• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

So my Japanese class is organising a penpal system which I'd love to be a part of. Prolblem is we outnumber our Japanese counterparts by at least 2-1 so we all have to write a letter and then they choose they're favourites as penpals, which is annoying as I'm one of the least experienced in the class (by far).

Anyway I'm trying to say that I've been learning Japanese for six months. So far I've got: 私は6ヶ月日本語を勉強します。but it doesn't seem right to me so I was hoping someone could help me out? I might post the whole thing once I'm done if someone would be kind enough to point out mistakes.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So my Japanese class is organising a penpal system which I'd love to be a part of. Prolblem is we outnumber our Japanese counterparts by at least 2-1 so we all have to write a letter and then they choose they're favourites as penpals, which is annoying as I'm one of the least experienced in the class (by far).

Anyway I'm trying to say that I've been learning Japanese for six months. So far I've got: 私は6ヶ月日本語を勉強します。but it doesn't seem right to me so I was hoping someone could help me out? I might post the whole thing once I'm done if someone would be kind enough to point out mistakes.

If you really want something that sounds natural, try 6ヵ月ぐらい日本語を勉強してきました for instance. Or you could rephrase the whole thing: 半年前に日本語の勉強を始めました ("I started learning Japanese half a year ago). For some reason this kind of very simple sentences is what I always struggle with (I mean, phrasing them in a way that sounds natural), so if anyone feels my suggestions are not ideal, feel free to correct me.

So I'm not sure that this counts as a pun, but something popped in my head today that is my first step toward punning in Japanese.

Picture a hockey mask, with this underneath:

ききき ままま

Have the youngsters made fun of you yet? ;p

Not yet. Even better the only hottie in the class has picked me as her default partner.

Gacha-pin

As Kilrogg takes a different approach, I follow the structer of your sentence.

I've been learning Japanese for six months is 私は6ヶ月(間)、日本語を勉強しています。
And if you change the last います to いました then the meaning is changed to the past tense. I studied Japanese at the some point in the past.

私は6ヶ月日本語を勉強します sounds more like you are going to take a six month Japanese class or you've just started learning Japanese.

So I'm not sure that this counts as a pun, but something popped in my head today that is my first step toward punning in Japanese.

Picture a hockey mask, with this underneath:

ききき ままま

Not yet. Even better the only hottie in the class has picked me as her default partner.

This is not a pun at all. It's just placing two ひらがな characters but my favorite.

でつ

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
As Kilrogg takes a different approach, I follow the structer of your sentence.

I've been learning Japanese for six months is 私は6ヶ月(間)、日本語を勉強しています。
And if you change the last います to いました then the meaning is changed to the past tense. I studied Japanese at the some point in the past.

私は6ヶ月日本語を勉強します sounds more like you are going to take a six month Japanese class or you've just started learning Japanese.

As a Japanese speaker, what would you say is the difference between しています and してきました/してきています ? Is one translation better and more natural than the other?

This is not a pun at all. It's just placing two ひらがな characters but my favorite.

でつ

But that's why I prefaced it the way I did. I know that it is not to my standard, but it's the first flexing of that "muscle" in Japanese, the discovery of a homophone.

Gacha-pin

As a Japanese speaker, what would you say is the difference between しています and してきました/してきています ? Is one translation better and more natural than the other?

ummm...there is a difference in nuance, I think. Maybe we choose a
better one for the occasions but I can't say when you should use きています
over います exactly.

I try to tell the difference using AngryMoth's example.

私は日本語を勉強しています。
I study Japanese. It's simple just saying what you do currently.

私は日本語を勉強してきています。
I've been studying Japanese (for a quite some time) and continue to do it.
私は日本語を勉強してきました。
I have (had) been studying Japanese (it's not clear if the speaker
continues to do it or it's not the point in this sentence).
してきています/してきました might suit for a reply like the below.
job interview for a translator.
interviewer: Do you think you are qualified for the job?
applicant: 私は日本語を勉強してきています(してきました)。

My translation could be wrong though :p I have only a vague idea about
"have done" expression in English because Japanese doesn't have the
regular equivalent expression.

But that's why I prefaced it the way I did. I know that it is not to my standard, but it's the first flexing of that "muscle" in Japanese, the discovery of a homophone.

I didn't mean anything to yours きききままま :( I quoted your post just
because I wanted to jump in your topic.
I wanted to say "でつ is not a pun at all but it's my favorite."

Isn't きています like implying a timeline (same with iku)? For instance, きて would imply coming up to the present and いく would imply moving towards the future?

guide to japanese has good examples

色々な人と付き合ってきたけど、いい人はまだ見つからない
Went out (up to present) with many people, but still haven't found a good person.
冬に入って、コートを着ている人が増えていきます。
Entering Winter, people wearing coats will increase (towards future).

Fugu

I was taught to treat ~てきた like "have been" because it indicates progress towards a goal.

KtSlime

I was taught to treat ~てきた like "have been" because it indicates progress towards a goal.

According to Mc.Clain:
て来る:(2)verb of learning or preforming a skill+te kuru, refers to the preformance of an action beginning at any point in the past and continuing as far as the present, but not beyond. 今までそう習って来ました。"I have learned it that way up to now"

Gacha's nuanced interpretation seems pretty spot on - as usual.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Thank you Gacha-pin. That's the nuance I felt too, but I'd rather have native speakers confirm. So in this case your translation is a bit better than mine. Less ambiguous.

Jake.

i have some quick kanji translation questions:

1. what does this say? 'something' item? sorry, i don't know the kanji.

qEL31.jpg

2. what the hell is this - 長袖? if context is needed, its referring to a shirt.

thanks in advance!

KtSlime

i have some quick kanji translation questions:

1. what does this say? 'something' item? sorry, i don't know the kanji.

qEL31.jpg

2. what the hell is this - 長袖? if context is needed, its referring to a shirt.

thanks in advance!

1. It's like a "Big and Large (Tall?) Store" item. 大型 is large body, and 店 is shop/store.

2. I'm guessing it said 長袖のシャツ - Long sleeved shirt.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A bit late, but 大型店 is almost certainly referring to large wholesaler joints like Costco, Aeon, Jusco, Isetan, Yamada Denki, etc.

I don't think there is any dedicated 'politically correct' term for "big and tall shop" like in English. Would probably just say 「大きいサイズを取り扱うお店」 (おおきい サイズを とりあつかう おみせ).

KtSlime

A bit late, but 大型店 is almost certainly referring to large wholesaler joints like Costco, Aeon, Jusco, Isetan, Yamada Denki, etc.

I don't think there is any dedicated 'politically correct' term for "big and tall shop" like in English. Would probably just say 「大きいサイズを取り扱うお店」 (おおきい サイズを とりあつかう おみせ).

Oh okay thanks. I could not find the word in the 大辞林 or the 大辞泉 so I was taking a stab at it. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

neoemonk

I started RTK vol 1. People doing 100+ Kanji a day blow my mind. I did a lesson on the bus to work today (20 Kanji). Just did a review of them and missed 17. I was having a hard time remembering the primitives though.

KtSlime

I started RTK vol 1. People doing 100+ Kanji a day blow my mind. I did a lesson on the bus to work today (20 Kanji). Just did a review of them and missed 17. I was having a hard time remembering the primitives though.

Not that I am advocating the use of RTK, but I think you will find that in general, as you spend more time trying to remember kanji, you will become better equipped at remembering kanji. With few exceptions, kanji that I do not 'know' and see for the 'first' time I can remember for probably a good 20 or so minutes after seeing it. I recommend that when you see a kanji you are learning that you write it with your finger in the air, or on your palm. It would behoove you to learn the general pattern that kanji are written. There are some exceptions, but not many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_order#General_guidelines

Good luck with your learning.

louis89

JLPT results are out for people that took it in Japan. I passed N1! Got 74%. Not bad considering I didn't actually study :D

luca1980

Banned
ok i'll give it a shoot with remembering the kana and after that remembering the kanji as a start with japanese, after that i will try sora no kiseki second chapter with midori app and iphone aside...

neoemonk

This might sound lame but whatever. I've always liked video game soundtracks and I have a few with Japanese singing on them. Can anyone make recommendations of video game songs with Japanese lyrics? I've been listening to the final songs on the soundtracks that came with Persona 3 and Persona 4 for example, but I don't have any more right now.

angelfly

This might sound lame but whatever. I've always liked video game soundtracks and I have a few with Japanese singing on them. Can anyone make recommendations of video game songs with Japanese lyrics? I've been listening to the final songs on the soundtracks that came with Persona 3 and Persona 4 for example, but I don't have any more right now.

Melodies of Life from FF9 is one of my favorites and the lyrics are easy to learn as well because of the pace of the song.

Boogiepop

So, I've recently changed my major to Japanese, as I seemed to be doing a lot better with it than engineering. Going pretty smoothly, but now I'm kind of left wondering: is there anything I can do for an internship with only intermediate skills (currently in the fourth class out of six offered for the language)? It just seems like a difficult thing to intern for if you're only partway through learning the language. If anyone has any hints/suggestions from experience, it'd be much appreciated.

cousins

So, I've recently changed my major to Japanese, as I seemed to be doing a lot better with it than engineering. Going pretty smoothly, but now I'm kind of left wondering: is there anything I can do for an internship with only intermediate skills (currently in the fourth class out of six offered for the language)? It just seems like a difficult thing to intern for if you're only partway through learning the language. If anyone has any hints/suggestions from experience, it'd be much appreciated.

What exactly will (or can) you do with a degree in Japanese? I was under the impression that all you could truly do was teach english, and I've heard that doesn't have much room for advancement.

Taking Japanese in college atm (so much better than high school french) however looking at the OP all I see is Kanji.

I'm pretty sure Hiragana and Katakana are the common writing styles in Japan, not Kanji

Taking Japanese in college atm (so much better than high school french) however looking at the OP all I see is Kanji.

I'm pretty sure Hiragana and Katakana are the common writing styles in Japan, not Kanji

Kanji is used with both. You're going to have to learn kanji if you want to read japanese.

Slavik81

I'll be happy when I can read children's books.

Also, I discovered the international mode on my phone!

おやすみなさい。(^-^)/

midonnay

Not that I am advocating the use of RTK, but I think you will find that in general, as you spend more time trying to remember kanji, you will become better equipped at remembering kanji. With few exceptions, kanji that I do not 'know' and see for the 'first' time I can remember for probably a good 20 or so minutes after seeing it.

yeah, its because a scary fucker of 20+ strokes becomes a tame kitten of 3 or 4 radicals/primitives.

RTK is great for helping to remember which components make up the kanji.

trying to remember something like 鑿 through rote memorisation would probably make my head explode.

KtSlime

Any 漢字博士 here? How would one go about studying for the 漢検?

I am technically according to KanjiBox only a N1 漢字忍者, I hope that is acceptable.

I study for the 漢字検定 using flashcards, 漢検DS3デラックス, and KanjiBox. I find it works pretty well, although if anyone else has some suggestions I too would like to hear of them.

midonnay: Haha, yeah. Getting used to breaking down the characters is an important skill that comes with time and practice. RTK works well for that, especially when you go from keyword -> kanji (write the character down on a whiteboard or in your palm for the best practice)

AnathemicOne: It's very much blended. 'Nouns' and 'verbs' rely heavily on kanji, grammatical markers (particles) and inflections rely on kana - don't play the game where you tell yourself that don't have to learn something, it will only hurt you in the end.

cousins

I guess not much? A friend of mine was telling me he wanted to get a degree in japanese linguistics. It sounds amazing, but not very practical.

Zoe

Unless you live in an area filled with translation/localization agencies, the chances of getting a relevant internship are slim to none. Most people who major in Japanese do study abroad instead.

luca1980

Banned
I don't especially agree with the Heisig's method, I find it in many ways backwards, obtuse, and unrewarding. That said, I think his 'Remembering the Kana' is one of the finest and quickest methods of acquiring that skill.

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far, keep at it!

I read the hiragana part and i ll need a lot of re work on it( some are set in the stone on my mind others....not).

I wanted to know if, when I'll be able to grasp it with comfort, for the next move is better rtk and skip katakana or not. Any Suggestions?
I am trying to learn Jp to play few trails at the momen: I d like the quickest route for understanding the game

Desiato

JLPT results are out for people that took it in Japan. I passed N1! Got 74%. Not bad considering I didn't actually study :D

Oh wow, that's a pretty amazing score for N1, especially without any studying. I love boasting about having passed N1, but I usually don't mention that I barely passed it with just 102/180. :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oh wow, that's a pretty amazing score for N1, especially without any studying. I love boasting about having passed N1, but I usually don't mention that I barely passed it with just 102/180. :p

Ha, beat you! Got 105/180 :p. Didn't study much (if at all, really) for it either.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
About characters like ふ and り, what's the more common way to see them? "Closed" where the strokes are connected or "open" with the gaps? I know it's important to recognize them both ways, but I'm just curious since the stuff I'm using is displaying them differently.

Zoe

About characters like ふ and り, what's the more common way to see them? "Closed" where the strokes are connected or "open" with the gaps? I know it's important to recognize them both ways, but I'm just curious since the stuff I'm using is displaying them differently.

Everybody I know writes them open...

jTcvg.jpg

Fugu

Open for both. Same deal with さ and き, although those are pretty much always connected in fonts. I've only ever seen り and ふ connected when they're written with a brush; I don't think anyone handwrites them that way.

I am technically according to KanjiBox only a N1 漢字忍者, I hope that is acceptable.

I study for the 漢字検定 using flashcards, 漢検DS3デラックス, and KanjiBox. I find it works pretty well, although if anyone else has some suggestions I too would like to hear of them.

Sounds solid. 漢検DS3デラックス doesn't seem to be too pricey. I'll try to take 1級 in a few years :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom