• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Just getting into WotL, really digging it so far. Ran through a "teeth" door, only to find 2 chests, both of which contained spiders. This game hurts me in a way that I enjoy.

Currently rocking the pentagram and chemical peel with tech 2. This, this is going to do just fine.

Epicac is quite fearsome indeed. I got Epicac combined with the 3 dollar bill, which randomizes the tears. In some room I got the mirror tears. Epicac tears that recurved back to me were quite horrible.

Yikes, that would be brutal.

I'm on Spectral + Epicac right now, kind helps since it autoaims a bit.

Still trying to figure out what the Match Sticks and Goat Hoof do.

EDIT: Alas, Friends Til the End did me in as they corralled a bomb into my face.

New playthrough just revealed a nun's headpiece....says I'm an Item Martyr?
Died pretty soon thereafter; but either that or Childs Heart gives you two bombs/hearts/keys per pickup!

Joe Molotov

Made it to the new final boss. I was like
1412td4.gif

Majukun

some of the new items changes the appearance of isaac even more of the previous ones

27y0mx4.png

the game is a bit glitchy after the expansion.

BigAT

Ran into a bug while playing, I was unable to pick up any of the passive items after I had gained the flying/floating ability. I just few right over them.

Also for some reason I didn't get access to the new area after beating Sheol, despite having 10+ game wins.

BigAT

Also, was Brimstone severely nerfed or did I hit a bug with it? I got it after I already had a tear effect that caused me to shoot really slowly but hit hard (Polyphemus). When I grabbed Brimstone though, the charge time was about three times longer than it used to be, which made it nearly unusable.

Davidion

Ran into a bug while playing, I was unable to pick up any of the passive items after I had gained the flying/floating ability. I just few right over them.

Also for some reason I didn't get access to the new area after beating Sheol, despite having 10+ game wins.

Did you pick up another passive? Some of them can't be swapped out so you're stuck with it for the rest of your session.

Also, was Brimstone severely nerfed or did I hit a bug with it? I got it after I already had a tear effect that caused me to shoot really slowly but hit hard (Polyphemus). When I grabbed Brimstone though, the charge time was about three times longer than it used to be, which made it nearly unusable.

Yeah that increased charge time is brutal. I actually thought I had lost the ability to fire for several rooms before I figured it out (Brimstone + Epicac + the Brass Knuckles tooth launcher thing)

Joe Molotov

You go to the new area instead of Sheol, you have to step into the light.

So I'v just started playing this and im loving it, Im on about Hour 5 a t the moment.

Pretty pissed actually, I just walked into one of those special items rooms (with the devil head on the door) and it had both brimstone and Lord of the Pit inside so i grabbed both and i instantly died.

What the hell happened.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So I'v just started playing this and im loving it, Im on about Hour 5 a t the moment.

Pretty pissed actually, I just walked into one of those special items rooms (with the devil head on the door) and it had both brimstone and Lord of the Pit inside so i grabbed both and i instantly died.

What the hell happened.

Devil room items cost hearts. As in, if it costs 2 hearts you lose two hearts from your life meter. If you spend 4 hears and only had 4 hearts, you die. You've got no hearts left.

Sarcasm

Where is Joy2key hosted? I google and I find a site labeled Joy2Key English version..why is it labeled like that and is it the right one?

Acerac

Banned
Ahh. Sad now. Figures id be pretty powerful using both of them.

That's the fun thing about devil rooms. You can become godly powerful... but how much health are you willing to part with?

I've had runs where I give up all my health and run on soul hearts alone. Those are the runs that'll keep your blood pumping.

Left this game running with myself in an empty room the other day, because my run was going well but taking too long and I had to get somewhere. Forgot about it, came home, and heard the music coming from my computer room and was creeped out (but then excited to finish my run).

I failed, btw.

Bizzity

Here's the quick and dirty version. If it's interesting to you I can direct you to the longer, more researched, more eloquent, better, version when it's ready.

Binding of Isaac is a phenomenal game for many reasons. However, what I find most interesting is the narrative and the way it works with the gameplay to tell a very intriguing story about human nature. Isaac is, quite obviously, a child. A child that is nearing the age of puberty.
The initial disconnect between Isaac and his mother is one of extreme religious disconnect. Isaac has reached the age were he has begun to form his own thoughts and opinions about the world, and, as one might suspect, it does not agree with that of his mother's. This is something that most anyone can relate to. We all experience the alienation from our parents as we begin to grow and question everything they have taught us. This leads many youths to search for their own meaning, through video games or friendship or just isolation from their parents. This is the metaphorical, and perhaps quite literal, basement. How common is the story of the teenager spending all their time in the basement doing whatever it is, alone, or just away from their family?
As the story continues we see Isaac slowly grow from prepubescent child, afraid of spiders and bugs and simple, instinctual fears, into the isaac at the end of the game; his fears are much more modern, adult.
I believe the procedural generation plays into this very well. It says to the player, to the child that is coming of age, that there are an infinite number of paths you can take to reach the potential of who you are. Any different combination of items or friends or techniques you learn along the way, can lead you to the ultimate goal of realizing who you truly are as a person. Whether it be through acceptance of your own original sin, if you follow religion, or destruction of one's own self, quite literally, and becoming who you are and not who your mother or anyone else thinks that you should or could be.

That's the quick and dirty for now. I do promise a more complete, researched, in-depth essay at a later date. Thank you for reading, and I hope it was enjoyable.

