• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Flynn

Looks like the DLC is on:

Edmund said:
Just got finished drawing up icons for a new item set in the isaac expansion they are called "trinkets" held items that give passive bonuses]

there are 20 of them, they will be as common as pills and cards but easier to get out of the fortune teller machine, another new addition.

the additions i mentioned will only be a very small portion of the mega expansion that should release next year

I have no release date for it, im working on it casually. it will be 3 bucks and add about 50% new content, details on what as i make them.

Zzoram

Steam holiday achievement is a pain, so random if you even get a chance to do it.

How does the Xbox 360 pad work? Not natively supported? Better than KB/M?

BY2K

Membero Americo
No, you know what, this achievement is worse.

1. You pretty much need to be flawless if you want more chance to make the room appear, and sometimes the randomly generated design of the room can screw you over.
2. Even if you do manage to finish the level and not get hit once, there's still chances that the room won't appear.
3. And even if it does, there's STILL chances that it will be Satan and not the other guy.

SCREW. THIS.

Flynn

No, you know what, this achievement is worse.

1. You pretty much need to be flawless if you want more chance to make the room appear, and sometimes the randomly generated design of the room can screw you over.
2. Even if you do manage to finish the level and not get hit once, there's still chances that the room won't appear.
3. And even if it does, there's STILL chances that it will be Satan and not the other guy.

SCREW. THIS.

I've beaten Krampus six or seven times now. You can have one of mine.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I've beaten Krampus six or seven times now. You can have one of mine.

WgwKm.png

I got Binding of Isaac today just because of how much fun I had with Super Meat Boy not too long ago and this game does not disappoint. Haven't done a full playthrough yet, but I killed mom once, sort of, the achievement qualifying version of killing her at least, it doesn't mark down in my stats. Having played 6 hours of this today, I can safely say my $1.24 was well spent.

I managed to kill Krampus twice now, but I wasn't really going for it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I got Binding of Isaac today just because of how much fun I had with Super Meat Boy not too long ago and this game does not disappoint. Haven't done a full playthrough yet, but I killed mom once, sort of, the achievement qualifying version of killing her at least, it doesn't mark down in my stats. Having played 6 hours of this today, I can safely say my $1.24 was well spent.

I managed to kill Krampus twice now, but I wasn't really going for it.

ASJKHJSFHJDBE

Acerac

Banned
Just got this game (and somehow managed to beat it on my first go due to lucky drops) and I must say I am impressed, I'm certainly going to have to play through it more, especially since I've heard there is still more to do.

Just got this game (and somehow managed to beat it on my first go due to lucky drops) and I must say I am impressed, I'm certainly going to have to play through it more, especially since I've heard there is still more to do.

Yeah, how well you do really depends on how lucky you get with the drops. If you haven't gotten some sort of damage/tears up by the time you reach the Caverns, you're going to get royally murdered.

My most fun combination of items was
Judas
+ Book of Belial + Chocolate Milk + Technology = Huge-ass beam of death that takes up 1/4 of the screen.

Oreoleo

I just had a great run :D

It took entering maybe 6 or 7 devil rooms but I found Krampus and killed him on my first attempt, killed the last of the 7 deadly sins, unlocked Cain, and killed mom for the first time, all in the same run. Feels good man. This game is pretty awesome.

Of course that was preceded by 7 hours of trial and error and bad luck.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have been using this little fella to play:

images

Works really well, although I still have to hit Q on the keyboard. (Back is bomb and Start is item).

Alot easier on my fingers than using my keyboard :)

Thrakier

So, how do I know what the items do? All those weird cards and stuff?

Also: I'd like to know if it's hard to finish it. It seems so. Came to Cave 1 and died there...

jgminto

Do people really have a problem using the keyboard? Using WASD for movement and up/down/left/right for shooting feels fine to me. I'd think it would feel weird with most d-pads.

BigAT

I just got this in the Steam sale for like $1.50 and man it's so good, I should have got it earlier.

Does anything carry over or save after you die or exit the game? On the menu screen, I see icons that look like a sword and a shoe with notches next to it - what are those, stat ranks?
I believe what you're looking at is where it shoes the various stats for each starting character. Speed, damage, firing rate and range. Each of the characters starts with a different rating in those.

Do people really have a problem using the keyboard? Using WASD for movement and up/down/left/right for shooting feels fine to me. I'd think it would feel weird with most d-pads.

Admittedly I never tried a gamepad, but after playing so long with the keyboard I really can't imagine a gamepad being any better. WASD just felt so right from the beginning, I was never even tempted to try anything else.

For what it's worth, I think there is a save file on the Steam Forums that will unlock the Krampus achievement. I wouldn't normally encourage that type of thing, but it took me 30+ Devil Rooms to finally get him to spawn and I would hate to see other players forced into that, especially people that are just picking up the game for the first time.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

I quite enjoy using the keyboard as well, but after a while of playing my joints start to seize and hurt. Guess it is a combo of old age, this mechanical keyboard and staying in one position for so long :)

Flynn

For what it's worth, I think there is a save file on the Steam Forums that will unlock the Krampus achievement. I wouldn't normally encourage that type of thing, but it took me 30+ Devil Rooms to finally get him to spawn and I would hate to see other players forced into that, especially people that are just picking up the game for the first time.

What's the deal? Are they giving away TF2 hats in exchange for these achievements?

Brashnir

This is a flash game.

Like it says in the options, just use joy2key or xpadder or something like that.

I've been using xpadder for the game, but it shouldn't be necessary. It's a real amateur-hour move and is honestly pretty pathetic in a paid-for product. It it was some free browser game I'd be happy to give it a pass, but this thing is on Steam and costs money.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I've been using xpadder for the game, but it shouldn't be necessary. It's a real amateur-hour move and is honestly pretty pathetic in a paid-for product. It it was some free browser game I'd be happy to give it a pass, but this thing is on Steam and costs money.
This. So much this.

Is there a reason Flash doesn't have basic USB GamePad support at this point? Java games work great with it (Spiral Knight, etc.).

Mr_Zombie

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I've defeated Mom's Heart and Satan's Room appeared. But no, for some reason instead of checking out the room I've opened the chest and thus ended the game.

Fuck!

Shahadan

You can cheat by changing a number in the serial.txt of the game, iirc. Then booting the game and poof, achievement unlocked.

Anyway I've played almost 4 hours and loved the game. Wouldn't have even heard about it without the winter event.

Anony

You can cheat by changing a number in the serial.txt of the game, iirc. Then booting the game and poof, achievement unlocked.

Anyway I've played almost 4 hours and loved the game. Wouldn't have even heard about it without the winter event.

more info now

Yeah, I saw that. I wanna know which value is associated with Loki's Horns, so I can cheat to unlock my legitimately earned Loki's Horns. ):

Really enjoying this, but I wish it was a tiny bit more forgiving with items and "upgrades" and such. I've yet to make it to the end. And yeah I've given up hope on ever getting that achievement.

Yeah the decision to make the game in flash seems to limit the game in a lot of ways, but I guess Edmund would have had to worked with a different programmer to begin with otherwise.

And he said a bunch of times he didn't expect many people to actually care about the game, that it was just a little side project to take a "break" after SMB.

Jasoco

Banned
Well he should have known his popularity would follow him to whatever projects he worked with next.

Like when Notch did that little 3D dungeon crawler game for Ludum Dare. If it weren't Notch, it probably wouldn't have been noticed nearly as much as it was.

Acerac

Banned
This game is so great! Just beat the real ending after one death due to crappy items beforehand. I can't wait to get to hard mode. I can see myself replaying this game for ages.

This game is so great! Just beat the real ending after one death due to crappy items beforehand. I can't wait to get to hard mode. I can see myself replaying this game for ages.

Real ending? Hard mode? I still haven't finished it. I got seven hearts at one point and made the stupid mistake of turning into the black devil with 3 soul hearts. That was the closest I've come to Mom.

Acerac

Banned
Real ending? Hard mode? I still haven't finished it. I got seven hearts at one point and made the stupid mistake of turning into the black devil with 3 soul hearts. That was the closest I've come to Mom.

Well there's Mom and then there's
Moms Heart
Took me one try for the first and two tries for the second. Then after
six kills on Moms Heart apparently the difficulty of all the rooms gets a bit crazy, but I've yet to see that.

I'm pretty happy with my progress on this game thusfar.

Oh, guys please help!

My game keeps crashing and giving me a blue screen of death. Happened about 5 times today and after running my usual diagnostics, I'm certain that it's this game that's causing it. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Top Bottom