• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Maxim726X

I find keyboard a billion times more comfortable (or at least a billion times less awkward), but that's because my dad raised me right. );

Fuck that.

Couldn't play the game until I found that helpful Joy2Key settings file posted by Salsa...

By the way, how many times do I have to beat it until I get access to the true boss?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
While I am comfortable with keys, long term play gives me "Hawking's Claw". While I love the games of Team Meat, their attitude toward usability and bugs is deeply disappointing.

Just from a standpoint of respect for the player, why is there no automatic controller support, or even something as basic as Achievements for the Mac? They need to state otherwise on the features list so people pick the version more suited to their needs.

While I am comfortable with keys, long term play gives me "Hawking's Claw". While I love the games of Team Meat, their attitude toward usability and bugs is deeply disappointing.

Just from a standpoint of respect for the player, why is there no automatic controller support, or even something as basic as Achievements for the Mac? They need to state otherwise on the features list so people pick the version more suited to their needs.

Yeah, I'm just messing around, it's obviously preference. I agree that it's kind of shitty they don't have gamepad support for BoI, buuuuut it is a flash game. Technical limitations and all.

I have no problem with the sarcastic SMB "gamepade is best", though. U:

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I finally got around to Joy2Keying my 360 pad to work with this game.

What a difference. I had trouble killing one boss before, and on my first playthrough using the 360 pad, I tore through four in a row.

This game is brilliant. Completely different experience using the control method it was designed for (but for god knows what reason doesn't actually support).

However, how do I get items that are on islands with pits around them?

kennah

I finally got around to Joy2Keying my 360 pad to work with this game.

What a difference. I had trouble killing one boss before, and on my first playthrough using the 360 pad, I tore through four in a row.

This game is brilliant. Completely different experience using the control method it was designed for (but for god knows what reason doesn't actually support).

Either be able to fly, or buy/find a ladder. It's sad, so many levels where you can't possibly get the treasure :(

Vlad

You can't do it without the assistance of items. Off the top of my head:

The Magnet will let you pull some items (coins, keys, hearts) over to you if you can get close enough.

The Ladder will let you cross 1-block gaps.

Lord of the Pit and A Pony will let you constantly fly.

The Bible and the Shears will let you fly for the current room only.

There might be others, but those are the ones that spring to mind. Also, you can use bombs to push the rocks in the area onto adjacent pits, making a bridge. This will only let you cross single-tile gaps, and it sometimes doesn't work (the block gets destroyed instead of being pushed over).

I think of my 6 wins, 4 of them have come while using the Book of Revelations. When I get that thing, and then make some good deals with the devil... the soul hearts just stack up and I destroy everything. I had 0 hearts my last win (as MAGGY!), because I traded them all away, but I finished the game only 2 soul hearts short of completely full.

13 hours played, finally won today. My second time meeting Mom. The first time I didn't really know what was happening. This time she was a pretty easy boss. The real boss is The Depths.

Teleport was the star for me. I Teleported through most of Depths I, which sucked because I had tons of money and didn't get the store or the power up room on either floors of the Depths.

On Depths II, I teleported after the second room, to the room right next to Mom. I had one heart and one soul heart. I killed the four blood spewing vaginas in the room, and then used my tarot card -- I held off because I didn't know what it did. It was The Sun. FULL HEAL! Mom was a piece of cake with my 8 hearts.

I feel like I could keep playing this, but I'm gonna call it done and get on with other games.

Flynn

13 hours played, finally won today. My second time meeting Mom. The first time I didn't really know what was happening. This time she was a pretty easy boss. The real boss is The Depths.

Teleport was the star for me. I Teleported through most of Depths I, which sucked because I had tons of money and didn't get the store or the power up room on either floors of the Depths.

On Depths II, I teleported after the second room, to the room right next to Mom. I had one heart and one soul heart. I killed the four blood spewing vaginas in the room, and then used my tarot card -- I held off because I didn't know what it did. It was The Sun. FULL HEAL! Mom was a piece of cake with my 8 hearts.

I feel like I could keep playing this, but I'm gonna call it done and get on with other games.

Um.

You don't understand, you've only just started.

Mr_Zombie

I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Until you unlock every single item and get every single ending you are not done with the game. The game won't allow you. It will keep calling your name.

Gawd

I was SO close to beating The Womb with ???. I was in The Womb 1 and I had Mega Bomb, Dr. Fetus, and The Bible. Unfortunately, I choked with Scolex, and I simply couldn't hit him with the bomb, and eventually died when he popped up right underneath me :( I even had the Compass and Dungeon Map, so I would be able to make my way straight toward the final boss (if I made it there ;-;).

Vlad

I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Until you unlock every single item and get every single ending you are not done with the game. The game won't allow you. It will keep calling your name.

Not to mention that he didn't even beat the last boss yet.

Weenerz

Banned
Finally beat this for the first time the other day, I got lucky and found Technology and just destroyed everything. And like 12 shield heats :x

Guanoape

Neo Member
Beat The Womb for the first time today after ~4 hours of play. I was really lucky on this particular run though, because I had a ridiculous amount of survivability with 12 hearts, the 1up, Yum Heart, and 9 Volt, and very good damage with the Inner Eye, Ouija Board, and a variety of speed/firing speed upgrades. This might just be the best €1,25 I've ever spent!

BAH.

I almost just beat Satan on my first game playing as ???.

I had a rough time finding blue hearts but did well (no hit achievement training, ho!), I had some great items (including map AND compass plus a one-up). Well, in Sheol I had the direct path to the boss and decided to fight a boss I shouldn't have instead of bombing through to the next room (the allure of the secret room was too tempting, which ended up just housing Greed). So I made it to Satan with just three hearts and on one-up. Alas, I almost beat his second form. I was holding on to my Unicorn Horn to use on the final form but I didn't make it.

Next time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2cN4DkEQEE The Binding of Isaac - - Ed McMillen Co-Commentary!

Ed McMillen and "Northernlion" (a Youtube Let's Player) sat down to discuss The Binding of Isaac as well as its upcoming expansion, Wrath of the Lamb.

Ed shares some exclusive info about the upcoming expansion (new items types, enemy types, and room types) while co-commentating one of Northernlion's gameplays.

Joe Molotov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2cN4DkEQEE The Binding of Isaac - - Ed McMillen Co-Commentary!

Ed McMillen and "Northernlion" (a Youtube Let's Player) sat down to discuss The Binding of Isaac as well as its upcoming expansion, Wrath of the Lamb.

Ed shares some exclusive info about the upcoming expansion (new items types, enemy types, and room types) while co-commentating one of Northernlion's gameplays.

After watching that video, I just realized you can move at an angle to get stuff that's between four spike blocks without getting hurt. :eek:

survivor

Banned
Just managed to unlock Judas yesterday. I don't know if I like him that much so far, I kinda like Magdalene ability more.

Gonna try to beat the game again.

tm24

Oh my god what a rush. Beat mom's heart for the first time with a run that shouldn't of gone that far, but somehow i kept making it further and further. Got a few hearts here and there, some easy bosses, 2 full health pills and then mashing my full range poison tears while my bird did some marginal dps and my pretty fly and meat cube absorbing bullets. Run went on for like an hour and a half. Such a thrill ride

Joe Molotov

My Eve runs continue to end in despair. I did pretty good this last time, when I decided to play her like ??? and sold all my hearts to the Devil for The Nail and Sister Maggy. Actually managed to no-hit the Caves (yay achievement) and made it to Sheol, but still couldn't get a Satan kill.

Gintoki

Y942D.png

This was the run I beat sheol for the first time, probably the luckiest run I've had. Just two bars off to perfect stats, also I got dollar two times.

For the no damage achievements, how'd you guys get them? Were you just lucky and used a shovel or just skipped the rooms and get to the boss directly? I'm only done with the basement one.

Vlad

For the no damage achievements, how'd you guys get them? Were you just lucky and used a shovel or just skipped the rooms and get to the boss directly? I'm only done with the basement one.

I don't know if you've gotten him unlocked yet, but there's a character that's literally invincible. He's called
???
. It's cheesy, but going through the game as him lets you unlock the achievements.

Gintoki

I don't know if you've gotten him unlocked yet, but there's a character that's literally invincible. He's called
???
. It's cheesy, but going through the game as him lets you unlock the achievements.

Yea I unlocked him. I was trying to defeat sheol with the other characters first then play on him last heh. Just done with Isaac and Maggy.

Having gotten all of them, the no damage achievements are 75% skill, 25% luck, I think.

You HAVE to be good. You HAVE to survive most situations unscathed. Most importantly, you HAVE to be an expert at boss fights.

The most important items for no damage runs are the compass (firstly) and the map (secondly). The primary idea is that you get to the bosses in the quickest manner possible. An Emperor card is invaluable but I have found it to be quite rare. Try to get a defensive item (Mom's Pad/Mom's Bra) or an Invincibility item (Unicorn Horn/Game Kid) as your Space Bar item and know when to use them. Don't be afraid to bomb your way to the boss if possible if you're in a tough room (although oftentimes that in itself can be just as hard as fighting your way out).

Cain is a good character for these runs, with whatever the Lucky Foot does (primarily in this case, all pills will be positive).

Isaac with the D6 should be awesome as well, with the ability to reroll items.

Devil Room items count as damage. I learned this the hard way (it ruined my first no damage run of The Depths). But take as many as you can BEFORE you get to which area you're going for. Since you're going for a no damage run, being left with one heart is not a concern. More power is.

Joe Molotov

Issac with D6 is probably the best for no-hit runs because it's easier to stockpile good items on the earlier levels.

???

There was a glitch that made him invincible, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work after the Christmas update.

???

Really? So it doesn't matter if you lose soul hearts?

Vlad

There was a glitch that made him invincible, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work after the Christmas update.

Oh?

Well, that would make more sense, then. I only tried the game with him once to get the unlocks, and never bothered doing it again because the run was so damn boring.

Gintoki

I managed to find mom's knife before going to the caves and got the cave's no damage! It can be a little annoying to charge but its so powerful, I almost two hit killed the boss (Pestilence). I had steven's head and the halo too.

You HAVE to be good. You HAVE to survive most situations unscathed. Most importantly, you HAVE to be an expert at boss fights.

Yea you're right. Its just that sometimes theres too much projectiles. As for the bosses, the horsemen annoy me. (Especially death, thank god I killed pestilence fast enough) Also it does require lots of luck, heh.

Joe Molotov

Oh man, I just had a god-tier run with Maggy. 15 hearts (3 more than will even fit on the screen) + Book of Revelations + 9 Volt + Batteries + Full Health pill + 1up. I think I got 7 blood bags. :lol

Top Bottom