• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
missed the fight but this apparently is the big takeaway from it according to the thread:
canelobispl.gif

got damn

Never saw it coming!

Verse 1

Verse 2

Verse 3
Now that we caught up......

The feeling of coming home after a long absence is strange. Homecomings are supposed to be happy times. Times that fill you with joy and pleasure. Even in the bad times or in my case a funeral to a woman I barely knew. After I made the appropriate calls, I called her up. She answered and I broke down what happened. I asked her where she was , she said in the parking lot. I said damn you move fast , she said she had been looking forward to this since she had dropped me off this morning. I told her to come on in. She met me at the door we kissed and we talked. And nothing else went down. She did the one thing a woman has never done for me at that point. She was a friend
I sat in the airport awaiting my flight and it hit me I didnt set up someone to pick me up when I got there. I was distracted. My mind was all over not just because of the funeral but because I was going back home. I had been away far too long and it was all overwhelming. I began to scroll through the numbers and called my "brother". He answered by the fourth ring. I told him what was going on and that I needed him to pick me up from New Orleans. He agreed and said that he would have a surprise for me at the airport. Knowing him I didnt ask what, I asked who? And in that moment I was taken aback.

Imagine if you can 2 mother fuckers that shouldnt be friends. Two different backgrounds with a few commonalities where it mattered. It was the late 90's and in Baton Rouge they were shifting districts so cats from one neighborhood were now in someone else neighborhood going to school. The first 3 weeks more motherfuckers got expelled then in the last 15 years combined. My brother and I met trying to get up with the same female. He used to roll with me to the movie theater that I worked catching free movies and fucking females in the empty theaters while I cleaned and earned that paper. We were fucking inseperable, he had the wheels and I had the ideas. He and I were in the same mind set always ALWAYS running after pussy. It was a vicious competition between us albeit friendly. This was the cat that we rolled to the mall after practice, smelling like fucking horses and tried to see who could pull the most numbers. Those years we didnt have a fucking care in the world. Nothing could stop us and we knew it. We ran like we were kings of the city and everyone else were our loyal subjects. We got along so well because we both understood that it wasnt about fucking the shit out of a womans body to have her coming, it was about fucking her mind as well. We knew at an early age that dick could only get you so far, you had to have total dominance of the mind to keep them coming back for more. To never stray anywhere else. To be that drug that they couldnt detox. Then she came into the picture.

My brother and I had rolled to the theater on one of our many escapades. And thats when we saw them. 5'10 statuesque and thick where it mattered. Lucious lips, I mean the kind that was built for putting in long hours. She had this light brown skin, the color of caramel candy. But it was her eyes that grabbed me. She had an almost sleepy look, the kinda look that you know a person is either in deep thought or high as hell. Sounds familiar doesnt it. She was standing next to an exceedingly beautiful creole female with long black hair and skin like the setting sun. There wasnt an imperfection to be had on this woman. Everything was perfect. Of course standing next to this woman, "Caramel" wasnt shit, so when I approached I knew it would catch them both off guard. I started with all the new classics and asked how was their night going. Never once did I take my eyes off Caramel. As Creole kept talking she thought I was like any other brother that was trying to holla because these girls commanded that much attention. But when I went to ask for the number before Creole could even utter a word, I looked directly at Caramel and said "I was talking to you." Their jaws both dropped, and thats when I knew I was in. This was the beginning of the 3rd biggest mistake of my life. Caramel was the first female I took to meet Moms. It was all love and good times until I graduated. Thats when she got a taste of the world and realized I was too nice. And for me it wasnt me fucking her rather it was her fucking me. She had my mind. All the while im thinking she needed me, I couldnt roll anywhere without taking her. Eventually I wised up and turned the tables. And left her ass behind to make something of me. But even in basic she was writing letters missing me, claiming my family. She realized I was the one she wanted. One of the "good ones", the one that would save her from the shit she got herself into over the time we were apart. She thought I was her hero. And to be honest I couldnt give 2 shits.

New Orleans was just as I left it. Muggy as fuck and hot as shit. The kinda wet heat that everything stuck to you. It was the kinda weather you could taste. A stark contrast from NC in everyway but ill be damned if I didnt love every sweltering degree. I was back at the place of my birth and it felt good. I know im back for fucked up reasons, but a feeling of calm hit me harder than tragedy ever could. I had a week to do what I had to. A week to show everyone I left behind how much ive "improved". I picked up my cell phone and turned it back on. I had a couple messages and I began to check them. One was from my mother asking where I was. Another from my sister just returning from Alaska where she was stationed asking, yet again, where I was. And the third was from her. "Rio I hope you had a safe trip. When you get a minute give me a call and let me know everything is-" I dropped my phone. In front of me holding my bag is my brother and his girlfriend, Tweet. Beside her this statuesque female with long black hair and Caramel skin. The years were kind. Very Kind. And before I could speak, she had those lips wrapped around mine. Her smell brought me back to being a teenager. Her kiss was forceful and gentle. There was pure emotion. It felt.... right.

"I miss you baby. I hope you like what you see because ive been saving it all for you." We walked outside the terminal to the parking area where a grey SUV had been parked. I loaded my bags and walked to the passenger seat, when I was stopped. Caramel grabbed my hand and dropped the keys in my palm.
"I told you baby, its all for you."
I had a dime, a whip, money and family. All I had to do was make it through the week and bury my stepmom.

What could possibly go wrong......

Cleaning guy at my store came up to me at 4 am and asked me if I knew who one the fight.

When I told him PBF it looked like he took a bite out of a salt sandwich on a pretzel bun.

LOL

Yahoo comments really don't get the spotlight they deserve.
n160RDC.jpg

They make Youtube comments look like NPR comments. Article was about Paula Deen. 1.8k likes.

I remember watching an episode of Police Squad a long time ago, and Drebin was in a key shop where they did a slow pan over the types of keys-car keys, house keys, honkeys. A typical Police Squad sight gag.

It's not a 1:1 situation.

Brother Rio keeps bringing tha flaming ink!

harSon

Banned
Fight was closer than the thread would have you believe. Interesting strategy from Canelo's corner to start off not giving 100% (I'm assuming to save energy for later rounds) but after some questionable stuff from both fighters Canelo got mad and never got his head straight. Legit win by Mayweather but Canelo wasn't outclassed, just outplayed.

I think we may have been watching completely different fights.

harSon

Banned
Canelo shouldn't have even been in the same ring as Mayweather.

Word.

Mayweather made Canelo look like a complete scrub. You can say Canelo had heart and never quit until your face turns red, but at the end of the day, Mayweather made Canelo look like an unseasoned amateur.

You can probably count the number of clean punches that Canelo landed on a set of hands. Dude was punching shoulders, elbows, hands and the air for the entirety of the fight. His cleanest punch of the night was to the ropes lmao.

0000.gif

BlackJace

Please y'all, do everything possible to steer clear of any and all contact with cops. They can shoot you for no goddamn reason and get away with it. Fuck all that.

Which states are particularly unsafe for black folk? I've always known the Carolinas are a no-go, same with Virginia and Florida. Is it easier to lists ones that are safe?

Canelo shouldn't have even been in the same ring as Mayweather.

Word.

Mayweather made Canelo look like a complete scrub. You can say Canelo had heart and never quit until your face turns red, but at the end of the day, Mayweather made Canelo look like an unseasoned amateur.

You can probably count the number of clean punches that Canelo landed on a set of hands. Dude was punching shoulders, elbows, hands and the air for the entirety of the fight. His cleanest punch of the night was to the ropes lmao.

I don't know if y'all really watch Boxing or if you're biased due to being Mayweather fans or what but it clearly was not that one sided. The 116-112 Score reflects what I had on my card. And the punch stats show that while Mayweather had a better performance than previously, Canelo landed more than Mayweathers previous opponents.

Overall, Mayweather landed 46 percent of his punches (232 of 505) and 52 percent of his power shots (93 of 175).

Over his last 10 fights, according to CompuBox, Mayweather had landed 41 percent of his punches on average, with his opponents at just 17 percent.

Alvarez had similar trouble, landing just 22 percent of his punches overall (117 of 526). He had landed 42 percent of his total punches in his previous seven fights.

Source:http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2013/09/compubox_floyd_mayweather_uses.html

So Floyd did what he does. Landed and made Canelo miss, but Canelo did better than most people Floyd fight. He just didn't land any shots that visibly affected Mayweather.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know if y'all really watch Boxing or if you're biased due to being Mayweather fans or what but it clearly was not that one sided. The 116-112 Score reflects what I had on my card. And the punch stats show that while Mayweather had a better performance than previously, Canelo landed more than Mayweathers previous opponents.

Source:http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2013/09/compubox_floyd_mayweather_uses.html

So Floyd did what he does. Landed and made Canelo miss, but Canelo did better than most people Floyd fight. He just didn't land any shots that visibly affected Mayweather.
The vast majority of the punches Canelo threw ended up visibly affecting nothing other than Mayweather's shoulder and ended up with him getting caught on the way out each and every time. He could not attack him at all.

Whole fight:
iv7cSXLM0ATND.gif

ihnUgjAO1swyI.gif

Canelo was getting ate up in nearly every attempt he made at Mayweather's defense. The only time he 'won' any round was when Mayweather seemed utterly content to let Canelo tire himself out with more punches that threatened no one.

It wasn't close.

The vast majority of the punches Canelo threw ended up visibly affecting nothing other than Mayweather's shoulder and ended up with him getting caught on the way out each and every time. He could not attack him at all.

Canelo was getting ate up in nearly every attempt he made at Mayweather's defense. The only time he 'won' any round was when Mayweather seemed utterly content to let Canelo tire himself out with more punches that threatened no one.

A lot more punches get through Mayweathers defense than people ever give credit for. I don't even know why people exaggerate his blocks either because it doesn't need to be exaggerated as his defense is known to be above average.

Canelo's landed punches being ineffective isn't really accurate. Floyd's got what is probably the best conditioning in sports today so the body work doesn't show the same way it would on another fighter. It's not like Canelo was playing patty cake in there. And while Canelo didn't land any gif worthy head shaking shots and Mayweather did, it's worth noting that Mayweathers power was just as ineffectual against Canelo. He was never hurt and even when he let Mayweather pot shot him with what was like 7-10 unanswered shots against the ropes in Rnd 5 or 6, Alverez was never in trouble. The mid-rounds were the only rounds that were really dominated by Mayweather while the rest of them were largely just jabs and movement. He still won more rounds but it was not a sparring session.

Even throwing out C.J. Ross' card, the other two judges also have close rounds given to Canelo through his effective work and aggression.

There's no doubt Mayweather won the fight but it was not a 12 round shut out.

It wasn't close.

It was closer than the hyperbole getting thrown around that Canelo didn't deserve to be in there represents.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
A lot more punches get through Mayweathers defense than people ever give credit for. I don't even know why people exaggerate his blocks either because it doesn't need to be exaggerated as his defense is known to be above average.
...lol

Canelo's landed punches being ineffective isn't really accurate. Floyd's got what is probably the best conditioning in sports today so the body work doesn't show the same way it would on another fighter. It's not like Canelo was playing patty cake in there. And while Canelo didn't land any gif worthy head shaking shots and Mayweather did, it's worth noting that Mayweathers power was just as ineffectual against Canelo. He was never hurt and even when he let Mayweather pot shot him with what was like 7-10 unanswered shots against the ropes in Rnd 5 or 6, Alverez was never in trouble. The mid-rounds were the only rounds that were really dominated by Mayweather while the rest of them were largely just jabs and movement. He still won more rounds but it was not a sparring session.

Even throwing out C.J. Ross' card, the other two judges also have close rounds given to Canelo through his effective work and aggression.

There's no doubt Mayweather won the fight but it was not a 12 round shut out.

It was closer than the hyperbole getting thrown around that Canelo didn't deserve to be in there represents.
Dude never threatened Mayweather once. All he did was keep on his feet while being completely outclassed. His power wasn't even a factor in this match. He got outboxed in every sense of the word. Its not hyperbole to say Canelo didn't belong.

Dude never threatened Mayweather once. All he did was keep on his feet while being completely outclassed. His power wasn't even a factor in this match. He got outboxed in every sense of the word. Its not hyperbole to say Canelo didn't belong.

By that logic who belongs then? There are a lot of guys who Mayweather beat in a much more dominant fashion. Even guys like Mosley who rocked May ended up getting beat up in the later rounds worse than Canelo. It's definitely hyperbole to say Canelo didn't belong. It's insulting to his talent which is something even Mayweather acknowledges.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Three reasons I support Community...

1) Alison Brie
2) So girls can keep calling me a young Joel McHale
3) Annie's Boobs

Top Bottom