Croc

Banned
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago when it was like $1.50 on steam and I have put soooo much time into it already. I think I'm at about 25 hours. It doesn't really get that old to me because of how differently it can play each time.

Last game I played the first floor was a labyrinth and I got max tears, ghost baby, and skeleton key all on that floor. Next floor right away I got the noose and the xray specs. I was set for a good while but I never got any damage ups though, so once I got far enough I just couldn't kill things fast enough.

I think I've completed it 3 times now. My most recent time was when I had Ipecac and my tears just obliterated everything. Even against the heart I just stood at the side and held sideways and it was dead in a matter of seconds.

BigAT

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago when it was like $1.50 on steam and I have put soooo much time into it already. I think I'm at about 25 hours. It doesn't really get that old to me because of how differently it can play each time.

Last game I played the first floor was a labyrinth and I got max tears, ghost baby, and skeleton key all on that floor. Next floor right away I got the noose and the xray specs. I was set for a good while but I never got any damage ups though, so once I got far enough I just couldn't kill things fast enough.

I think I've completed it 3 times now. My most recent time was when I had Ipecac and my tears just obliterated everything. Even against the heart I just stood at the side and held sideways and it was dead in a matter of seconds.

25 hours? Novice.

Started playing some days ago, and what an awesome game! I find it interesting that roguelike concepts (randomized levels and permanente death) are on fire these days! Along with Spelunky and FTL, all of them are in my top 5 of the year.

Well, i am really liking the game but i think i am a little lost (and i suppose it is normal). Of course i know part of the fun is to discover the secrets, what each items do, etc... but the problem for me is the lack of explanation about the structure of the game.

First of all, i'm playing on Mac with the expansion... does the expansion run together with the "main game"? Also, i managed to kill the Mother once, is there any other goal that i should have in mind (like secret levels, or harder bosses)?

Can somebody provide some "must-do-things" inside the game for me? I dont care about collecting every stuff, but i would like to visit secret levels and fight the bosses. Thanks!!!

Started playing some days ago, and what an awesome game! I find it interesting that roguelike concepts (randomized levels and permanente death) are on fire these days! Along with Spelunky and FTL, all of them are in my top 5 of the year.

Well, i am really liking the game but i think i am a little lost (and i suppose it is normal). Of course i know part of the fun is to discover the secrets, what each items do, etc... but the problem for me is the lack of explanation about the structure of the game.

First of all, i'm playing on Mac with the expansion... does the expansion run together with the "main game"? Also, i managed to kill the Mother once, is there any other goal that i should have in mind (like secret levels, or harder bosses)?

Can somebody provide some "must-do-things" inside the game for me? I dont care about collecting every stuff, but i would like to visit secret levels and fight the bosses. Thanks!!!
Don't bother looking at the wiki is the only advice I can give. The game is a lot more fun if you just enjoy it yourself and keep at it you're far from finishing the game by just killing mother once.

When you start looking at the wiki you start getting picky with what items you find, which leads to you just constantly abandoning runs because you haven't got what you wanted (which sort of ruins the point of the game)

Just play it and savour the randomness of each run.

Expansion content is mixed in. There are new levels added on at the end, but the new items and bosses are mixed in randomly.

Just keep at it. One important thing to figure out if you haven't already is how to guess where the secret rooms are on each level. You'll be much better prepared for later levels having the extra loot from them.

is mum the final boss in the game?

I got to her but lost despite having the 9 lives cat. Its so random. I did make a mistake of taking the go slow pill thinking it made the enemies slow but it stripped me of all my speed.

decent game. but yeah. weird and strangely compelling to play.

how do you tell where the secret room is?

Deques

is mum the final boss in the game?

I got to her but lost despite having the 9 lives cat. Its so random. I did make a mistake of taking the go slow pill thinking it made the enemies slow but it stripped me of all my speed.

decent game. but yeah. weird and strangely compelling to play.

how do you tell where the secret room is?

Mom was the final boss in the game before all the patches. You are only beginning in the game, so it's still a long way to beat the game

I used this wikia page to look for information
bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Binding_of_Isaac_Wiki

And here is your answer regarding secret rooms
http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Secret_Room

This game. makes me want to smash my controller.

3 hours in and I am still... nowhere. unlocked cain+eve+woman with the wig.

game: find lots of treasures. no keys.
game: find lots of stuff. no bombs.

urrghhh. fuck you BOI!

addictive tho. But I can't play for more than 4 sessions before it drives me insane.

Ferrio

Banned
Been watching Lethalfrag quite often lately. Decided to actually try playing the game. Finally beat Mom's heart after my first try. (ipecac was OP) Regular fight way more harder for me... now to try without Ipecac.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel like the heart would be a lot harder if it wasn't affected by bombs. Even without any bomb related powerups I can kill most of the mini-bosses and spawns as well as significantly damage the heart just by placing a bomb right under it between each wave. Although the same could be said about a lot of parts of BoI. Bombs are pretty OP.

-PXG-

I started playing again, and man I am addicted. After a long a hiatus, I finally beat Sheol. Guppy's paw helped a shit load, giving me a seemingly endless amount of blue hearts. Also, I've been watching the BOILR streams from Crump2 lately, on Twitch.

I love this game so much. I cannot wait for Rebirth.

Joe Molotov

There's nothing like firing up a quick round of BoI and getting that run where you're unstoppable.

Polyphemus + Quad Shot + Mom's Contacts + Speed Ball + Spirit of the Night = Awwww yeah

Chest boss went down in seconds.

Top Bottom