• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

Can I ask why it is ている though? My guess is that it is because they work there frequently. So while it could mean "they are working there (literally right now they are working)" it can also mean they are working there (frequently, everyday from 9-5)?

What would it mean if I used 働います instead of 働いている?

From what I understand ている describes a continuous state. So as they work as regulars and not one time jobs, ている must be used.

Question!

I collect Nanoblocks (basically really tiny Japanese LEGO blocks), and the instructions are often entirely in Japanese. Sometimes, though, they are translated (like in the picture below). I'm not concerned about the meaning of the statement below, but I AM wondering what the last symbol in this picture is. I can't seem to find it on my kana charts or in Kanji Recognizer on Android.

it's ri. you will find that some kana are connected in some fonts and in others they're not.
There's a particular evil version of so (そ) that it's like te (て) with horns. Took me ages to figure it out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It is り

Is that the katakana for RI?

From what I understand ている describes a continuous state. So as they work as regulars and not one time jobs, ている must be used.

it's ri. you will find that some kana are connected in some fonts and in others they're not.
There's a particular evil version of so (そ) that it's like te (て) with horns. Took me ages to figure it out.

And yes, it is. Wow, that's going to be frustrating, ha.

But thank you guys!

You understand not fully. It can be either continuous or progressive.

結婚している means you are married, not in the progress of getting married. Continuous state.

食べている means you are currently eating. Progressive state.

For some words it isn't immediately clear when it would be which.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ah thanks. I'm working at 101-102 level vocabulary so 仕事 was the closest I had to "working"

Can I ask why it is ている though? My guess is that it is because they work there frequently. So while it could mean "they are working there (literally right now they are working)" it can also mean they are working there (frequently, everyday from 9-5)?

What would it mean if I used 働います instead of 働いている?

Also why is there a の after たくさん? I swear I've seen it without the possessive particle before.

It would be 働きます(はたらきます) in that form, but it's not appropriate. That would make it sound more like something that will happen in the future but isn't going on right now.

Honestly, it would sound fine without の, too, but to me, it sounds much more appropriate to have it in this situation. I think it would be more grammatically correct to be there, but honestly I picked up most of my Japanese through just experience and never spent a lot of time studying specific grammatical structures. I really should do that someday to better be able to explain things.

Kansoku

You understand not fully. It can be either continuous or progressive.

結婚している means you are married, not in the progress of getting married. Continuous state.

食べている means you are currently eating. Progressive state.

For some words it isn't immediately clear when it would be which.

well, yes, but in that case in particular I'm pretty sure is continuous state

well, yes, but in that case in particular I'm pretty sure is continuous state

Ah. Can it be the progressive state then depending on context? Like if a friend called me at work and I used the 働いている version would it be taken to mean "I am working, right now."?

paolo11

Question who is studying Japanese online or by reading the book, how long did it take you to learn so much that you can read Japanese texts in Import Video games?

Hey guys, I need a little help.
I'm reading this article but this sentence seems so strange to me.
I get the gist of what is trying to be said, but the sentence seems to be missing
prepositions(?)

http://www.news24.jp/articles/2014/07/31/07256264.html#

This is the sentence:

去年、母親を病気で亡くし、その後、父親が再婚した高校1年の女子生徒。

The dad didn't marry the first year student, as the whole article is about the the murders that the first year student had committed.

GYODX

Hey guys, I need a little help.
I'm reading this article but this sentence seems so strange to me.
I get the gist of what is trying to be said, but the sentence seems to be missing
prepositions(?)

http://www.news24.jp/articles/2014/07/31/07256264.html#

This is the sentence:

去年、母親を病気で亡くし、その後、父親が再婚した高校1年の女子生徒。

The dad didn't marry the first year student, as the whole article is about the the murders that the first year student had committed.

The first year student's dad remarried after her mom died.

"The first year student, (whose) dad remarried after her mom died of illness last year"

One of the hardest parts of Japanese is getting used to the fact that the relationship between head nouns and sentence modifiers is not always as explicit as in English. One example that tripped me up the first time I saw it was 「私が英語を習った先生は、いま私が勤めている大学の卒業生です」.

The first year student's dad remarried after her mom died.

"The first year student, (whose) dad remarried after her mom died of illness last year"

One of the hardest parts of Japanese is getting used to the fact that the relationship between head nouns and sentence modifiers is not always as explicit as in English. One example that tripped me up the first time I saw it was 「私が英語を習った先生は、いま私が勤めている大学の卒業生です」.

Thanks! My friend actually broke it down for my earlier, it took me a good while to figure it out.

It seems news articles don't use です much, so that also threw me off a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! My friend actually broke it down for my earlier, it took me a good while to figure it out.

It seems news articles don't use です much, so that also threw me off a bit.

Yeah, you'll probably never see です or ます and such in written news articles outside of quotes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Huh there must be some interesting history behind that standard.

Yeah, there might be. The feeling I get is just that である style is used to give a more hard and factual impression, whereas です/ます is used to give a softer or casual impression.

Yeah, there might be. The feeling I get is just that である style is used to give a more hard and factual impression, whereas です/ます is used to give a softer or casual impression.

So is である used even for verbs? I thought ます was the most formal way to conjugate verbs without going into keigo.

Aizo

Banned
So is である used even for verbs? I thought ます was the most formal way to conjugate verbs without going into keigo.
Nah, the verbs stay in plain form in most articles/writing—outside of quotes, as was mentioned.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, sorry. である would be for nouns, but simply ending the sentence with a noun (called 体言止め たいげんどめ) like in bigmit3737's question is perfectly fine as well.

And like AlabastreAizo just said, verbs would end in their plain form, so stuff like する、行く、食べる、買う、etc.

GYODX

Also remember that newspapers want to be as brief and concise as possible, so they use a style of writing that does away with all the fluff.

Just kind of fooling around with Japanese here:

would あなたと一つになりたいんだ mean what it does in English (a not so subtle, but more PG/poetic way of saying you want to fuck)?

GYODX

Possibly in the right context. Reading some of the Google results I got from playing around with the 「(人)とひとつになりたい」construction, it looks like some people interpret it as a more poetic and long-term way of saying 「一緒にいたい」(I want to be with you), with the implication of a more serious relationship or marriage.

Take this post I found for example,

エッチがしたいだけの男性と、愛してるからこそエッチがしたい(一つになりたい)男性
との見分け方を教えてください。

Translates to: Please teach me how to tell apart the men who just want to have sex, and those who want to have sex because they love you (they want to become one with you).

Possibly in the right context. Reading some of the Google results I got from playing around with the 「(人)とひとつになりたい」construction, it looks like some people interpret it as a more poetic and long-term way of saying 「一緒にいたい」(I want to be with you), with the implication of a more serious relationship or marriage.

Take this post I found for example,

Translates to: Please teach me how to tell apart the men who just want to have sex, and those who want to have sex because they love you (they want to become one with you).

Thanks for the response. Seems interesting that it is interpreted in a more poetic way. A joining of one as souls I suppose rather than just bodies.

clem84

Gold Member
I have a question. I'm just a beginner here so the answer to this might come later as I'm learning more and more about the language.

Anyway, there are words in Japanese that are written using only one Kanji, but others use more then one and are called compound(?). So, if I'm reading a sentence in Japanese, how do I know if the Kanji I'm reading is meant to be read by itself, or if it's just part of a compound?

KtSlime

I have a question. I'm just a beginner here so the answer to this might come later as I'm learning more and more about the language.

Anyway, there are words in Japanese that are written using only one Kanji, but others use more then one and are called compound(?). So, if I'm reading a sentence in Japanese, how do I know if the Kanji I'm reading is meant to be read by itself, or if it's just part of a compound?

Yes there are.

There are individual kanji that are read with their kun (meaning) reading.
There are individual kanji that are read with their on (sound) reading.
There are words with okurigana (tail written using the hiragana syllabary) that are read with a kun reading.
There are words with okurigana that are read with an on reading.
There are jukugo (compound words) that both characters are read with on readings.
There are jukugo that both characters are read with kun readings.
And there are jukugo that have more than two characters that can have mixed readings.

Some words can be read multiple ways without any change in meaning, while other words can change meaning on how it is read.

Essentially you get the hang of it. Just like knowing the difference between read, read, wind, wind, or when listening weather, whether, etc.

Learn the word as a whole, not by its single kanji characters.

夜 = よる = yoru = night
昨夜 = さくや = saku-ya = last night
夜明け = よあけ = yo-a-ke = dawn

You'll come across a certain kanji character as you learn more vocab and each might have a different way of saying it. Eventually you'll learn the different possible ways a character can be read. From knowing those 3 words separately, I now know that 夜 can be read in 3 different ways depending if it's by itself or in a certain compound.

You won't know how to automatically read a kanji character if you just see it the first time due to knowing the multiple readings of a character. You'll learn through vocab.

clem84

Gold Member
Yes there are.

There are individual kanji that are read with their kun (meaning) reading.
There are individual kanji that are read with their on (sound) reading.
There are words with okurigana (tail written using the hiragana syllabary) that are read with a kun reading.
There are words with okurigana that are read with an on reading.
There are jukugo (compound words) that both characters are read with on readings.
There are jukugo that both characters are read with kun readings.
And there are jukugo that have more than two characters that can have mixed readings.

Some words can be read multiple ways without any change in meaning, while other words can change meaning on how it is read.

Essentially you get the hang of it. Just like knowing the difference between read, read, wind, wind, or when listening weather, whether, etc.

Learn the word as a whole, not by its single kanji characters.

夜 = よる = yoru = night
昨夜 = さくや = saku-ya = last night
夜明け = よあけ = yo-a-ke = dawn

You'll come across a certain kanji character as you learn more vocab and each might have a different way of saying it. Eventually you'll learn the different possible ways a character can be read. From knowing those 3 words separately, I now know that 夜 can be read in 3 different ways depending if it's by itself or in a certain compound.

You won't know how to automatically read a kanji character if you just see it the first time due to knowing the multiple readings of a character. You'll learn through vocab.
Thank you! It's a bit clearer. I'm going to choose to not worry about it if some things don't make perfect sense at first. I'll just keep on learning and eventually the pieces will all fit together I guess. :)

Quasar

Maybe someone can answer a query a friend had.

Ok, someone please help me out with this one. I've come across the use of the たち suffix in a way that I'm not sure what it means. It's been attached to someone's name, rather than to a pronoun. Now usually it's a pluralising suffix on a pronoun, but I'm not really sure what it means here. From context perhaps エリカたち means "The group that Erika is part of"? Anyone know more and wish to shed some light on this?

GYODX

I saw it used with an abstract noun in a song I was listening to recently.

千切った歳月たちを縫い合わせ帆を張れば

upandaway

I think I might finally have a clue on this thing that's been mystifying me for a while now, so if anyone can confirm/explain it I'll love you.

nNLQISr.png

戦った奴は口そろえて、「気づいたらすでに決められてた」 ゆーてるらしーわ。
魔球でも使とったん ちゃうかっちゅー 噂もあるくらいや。

Underlined part.
I had the chance to get this book (2 full pages for ちゃう, haha) and came to some sort of conclusion:

魔球でも使った じゃないかって 噂もあるくらい。

Right? Wrong?

This kansaiben stuff man I swear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might finally have a clue on this thing that's been mystifying me for a while now, so if anyone can confirm/explain it I'll love you.

Underlined part.
I had the chance to get this book (2 full pages for ちゃう, haha) and came to some sort of conclusion:

魔球でも使った じゃないかって 噂もあるくらい。

Right? Wrong?

This kansaiben stuff man I swear.

That's correct.

ちゃう is just a contraction of ちがう

So,

魔球でも使とったん ちゃうかっちゅー 噂もあるくらいや

in more standard Japanese would be:

魔球でも使ったていたのと違うかという噂もあるくらいだ

or to take it even further:

魔球でも使っていたのではないかという噂もあるくらいだ

upandaway

I knew about the ちゃう=ちがう but I didn't know what the っちゅー meant. Drove me crazy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I knew about the ちゃう=ちがう but I didn't know what the っちゅー meant. Drove me crazy.

Ah... yeah that stuff can be tricky. という becoming ていう or even っちゅー is not really kansaiben, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Where is it from then? It did show up in the book.

No idea of the origin, but it's pretty universally used all around Japan as far as I can tell.

Seems like a pretty similar contraction to stuff like いってしまう = いっちゃう

Jintor

Question: is there a general JapanGAF thread for those of us living out here right now? I have some questions about general living I'd like to throw out to any residents, having just moved here, but I'm not sure where to begin asking stuff.

KtSlime

How do I say "I'm sorry for your loss" in Japanese?

I believe it is something like 御愁傷様, but have never had to use it, so I'm not 100% sure.

Question: is there a general JapanGAF thread for those of us living out here right now? I have some questions about general living I'd like to throw out to any residents, having just moved here, but I'm not sure where to begin asking stuff.

I live in Tokyo, and I know many in this thread do too (or elsewhere in Japan), however there is not a specific thread for it. I've often thought there should be, but I don't have the time to maintain one myself. There is a general teaching in Asia thread, I'm sure if you ask there, or here you could get your answer.

Gacha-pin

How do I say "I'm sorry for your loss" in Japanese?

一般的なのは
「お悔やみ申し上げます(おくやみもうしあげます)。」
書き言葉でも話し言葉でも使えるよ。

Desmond

一般的なのは
「お悔やみ申し上げます(おくやみもうしあげます)。」
書き言葉でも話し言葉でも使えるよ。
ありがとー

upandaway

No idea of the origin, but it's pretty universally used all around Japan as far as I can tell.

Seems like a pretty similar contraction to stuff like いってしまう = いっちゃう

Yeah saw it just now again in an entirely normal dialect, point taken!

clem84

Gold Member
Do you guys know if there are any good English -> Japanese dictionaries? What I have in mind is something like a book where I could search alphabetically the English words, then the dictionary would give me the kana (pronunciation), then the Kanji(s). Does such a thing even exist? I looked on Amazon and there are a few of them but it's not exactly what I want, or the description doesn't really say what's in the book.

Also, any Android apps you guys could recommend? The kind that would give me the Kana and the Kanji? I've looked a little on the Galaxy apps store and the Play store but there's so much stuff it's hard to know what's good and what isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom