• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I was talking to a buddy about this while we were playing Wildlands. We landed in this random ass farm field and I was talking about feeling bad for the dev who worked on it because nobody would EVER see these plant textures in depth because nobody would ever focus on walking around that game. Half the vegitation and shit is just completely pointless and there just to be there. A blank green grass texture mapped to it would be just as pointless but take up less space.

Wildlands is a bad example cause every dev should have been working on that piss poor shooting and vehicle handling. My wrist hurt after fighting a helicopter for a 5 minute ride.

And shooting is great when you re at a distance and looking down scope, but up close your accuracy drops like a rock.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Hey BCT, I wanted to share this link with you.

Major League Soccer put together this video MLS Black History Month Roundtable

Jozy Altidore, Greg Howard, Lynn Williams, and hosted by Kevin Brown. Conversation about racism in a historically pay to play system, personal experiences, observations about the current state of the game, and what it's like trying to play soccer in America as African Americans.

I am loving the conversation and I thought some of you might too.

I'll check this out after work. Thanks for posting.

I feel like we've reached the peak of what an open world game can be this year in their current form until they finally start breaking conventions or doubling down on immersion. I'm talking "go into any building in the game" level shit.

They just feel more and more stale to me.
That's why I'm so hyped for Zelda, everything being physics based with systems layered on top of each other is super dope to me. Games like Horizon are fun time to time but I adore reactive open worlds.
Red dead redemption 2 should solve this.
Hopefully it doesn't follow GTAV's footsteps, I'd easily call it the best designed open city in a game but outside of missions, it felt lifeless to me. When I booted up Saints Row 2 for the first time, there was a full on gang war outside the first safehouse that I had nothing to do with.
What big game is evwry one getting next?
Zelda, Nier, Persona 5

Beefy

Mass Effect
After Zelda, 100% Mass Effect.
Mass Effect

Same! Trying not to get too hyped for it.

Zelda ...then not sure
There are too many(nier,horizon,persona,Xrd2) so will jump all the way to Tekken 7
Will get one of those if done with Zelda by then
Not a Mass Effect kind of guy?

Zelda, Nier, Persona 5
Never played Persona any good?

Numb

What big game is every one getting next?

Definitely getting Zelda. All types of jandros. Wild jandros, dead jandros, etc.
Don't forget you can also ride Jandro's distant cousin the horned Jandri

giphy.gif

Same! Trying not to get too hyped for it.

Not a open Mass Effect kind of guy?

Left Mass effect at 2

RedSwirl

I feel like we've reached the peak of what an open world game can be this year in their current form until they finally start breaking conventions or doubling down on immersion. I'm talking "go into any building in the game" level shit.

Only game I know of to do this with a really big world is Arma 3 (which is on a bundle right now). The world in that game is about the same size as Wildlands but you can open every door. It's mostly just used as a big-ass multiplayer map though and for that it fulfills its purpose. Other than that user-generated content is what really brings out that game's full potential.

Arma justifies its big-ass map though with large-scale battles involving hundreds of infantry units, tanks, and aircraft interacting at the same time, which requires a lot of space. It's basically like an RTS but in first person and at 1:1 scale.

I was talking to a buddy about this while we were playing Wildlands. We landed in this random ass farm field and I was talking about feeling bad for the dev who worked on it because nobody would EVER see these plant textures in depth because nobody would ever focus on walking around that game. Half the vegitation and shit is just completely pointless and there just to be there. A blank green grass texture mapped to it would be just as pointless but take up less space.

Honestly, I want more games to go in that direction in terms of size but the problem with Wildlands is they ended up making a game for fast, brief sessions. I feel like a slow-paced story-focused game would make better use of that same map. Really I just want something like Skyrim or The Witcher but even bigger.

I still think people should keep trying to make procedurally-generated space games though. No Man's Sky probably ruined that idea for mainstream console games, but other games have shown better ways to do it. A lot of the science-based stuff they said was gonna be in NMS is actually in games like Elite and Space Engine, so the planets feel a lot less random. I just wish somebody would attach a Mass Effect-style storyline to a game like that.

LotusHD

Banned
I really thought XV was gonna skip it, but it looks like the adage of "the least popular Final Fantasy is the most recent one" is still holding up.

I tried to pretend for a little bit that for all its shortcomings I still really enjoyed it, that the ending and shit was great. But in the end, nah... Every time I dwell on it for too long I just get annoyed. Basically the BvS of games for me right now: Had all this potential that it should've easily succeeded with, and yet somehow it didn't.

They doing all these patches and shit though, so I guess I may as well keep it for a long ass time, then replay it and see if my mind is potentially changed. Doubt it though...

I'd hate to be a part of the zeitgeist but I came to the conclusion that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I wanted to. Shame since I followed the game for a decade. At some point after the Zelda/Nier/Persona 5 combo, I'm gonna mainline the story to see it to completion.

They probably gonna make you not want to play it lol, especially Nier most likely. Basically a lower-budget version of it that excels much further in the areas I was hoping XV would do well in.

So... you really need Zelda in your life then huh

What big game is every one getting next?

Zelda, Nier, Persona 5

Honorary mention: Gravity Rush 2 DLC

That's why I'm so hyped for Zelda, everything being physics based with systems layered on top of each other is super dope to me. Games like Horizon are fun time to time but I adore reactive open worlds.

If Zelda can't get me truly hyped over an open world, then probably nothing can this generation. Only other thing that came close was Gravity Rush 2 due to its traversal, but while that was cool af, it didn't really have anything worth finding. Whereas Zelda does, so it's promising to say the least.

Shy

Afternoon BCT
Top of the Mornin' BCT
Top of the mornin' BC.....wait a minute....
Evening fam.

May Spiderman-Jesus bless, and keep you from Lord Mbongo's treachery.
So. What are the odds Uber completely collapses?
I don't know, about but i fucking hope they do.

Fuck all those style companies.
Don't forget you can also ride Jandro's distant cousin the horned Jandri

giphy.gif
SjeLu9Y.gif

Left Mass effect at 2
You didn't miss a damn thing.
So we can finally go full Ashitaka?
Fuck yeah baby!

Numb

Xscape are reuniting
Wonder if feenix already got tickets
Damn, Kingdom Hearts is this month?

Conversely, you can listen to the devil and know what you'd be getting into by watching others play it. That's why I'm deciding to wait a bit after launch.

Don't need to see much info or opinions on games most of the time after deciding to buy
Unless they suddenly turn complete trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom