• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osaka is nice but Tokyo is better IMO. I've lived in both. You do have to be careful about getting stuck in an "English bubble" but if you put in some effort it's not hard to find friends that only speak Japanese.

Nephix

Conversely, after about a month of living in Tokyo I got kinda fed up with everything being in English. A lot of people respond in English even when you speak Japanese, and I felt like it was hindering my immersion. But, its always a cool place to live. So much to do. A year there and then maybe somewhere smaller might be nice.

Osaka is nice but Tokyo is better IMO. I've lived in both. You do have to be careful about getting stuck in an "English bubble" but if you put in some effort it's not hard to find friends that only speak Japanese.

Being forced to use english is something I've thought a lot about and thus actively trying to avoid schools whose students are mostly made up of westerners.
All I can do other than that, is to avoid using english as best I can in any given situation; which probably won't be too difficult, seeing as english isn't my main language.

Being forced to use english is something I've thought a lot about and thus actively trying to avoid schools whose students are mostly made up of westerners.
All I can do other than that, is to avoid using english as best I can in any given situation; which probably won't be too difficult, seeing as english isn't my main language.

Oh really? I think the experience varies depending on where you're from. As someone who is blonde I kind of stick out as an English speaker :p

Nephix

Oh really? I think the experience varies depending on where you're from. As someone who is blonde I kind of stick out as an English speaker :p

Yeah, I won't stick out in that regard, but then there's the issue of being built like a tank and being seen as a giant. ;P

Jintor

Any recommendations on podcasts for either just listening in the background or actively learning? Bear in mind it needs to have a working RSS feed so I can point my phone podcast catcher at it.

midonnay

a good one for beginners is actually aimed at Japanese people learning english.

the premise is they hear an english riddle describing a word and they try to work out what the word is.

This way you're not totally thrown in the deep end and have a general idea of what they're talking about.

http://www.tbsradio.jp/eiken/index.xml

look for "聞き耳リスニングクイズ"

eg:

http://www.tbsradio.jp/eiken/2012/03/2012319-1.html

http://podcast.tbsradio.jp/eiken/files/listening20120319.mp3

Just say in Japanese that you're Finnish or Norwegian and it should be enough, I always said "sorry I'm italian I don't speak english" and that was usually enough.

Suairyu

Banned
So AJATT recommends putting the story for each kanji on the front of the card, yet the OP and other places just place the keyword there. Is there any particular problem with having the story as an immediate prompt? The shared RTK deck in Anki has a hyperlink to the story on koohii, which would be fine if the story page didn't also display the kanji itself, defeating the purpose of the prompt.

Nephix

So AJATT recommends putting the story for each kanji on the front of the card, yet the OP and other places just place the keyword there. Is there any particular problem with having the story as an immediate prompt? The shared RTK deck in Anki has a hyperlink to the story on koohii, which would be fine if the story page didn't also display the kanji itself, defeating the purpose of the prompt.

Well the way RTK works is that you remember the story when you see the keyword and not the other way around. If you rely on the story too much, it'll hinder your progress, I think, since the final goal is to just remember the Kanji and stroke order instantly, without the need to go back and remember the actual story.

Suairyu

Banned
Well the way RTK works is that you remember the story when you see the keyword and not the other way around. If you rely on the story too much, it'll hinder your progress, I think, since the final goal is to just remember the Kanji and stroke order instantly, without the need to go back and remember the actual story.
Hm. Is there anyway to set up an in-between card in Anki? Like, you see the keyword. Click once to get the story, click twice to get the kanji?

Or should I just stick the story on the back of the flashcard - if I can't remember the story, I've failed outright?

edit: to answer my own question, yes, I can do that. If anyone is curious, I use this as the front of my card template:
Code:
{{Front}}
<span style="color: #FFFFFF;" onmousedown="this.style.color='black'"
 onmouseout="this.style.color='white'"> {{{Story}}} </span>

So the story remains hidden, unless I click (or on my phone, tap) the story field.

Fantastic.

Just say in Japanese that you're Finnish or Norwegian and it should be enough, I always said "sorry I'm italian I don't speak english" and that was usually enough.

I was always worried they'd speak whatever language I pretended to speak though :p Guess i'll pick something obscure like Ukrainian. haha.

Hey guys, I found a couple of sites with tons of subs (Japanese subs) for Japanese Dramas and Japanese Anime.

I find it very useful for my studies, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Here is the one with tons of Japanese subs (just scroll down past the English subs):

http://fc7c0ed1.zxxo.net/

And here is one with Anime subs:

http://kitsunekko.net/subtitles/japanese/

I hope it helps you guys. I wanted to give back to the community for helping me out. =)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So are the things in the OP from 4 years ago still a good way to go by? I've always wanted to learn Japanese just so I could play import games that never come here without needing a guide.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Hey guys, I found a couple of sites with tons of subs (Japanese subs) for Japanese Dramas and Japanese Anime.

I find it very useful for my studies, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Here is the one with tons of Japanese subs (just scroll down past the English subs):

http://fc7c0ed1.zxxo.net/

And here is one with Anime subs:

http://kitsunekko.net/subtitles/japanese/

I hope it helps you guys. I wanted to give back to the community for helping me out. =)

What's up with that first link? It's just the d-addicts subtitles forum. Linkbucks?

Gaspode_T

Just know that it can take up to six years of intensive studying to be able to play games and actually understand what is going on without constantly looking up words, so pretty big commitment of your time if that is the only reason you want to learn it. I think apps etc have gotten better but there is no silver bullet when it comes to learning language, you have to factor in time

Just know that it can take up to six years of intensive studying to be able to play games and actually understand what is going on without constantly looking up words, so pretty big commitment of your time if that is the only reason you want to learn it. I think apps etc have gotten better but there is no silver bullet when it comes to learning language, you have to factor in time

You should be able to play almost anything with no serious hindrance if you've passed N1. And that definitely takes much less than 6 years if you're studying intensively.

What's up with that first link? It's just the d-addicts subtitles forum. Linkbucks?

Not sure what's up with the first link, but I was given the link the way I posted it, and it was bookmarked that way in my bookmark manager.
I don't really understand it either, but it's legit as I have used the link many times.

Wondering if JPGaf can help me with this sentence.

&#20474;&#12399;&#20474;&#12384;&#12289;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#26178;&#12391;&#12418;&#12394;&#12290;&#12290;&#12290;

I've come up with "I'm me, but any/what time". And I don't know where to go from there. I mean the second part doesn't make any sense to me so I must be doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

&#20474;&#12399;&#20474;&#12384;&#12289;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#26178;&#12391;&#12418;&#12394;&#12290;&#12290;&#12290;

I've come up with "I'm me, but any/what time". And I don't know where to go from there. I mean the second part doesn't make any sense to me so I must be doing something wrong.

&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#26178;&#12391;&#12418; is pretty much "whenever".

So...

"I'm me, whenever."

Or,

"I'm always myself, no matter what."

I want to watch anime/drama with Japanese language and JAPANESE subs. LOL, if I can read what they're saying then it's not too hard to understand. All foreign movies have Japanese subs but the way they translate in the subs is different than how they would translate if it was a dub. So annoying.

Some context would be useful in that sentence. You got the translation right. "I am me. Any time (or "no matter when/what")" But other than that you need a little more context to help with the meaning.

Zoe

"I'm me, in whatever situation"

It's &#26178;&#12391; &#12418;, not &#26178; &#12391;&#12418;.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Thanks for the replies, I think your translations sound a lot better, as in "no matter what/any time". Makes a lot more sense that way.

To elaborate on that, &#12300;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#12539;&#12539;&#12539;&#12391;&#12418;&#12301; (where &#12300;&#12391;&#12418;&#12301;is actually the -&#12390; form of the verb -- &#12384;/&#12391;&#12354;&#12427; in this case -- + the &#12418; particle) always means "whatever... may <verb>". Pretty much everytime you see &#12300;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#12301; in a sentence that's not a question, you can be sure to find &#12300;&#12391;&#12418;&#12301; or -&#12390; form + &#12418; at the end of the clause.

More generally speaking, Japanese has a way of dealing with the potential issues that arise from having a sentence structure where the verb (arguably the most important part of a sentence) is always at the end: many common expressions are broken down into two parts, one of which is at the beginning of a sentence. That way, when you read words like &#12300;&#12393;&#12435;&#12394;&#12301;, you sorta know what kind of statement to expect.

AngryMoth

Would you guys recommend taking the low level JLPT exams? I'm studying half for personal enjoyment and half because it will hopefully be useful at landing a job in the gaming industry at some point in the future. I'm considering taking the N5 exam in July, as it would be a good goal to strive for and would give me a bit of extra motivation, but the £75 fee is somewhat off-putting, especially seen as I will hopefully take the higher levels eventually which would actually be worth putting on a cv. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would you guys recommend taking the low level JLPT exams? I'm studying half for personal enjoyment and half because it will hopefully be useful at landing a job in the gaming industry at some point in the future. I'm considering taking the N5 exam in July, as it would be a good goal to strive for and would give me a bit of extra motivation, but the £75 fee is somewhat off-putting, especially seen as I will hopefully take the higher levels eventually which would actually be worth putting on a cv. Thoughts?

Unless you can't find motivation any other way, I really don't see the point of taking anything lower than N2. By all means buy the study materials and practice for the test, but I don't see the point in throwing money away to get such a low level certification. It won't have any practical use.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Unless you can't find motivation any other way, I really don't see the point of taking anything lower than N2. By all means buy the study materials and practice for the test, but I don't see the point in throwing money away to get such a low level certification. It won't have any practical use.

N3 is okay I suppose (the new level, between the former 3kyuu and 2kyuu), if only to get an idea of the whole thing. It won't have any practical use, but it's the only level besides N2 and N1 where there's a hint of difficulty.

But I agree with you: N5 and even N4 are useless. N3 is the starting point.

I just passed N3 last year, but I'm not sure if I can pass N2 this year (though I would love to). Is the jump pretty high?

Are there any good methods for working on accent or getting pitch shifts just right?

Listening and speaking practise. Spending time in country is good for that, but if not you can download programs to listen to (even in the background). Something like keyholeTV is useful. If you listen to it enough you begin to pick up nuances about good places to pause, and the general flow of the language. Repeating back sentences you hear can help too, then you can compare the difference in accent and hopefully make yours the same.

Angrymoth said:

It'll be good in that, yes its something you can put on a cv, it will give you more confidence and you'll get to understand the layout of the exams (so you know what to expect from the higher levels). It might be worth waiting till the December round and trying for N4 though, depending on how well you think you'd go. Try taking the practise exams on the official website, or working through a workbook. Since they are based on past tests, getting those correct might give you the confidence you need without spending a lot of money.

genjiZERO

Listening and speaking practise. Spending time in country is good for that, but if not you can download programs to listen to (even in the background). Something like keyholeTV is useful. If you listen to it enough you begin to pick up nuances about good places to pause, and the general flow of the language. Repeating back sentences you hear can help too, then you can compare the difference in accent and hopefully make yours the same.

Thanks. Looking at waveforms of native speakers in Rosetta Stone you can see pretty dramatic pitch shifts within words. While I have the pronunciation sensitivity up all the way, and always get the words right, I still can't get my voice to make those same changes. Will keep working on it though. Cheers

Grakl

Going to Tokyo over the summer. Already been learning Japanese for a couple years, but now I'm gonna ramp it up a bit for the next few months. Can't wait!

genjiZERO

So looks like I might have some job opportunities in Japan in the next few months.

What's the best/quickest/most efficient way to become fluent/literate? Should I focus on speaking before reading, or at the same time? Are there any "mindless" ways of doing it.

I've been doing Rosetta Stone for the last week. I have all three language packs. Are there things better out there? How many hours a day should I use it? I can generally blow through them, and always get over 90%. Should I slow down, and make sure I can say/read/understand everything, or should I go for speed and repetition?

Immersion wise, what are some good methods? TV (recommendations on good shows?), podcasts that focus on lessons or speaking slowly? Gimme your thoughts. Level-wise, I've never formally studied the language, but I've got pronunciation down fine, and I know a couple hundred words. I also took two years of Mandarin in college. I know Mandarin uses simplified characters, but a lot of them are still the same so I've got a basic understanding of how it works. So while I don't really know the language I'm pretty familiar with it.

Thanks for the help

So looks like I might have some job opportunities in Japan in the next few months.

What's the best/quickest/most efficient way to become fluent/literate? Should I focus on speaking before reading, or at the same time? Are there any "mindless" ways of doing it.

I've been doing Rosetta Stone for the last week. I have all three language packs. Are there things better out there? How many hours a day should I use it? I can generally blow through them, and always get over 90%. Should I slow down, and make sure I can say/read/understand everything, or should I go for speed and repetition?

Immersion wise, what are some good methods? TV (recommendations on good shows?), podcasts that focus on lessons or speaking slowly? Gimme your thoughts. Level-wise, I've never formally studied the language, but I've got pronunciation down fine, and I know a couple hundred words. I also took two years of Mandarin in college. I know Mandarin uses simplified characters, but a lot of them are still the same so I've got a basic understanding of how it works. So while I don't really know the language I'm pretty familiar with it.

Thanks for the help

Tae Kim's Grammar guide.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

Quick question ....I have to write a speech about someone close to me for class. I am writing about a lady friend "Anna". I am having a fear of sounding redundant in my presentation by saying &#12450;&#12531;&#12490;&#12373;&#12435;&#12399; as the subject over and over again. Obviously throughout the speech I can omit the subject when contextually appropriate. But I wonder how else I can refer to her that would be acceptable....? maybe. &#31169;&#12398;&#21451;&#36948;&#12399;.....or what about &#24444;&#22899;&#12399;.... thoughts please.

....For a bit more context Anna is a friend from back home who is younger than I am. We are not dating but are very close. I included this as i figured it may help shape the language I use to refer to her.

Quick question ....I have to write a speech about someone close to me for class. I am writing about a lady friend "Anna". I am having a fear of sounding redundant in my presentation by saying &#12450;&#12531;&#12490;&#12373;&#12435;&#12399; as the subject over and over again. Obviously throughout the speech I can omit the subject when contextually appropriate. But I wonder how else I can refer to her that would be acceptable....? maybe. &#31169;&#12398;&#21451;&#36948;&#12399;.....or what about &#24444;&#22899;&#12399;.... thoughts please.

....For a bit more context Anna is a friend from back home who is younger than I am. We are not dating but are very close. I included this as i figured it may help shape the language I use to refer to her.

I'd say &#24444;&#22899; or something like &#12371;&#12385;&#12425;would be your best bet. Or just avoid referring to her as much as you can after you've introduced her, when its clear you're speaking about her.

So, I´m learning japanese since 1 month ago, and I need to practice my hiragana.

Does anyone know a page or something to read with only basic hiragana??

Thanks in advance!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Like shanshan, I would suggest you just refrain from using a &#12399;-subject as much as possible. The basic rule of Japanese is that, as long as you're still talking about the same person, you shouldn't have to spell out the subject every time. Think of the &#12399;-subject as the theme or topic of the (group of) sentence(s), i.e. what it's generally about.

I wouldn't even suggest you switch things up by using &#31169;&#12398;&#21451;&#36948;&#12399; or &#24444;&#22899;&#12399;. I mean, you can use them, but only when you went from talking about someone else to talking about her again. Don't use them so you can keep having actual subjects in your sentences, because unlike English or German where they're needed, they're not in Japanese. They're not natural. This isn't just about oral language being more to the point. It applies to written language as well.

In many instances the &#12399;-subject in Japanese is actually closer to the English phrase "As for <insert whatever/whoever>" than to, say, a pronoun like "I" or "she" or even a person's name. When you're using a &#12399;-subject, you're telling the audience "okay, get this, now I'm talking about this, not about that anymore". That's why the Japanese don't use them all the time. You wouldn't need to say "As for me" all the time in English, would you? Only for specific situations, right? Well, that's -- more or less -- how the Japanese reason with &#12399;-subjects.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
@kilrogg. thank you so much for the detailed write up. I had huge apprehension about over-omiting the subject but you have calmed my fears. Thanks again

You're welcome. Obviously you don't want to omit the subject all the time either, no need to go to the extreme :p. But yeah, if there's one thing you shouldn't worry about, it's the subject: just use it when establishing who you're talking about (you, Anna, someone else...) and when you actually change the subject. But, say, if you're writing a sentence with &#12450;&#12531;&#12490;&#12399; and Anna still is the subject in the next sentence, don't write &#12450;&#12531;&#12490;&#12399; a second time, or &#24444;&#22899;&#12399; or whatever. Just omit it altogether, like "well, of course I'm still talking about her, isn't that obvious?"

If you want further reading on the subject, I suggest you read Making Sense of Japanese by Jay Rubin. Short, easy-to-read cheap book. Basically, the Japanese subject is a "zero pronoun": it actually is in the sentence; you just don't express it.

Kilrogg, I've read through this thread and noticed you're very well-versed in the language. Did you have a formal education, or did you teach yourself in other ways? How did you improve your kanji repertoire?

Also, does anyone have any sites in Japanese you would recommend to a basic-intermediate speaker/reader? I want to immerse myself more, since I'll be having a summer break from my class.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kilrogg, I've read through this thread and noticed you're very well-versed in the language. Did you have a formal education, or did you teach yourself in other ways? How did you improve your kanji repertoire?

Also, does anyone have any sites in Japanese you would recommend to a basic-intermediate speaker/reader? I want to immerse myself more, since I'll be having a summer break from my class.

Thanks for the compliment. I've had formal education for 3 years and a half now (including a year in Japan) and actually started learning the language at a slow pace (an hour-and-a-half-per-week course) 11 years ago. Considering how long I've been studying it I actually find my level to be very lacking. What you're noticing reading my replies is that I know finer points of grammar for instance, but that's mostly because 1) some of my grammar classes were very in-depth, and 2) I just like languages and grammar and stuff. That kind of knowledge, while interesting and useful in some ways, doesn't necessarily translate to a good practical level of proficiency. I fumble a lot when talking in Japanese, and I often struggle to use words I've learned in an active fashion. I'm sure many people here actually speak much better than I do because they've been in Japan for a while or haven't been focusing much of their energy on theoretical like I did. I mean, I can't even follow a drama or a movie really well without subtitles! Most recently I've noticed my writing ability for kanji has taken a dramatic hit (because I just don't write them any more). Fortunately, it seems that once you've reached a certain level you barely forget how to read them.

Speaking of kanji and since you asked, the Japanese department of my university has kanji requirements for all undergraduate students. They give new kanji handouts every semester, and it basically goes like this: 400 kanji the first year, 600 the second, and around 800 or 1000 the last year I think. We're supposed to learn them and the kanji compounds for some classes, and what can I say: I was just very motivated :p. As for how I studied them, I use a piece of software called Anki/I], which I'm sure you've seen recommended here by me among others. I've stopped using it since I got my bachelor's degree, and that's why my level sucks now. It's a very demanding program at first, but very rewarding. I remember acing every kanji class back then. Good times :p. I would enter all the kanji and kanji compounds found in the handouts and review them pretty much every day.

I don't have any specific recommendations for what you ask, but if you're interested in gaining an understanding of several Japanese concepts (such as all that stuff about the Japanese subject I talked about earlier), you should read Making Sense of Japanese by Jay Rubin. The ideal time to read it is when you have a modicum of knowledge of the language (which seems to be your case) but can't seem to grasp some of the concepts you're handling nonetheless. Also, it's the only grammar book that I know of that's actually fun to read. Imagine that: fun and grammar.

Akira

Recently I learned the Mandarin word for cute which is ke ai (pronounced kuh-ai) and I thought it was remarkably similar to the Japanese kawaii and even the Korean gi-yeo-weo. Anyone know if these are something like false cognates or if they originate from the same Chinese character?

Edit: Heh, just Googled for the answer myself and this thread (and my post) was already on the first page. Google's fast!

And I found an answer here:

David Eddyshaw said:
Japanese &#21487;&#24859;&#12356;&#12288;(kawaii) originated as young-person slang for &#21487;&#24859;&#12425;&#12375;&#12356;&#12288;"kawairashii".

The first bit is the Sino-Japanese equivalent of the Mandarin ke'ai, so they are "cognate" in the rather peculiar way that Sino-Japanese is related to Chinese.

Cool bit of information!

otmane

Could someone recommend the best apps to learn japanese on the iPad.
I already have some basics (hiragana, katakana, some vocabulary...) and I want to further develop it.

AngryMoth

Could someone recommend the best apps to learn japanese on the iPad.
I already have some basics (hiragana, katakana, some vocabulary...) and I want to further develop it.
I've tried quite a lot, and the 2 I'd recommend are 'Midori' and 'Japanese Lessons and Phrases'. The second one is a good tool for beginners, you can listen to all words by tapping them which is useful for pronunciation, and it has a good set of beginner lessons and vocab which helped me out a lot to start with. Midori tough is what I use pretty much exclusively now. Its a great reference tool and dictionary. You can search for kanji/words by drawing, radical or romaji, there is a seemingly endless supply of example sentences attached to each of them. It also great flashcard support and somewhat helpful japanese to english translator.

They're both a tad expensive for the app store but thats pretty much par for the course with this category and they're both good value for money.

otmane

I've tried quite a lot, and the 2 I'd recommend are 'Midori' and 'Japanese Lessons and Phrases'. The second one is a good tool for beginners, you can listen to all words by tapping them which is useful for pronunciation, and it has a good set of beginner lessons and vocab which helped me out a lot to start with. Midori tough is what I use pretty much exclusively now. Its a great reference tool and dictionary. You can search for kanji/words by drawing, radical or romaji, there is a seemingly endless supply of example sentences attached to each of them. It also great flashcard support and somewhat helpful japanese to english translator.

They're both a tad expensive for the app store but thats pretty much par for the course with this category and they're both good value for money.

Thanks for the suggestions, they both look pretty good! Midori seems awesome for advanced learners, but I prefer to have a lesson structure to guide me, I'll download both tonight and give them a go (Japanese lessons and phrases is on sale right now btw).

If anyone else has any other suggestion they'd be welcomed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom