• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

c72f573d046441ccd4df50291fbda5b1.png

Got 64 hours of fun with 5 bucks. My Indie GOTY.

Congrats. I'm now on 72 hours with 42/51. Definitely indie GOTY. Just so very very good.

Well - I've made it to
The Womb
twice now, and died in the first area twice. I'm getting better and better, and so is this game. I'm close to calling it my game of the year, even over Portal 2.

Vlad

Thing is that Dr. Fetus got me there no problem. It was almost too easy.

Yeah, Dr. Fetus is probably the most useful item I've found so far. Sure, brimstone's nice, but it's balanced out by the time it takes to actually fire it. Dr. Fetus, though, that pretty much turns the game into a cakewalk, as long as you don't do something stupid and blow yourself up.

Across my 100 or so games, I have literally only gotten Dr. Fetus once. ):

Also, Brimstone goes from pretty cool to SHITDAMN AMAZIN' if you also have chocolate milk. :D

Vlad

Across my 100 or so games, I have literally only gotten Dr. Fetus once. ):

Also, Brimstone goes from pretty cool to SHITDAMN AMAZIN' if you also have chocolate milk. :D

I think I've gotten Dr. Fetus twice. The first time carried me through to my first Sheol victory (also helps that I got the homing bombs and Mr. Mega on the same playthrough).

Haven't managed to get brimstone and chocolate milk together on the same playthrough yet. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Haven't managed to get brimstone and chocolate milk together on the same playthrough yet. I'll keep an eye out for them.
I remember hearing about the brimstone chocolate milk combination thinking that it would lead me to victory. Then when I eventually got it I was so completely underwhelmed. I envisioned this endless beam of red spew, but in reality it was just a moderately quick repeating beam. Not all its cracked up to be, certainly not a definite game-winner either.

Maybe they nerfed it when that patch came out with the note "nerfed some combinations" because it was absolutely THE most devastating combo, period, when I got it. It would kill all all basic enemies in one shot, and could be spammed to your heart's content. It was slightly weaker than a fully charged shot, but not enough to make it worth charging. The three times I managed to get it was pretty early in the game, and I tehn proceeded to make it through the entire rest of the game without getting hit, except for one of those three times, I got hit by the devil, because it was my first fight with him where I got to the third stage.

Seriously, that shit was boss. So, if you're saying that, it must be nerfed.

Either that or you're just bad. :D

Davidion

Yesterday I blew through the complete playthough through Sheol with Cain, and found a bug(?) that basically enables invincibility.

Cain with:
Relic
Book of Rev
Brimstone
Battery
Spoon Bender
1up

Basically, I had 1 heart and 4 soul hearts; upon getting the brimstone, I didn't die but basically dropped to zero hearts with soul hearts like ????. After dying once in a random room, I revived with the 1up and stopped taking damage (no damage animations whatsoever). Fighting Satan I basically stood in one spot and kept blasting.

Anyone know if this is a known bug?

It is entirely possible that I am just bad. I'm edging on 92 hours played and I still haven't finished Sheol. :(

If you grabbed a damage-dropping item like the odd mushroom, it's entirely possible for you to end up with the brimstone later but with only level one damage, when it should be maxed.

Edit: They did nerf it.

From Edmund's twitter.

d6dd429ea746127968dae5d2a0d46fae.png

Man, I'm all for this. I've gotten everything in the game and still love playing through it.

I informed Mr. McMillen that I would pay for it, and that I'd also pay for a recode in not-Flash.

I don't really expect the latter to happen, but I can certainly hope! As far as I'm concerned, it is literally the only thing holding the game back.

Finally beat Mom last night. I love that this game doesn't get old. When I got to the end
I shot her a few times and then used XIX The Sun
and it was nothing :)

Aaaand beat
Mom's Heart
again. After one clear it gets a lot easier!

I love how much easier Mom herself seems now that I've run the gauntlet a few times. (Of course, it still sucks if you space out, forget which level you're on, and wander into her room when you're not ready. Not that I would know from experience or anything.)

Killed
Mom's Heart
for the third time, and a
Satan room
appeared in the room when I killed her! Went into the trap door within, died in the next area. Fuck.

Flynn

The slim benefit of getting a drop, usually just a penny, by destroying it. I'm all for being thorough to get as strong as possible, but that just doesn't seem to be worth the time.

That's what I figured. I guess the only other perceivable advantage would be to use it as a blockade. Seems...shitty.

Flynn

I finally beat Sheol. Still shy 11 secrets. I'm not 100% sure what they are because my achievements have only popped once (in a big spurt) so I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them.

KarmaCow

So is there any trick to getting the
four horsemen to spawn as bosses? I want the super meat boy achievement but I've never collected more than two cubes of meat. Getting four seems really improbable.

Speaking of luck, managed to get a
Relic, the Book of Revelations, a Wafer and Brimstone along with the usual stat boosting stuff
in one playthrough as the last character. All I really needed was
chocolate milk
to be completely overpowered.

Vlad

So is there any trick to getting the
four horsemen to spawn as bosses? I want the super meat boy achievement but I've never collected more than two cubes of meat. Getting four seems really improbable.

Supposedly carrying the
book of revelation will make you encounter all of them. That's how I managed to get all four in a single playthrough.

BigAT

Supposedly carrying the
book of revelation will make you encounter all of them. That's how I managed to get all four in a single playthrough.

It does. I think that's the only reasonable way to get the achievement. I got it when I found the Book of Revelation on the first floor and carried it the rest of the game.

KarmaCow

Supposedly carrying the

Weird, I got that
near the end of the my run but didn't encounter any in boss rooms. Can they spawn in the Womb levels?

BigAT

Weird, I got that
near the end of the my run but didn't encounter any in boss rooms. Can they spawn in the Womb levels?

It won't cause them to spawn over any set bosses (
Mom, Mom's Heart, Sheol
). I think you can get a Horseman on Womb I, but not Womb II.

I got this game in one of the previous Indie bundles, but haven't posted about it yet. Holy shit this game is fucked up. I'm sorry, I'd love to be able to look past its aesthetics and just enjoy the gameplay, but I can't. I just can't. I'm sorry GAF.

Chris R

I got this game in one of the previous Indie bundles, but haven't posted about it yet. Holy shit this game is fucked up. I'm sorry, I'd love to be able to look past its aesthetics and just enjoy the gameplay, but I can't. I just can't. I'm sorry GAF.

Fucked up as in the game is a sick game, how can anyone enjoy something like that, or fucked up as in the game is a buggy game (in OSX at least) that needs to be patched asap!

InertiaXr

Is there decent controller support for this yet? I got this at launch and didn't like the keyboard controls very much, always seemed to have to fight them and not have fun.

Orayn

Is there decent controller support for this yet? I got this at launch and didn't like the keyboard controls very much, always seemed to have to fight them and not have fun.
You have to use something like Joy2Key or Xpadder. It's written in Flash and can't communicated with controllers.

Vlad

Weird, I got that

To expand on what BigAT said:

The horsemen will only spawn 1 per area. So you'll get one in the Basement, one in the Caves, one in the Depths, and one in the Womb
. This means that if you haven't fought one in the Basement, you absolutely won't be able to get all four in that run. So, a lot of it comes down to luck as far as when you get the Book of Revelations as a drop (or see it in the shop).[/spoiler]

Top Bottom