• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it really that bad of an idea to first learn romaji to learn some grammar and then jump into hiragana/katakana?

Eh, its not that bad an idea. You'll be off the romaji crutch soon either way, better to make sure you understand the grammar than have it in hiragana and not understand it.

As we're on the topic of denki jishou, I have an iOS app on the AppStore called Japanese Study Kit. It's got various bits and bobs for helping to study (jdict/kanji dict/tanaka campus/flash cards/web-browser etc).. Here are some redeem codes, if you guys fancy giving me some feedback and ideas for other widgets please do. It only went up a few weeks ago so it needs a lot of polish still, stuff like writing practice is still in development. I won't link directly.

LLYNENLRL9L3
K4HRY66M6KAK
FNFJPMXJRXKF
H96377K7RYWR
3YPLFH6LT7WT

I'd highly recommend getting an iTouch or an iPad if you are studying Japanese. I use Anki on the iPad far more than the Mac version, and reading Kanji on a retina display is awesome.

Grabbed this one, I can do weekly write ups on any bugs, pros and cons and sent it to you via email if you want.

RoyalFool

Banned
Grabbed this one, I can do weekly write ups on any bugs, pros and cons and sent it to you via email if you want.

Any bug requests are welcome, as are feature requests (no matter how insane they might be). 1.2 is currently with Apple for approval which adds and fixes various things you may spot in the current version. As I don't want to hog the thread, please feel free to PM with any bugs etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shit. I just realized that adding the Chinese - Traditional (handwriting) keyboard to your set of keyboards on the iPhone gives you an extremely well-made Kanji dictionary when paired with Google. Perfect for when you run into a Kanji you don't recognize.

Alucrid

Banned

Don't really want to make a thread for this, but here's some practice for ya'll. I got these with some headphones I ordered, can anyone tell me what they are? I'm guessing the small packet is tea, no idea what the other things are.

louis89

That just so happens to be my favourite brand of tea. I don't know what it is about Japanese tea, I couldn't really say it tastes good, but for some reason I just like drinking it and buy it every day. I only drink the chilled, plastic bottle version though.

scottnak

Don't really want to make a thread for this, but here's some practice for ya'll. I got these with some headphones I ordered, can anyone tell me what they are? I'm guessing the small packet is tea, no idea what the other things are.

As for the flavors:
Corn Potage - Tonkatsu Sauce - Salted Beef tongue i guess? (The actual thing tastes better than it sounds!)

Mmmm~

Alucrid

Banned

Sweet, thanks. I'ma try them now.

As for the flavors:
Corn Potage - Tonkatsu Sauce - Salted Beef tongue i guess? (The actual thing tastes better than it sounds!)

Mmmm~

Damn, can't say I've ever had beef tongue so it'll be interesting to see what it tastes like.

BuRT!

I've been trying to search on Youtube for videos that show the difference between pronouncing 'E' and 'EI' but can't find any. Does anyone know where I can get a good explanation?

I've been trying to search on Youtube for videos that show the difference between pronouncing 'E' and 'EI' but can't find any. Does anyone know where I can get a good explanation?

Well, something with "e" would be a more short, abrupt sound. Say kennel, and then take away the "knnel". That's the sound. "ei" is more like this sound but obviously not long and silly as in that video :p Its really just saying "e" and "i" together, fast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, something with "e" would be a more short, abrupt sound. Say kennel, and then take away the "knnel". That's the sound. "ei" is more like this sound but obviously not long and silly as in that video :p Its really just saying "e" and "i" together, fast.

"ei" is like "yay!" without the first "y".

Are there regional differences in the pronunciation of "yay"?

Desmond

For my (Irish Education System here) Japanese exam I have to describe 1 of 4 pictures for 2-3 mins. Culture information is mainly what they want. Very basic stuff, I mean basic, like はらじゅくには やすくて かわいい おみせが おおいんだよ. I have some info, but would like some more. I'd rather speak for 5 than 1 minute.

These are the 4 pictures.

japanesephoto1.jpg

japanesephoto2.jpg

japanesephoto3.jpg

japanesephoto4.jpg

can anyone help me out? Anyone good phrases, websites I should know of.

Gacha-pin

お花見 (Ohanami) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanami
From March to April, Japanese get drunk all day under cherry blossoms.

放課後の掃除 (Houkago No Souji)
Generally, students clean their class room after school.

竹下通り (Takeshita doori) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harajuku

???
A gaijin san female gives some speech in a Japanese style room...I have no idea about this one. You don't wear shoes in a room in Japan...maybe.

I have two questions

1. What do you call 震度 in English?

2. What do you call 絵文字/顔文字 stuff in English like the below?
:)  :(  >:|  orz  でつ  ( ´3`)  (´・ω・`)  (`・ω・´)
And also, what does <3 mean, kiss?

alekth

I have two questions

1. What do you call &#38663;&#24230; in English?

2. What do you call &#32117;&#25991;&#23383;/&#38996;&#25991;&#23383; stuff in English like the below?
:)&#12288;&#12288;:(&#12288;&#12288;>:|&#12288;&#12288;orz&#12288;&#12288;&#12391;&#12388;&#12288;&#12288;( ´3`)&#12288;&#12288;(´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)&#12288;&#12288;(`&#12539;&#969;&#12539;´)
And also, what does <3 mean, kiss?

1. I suppose it would be something like earthquake magnitude or intensity.

2. Emotes, emoticons, smileys
<3 is a heart (flipped on its side)

Gacha-pin

&#12362;&#12361;&#12289;&#26412;&#24403;&#12384;&#12290;&#12495;&#12540;&#12488;&#12395;&#35211;&#12360;&#12427;&#12290;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;<3

RoyalFool

Banned
Ohh, I know where that third photo is - if they had taken it back a bit they would have got the brilliant 'NO SMORKING' sign in shot.

Oh yeah, 95/100 on the oral midterm.

EDIT- I got a game request on FB for something Japanese, but I can't figure out what it means.

The name is spelled in katakana and reads: ma i ka re n ta -

What is this?

EDIT 2- Nvm. That ta is really a da. Now it makes sense.

Sup guys.

Lately I've been trying my hardest to focus on speaking Japanese as close to native pronunciation as possible. So, lately in my spare time I've been repeating sentences using Anki's Core 6000 (Which I imagine is shamelessly stolen from smart.fm/iknow). The problem is the sentences are spoken too slowly and a bit overly pronounced. If you remember, smart.fm in it's free days had natural sounding fast-as-hell Japanese sentences. That content is gone. Do you guys know of anything I could use to practice native-speaker pronunciation through repetition?

I'm looking for a very specific thing, really. You basically read a sentence, and you hear a native speaker speaking it. The more complicated/useful the sentences, the better.

midonnay

NHK has video news with transcripts on their website.

also if you can find the Kanji Odyssey anki deck with audio....its more natural sounding than Core

Obviously the sentence structures are more proper than spoken japanese.

NHK has video news with transcripts on their website.

also if you can find the Kanji Odyssey anki deck with audio....its more natural sounding than Core

Obviously the sentence structures are more proper than spoken japanese.

That's a start.

News is sorta what I'm trying to avoid. I no longer live in Japan, so I don't hear the language often. I'm trying to recapture that East-Tokyo sound, you know? In other words, I want the speaker to sound almost like they resent having to record their voice. Bored out of their mind.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sup guys.

Lately I've been trying my hardest to focus on speaking Japanese as close to native pronunciation as possible. So, lately in my spare time I've been repeating sentences using Anki's Core 6000 (Which I imagine is shamelessly stolen from smart.fm/iknow). The problem is the sentences are spoken too slowly and a bit overly pronounced. If you remember, smart.fm in it's free days had natural sounding fast-as-hell Japanese sentences. That content is gone. Do you guys know of anything I could use to practice native-speaker pronunciation through repetition?

I'm looking for a very specific thing, really. You basically read a sentence, and you hear a native speaker speaking it. The more complicated/useful the sentences, the better.

It would probably be a good idea to how to slowly and carefully pronounce words like a native first. You can always speed up your speech later. Getting the basics right is important, in my opinion.

It would probably be a good idea to how to slowly and carefully pronounce words like a native first. You can always speed up your speech later. Getting the basics right is important, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to learn the correct pronunciation of Japanese as much as I am trying to do all I can to eliminate my foreign accent as much as possible. Like a British actor trying to sound American, you know? It's a very subtle thing. Do you understand what I mean?

I have a question about keigo. I'm trying to write a speech and I want to say something like "we appreciate/thank you for your understanding". Anyone clued in about this kind of stuff?

EDIT: So I found this great video entitled "shit Japanese students say". Anyone with experience in a Japanese school (or not :p) should get a laugh out of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7RmPCP7OI

Gacha-pin

&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;&#12372;&#12374;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377; or &#24863;&#35613;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;

&#12372;&#29702;&#35299;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12365;&#12289;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;&#12372;&#12374;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
&#12372;&#21332;&#21147;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12365;&#12289;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;&#12372;&#12374;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
&#12372;&#29702;&#35299;&#12395;&#24863;&#35613;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
&#12372;&#21332;&#21147;&#12395;&#24863;&#35613;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
&#12372;&#29702;&#35299;&#12395;&#24863;&#35613;&#12375;&#12390;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;:p

&#12300;&#12370;&#12435;&#12365;&#12301;&#12392;&#12356;&#12358;&#25945;&#31185;&#26360;&#12434;&#35501;&#12435;&#12391;&#12375;&#12414;&#12387;&#12383;&#12426;&#12289;&#27425;&#12399;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#25945;&#31185;&#26360;&#12434;&#20351;&#12358;&#12398;&#12364;&#12356;&#12356;&#12391;&#12377;&#12363;&#12290;
&#65288;&#19979;&#25163;&#12394;&#25991;&#27861;&#12434;&#20351;&#12387;&#12390;&#12377;&#12415;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12391;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;&#30496;&#12356;&#12375;&#12290;&#65289;

I have one quarter left with my Genki 2 textbook. Since that seems to be the last book in the Genki series, what would people recommend that I would continue with after that? Are there any books that are similar?

cousins

Starting a japanese course this summer, two actually, at five weeks each. I'm not stoked on the time frames, but it's fairly intensive (5 days a week at 4 hours a day), so here's hoping. I'm also going onto my second semester of Spanish. The two shouldn't interfere with each other should they? I didn't figure there would be enough overlap for me to get confused.

Going back to Japanese, I want to get a head-start, but I'm worried about creating fossilized mistakes (my mom's an english teacher, which isn't the same I know, but she's taught ESL students and she says this is perhaps one of the biggest problems they face), seeing as I won't be with a sensei. Is there anything safe for me to start with? Or should I just wait it out?

Ezalc

So I'm trying to learn Japanese alone until I can find and sign up for a class. I'm trying to learn hiragana and katakana first which is going well, I'm only still on hiragana but if I see say a screenshot of some game I can recognize a few of the characters which feels really good. I saw an app on the iOS appstore called human Japanese, anybody know if it's any good? Anyways, one thing I noticed while just looking at some Japanese writing (yes more screenshots IIRC) is that there doesn't seem to be any spaces between the words? How do you know when one word ends and the next one begins? Is this common?

Zoe

Yes, that's common. You really need to know the kanji to tell the words apart.

I don't advocate learning on your own if you plan to take a proper class, but if you really do want to start now, I would recommend shonen/shoujo manga that has furigana. Games are pretty difficult.

Ezalc

Yes, that's common. You really need to know the kanji to tell the words apart.

I don't advocate learning on your own if you plan to take a proper class, but if you really do want to start now, I would recommend shonen/shoujo manga that has furigana. Games are pretty difficult.

Well I just want to learn the alphabets so I can get a headstart. I thought Hiragana was more commonly used along with Kanji?

Zoe

Well I just want to learn the alphabets so I can get a headstart. I thought Hiragana was more commonly used along with Kanji?

Kanji >>>>>>>>>>>> hiragana >>>>> katakana

I actually learned to read from Sailor Moon and Jpop lyrics on music shows.

Ezalc

Damn it Kanji. Wait where does Furigana fit into that?

EDIT: I just realized that Furigana isn't really an alphabet but it's like a thing to help pronounce other characters. Jesus I'm confused right now.

Zoe

Damn it Kanji. Wait where does Furigana fit into that?

Furigana goes above the kanji to tell you how to read it. You gotta be careful though cause it can be used stylistically and may not say the true reading of the kanji.

It's used less as the target age group goes up.

You can learn Japanese by yourself. Just use the grammar guide on this site.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

Whenever there is new vocab, there will be new kanji. Write the character down/stroke order in a notebook. Write the english meanings. Then write common words associated with that kanji (the vocab introduced should be good).

So essentially if they introduced the word &#26085;&#65288;&#12395;&#12385;), write down in your kanji notebook:

&#26085;&#12288;(Then do stroke order steps)

1.day
2. Sun
3. Japan
4. Counter for days

Common words:
&#12395;&#12411;&#12435;-&#26085;&#26412;
&#12395;&#12385;-&#26085;

That's usually what I do for new kanji. I don't bother listing the readings. I learn kanji through vocab and learn the readings through vocab. This helps me keep track of what kanji I learn, and some vocab associated with each kanji.

Ezalc

Stroke order is another question I have, does it actually matter? I mean if the end result of the character is the same, does the order in which you write it out really have an effect? I thought it was just a matter of a person's way of writing, for example I had a teacher who would write a 3 from bottom to top instead of top to bottom as it's usually done.

Zoe

Yes, it matters. It may not be evident in typed text, but the flow and hooks in written text make the stroke order obvious.

Also, kanji becomes easier to write after your first 100 or so. You'll start to recognize certain characters and you won't even need to write out the whole stroke order (in kanji notebook that I talked about). It will just be automatic.

You might want to look in to learning Kanji with the Heisig method. Some people like it and some people don't, but it can be very useful for those who do.

The book is called "Remembering the Kanji" and you can download a sample for free which includes the first couple of chapters or so with an explanation on how it works.

It takes a long time to work through it all, but it's worth it if it's a method that works for you. And now would be the best time to start it.

Zoe

You might want to look in to learning Kanji with the Heisig method. Some people like it and some people don't, but it can be very useful for those who do.

The book is called "Remembering the Kanji" and you can download a sample for free which includes the first couple of chapters or so with an explanation on how it works.

It takes a long time to work through it all, but it's worth it if it's a method that works for you. And now would be the best time to start it.

Heisig method really isn't compatible with taking a formal course though.

Jake.

kanji really seems to be the make or break point for learning japanese i've found (my experience and others). i attempted to learn japanese twice (once at night school when i was about 18, once in first year university at 23 - failed the second semester). you just have to be super disciplined and WANT to do it, and that's where people like me just either burn out and/or give up. i think in my case it was both, in addition to just being overwhelmed with so much (in my class we were learning about 25 kanji a week, + vocab/everything else + all my other non-jp subjects inc my major). eventually i just lost interest in learning it, but i still remember some (realistically i can read about 80, write less than 15 haha).

ironically, i'm planning to go to japan again for trip #3 at the end of this year so maybe i'll give it another go when i'm 30 or something (25 now)...

If written Japanese doesn't work for you, and you find that you are speaking it more than reading it, you could always just learn conversational Japanese - and skip the writing. If it allows you to learn the language, why not?

I have a real love-hate relationship with kanji. I find writing and practicing it to be incredibly relaxing, just doing the strokes over and over etc. When I can understand, its very empowering. When I can't understand, I get so frustrated and feel like an idiot.

Deeku

Yeah, Japanese in university is no joke. I got a bit overwhelmed with the pace at times because my other more important units kinda took over. Also got a little discouraged since everyone else in the japanese class was on top of everything since japanese was their major. But, I got through it with the help of the overly nice japanese teachers at uni:D

Question: anyone familiar with any intensive Japanese courses in Japan? I thinking like something similar to that intensive chinese program at Pecking University type thing.

ittoryu

Question for Tokyo/Japan GAF (I know it might not be the best thread to ask about, sorry): I *might* be having an interview next week for a possible job in Tokyo, so I would need any tips/advice on how to behave, what to do and especially what I *shouldn't* do.

The interview shouldn't be in Japanese (I've been pretty clear with them saying that I'm far from being fluent in spoken Japanese) and *could* potentially be awesome (or horrible).

Thanks for the help!

Jintor

If I weren't planning to do JET after Uni I would seriously consider just burning a few more years to do a Japanese major to learn the gorramn language...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom