• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The hell it does. Peter is crazy smart, but he is a slacker. Never really applied himself, UNTIL Ben's death.

I'm just saying that it's not an angle that people relate to. Everyone likes to relate to the unpopular misfit in high school and can get into the fantasy of gaining super powers and becoming special during that period of their life. It's the the same reason why Star Wars was so popular.

I just think him being a super genius prodigy on the side gets in the way of that fantasy

Yeah I think part of why comic book movies bore me is because the main focus of the writing is in the CG spectacle and not the characters nor their smart ass quips. This is why the Avengers and Iron Man are in my top comic book films. Too bad Iron Man went to shit in the sequel.

Well everyone is saying that ASM2 is more about Pete and Gwen than Spiderman vs Villians. That sounds fine by me.

I'm just saying that it's not an angle that people relate to. Everyone likes to relate to the unpopular misfit in high school and can get into the fantasy of gaining super powers and becoming special during that period of their life. It's the the same reason why Star Wars was so popular.

I just think him being a super genius prodigy on the side gets in the way of that fantasy

Being as smart as Peter is supposed to be makes sense as to why he is a misfit. He wants to be normal but just can't find the right words to say or the right way to act. He's a genius that isn't very athletic, kind of on the weaker side, and the only thing that makes him special is the same thing that keeps him from relating to other high schoolers.

Village

there has been the growing under current of folks that think comic movies should be nothing like the comics. Why even try?

I do think the movies should take from the comics.

however I don't hold the comics to some magical " nothing they do is dumb standerd" I like the dumb stuff they do. The entire premise of aquaman is really dumb and I love aquaman.

However there are some parts of comics that are just dumb, I cannot defend them and do not contribute anything. Like ice breath, artificial webshooters are DUUUUMB.

Slayven

I do think the movies should take from the comics.

however I don't hold the comics to some magical " nothing they do is dumb standerd" I like the dumb stuff they do. The entire premise of aquaman is really dumb and I love aquaman.

However there are some parts of comics that are just dumb, I cannot defend them and do not contribute anything. Like ice breath, artificial webshooters are DUUUUMB.

Thank god for marvel showing the world will accept comic stuff warts and all.

Village

Thank god for marvel showing the world will accept comic stuff warts and all.

Eh, I have no idea about that. They are not opposed to " this looks or is convoluted or sounds dumb change it to make it fit" They will let a lot of stuff in, but don't pretend like pre-new hawk eye wasn't a thing. And looked all types of dumb.

Or the newest example, the falcon.

Artificial webshooter make sense when you look at it like this. The spider bite gave Peter some of the physical attributes of a spider and also gave him the understanding of how spiders work. Combine that with his natural genius and you have a really smart person making web fluid and the shooters. The organic ones are lazy and take away from Peter's curiousness and love of chemistry. Which was his main field of study in the comics before he went full on physics.

EDIT: Hawkeye's costume is based off of the ultimate version of him.

Village

Here is my issue.

when you make a character

Called

SPIDER man.

Think , honestly. What are first things that come to mind when you think of spiders. One of those things, he didn't get in lieu of super strength. WAT?

Crawling on walls, eating bugs.

If you want to go with this "must have organic webbing that's what spiders do" crap, you might as well say he needs to shoot it out of his rectal area.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I never got why they shot out of his wrists in the movie

or what they were shooting out of

If you want to go with this "must have organic webbing that's what spiders do" crap, you might as well say he needs to shoot it out of his rectal area.

brown+widow.png

Village

ya'll some oppositional punks.

Its better than random " oh hey is super strong now... yeah ... thats what spders are known for"

Its like you got bit by a radioactive cheetah, and you gained fur, a tail some claws, but instead of their speed, you got the cheetah's skittishness and lack of sexual drive.

Its an unnecessary nerf, why spiderman gotta take web mana potions.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost as if they were anticipating the conversation going in this direction

Another good point although they got the number of eyes wrong, I think some have 6 but like 99% have 8.

When I think of spiders I think 8 eyes. Why does he only have two still?

ya'll some oppositional punks.

Its better than random " oh hey is super strong now... yeah ... thats what spders are known for"

Its like you got bit by a radioactive cheetah, and you gained fur, a tail some claws, but instead of their speed, you got the cheetah's skittishness and lack of sexual drive.

Its an unnecessary nerf, why spiderman gotta take web mana potions.

Your argument is still weak though. Most of the heroes named after a thing don't have to take on every aspect of said thing. That's asinine.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
there has been the growing under current of folks that think comic movies should be nothing like the comics. Why even try?

which i dont understand. because they'll pop off lines like that, but then claim that acting nothing like he the source character is better than the source itself/ if you dont want a spider man movie, why see a spider man movie?

Fox wants to ruin Gambit all over again.

Cool.

gambit is comics private little joke, and aqua man is a public one. hes been getting shit on a lot. he had that whack bowl cut in evolution, and whatever the hell that was in origins. hes still dope in comics though

the brown widow was dope

gambit is comics private little joke, and aqua man is a public one. hes been getting shit on a lot. he had that whack bowl cut in evolution, and whatever the hell that was in origins. hes still dope in comics though

X-Men TAS is Gambit at his coolest and still cheesy.

Slayven

ive been asking myself that for a while. im guessing a lot of the cameos
are just there to be wiped out by sentinels or to lead to AoA. so blink, sunspot and bishop are about to become craters

naw, thats current cyclops

Fox says no minority mutants.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Spider's balls don't hang son

Evidence of Spiderman being a fraud just keeps on piling up

Village

Your argument is still weak though. Most of the heroes named after a thing don't have to take on every aspect of said thing. That's asinine.

When you get bit by a radio active spider and gain super super strength over webs, that shit is DUUUUMB.

I don't know where you are getting this slippery slope " well you might as well have him take all the spider traits " crap from.

A lot of spider crap that spiders do isn't important, but they chose one of the most important things, and did not give it to him. WHY? Why would you do that?

Slayven

When you get bit by a radio active spider and gain super super strength over webs, that shit is DUUUUMB.

I don't know where you are getting this slippery slope " well you might as well have him take all the spider traits " crap from.

A lot of spider crap that spiders do isn't important, but they chose one of the most important things, and did not give it to him. WHY? Why would you do that?

They would hate Animal Man.

Parallax

the webbing isnt the most important thing to being a spider though. the speed is.

I'm just not seeing the big deal here, like at all. Writers don't have to give a trait you deem the most important to any character named after a creature.

It's not a slippery slope, point is you're getting bent out of shape about one characteristic of spiders excluded from Spiderman biologically.

A spider's strength is one of its most important attributes.

I already explained why they chose not to give it to him. They wanted to show how the spider bite changed the way he thinks. It added to his genius. Biologically it just made him stronger and gave him an extra sense. It didn't produce extra glands and he didn't grow any extra parts. It's that simple.

Slayven

I already explained why they chose not to give it to him. They wanted to show how the spider bite changed the way he thinks. It added to his genius. Biologically it just made him stronger and gave him an extra sense. It didn't produce extra glands and he didn't grow any extra parts. It's that simple.

That Spider strength
Therak choking a bitch.

837486-th1.jpg

Parallax

could you imagine how painful it would be to grow spinnerette glands? or how much he would have to eat to use them? with them being in his wrists, hed probably end up looking like popeye or franky at the end of the day

Village

I'm just not seeing the big deal here, like at all. Writers don't have to give a trait you deem the most important to any character named after a creature.

It's not a slippery slope, point is you're getting bent out of shape about one characteristic of spiders excluded from Spiderman biologically.
They don't, not all writers ( epically people who came up with comic characters ) are the most practical thinkers either. The entire premise of artificial web shooters is an over thought. Its more work. " then they would have to explain where it comes from " they don't have to explain anything its a comic book. Artificially web shooters are unnecessary explanation

Why stop the realism buck there. Why after the entire insane premise of spider man, " web shooting out of his arms naturally? TOO FAR bring it back to reality here. He creates a machine that shoots the webs for him, the more practical explanation "

I hope i am not coming of super duper angry, im not. I just think the fake web shooters are dumb. Thats it.

the webbing isnt the most important thing to being a spider though. the speed is.

You know what, I respectfully dissagree.

IF i were to design a spider character webs and air movement would be primary directive, everything else is extra

There are so many ways you could show a character got smarter its not even funny.

Slayven

They don't, not all writers ( epically people who came up with comic characters ) are the most practical thinkers either. The entire premise of artificial web shooters is an over thought. Its more work. " then they would have to explain where it comes from " they don't have to explain anything its a comic book. Artificially web shooters are unnecessary explanation

Why stop the realism buck there. Why after the entire insane premise of spider man, " web shooting out of his arms naturally? TOO FAR bring it back to reality here. He creates a machine that shoots the webs for him, the more practical explanation "

I hope i am not coming of super duper angry, im not. I just think the fake web shooters are dumb. Thats it.

You know what, I respectfully dissagree.

IF i were to design a spider character webs and air movement would be primary directive, everything else is extra

There are so many ways you could show a character got smarter its not even funny.
You don't work for DC then. Black Spider, he shoots people

Top Bottom