS4 :D

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Does the VDS still count complaints like "my cupholder is not big enough to hold my 32oz soda canister" as a "problem"?

Those surveys do have some amazingly stupid things on them. Car companies have to time how quickly they can open and close the trunk and all kinds of crap, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Zyzyxxz

Flizzzipper said:
Those surveys do have some amazingly stupid things on them. Car companies have to time how quickly they can open and close the trunk and all kinds of crap, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

true, its very difficult to guage real technical problems on the JD survey results.

The best we can do it make estimated guesses that a certain portion of the results are simple shit.

Zyzyxxz

Viperbah

So I got a race with a new charger this weekend.....a friend of a friend apparantly has one and wants to give it a go....i dont know if he has any mods yet.....has anyone had any actual experiance with them or seen track numbers not posted in car mags?

daw840

bah321 said:
So I got a race with a new charger this weekend.....a friend of a friend apparantly has one and wants to give it a go....i dont know if he has any mods yet.....has anyone had any actual experiance with them or seen track numbers not posted in car mags?

No, but I saw one take off from a light the other day. It was very fast!

daw840

bah321 said:
I have heard anywhere from high 13's to mid 12's for the charger (non v-6) so i dont know what to think.

I would doubt mid 12's if it's still stock, high 12's low 13's would be believable though. My motorcycle is faster, it runs a 12.7 if that's any help.

Zyzyxxz

bah321 said:

is it the base model or the R/T or SRT8?

R/T has 368 hp with almost 400 ft/lb torque, not bad should be pretty fast.

SRT8 is 425/420 so it's a beast without mods. What do you drive?

Viperbah

Zyzyxxz said:
is it the base model or the R/T or SRT8?

R/T has 368 hp with almost 400 ft/lb torque, not bad should be pretty fast.

SRT8 is 425/420 so it's a beast without mods. What do you drive?

Damn i didnt know srt8s had that much...i think its a srt8 with exhaust ( just a cat-back)-so he is pretty much stock.

I have a 02 firebird with a cam, full exhaust, tune and gears. I posted it a while back.

Our whp should be more or less about the same, I think i got this one if i don't mess up.....those chargers are so intimidating! I will try and get a vid of it...ill post it later this weekend.

Zyzyxxz

bah321 said:
Damn i didnt know srt8s had that much...i think its a srt8 with exhaust ( just a cat-back)-so he is pretty much stock.

I have a 02 firebird with a cam, full exhaust, tune and gears. I posted it a while back.

Our whp should be more or less about the same, I think i got this one if i don't mess up.....those chargers are so intimidating! I will try and get a vid of it...ill post it later this weekend.

Assuming you guys are nearby in terms of power and weight, tires will make the difference.

Are yours wide and still have good tread? I don't know what tires a SRT8 comes with but they will probably be pretty decent to good.

TTG

bah321 said:

Rides on the same platform as the chrysler 300 SRT8, which I have driven on more than one occasion. Quick, but nothing out of this world. Somewhere just below a 330i and ahead of your econo 5 series(no 550 or M model).

It will see somewhere in low 5s for a 0-60 consistently.

EDIT: talking about the 6.1 liter V8. The lower engine choices are garbage.

TTG

Zyzyxxz said:
WTF @ BMW.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/20/bmw-says-no-to-new-z4-m/

No Z4 M but they still plan to make a X5 M and X6 M.

They continue to disappoint me as a company and enthusiasts.

No matter how hard they try they will not match the success of the Porsche Cayenne if that is their goal with the X5/6 M cars.

Too bad the current Z4 M was so badass.

The M versions of Z4s ALWAYS come at the end of the run and considering the new Z4 is just about to arrive, it will be a while. Their biturbo V6 is great, so it doesn't really need the M treatment. X5 and X6 M versions will be here soon at 550hp.

ahhh, I remember the good old days. When BMW didn't make 3 different SUVs(actually they made none) their cars weren't heavy and way overpriced. They also had some fun projects like the 8 series, the Z8 and they were making engines for Mclaren on the side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom